Style Parkland
The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Ross Bridge

Year Built 2005
Architect Roger Rulewich (2005)

Carts Yes - $20

Bar

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 6

Bad day for golf

They should have closed the course. Cart path only and the cart paths were miles from the tees...fairways and greens. Greens were bumpy from aeration...some bunkers were washed out. Fantastic scenery. It was our first time playing golf in the south in February and we did not know what to expect...but it was our tenth round in two weeks and most of the other courses were in better shap at half the cost

Tennessee Advisor

Wonderful winter conditions...smooth putting surfaces

This was a second time playing this course and the first time in winter (December 2019). It was a beautiful morning, crisp weather, sun shining, and whisps of fogs acros the fairways on the first few holes. Often courses have a considerable drop off in quality during the winter, even in the South. I was very pleased with the playing conditions and the green surfaces. The clubhouse crew was very accommodating and even warned us of damaged green from a local hudlum. Whether this is the best of the RTJ course in Birmingham or not is up for debate, but I was as happy as I have been at all the RTJ course I have played. Play them all and let us all know.

Beautiful course

My wife and I played today for the first time. The views on the course are beautiful. The course is very fair. I played the combo orange/white tees, 6500 yards, which I thought was right for my 8 handicap game. My wife enjoyed the course as well. We look forward to playing it again in the future.

fabulous!

got a great rate (85/person) from the bag person through the starter, the staff was very friendly. the starter even drove us through the first hole pointing out the nuances of that and other holes. the greens were in great shape and rolled at moderate speed. ball marks seemed to be cleaned up and fairway divots were in good shape. bunkers had nice sand too. layout was nice and fairways wide, though still plenty of places to get in trouble (water, woods, bunkers) we were paired up with another couple for the back nine as the course ranger asked for such. that was a nice touch and showed the friendliness of staff. even the grounds crew was nice as they stopped mowing if they saw you were either putting or hitting. the hotel and surrounding area was nice too and exemplified a resort course setting. while the rack rate of 140 may be too high for that course our rate made it a fantastic value.. even the practice area was very expansive and looked to be in better condition than most courses we have played.

we would definitely go back and play again as it is a destination resort.

Always a great place to play!

Ross Bridge is clearly the best of the RTJ trail’s Birmingham courses. The price reflects this; however, less expensive pricing is available for certain times of day. Like every course on the trail, there are myriad tees to accommodate all skill levels. Generous fairways and large greens make for a fun experience. In the colder months, look for the over-seeding of incredibly green rye grass that keeps the course looking top notch. Lastly, the resort has great amenities, food, etc. for those who want to “stay and play.” The other two trail courses are just a couple of minutes away.

Highly recommend!

DJ

Great day at Ross Bridge.

The green fee at 12:00 was $115.00 + tax. Sounds high for a public course but in my humble opinion it’s worth it. The course is kept in excellent condition and there are more than enough tee boxes for every skill level. It’s a resort style course with generous fairways and large bent grass greens.

High and low HCP golfers will really enjoy this course provided each player competed from the correct tees.

One of the Most Beautiful

One of the most beautiful courses I have played, and i’ve In 45 different states (only 5 to go)!
Great layout! Great condition. Greens immaculate, if not a bit slower than expected. I’d play it again in a heartbeat!!!

Georgia Advisor

Awesome Coure and Great Conditions - SLOW Pace of Play

I have played Ross Bridge several times and each time I love the course and the course conditions. Ross Bridge was a truly outstanding course.

The practice area is great (driving range with lots of targets, great chipping and pitching area and fun (and huge) putting green with balls provided at the range included in the greens fees price.

You have many options on each tee shot which enables you to take risks or enjoy a more peaceful approach to the green. Overall, it is a beautiful course that I will definitely play again.

The worst part of the entire day is the pace of play. There were four groups of golfers waiting on hole #14. It was pretty much the same for the entire back nine. The worst part is that I saw the course marshall four times during my round and never once did the pace of play pick up. The pace of play is AWFUL every time I play Ross Bridge. What a shame. Amazing course, terrible service and pace of play!!!

Enjoy a great course but be ready for a 5 to 6 hour round of golf!!!

Poor course management

Poor course management for a premium destination. Expect a really long day (5+ hours) and a lot of waiting on all shots. Management not interested in keeping pace up or help nudge slow groups to let others through.

You will get the classic, "oh sorry about that but thanks for coming out".

Outstanding conditions and layout; service did not measure up

This is a great layout. The holes are very interesting and well designed. Bunkers and water both matter ... a lot . The variety of tee boxes provides the right level of challenge for all levels of golfer.

Conditions were great. Course is in terrific shape.

There is no GPS in the carts, a serious miss for a course at this level.

