Style Parkland
The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Ross Bridge

Year Built 2005
Architect Roger Rulewich (2005)

Carts Yes - $20
GPS Yes: ProShot GPS Yardage System

Putting Green Yes - Bent grass

Metal Spikes Allowed Non-Metal spikes preferred
Dress code Customary Golf Attire Required

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 6

Beautiful course

My wife and I played today for the first time. The views on the course are beautiful. The course is very fair. I played the combo orange/white tees, 6500 yards, which I thought was right for my 8 handicap game. My wife enjoyed the course as well. We look forward to playing it again in the future.

fabulous!

got a great rate (85/person) from the bag person through the starter, the staff was very friendly. the starter even drove us through the first hole pointing out the nuances of that and other holes. the greens were in great shape and rolled at moderate speed. ball marks seemed to be cleaned up and fairway divots were in good shape. bunkers had nice sand too. layout was nice and fairways wide, though still plenty of places to get in trouble (water, woods, bunkers) we were paired up with another couple for the back nine as the course ranger asked for such. that was a nice touch and showed the friendliness of staff. even the grounds crew was nice as they stopped mowing if they saw you were either putting or hitting. the hotel and surrounding area was nice too and exemplified a resort course setting. while the rack rate of 140 may be too high for that course our rate made it a fantastic value.. even the practice area was very expansive and looked to be in better condition than most courses we have played.

we would definitely go back and play again as it is a destination resort.

Always a great place to play!

Ross Bridge is clearly the best of the RTJ trail’s Birmingham courses. The price reflects this; however, less expensive pricing is available for certain times of day. Like every course on the trail, there are myriad tees to accommodate all skill levels. Generous fairways and large greens make for a fun experience. In the colder months, look for the over-seeding of incredibly green rye grass that keeps the course looking top notch. Lastly, the resort has great amenities, food, etc. for those who want to “stay and play.” The other two trail courses are just a couple of minutes away.

Highly recommend!

DJ

Great day at Ross Bridge.

The green fee at 12:00 was $115.00 + tax. Sounds high for a public course but in my humble opinion it’s worth it. The course is kept in excellent condition and there are more than enough tee boxes for every skill level. It’s a resort style course with generous fairways and large bent grass greens.

High and low HCP golfers will really enjoy this course provided each player competed from the correct tees.

One of the Most Beautiful

One of the most beautiful courses I have played, and i’ve In 45 different states (only 5 to go)!
Great layout! Great condition. Greens immaculate, if not a bit slower than expected. I’d play it again in a heartbeat!!!

Georgia Advisor

Awesome Coure and Great Conditions - SLOW Pace of Play

I have played Ross Bridge several times and each time I love the course and the course conditions. Ross Bridge was a truly outstanding course.

The practice area is great (driving range with lots of targets, great chipping and pitching area and fun (and huge) putting green with balls provided at the range included in the greens fees price.

You have many options on each tee shot which enables you to take risks or enjoy a more peaceful approach to the green. Overall, it is a beautiful course that I will definitely play again.

The worst part of the entire day is the pace of play. There were four groups of golfers waiting on hole #14. It was pretty much the same for the entire back nine. The worst part is that I saw the course marshall four times during my round and never once did the pace of play pick up. The pace of play is AWFUL every time I play Ross Bridge. What a shame. Amazing course, terrible service and pace of play!!!

Enjoy a great course but be ready for a 5 to 6 hour round of golf!!!

Poor course management

Poor course management for a premium destination. Expect a really long day (5+ hours) and a lot of waiting on all shots. Management not interested in keeping pace up or help nudge slow groups to let others through.

You will get the classic, "oh sorry about that but thanks for coming out".

Outstanding conditions and layout; service did not measure up

This is a great layout. The holes are very interesting and well designed. Bunkers and water both matter ... a lot . The variety of tee boxes provides the right level of challenge for all levels of golfer.

Conditions were great. Course is in terrific shape.

There is no GPS in the carts, a serious miss for a course at this level.

Unfortunately, the service did not match the great course. It was impossible to get food at the turn (no server available and a staff member telling us we had to hurry). The beverage/food cart only found us twice in 5 hours. And then, it was not fully stocked (couldn't even provide two sandwiches). Our playing partners reported very long waits in the clubhouse for breakfast before our round. Just didn't measure up.

Beautiful Course! Challenging But Fun!

Nicest course I've ever played in terms of course conditions. Each green was like a carpet and the fairways rolled nice and long. This is a challenging course, but depending on which tees you shoot from you can have a decent round. I shot from the white tees (2nd ones back) and managed to hit a few pars and even a birdie on a par 5. Very few flat fairways (like most RTJ courses) but I didn't mind. Lots of water too. Would definitely return if I were to get another coupon for a free round, as this course is on the pricey side.

Wonderful course.

Ross Bridge was a truly outstanding course. You have many options on each shot which enables you to take risks or enjoy a more peaceful approach round of golf. There was a mix of golf holes that were relatively flat or had significant elevation changes. Overall, it was a beautiful course that I would love to play again.

