2.1

Type Public/Municipal

Year Built 1957
Fairways Kikuya Grass
Greens Poa Annua Grass
Architect William F. Bell (1957) Rees Jones (2001) Greg Muirhead (2001) Rees Jones (2019) David Rainville (1975)

Carts Yes - $20

Caddies Yes
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover
Dress code Proper Golf Attire Required

Snacks, Restaurant

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #29) (2015 #30)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 6

Ahhh.. to be a San Diego resident.

This golf course isn't worth $200 plus dollars for us out-of-towners but I'm still glad I can check it off the bucket list.

I went down this year from LA as a birthday present to myself and played the North course the day before I played the South. While the North course is probably more fun, it's obvious the South was made for the big stage.. And that's exactly what you're paying for when you come here from out of town. You're paying for the US Open name. If you're lucky enough to be a resident, this place is might be golf heaven with the dirt cheap rates comparatively.

I don't really mind that system, if I'm being honest. I like that locals get a steal and folks from elsewhere have to pay a premium, but I will say, it's not worth the premium price tag. It's a course that's probably worth $140 tops, but hey... US Open.

The range is kind of awful. The practice area was closed due to COVID and it looked nice-ish, if not way too small to accommodate how busy the course is.

The views from some of the holes are breathtaking, but if I'm being honest, I feel like the North course incorporates the coastline better.

Holes 3 and 4 are the best photo ops, so you'll all still at least be smiling before the course has it's wicked way with you. If the rough is up, the course is TOUGH. If the rough is down, the course is "get"able but long. The greens were in good shape but not near as fast as I imagined they might be. The group ahead of us was two holes behind and were never approached by a marshal. That made the round longer than it needed to be.

All in all, I don't anticipate ever playing there again but I'm glad I can say I did. And if anything, watching the US Open next year will be a bit more fun knowing I've stood on those bluffs and felt the wind in my face on my 230 approach shot. :-)

Everything I dreamed of!

The south course is in phenomenal shape! The greens were punched on 4/20 based on the info on Torreys site, and they’ve come back great! Tee boxes, fairways, bunkers, all perfect! Rough was cut fairly low which made my round easier! Staff treated me great! Very efficient and helpful. I’ve read a lot of reviews about poor course condition and poor staff attitude. This is couldn’t be further from the truth. Can’t wait to get back out here!

South course

I was extremely disappointed in the amenities provided by this golf course. For $280 you had to pay for range balls that you had to get off the mat. The cost of anything there like water food beverages were astronomical and totally ridiculous.
I would never recommend anyone to play this course as it is not worth the money. I found the staff to be condescending and unfriendly.
I am extremely disappointed. We played a Jack Nicholas course there which was a much better shape and much nicer course for that matter at 1/4 of the price.
Please don't waste your time is definitely not worth it.

No longer Torrey South

This once great course has been turned into some monstrosity only a tour pro can play and RARELY in good condition. This City has sold out the locals to the PGA and USGA. Even if you get lucky and find this place in decent shape it is almost unplayable. If you're not playing with construction noise on every hole you'll need ear plugs for the constant bombardment of F18's flying over. You'll pay 240 bucks to walk and I guarantee it wont be worth it. The city and administrators have destroyed this once great golf course.

This course is a rip off!

I was completely excited to play this course coming from the Carolinas! I knew the price of the round due to the website so I was prepared. I wasn’t impressed at the course. There were a few beautiful holes, but the rest I can get at home in NC. What was really disappointing was the employees and noise. Granted they were getting ready for the Farmers Tourney, don’t do it on the busy day of the week that people pay good money for! I’m played courses in the Carolinas before Tourneys and didn’t experience any of that. I guess I paid for the experience.

socalsoulgolfer
Commented on 12/26/2019

Yer right. 5 months out of the year they are setting up or tearing down the grand stands. Many people I play with from out of town are disappointed. Thank the new greenskeeper.

Commented on 12/18/2019

This guy's a baby. Torrey Pines is one of the great course in the world.

Save your money

They have been working on these two courses for the last 10 years. RARELY will you find either one in decent shape unless it's PGA tournament time then they poor a million gallons of water on it to make it look good. Our last 2 Greens keepers are atrocious. Dirt patches everywhere. Punch greens and it takes a month to recover. Fairways are normally lousy and traps are normally hard pan. The locals have been screwed. They spend millions and nothing gets done to make the place playable 8 months out of the year. RARELY do I get a positive feedback from a tourist I'm playing with.

Marc 10

Do not waste your money or time to play the South Course right now . If you are not able to get a tee time to play the North Course please go elsewhere . You will be very unhappy with your experience on the South Course . Between the construction on holes 15 & 16 and the general conditions of the course its a joke they are only giving you a discount of $ 20.00 . It should be half the fee right now . Please do your self a favor . Until the construction is completed avoid this golf course and find another place to play in San Diego . From what I have been told there are many in the area that will not charge the ridiculous prices that Torrey Pines does for green fees . They are living on a reputation that frankly is not even close to what it should be .

Horrible!

When it was all said and done I spent $340. I have never played a course in worse condition. They told us 2 holes would be closed. They did not tell us we would be treated poorly by staff and play a course that was completely under construction. It's absolutely shameful and they should be embarrassed of their product!

What a dump!