Unfortunately, the service did not match the great course. It was impossible to get food at the turn (no server available and a staff member telling us we had to hurry). The beverage/food cart only found us twice in 5 hours. And then, it was not fully stocked (couldn't even provide two sandwiches). Our playing partners reported very long waits in the clubhouse for breakfast before our round. Just didn't measure up.

Missouri Advisor

Paint me a Birmingham

Played this course in April a few years back on our way to Augusta for the Masters.... Fun course. Good condition. Heard it was one of the top RTJ courses but haven't played them all so can't say that for certain... Only downfall was a really slow pace of play.

Beautiful Course! Challenging But Fun!

Nicest course I've ever played in terms of course conditions. Each green was like a carpet and the fairways rolled nice and long. This is a challenging course, but depending on which tees you shoot from you can have a decent round. I shot from the white tees (2nd ones back) and managed to hit a few pars and even a birdie on a par 5. Very few flat fairways (like most RTJ courses) but I didn't mind. Lots of water too. Would definitely return if I were to get another coupon for a free round, as this course is on the pricey side.

Wonderful course.

Ross Bridge was a truly outstanding course. You have many options on each shot which enables you to take risks or enjoy a more peaceful approach round of golf. There was a mix of golf holes that were relatively flat or had significant elevation changes. Overall, it was a beautiful course that I would love to play again.

Cart paths

Course should seriously think of a way for golfers to get closer to green and level areas to park. I was with another healthy 65 year old and our wives. The walks uphill to almost all greens was fatiguing. Flat wore us out.
Nothing too fancy would be needed. Maybe a small turnin at level spot level with green. Could even be gravel.
This is a problem for many older golfers and out if condition golfers.
I believe you could get more of this type golfer. I love the course and the conditioning. Honestly probably would not encourage many of my friends unless they were younger.
Possibly consider having men's white tees that are no longer than 360 yards on par 4's. Staff at hotel and golf shop and starter and cart gal were excellent. Thanks

Ross Bridge - Incredibly Amazing

My brother and I played 54 holes at Ross Bridge. The course is amazing. When you look at the course from the some of the tees, it appears like it goes on forever. Truly incredible! I give it an 8.5, but only because some of the edges on some greens weren't in great condition and they're doing maintenance on the #10 green. This is one of the most impressive courses we've ever played. If you're planning to play the RTJ Trail, this needs to be on your list!

Over The Top Conditions

Third time to play this course through the years and each time it has been better. I really enjoy the course and each shot produces a new challenge to any golfer. You better have all the shots. If you not under a 10-handicap I would suggest a large move forward! The first hole is a challenge even from the front tee. Second shot usually from a downhill lie to a heavily bunkered elevated green, in fact all greens are well protected.

Even though they experienced a difficult winter, they fared well. Progress is being made with new Zoysia collars around greens and many areas adjacent to fairways and under tall pines is being sodded with Zoysia.

We had an early tee time, second off, and never saw the singe in front of us, not was the group behind us ever close. Therefore our pace-of-play was perfect, about 3 1/2 hours.

Chicago Advisor

RTJ Golf Trail at Ross Bridge - Top 3 Course I've Played

The Good: Ross Bridge is the flagship golf course of the 11-site Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama and for good reason. It is as impressive in scale of an inland public course as I've played. Fantastic, well-conditioned design has a "poorer" man's Augusta feel with ample, huge fairways and super white sand traps. From the first hole you know you're in for a treat and the design consists of one of the best quartet's of Par 5's I've come across. Great variety in Par 4's and a couple strong Par 3's. Awesome clubhouse includes beautiful dining area, well-stocked pro shop, and expansive banquet and hotel accommodations. Top-notch practice facility and great service/amenities from check-in to the 19th hole. GPS on the carts is a nice bonus. Good value considering the $150 price tag and off-season and twilight rates are great.

The Bad: The green complex conditions were a little disappointing considering the quality of course. The Par 3's are really good but not as memorable as the other holes. Pace of play can be a little bit of an issue.

The Verdict: Ross Bridge is as visually spectacular a course I've played and ranks in my Top 3 golf experiences I've had in my life. A top tier facility in every way. It's a travesty that its not ranked higher by major golf publications.

The Best Hole: The Par 5 1st is one of the best opening holes I've ever played and sets the tone for an unforgettable round.

Birmingham Advisor

Ross rounding into spring shape

Very impressed with course condition considering our weather lately.

Bent greens were silky smooth and relatively quick. Fairways were excellent. Some thin areas around a couple greens in collection areas. Bunkers were packed from recent hard rains. Too much sand in faces of bunkers, not enough in bottoms.

One thing I really like that Ross Bridge has done is add a composite set of tees, alternating between the nearly 6,800-yard orange tees and 6,200-yard whites for a 6,500-yard test. That met a need.

This course is beautiful. The conditions were good considering the cool spring we have had. The pace of play was good. Definitely would play this course again.

Valid dates: Jul 01, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020