Cart paths

Course should seriously think of a way for golfers to get closer to green and level areas to park. I was with another healthy 65 year old and our wives. The walks uphill to almost all greens was fatiguing. Flat wore us out.
Nothing too fancy would be needed. Maybe a small turnin at level spot level with green. Could even be gravel.
This is a problem for many older golfers and out if condition golfers.
I believe you could get more of this type golfer. I love the course and the conditioning. Honestly probably would not encourage many of my friends unless they were younger.
Possibly consider having men's white tees that are no longer than 360 yards on par 4's. Staff at hotel and golf shop and starter and cart gal were excellent. Thanks

Ross Bridge - Incredibly Amazing

My brother and I played 54 holes at Ross Bridge. The course is amazing. When you look at the course from the some of the tees, it appears like it goes on forever. Truly incredible! I give it an 8.5, but only because some of the edges on some greens weren't in great condition and they're doing maintenance on the #10 green. This is one of the most impressive courses we've ever played. If you're planning to play the RTJ Trail, this needs to be on your list!

Over The Top Conditions

Third time to play this course through the years and each time it has been better. I really enjoy the course and each shot produces a new challenge to any golfer. You better have all the shots. If you not under a 10-handicap I would suggest a large move forward! The first hole is a challenge even from the front tee. Second shot usually from a downhill lie to a heavily bunkered elevated green, in fact all greens are well protected.

Even though they experienced a difficult winter, they fared well. Progress is being made with new Zoysia collars around greens and many areas adjacent to fairways and under tall pines is being sodded with Zoysia.

We had an early tee time, second off, and never saw the singe in front of us, not was the group behind us ever close. Therefore our pace-of-play was perfect, about 3 1/2 hours.

Chicago Advisor

RTJ Golf Trail at Ross Bridge - Top 3 Course I've Played

The Good: Ross Bridge is the flagship golf course of the 11-site Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama and for good reason. It is as impressive in scale of an inland public course as I've played. Fantastic, well-conditioned design has a "poorer" man's Augusta feel with ample, huge fairways and super white sand traps. From the first hole you know you're in for a treat and the design consists of one of the best quartet's of Par 5's I've come across. Great variety in Par 4's and a couple strong Par 3's. Awesome clubhouse includes beautiful dining area, well-stocked pro shop, and expansive banquet and hotel accommodations. Top-notch practice facility and great service/amenities from check-in to the 19th hole. GPS on the carts is a nice bonus. Good value considering the $150 price tag and off-season and twilight rates are great.

The Bad: The green complex conditions were a little disappointing considering the quality of course. The Par 3's are really good but not as memorable as the other holes. Pace of play can be a little bit of an issue.

The Verdict: Ross Bridge is as visually spectacular a course I've played and ranks in my Top 3 golf experiences I've had in my life. A top tier facility in every way. It's a travesty that its not ranked higher by major golf publications.

The Best Hole: The Par 5 1st is one of the best opening holes I've ever played and sets the tone for an unforgettable round.

Birmingham Advisor

Ross rounding into spring shape

Very impressed with course condition considering our weather lately.

Bent greens were silky smooth and relatively quick. Fairways were excellent. Some thin areas around a couple greens in collection areas. Bunkers were packed from recent hard rains. Too much sand in faces of bunkers, not enough in bottoms.

One thing I really like that Ross Bridge has done is add a composite set of tees, alternating between the nearly 6,800-yard orange tees and 6,200-yard whites for a 6,500-yard test. That met a need.

This course is beautiful. The conditions were good considering the cool spring we have had. The pace of play was good. Definitely would play this course again.

Best RTJ Trail course

Awesome course. Best of the RTJ Trail. Fantastic resort as well. You will not be disappointed here. One of the best courses in Alabama.

A bit of a let down, Likely much better in growing season

A couple of friends and I decided to play at Ross Bridge today for the first time, as we figured a course of this caliber would have better than average conditions given the fact that it is the dead of winter now. (12/29/2017)

The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful. The only issue is that no outside coolers are allowed, yet we only saw the beverage cart one time throughout the round on Hole #2.

Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed with the playing conditions on the course. I expect a certain amount of damage when playing during the winter, but multiple dying/dead fringes with sod squares/sand spots scattered throughout was unexpected. The greens themselves are wonderful, as long as you don't land on a bad spot or get anywhere close to the fringe. Fairways were mostly green other than muddy spots/holes. Bunkers were unraked and hard as a rock, which is an issue considering the amount on the course.

I enjoyed my round at Ross Bridge, but I didn't find anything special about the experience. Just an average day, not worth the hype or premium rate. I imagine that this course is incredible in the Spring/Summer in full tilt, and I will hopefully be able to give it a much better review then.

Slowest round ever played

First the positive : excellent layout and could be a fun ,enjoyable course to play. Beautiful clubhouse and the staff couldn't of been any nicer. Apparently the course was overbooked and our starting time was delayed by 30 minutes. After that the 18 holes took five hours and 30 minutes to complete. We waited on every hole and never received an adequate explanation other than to say they had overbooked. The course itself was in only fair shape with greens having many bare spots around the fringes with weeds , unfixed ball marks, and crabgrass. Fairways were thin in many places. Certainly not a course do $120 plus per round. Played six other Robert Trent Jones courses is on the trail that week and all were in significantly better condition.

Bessemer, Alabama
Bessemer, Alabama

Valid dates: Apr 03, 2020 - Oct 24, 2020
Sunriver Resort's Unlimited Stay & Play Golf Package includes unlimited play on Meadows, Woodlands or Caldera Links along with one round at the famed Crosswater Club per day during your stay. Better yet—your lodging is included! Two person, two night minimum stay required.