South at Torrey Pines Municipal Golf Course

Type Public/Municipal
Taupe 72 7051 yards 75.3 137
Silver (W) 72 5467 yards 73.6 129
Scorecard for South
Taupe M: 78.1/144 450 389 200 488 454 560 462 176 614 3793 416 221 504 619 437 478 227 442 570 3914 7707
Black M: 75.3/137 445 363 159 467 405 530 445 163 538 3515 375 204 462 523 419 397 209 422 525 3536 7051
Green M: 73.1/133 419 329 142 448 394 499 424 155 510 3320 348 187 443 504 391 359 178 400 498 3308 6628
Gold M: 70.7/129 W: 79.4/139 373 319 144 423 382 452 387 146 459 3085 311 167 413 488 359 334 151 378 467 3068 6153
Silver W: 73.6/129 364 283 105 388 325 427 378 92 432 2794 297 105 393 407 277 288 142 347 417 2673 5467

Year Built 1957
Fairways Kikuya Grass
Greens Poa Annua Grass

Carts Yes - $20

Caddies Yes
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover
Dress code Proper Golf Attire Required

• Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #29) (2015 #30)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 6

3.5 stars for the golf holes, 5 stars for the scenery

This is a very good course and enjoyable to play. The setting is beautiful (not like Pebble Beach or Punta Espada, but still gorgeous on high cliffs with the Pacific ocean as far as you can see on most of the holes). The golf holes are good to very good, just not as great as the best courses. There are a few standout holes but mostly it is a good collection of fine golf holes with nothing spectacular. They play up and down with good fairway movement and good greens. The course is not a killer like Bethpage Black as they keep the rough much lower for regular play (at least when I played). The hole corridors are wide so you can hit driver many times. The bunkers are numerous and deep. Overall it was a good experience and enjoyable round.

Spectacular!

This will probably be the best golf course you will ever play. Great conditions, awesome views, and of course a U.S. Open course. A must play course.

Texas Advisor

Torrey Pines South... take 2

I don't usually double up reviewing courses, but it's been 4 years since I first played the South Course and thought it was a good time for a follow up.

This was one of the first really nice courses I played in the country, so of course I gave it 5 stars the first time around. Having played at several other great courses since then, I think 4 stars is right since there are no halvsies here.

The South Course is difficult. The fairways are narrow, and the rough is sticky (and a little wet both times I've played). If you aren't driving the ball well... you're in for a long day. The greens are no picnic either, but they roll incredibly true and are some my favorite greens I've ever played on. For some reason they just agree with me.

The layout of the course is pretty good. There are hazards place relatively strategically to influence your shot selection. In theory this is great, but because it's such a long course, the average hitter probably has little choice but to hit driver on most holes and take on the risk of the hazards. Otherwise, reaching greens in two would not be feasible. The real point would be, the course is more interesting if you play from the tees that fit your game. Hole 3 is obviously a classic. Number 2 is a fun risk/reward par 4, and one of the few shorter par 4s on the course. My favorite holes are 6 and 7. Six is a sweeping par 5 that forces a decision off the tee. Layup short of the bunkers, play a fade around the bend, or try to blast it right over the bend! Seven is a tough par 4 up the hill. A bunker guards the left side off the tee, but trees guard the right. The green is elevated and depending on the pin position you can be totally blocked off from the right side of the fairway. Very cool hole.

The back 9 stretch of 13-15 is also quite nice with a little variety thrown in on a course otherwise demanding of long, straight drives.

This course is an absolute classic, and for good reason. It's challenging both by layout and environment. The wind will blow and it will hurt! There are a few holes with incredible views... mainly holes 3 and 4. If you're just looking for views, I suggest the North Course. South Course is (slightly) superior golf though.

Final notes:

- since i first played, you can now book online 5 days in advance (even out of state). i was able to book a saturday morning time on friday evening!

- if you are able, walk! the course is more fun to take in on foot and it's almost guaranteed to be a near 5 hour round anyway.

Just Ok!

Torrey Pines is a muni golf course at a resort price. I was disappointed that cart was not included in the price and no one bothered to tell us that. The cart was the bare minimum. No coolers and no GPS.

The layout was ok, but certainly enhanced by the scenic views of the Pacific Ocean. I thought the course was in fantastic condition. The outside staff was unimpressive and showed a lack of interest in the golfers. No one was present to help with clubs or clean them following the round.

