The Ledges Golf Club

• 1585 W. Ledges Parkway, St George, UT 84770, Washington County
  • www.ledges.com

Year built: 2006
Architect(s): Matt Dye (2006)
Type: Semi-Private
Style: Desert
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Rye

Carts: Yes - included in green fees (with GPS)
Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes
Golf school / academy: Yes - "Jack Nicklaus Academy of Golf at Valderra"

Dress code: Collared shirts required and denim not permitted.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, American Express

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes undulating greens bunkers   Great for patio dining

philgold1000's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2018

Great desert golf course with beautiful views. Friendly staff.

ghogelin's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2018

"Fun Track"

James2347328's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2018

The first nine is pretty ordinary. (Relately flat and uninteresting). Then the back nine begins. Very scenic and interesting which makes for fun golf.

"Ledges"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2018

Front 9 very dry. Green throughout excellent and very quick. Back 9 makes it a great play . Very scenic as well as interesting, obviously they water it more. Over all good value.

Chris

"Course has great views"

dgnordstrom's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

The day played was raining to start, go figure. I play here whenever I'm in the area. The fairways were not quite filled in yet as were most courses in the area. It's been colder than usual which isn't conducive to growing. The course has a few very scenic holes on the back nine overlooking Snow Canyon.

"Did not play due to rain - no refund"

paulwsheffield's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2018

We were unable to play this course due to the rain that had been falling all night and that morning. I called the golf course and cancelled the tee time since the fellow I talked to said the course was "very wet." I attempted to contact Golf Now, but was told the wait was over an hour both times I called and therefore received no refund. It was an incredibly frustrating experience and I will be very hesitant to use Golf Now again.

"st george"

golfeers's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2017

I'll get right to the point. The front nine was a bit on the average side, not much verity from hole to hole, and the tee boxes were for the most part crowned, not good. Now the the back nine. The scenery was absolutely beautiful. Lots of verity from hole to hole. The greens were very fast, but they had just had a tournament so I get that. For what we paid for the two of us and the fact that the front nine was so so not the best bang for your buck, but we did have fun.

"A Little Too Tricked Up..."

toothysaw2's avatar
Texas Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2017
First time playing Perfect weather

Let's just get it out there... I didn't really enjoy this course. It wasn't by any means bad, but it was not for me.

Off the tee, the course is fairly welcoming. Even the desert areas allow you to find your ball most of the time. But once you get around the greens... forget it. I think just about every green was a table top, with extreme undulation. It was almost impossible to approach with any sort of low shot. You have to come in high and soft. Not that it really mattered, because the greens wouldn't hold anything anyway.

I found the greens to be unfair and unenjoyable and felt they spoiled an otherwise lovely setting and decent course layout.

Personally, I would not choose to play here again.

"HOT!!"

dsimon2008's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2017

I played in the afternoon at 4:30. It was about 110 degrees. Played18 holes as a single in just over 2 hours. Staff seemed a little disappointed that I was playing and couldn't wait for me to finish. No off course amenities at the time I was there. I like the course alot and will play it again when I visit St. George in the future.

"Great course and course staff, terrible service at the grill"

bradreef's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

A group of 12 of us played 4 courses in St George in 3 days. The Ledges has the best greens of all of them and the course was in great shape. Tee boxes , bunkers , and green were in good condition. However, the grill was one of the worst experiences i have had. We arrived at 11:55 am on a Saturday and were the first people there. We placed orders within 10 minutes and had to wait up to 45 minutes for food to be brought out. Some burgers took 30 and the last were 45. The server with a blue shirt was extremely rude and didnt smile once. She messed up an order and when he walked over to tell her he was ok eating the wrong order she fully ignored him. Didnt reply and turned and walked away. The people that ordered water had to wait 20 minutes and it was just slow all around. The staff related to the golf side were awesome and the opposite of this. We likely would play the course again but never return to the grill.

"Beautiful place to play, greens are fast."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

This course is located in a gorgeous location. I give this course a 8 out of 10. The greens are very fast, I would say 8-9 on the stimpmeter. If they slowed the greens to a 5, it would make the round more enjoyable. I am not a fan of 'Masters' speed greens. Muni's in St George are more puttable.

