2.2
2.2

DarkHorse Golf Club

Year Built 2002
Architect Keith Foster (2002)

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MC, AMEX, Discover
Dress code No Denim, Collared Shirt Required

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in California (2014 #4)
  • Golf Advisor: Golfers' Choice (2014 #32)

Upward trend

I had been playing this course since it opened, but had recently stopped playing the course due in part to the declining condition of the course. After yesterday’s round, I have changed my mind and can definitely see the course heading in the right direction under the new ownership/management. The obvious are the bunkers, they look like pebble’s bunkers, as advertised, but the fairways and greens are great condition. The cart bridges have been replaced and vegetation around the course has been trimmed. I have played 10 rounds at 8 different courses in the area over the last 2 weeks, and Dark horse (and the Ridge) are 1-2 on my list. Dark horse is a little pricey but it’s the complete package. As of today, not many courses in the area can rival Dark horse, and am glad this course is on a upward trend. There is no clubhouse, and don’t mind since it’s not a must have for me.

Much improved and moving in the right direction

I haven’t played this course in a couple of years, due in part to the declining condition of the course over the last few years. Very unfortunate since I had been playing the course since it had opened. Fast forward to today’s round, overall the course is in really good condition, a lot of the overgrown areas have been trimmed, fairways are good shape, and bunkers are great. The wooden bridges (for carts) have also been replaced. I have played 12 rounds over the past 2 weeks (at 8 different courses in the area), and rank Dark horse (and the Ridge) 1 & 2 based on overall experience, from condition to layout. A bit pricey but this course will test you. No clubhouse but not game a game changer for me.

Not a good value

Hard to imagine how Darkhorse can compete with its green fees so much higher than other nearby courses that are of equal quality.

Paid $85 dollars for the round and range balls only to have the owner pull up and ask us to tee off early because he decided to plan a shotgun outing in the middle of a Saturday on Father’s Day weekend. So I paid $6 to hit 10 balls. The twosome we were playing with missed the first hole since we were pushed out early, and they got stuck with a topless cart (in June and 95 degree heat). Almost 6 hours later we finished playing due to no marshal being on the course and the aforementioned shotgun tournament.

Bottom line: the course is fantastic. But don’t expect much more

Gone down hill

It’s sad. Darkhorse was honestly one of my favorite courses for years. New ownership going through major changes. Good things: was bringing in new sand for sand traps. Best they’ve ever been. Course is in good shape. No club house. Not even the trailers. No bar, no food. No starter. One guy yelling from check in point. Carts have no windshields. They just look hoaky one guy giving out carts blasting music like it’s his back yard BBQ. Very unprofessional. Guy using mower followed us around for 7-9 holes. Every time we went to hit a shot we’ve got the mower hitting rocks driving up. Typically guys go backwards so they are only around that group for one hole. No training. Very disappointed not a $79 golf course. Still love the course. But the experience sucks!!

Foothill Golf at It’s Best

This course is continually improving. The tee boxes were in good shape with reseeding of the old divots being don throughout the course. The sand traps are in need of rakes but that will come. Fairways were firm and gave some roll. Greens are quick and rolling true. One of my favorite courses.

Staff is full of lies and horrible service from Gen Mgr and Head Pro

This is the second time they have done a BAIT and SWITCH. First was in October when I called and asked if they were still honoring birthdays since they had with the other owners. Talked to the new Gen Mrg. and arrived on time on our golf day and he charged us $95.00 PP ! When I called him on it he goes well, Here's a comp card for 2 people. No date expiring. Saved that for use on Father's day and booked our time to play and use it. I get an email day before Fathers day and the new HP cancelled my TT from 9a on Father's Day and puts us at 1p in 100* heat. I called and said somebody cancelled my TT. He say's, (Nate) that he called the new owners and would get back. Nothing. SO I called him back several hours later and said what did you find out about my 4:17a cancellation ? He was (is) still playing dumb saying he didn't do it. When you hit reply it said it came from him at 4:17a. Says he knows nothing about it and THEN makes a comment, saying, "WELL, It's a GROUPON" !!! I said , "No it's not". I told him it was from the past Gen Mgrs Bait and Switch. He tells me he's not moving my TT and see me at 1P. I told him NO ! I get another email for Him on the morning of Father's Day that my scheduled TT has been cancelled. My husband just got done with 33 CANCER treatments and early morning is best when it's not hot.

1st time playing the course

Great course and Randy the owner is very supper nice guy and I will be going back for sure.

Keep your eye on the details...

Dark Horse has had many suitors. New owner/managers have done an excellent job bringing one of Northern Ca.’s Very best tracks back to life...BUT...

Recent rounds show slippage ...uncollected garbage and weeds are seen throughout the parking lot...

Fairways are starting to see unwanted & invasive plants as well as inconsistent mowing heights ...

Greens are in very good condition with the exception of multiple, un-repaired ball marks...

Sand traps, constructed of premium Pebble Beach white sand, are exceptional in contrast to the green hues of the course and represent the level of excellence the owners are and should try to achieve.

Understanding all courses during the current pandemic are having challenges keeping staff at optimum levels...I strongly recommend ownership remind themselves and their support teams it doesn’t take much to lose the significant progress made...

MLB’

Condition & layout are fantastic!!!

The course is in beautiful condition & the layout is fairly tough, but playable for most levels above beginners!!!

Great course!

Overall great golf course, Would recommend it to anyone ! Well, play wise, not for the faint of heart but come and experience the beauty of a great course!

Darkhorse 100th play

Since the course was recently purchased, it has been in amazing shape. One of my top 3 all time courses. I absolutely love it.

Much Improved!

I always loved the layout of this course, which is a very strong challenge. For my late 50's I am above average in length. From the Copper tees there were a couple par 4's that needed driver/3 wood uphill into the wind, which was about 10 mph. I recommend blue tees for 10-15 handicap range unless you consistently drive the ball 250 total. Sadly, I had stopped playing this course when it went down hill. The course is now much improved with new ownership. New, gorgeous homes are being built around the course. Greens are fast and they do break even though it doesn't look like much - they definitely break... No clubhouse, not do I think there will be one. There was a hot dog vendor there (good dogs!). I think they should create a food truck schedule, which would likely be on Fridays and weekends. Take some extra balls because if you miss the fairway by more than a little bit you're off the course.. Good luck

Highly recommended.

Highly recommended. This was my first time playing Darkhorse. It’s a very well put together course, the greens and sands we’re in pristine condition. This course is about ball placement. So if you tend to hook or slice bring extra balls. I also play with a 11-year-old rider and the staff was super friendly. We had a great experience playing with the Covid-19 rules. The staff was very safe and abided by all rules set in place. As a Nevadan this is a 4 hr drive to play Darkhorse. That being said I will be back.

Dark Horse is Great

Course was beautiful! Course was in great condition. Staff is doing there best with the covid with the cart demand. Bring your own water or beer or snacks. But as far as the golf goes I love dark horse, new and most beautiful bunkers in Northern California.

Meadow Vista, California