Outstanding views with poor conditions

Top line: expensive course with sub-par muni conditions

I, like most golfers, had the Torrey Pines as a ‘must play’ on my list. While I don’t regret playing it again, you need to lower your expectations for the conditions. If you are playing $200+ for a round of golf, one would expect for there not to be standing water in bunkers and tee boxes that were dirt patches... The layout was very cool that required lots of different shots, and the views were the absolute best.

Bottom line: while it was fun to play the course the Pros play, poor conditions made it less fun

Forget your mid irons! Bring fairway metals and hybrids!!

Took advantage of an early teetime being available after Super Bowl Sunday and a poor weather forecast which probably persuaded some pre-booked players to cancel! Being from the UK a spot of wind and rain doesn't phase me and as it turned out the weather was very benign. This was fortunate because even playing of the Green tee, 6,600 yards the coures plays really long, and that's when you're hitting from the short stuff! Never hit some many 200yd approach shots. That said the ball sits up on perfect fairways which helps. First cut of semi is fine but stray into the proper rough and you've no chance of moving the ball far enough.

Greens were perfect although my playing partners (locals who know the course) said they were a bit slow! I'd watched plenty of the Pros playing the Farmers miss short puts and blaming the type of grass, powana? but for me they were excellent surfaces.

Green fees are high for non San Diego residents but I felt I got value for money in playing a US Open venue (quite well) and am looking forward to seeing the course on TV again so I can regale my friends with where I hit my shots relative to where the pros are!!

Muni Supreme

I haven't been to Bethpage yet, so it's safe to say this is the best muni I've played in the U.S. What a fabulous 36-hole, nothing-but-golf setting overlooking the ocean the whole way. The clubhouse ain't much, but the first hole, headed straight towards the ocean, revs you up for what you know will be a thrilling round. The front nine wastes no time getting you out towards the coast. The par-3 3rd is marvelous with an infinity backdrop and the 4th is a long par-4 with nothing but a steep drop off between you and the waves.

The back nine is really interesting too. The par-5 13th and its intimidating bunkers simply ate my lunch, but I managed to finish pretty strong down the stretch to salvage a respectable round not too high above my handicap.

It's pretty tough to make any penalty strokes here. But I have to say, I can't believe they keep the rough this thick. It's been a wet winter in SD, and the Famers is just weeks away, so I get it. But man, given the fairways are pretty narrow, it's a constant easter egg hunt for groups spraying it a little bit. I'll say this: If you want the hack-and-wack U.S. Open experience, you've come to the right place. Greens were fast but not lightening, but in excellent shape. I'm told the rough tends to die a little bit in the warmer months. Frankly I think the layout is good enough to need to keep the rough that thick, but it's got a pro golf rep to uphold.

Pace was a little rough and we were behind a five-some, but the course didn't seem crazy busy (on a weekday). I couldn't help but notice that a pro golfer, John Rahm, was a few groups behind us. It was cart path only but I walked, paired up with two guys who rode. This wouldn't be a fun round in a cart w/cart-path only because if you're like me, you lose the line of your ball when it's in the rough when you have to walk across the fairway from the cart path.

Be sure to stop into the bar at the next door Lodge for a pint and lunch. It's a great cozy spot. (it was cold and rainy so no one was outside, but I'll bet it's a festive scene on a nice day).

$192 for an out-of-towner like me is pretty good compared to the rates at high-end courses like Aviara and Maderas, etc.

1c219b89-7de8-5dd4-846a-069e1a05d3e5
Richie4326581
Commented On 01/13/2017

Right on point with this review!!

Boston Advisor

Bucket List Course.

I traveled to Lajolla specially to play Torrey Pines and was not disappointed. I could only play the south side to north being closed due to renovations. Some of the most memorable holes I've ever played... #3 ,#4 #1, #5,and #17 are amazing. Course had some bare spots but tees and greens were flawless, that's what counts. Factor in golf history ,weather and culture and I was thrilled to be able to play. I stayed at Hilton on 18th fairway so that made experience more complete. Only drawback was no on site clubhouse for refreshments but The Lodge is right there. Pro shop is a huge department store with all ur Torrey needs. Will be back to do North!!

Torrey Pines South Course

This place does live up to the hype. Great deal if you are a SD local a bit more if you are from out of town.

Rancho Santa Fe, California