"Challenging, scenic course"

sorenj's avatar
Idaho Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017
Used cart Perfect weather

I’ll preface all of this by saying that I decided to play from the tips today, a first for me. At 7145, with a 74.2 rating (133 slope) from there, this was, on paper the most difficult round I have played. It turns out that when you go 220-240 off the tee (with a 3 wood) a 7145 yrd course can be a bit long. The reality is that I played many of the par 4’s “as par 5’s” because the greens were just a bit out of range for me, even when I put a couple of good strokes together.

That said, I really enjoyed The Ledges. The course was in fantastic condition and the only thing that really qualified as regrettable was that the toughest hole – a 600 yrd(!) par 5 –was under construction and was playing as a 150 yrd par 3. In talking to the staff, they said this was because the hole was playing too tough “I’d see guys coming in with par, bogey, double bogey, bogey, par, *ten* … over and over again and we knew we had to simplify the hole for playability.” Seems legit.

Almost every review I read about the course said the back nine was breathtaking (check, and double check). What I found interesting was the number of reviews that found the front pedestrian (some even said boring). This did not reconcile with my experience at all. While the front is certainly a different experience, it still plays to some great golf. A bit more open and “links’y” the front still demands some well-placed balls off the tee. With mounds and waste areas surrounding the fairways I think there is plenty of cost for errant shots. I’ll admit that some of this impression may have been derived from playing all the way back for the first time, but that only goes so far. To me this entire course is worth playing.

I liked that the course plays around within the edges of the red rock canyons without getting gimmicky. There is one hole that is absolutely “target golf” I hit 7i (175yds) then GW (114yds) to get on the deck of the downhill hole. However, any angst that might be generated from that is – in my opinion - quickly overcome by the beauty of the hole itself. Everything else on the course plays as good solid golf.

Pace of play was snappy to say the least on a Monday morning. I finished my round in 2:51 (I was in a cart today), and was played through by a guy hitting two balls (but taking zero pictures). I was second out, behind a single that started about 20 minutes before me, so I wouldn’t expect this pace regularly, but it’s good to know quick rounds are out there if you arrive at the right time.

The staff was simply exceptional. Friendly, engaging, and – to a one – legitimately interested in my trip, the courses I’ve been playing, etc. Even the grounds crew seemed to just be generally happy to be there. My wife had an issue with her cart on the first hole (I was walking ahead) and when I turned around Richard from the clubhouse was (literally) running down the fairway to help her out. I really enjoyed The Ledges and would go back again to play the course; however, more definitively, I WILL go back again because of the service.

"Back 9 is fabulous"

mauller's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2017

Back 9 is fabulous. The front 9 was disappointing very flat not much character. I would recommend playing this course but only with a hot deal.

"Beautiful setting, beware of the wind"

u776520436's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2017

Very pretty course but very exposed if windy. Not a flat spot on any green so challenging approaches and putting. Two things I think can improve - more sand in green side bunkers and put in some ball washers. Love to try again on a non windy day.

"Beware - Stay Away"

gimmiegolf's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

The front nine of this course is the most boring, uneventful course I have ever played. As interesting as the back nine is, it doesn't compensate. Definitely, not worth playing for the money. Course conditions are fair at best. And to rub salt in the wounds, as I was leaving the course the pro shop said, you could have saved a few dollars if you would have called us instead of booking on our website. Go figure! The few dollars saved wouldn't have helped.

Course Layout: Poor

"Great Experience"

lsloan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2017

Really nice course. Great practice facility. Nice friendly staff. Pace of play was good - 4 hrs 15 mins. which was refreshing after the 5 hr rounds we have had at other area courses. The front nine is more links style and was a little dry in places. Back nine in the mountains is spectacular.

"Not recommend"

vianeway's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017

Course is in very dry conditions. Would not recommend playing. Not worth the money.

Mike6678116's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2017

"Ledges golf course St George"

djpowers1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2017

Ledges golf course St George course was in excellent shape unable to change cups except the two areas on the greens so they were high traffic areas but fairways were green and healthy

"Solid st george selection"

bradreef's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2017

The course was a fun and in solid shape. Just the fact that the 16th seems to remain unfinished. Green rolled solid and pace of play was ok. Some cool holes on the back 9. Front was similar to most higher end courses but not as scenic.