Bear Creek Golf Complex - Bear Course

Caddies: No
GPS: No

Dress code: No tank tops or cutoffs.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

The Bear Course is one of two courses at the Bear Creek Golf Complex; it is a championship-length course while the other, the Cub Course, is an executive length course. The Bear Course is an inland, links-style course with rolling fairways and well-manicured greens. Strategically placed bunkers situated throughout the course add some challenge to the course. A round of golf on this course can be played in less than four hours. The Bear Creek Golf Complex, in addition to the two courses, also offers a full grass driving range, two putting greens, and a short game area with a bunker.

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for locals seniors advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Nice course hanging strong"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2018

Enjoyed playing here but this round was a little rough. The staff and amenities are amazing but the course was a little beat up. Several greens had areas of dirt or mounds of dirt where work is being done. Will return but understanding that work is being done to improve some areas.

"Where do I start"

themurph86's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2018

So greens where slow bumpy and in rough shape, i get it that happens and golf advisor warned me going in. None of the outside ops staff even came to the bag drop just looked up from the shade when i pulled up and i got my bag and took them down myself. Did the same to the three cars after me. 100 degree day. No ice in the cart cooler in the three carts i checkef guess its grab your own cart there. No water on the course to refill what i did bring thankfully i brought a bottle saw the bev cart once on the 9th fairway. No starter to be found so just checked my phone and when it was time just went. Got to listen to music from other groups some of them 200 yards away no course ranger to be found people want music fine but i shouldnt have to be subjected to terrible speed metal from 2 faiways over. Joined the group in front of me as we and everyone behind us waited for the foursome in front of them with four open holes we passed them at the turn. 2:40 first nine. 1:25 second nine. no one addressed any of this stuff. Guess that was our job too just like everything else. It would be a 1 star but the layout is solid. Its a real DIY experience so dont expect a high end or even passible experience not what you would expect service wise in the Phoenix area. Dont think i will be back.

"GOOD TIME"

PaulCon881's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

COURSE WAS IN GOOD SHAPE, THEY ARE WORKING ON THE GREENS WHICH MADE PUTTING A REAL ADVENTURE :-))

Commented on 05/17/2018

Glad you had a great time Paul! Our greens are coming back nicely and looking forward to having them 100% back soon. Thank you for your loyalty!

"Old Favorite"

3puttforthewin's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I used to play Bear Creek all the time when I lived in the East Valley, but since moving fairly far north, I haven't had the chance. Man did I miss this place!

Course staff was super friendly, from greeting me when I walked up, to the pro-shop staff that checked me in! I was a bit earlier for my tee-time, so I had some breakfast. It was great, the server was very knowledgeable of the facility and very easy to talk to.

Course was in great shape for this time of year, a bit firm, but nothing that hindered my game in any way. If nothing else, it made the greens much quicker than most courses I have been to lately.

Tee'd off around 8am (right on time) and played in just under 4 hours, a perfect Mother's Day!

I wish I lived closer as I used to play here once a week. Course is definitely under better management now. Can't wait to see what kind of improvements are to come.

Thanks to the staff for allowing my group to have a great day, filled with friendly faces and warm welcomes!

Commented on 05/17/2018

Thank you for the great feedback and for making the "long drive" to play Bear Creek! Glad to hear our staff took great care of you. Hope you had a great Mother's Day and we look forward to having you back sooner than later.

Thank you!

"The greens are brutal"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2018

For the money there are much better alternatives. Almost all the greens had sizable chunks of new sod sitting in the middle of a dead patch. Quite easily the worst greens I've seen in the Phoenix area.

The rest of the course seemed fairly well taken care of, and the pace of play was excellent. Got through 18 in three and a half hours. Wide open layout, even if you spray it you'll probably still be in play.

Commented on 05/17/2018

Thank you for coming out to play and for your honest feedback! Bear Creek - Bear Course experienced some challenges this season on the greens and we are working hard to create a long term solution to the problem. Our greens are about 90% back and should be back to its normal conditions soon. If you would like to further discuss the course conditions with us, please feel free to call us at 480-883-8200 and our General Manager would be more than happy to speak with you.

Thank you!

Donsgolf1284's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

"Greens condition could have been better"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Bear Creek is my local course. It's a fun place to play. We were surprised in the greens condition. Some were ok to pretty good and some were pretty bad. Didn't see the cart girl until the back 9 on a Saturday. I'll play there again though!

Commented on 05/17/2018

Thank you for coming out to play Bear Creek and for your comments. We experienced an unforeseen challenge on our greens over the cooler months and are working hard to get them back. We are almost back and are looking forward to the hot summer months to get them where they need to be for now and many years to come.

Saturday's are busy days at Bear Creek and we'll make sure our staff keeps you informed on our beverage cart service throughout your round.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Bear Creek

"Worst greens in the valley"

pmshift123's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

I had not played this course in awhile so I thought I would give it a try. I really can't think of a word that would adequately describe how poor the condition of the greens are... "heinous".

The greens are so bad right now, I can't believe they are charging people to play. Pass on this course until they fix this issue.

Commented on 05/17/2018

PMshift123 - Thank you for playing golf with us and for sharing your feedback. We are sorry you had such a regretful experience on our greens. We would like an opportunity to speak to you directly. Please call us at 480-883-8200 and ask to speak to our General Manager who will be more than happy to listen and discuss your concerns.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2018

Overall the course was ok but the greens were terrible

Commented on 05/17/2018

Thank you for playing golf with us and for sharing your feedback.

We're sorry to hear you had a poor experience on our greens. We'd like an opportunity to speak with you directly. Please call us at 480-883-8200 and ask to speak to our General Manager as he would like to further understand your comments.

Bear Creek

"Shame what they have done to this course."

chriskelley's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

I have been playing this course regularly since the clubhouse was just a trailer after it first opened. I have always been able to trust that the course is in great condition no matter what time of year, that is until now. Whoever has taken over this course should be ashamed of themselves. It is impossible to putt on greens this bad and the attempts at patching that is more dead than the rest of green is a joke. Time for new management quickly before this once great course turns into the next Club West and becomes virtually a complete loss.

Chriskelley,

Thank you for playing golf with us and for sharing your honest feedback. The Bear Course at Bear Creek experienced an unforeseen issue on its greens and we are working hard to create a long term solution to a problem which had been growing for years. It would be our pleasure to take the time to fully explain this to you. Please contact our golf shop at 480-883-8200 and ask to speak to our General Manager who is eager to answer any questions and share his knowledge with you.

printman77's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

"Needs work"

davidspoehr's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2018

Course has gone downhill since change of ownership a short time ago. Greens need a lot of work . But you don’t see anyone working. Walkers pay the same rate as riders. Locals pay the same as tourists. No drinking water on the course.

Davidspoehr,

Thank you for playing golf with us at Bear Creek and for sharing you feedback. The course has experienced a challenge with its greens but we have been working hard to rectify the issue and create a long term solution to an issue that has been building up for years. We'd appreciate the opportunity to further discuss this with you and provide you with all the knowledge we have. Please call our golf shop at 480-883-8200 and ask to speak to the General Manager who is looking forward to answering any and all questions.

Bear Creek

"Best to play elsewhere right now"

jamestnorth's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

Bear Creek has historically been a very nice course to play. It was designed by Jack Nicklaus, and the layout is fun to play. However, the course is under new management, and apparently the new group does not care to water the course. The greens are terrible- dried out, patchy, and on #4, there was a 3’ x 3’ chunk cut out of the green (obviously with the intent to repair, but c’mon). I will not be playing this course until winter (hoping the new management group does what is needed to restore this course to as good as it can be).

Jamestnorth,

Thank you for playing golf with us at Bear Creek and for sharing your feedback. We'd appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments and concerns. Please call our golf shop at 480-883-8200 and ask to speak to our General Manager. He would like to discuss your concerns and explain what happened to the greens.

"Course in bad shape"

Robert3230284's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

Course is in very bad shape. Fairways are dried out with lots of bald spots, particularly around greens. Greens are terrible. Hardly any grass. It’s like putting on gravel. Do not recommend playing this course until they fix it. Maybe late fall.

Robert,

Thank you for playing golf with us at Bear Creek and for your feedback. We truly do apologize for the course conditions you encountered. The Bear Course experienced some unforeseen challenges over the winter and we are doing everything we can to rectify the issues. Our new General Manager would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you and further explain what happened and what we are doing to create a long term solution to the issues. Please call us in the golf shop at 480-883-8200 and ask to speak with our General Manager.

Bear Creek!

"What happened to this course"

Jacob3536516's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2018

Unbelievable. I can not understand why the course is in such horrible condition this time of year. I’ve never seen this course this bad even thru the summer months. Why would you hire a superintendent that ruined the last course he was at. His reputation has followed him. Your General Manager should be ashamed of the course conditions over the past 9 months. Perhaps he should questioned about his ability and vision of how conditions should be. It will take a lot of convincing and resemble pricing to come back to this track. I think I should be paid to play this course. Not me pay to play it.

"What Happened?"

rakriz23's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

The course, which used to be in very good shape in all aspects, now has greens

which are dry, patchy, lumpy and generally in a lousy condition.

This is city (Chandler) owned but managed by someone else. The regular prices

are up from last year and the course is in a worse shape than last year.

"will never golf at Bear Creek again"

topgun1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018
Used cart Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

I have been golfing for over 20 years and enjoy it regardless of how my game may be that day. I have golfed most courses in the valley, more so in the east valley. I was thoroughly disgusted when I played Bear Creek this past Wednesday. All 18 greens were basically bare patches of dirt. Apparently they have a soil or fungus issue. The frustrating part is there is no information when you book your tee time that the course is in such bad shape nor do they tell you when you check in. And they have the nerve to charge you full price. It wasn't only our foursome, I heard it from EVERY group that was playing. Poor form on the course not to advise players prior. I have never left a review before this but felt compelled to warn other golfers.

rtwillard's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2018

"Has potential"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2018

I have played 8 different courses while on vacation and the greens on Bear Creek were the absolute worst. Bumpy, brown, dry, and hardly any grass on 90% of the greens.I would say the fees should have been around $20 per round given the condition of those greens.I played there two years ago and the greens were in much better condition.

RG7A022740E4A919CE0's avatar