Torrey Pines should be embarrassed and ashamed of the way the course is. They told us ahead of time 2 holes would be closed but they did not say the rest of the course would be in shambles. Construction everywhere, dead grass roped off around half of the greens, and bathrooms closed. The worst part was the price.

$85 a piece to book in advance.
$232 green fee.
$20 ($20 discount per person usually $40 for old carts)

The staff was rude. They all seemed put out that we were there. Horrible experience. For a $300+ round I would have hoped for something positive, anything, and they found a way to mess that up.

TAKE THIS PILE OFF YOUR BUCKET LIST!!!

What a dump!

I take a client to a new course every year and this year was Torrey. They told us two holes would be closed but did not mention the course is in shambles. In fact I have NEVER played anywhere near that bad. They should be ashamed and embarrassed.

Here is the cost:

$85 per person to book a tee time in advance.
$232 per person green fee.
$20 per person cart fee. Old carts, no navigation,.

Complete ripoff! They do not care about anything except your money!

Play At Your Own Risk

I honestly have very mixed feeling when playing TP south. I hate their greens, their pace of play is horrendous, and their staff is rude, especially the valley girls that work at the halfway house or work the drink cart.

I prefer the north greens over the south, as I have a very hard time putting on poa grass. The south is more expensive for no reason other than it's the "Championship" course.... The north has much better views and hole layouts, in my opinion.

Something to note is that the city owns the golf course but a private company owns the lodge, carts, and concessions. Therefore, the private company can charge an arm and a leg for everything! Their carts are $40 per cart. So, if you're a single you will pay $40. If two random singles are paired together then one person has to pay $40 for the cart and get $20 from the random person they're paired with. Horrible system.

Overall, if you're a resident of SD and like to walk, TP south is a great course! If you're a nonresident and like to ride, then go to Maderas, Omni La Costa, or Aviara.

First time

It was a nice course with great ocean views, but unfortunately while we were there they had shut down a couple holes for US Open renovations. I’d love to play it again when it’s complete.

Atlanta Advisor

Playing where the Pros play!

Before playing Torrey Pines, I was warned that it is "underwhelming, wasn't worth the money, and that I should play the North course or simply somewhere else." Well I can say now after having played the South course, that I absolutely loved it! I paid $122 which is twilight on a weekday and for a PGA Tour course, it was worth the money.

The views were outstanding. Even on a cloudy day, it was pretty cool to just look out into the Pacific over the magnificent cliffs.

The history of watching Tiger here over the years and then playing those same holes was really cool. I played with a friend who lives locally and makes Torrey his home course and he pointed out many areas where shots that you or I wouldve seen over the years were taken.

It was the fall so conditions weren't the typical overseed like during the Farmers Insurance Open. It had some rough patches around but it didn't really take away from the round. What stood out was how well-maintained the tee boxes and greens were the last week in September. All around, a great day. And don't forget to stop in the pro shop, its massive and has everything!

N Y N J Advisor

3.5 stars for the golf holes, 5 stars for the scenery

This is a very good course and enjoyable to play. The setting is beautiful (not like Pebble Beach or Punta Espada, but still gorgeous on high cliffs with the Pacific ocean as far as you can see on most of the holes). The golf holes are good to very good, just not as great as the best courses. There are a few standout holes but mostly it is a good collection of fine golf holes with nothing spectacular. They play up and down with good fairway movement and good greens. The course is not a killer like Bethpage Black as they keep the rough much lower for regular play (at least when I played). The hole corridors are wide so you can hit driver many times. The bunkers are numerous and deep. Overall it was a good experience and enjoyable round.

Great course and great views

Went to visit my sister who moved to San Diego and had to play the course. I was a single and walking up was super easy... barely waited. The course has some great views and is well maintained. Some really demanding holes that asks a lot of the golfer to keep it in the fairway. That rough is truly brutal. It’s a true muni and has a starter window like a bank teller. The course was a little pricey for an out of towner, but I can’t complain because I get to pay New York Rates for bethpage black. Definitely going to play it again.

Spectacular!

This will probably be the best golf course you will ever play. Great conditions, awesome views, and of course a U.S. Open course. A must play course.

Texas Advisor

Torrey Pines South... take 2

I don't usually double up reviewing courses, but it's been 4 years since I first played the South Course and thought it was a good time for a follow up.

This was one of the first really nice courses I played in the country, so of course I gave it 5 stars the first time around. Having played at several other great courses since then, I think 4 stars is right since there are no halvsies here.

The South Course is difficult. The fairways are narrow, and the rough is sticky (and a little wet both times I've played). If you aren't driving the ball well... you're in for a long day. The greens are no picnic either, but they roll incredibly true and are some my favorite greens I've ever played on. For some reason they just agree with me.

The layout of the course is pretty good. There are hazards place relatively strategically to influence your shot selection. In theory this is great, but because it's such a long course, the average hitter probably has little choice but to hit driver on most holes and take on the risk of the hazards. Otherwise, reaching greens in two would not be feasible. The real point would be, the course is more interesting if you play from the tees that fit your game. Hole 3 is obviously a classic. Number 2 is a fun risk/reward par 4, and one of the few shorter par 4s on the course. My favorite holes are 6 and 7. Six is a sweeping par 5 that forces a decision off the tee. Layup short of the bunkers, play a fade around the bend, or try to blast it right over the bend! Seven is a tough par 4 up the hill. A bunker guards the left side off the tee, but trees guard the right. The green is elevated and depending on the pin position you can be totally blocked off from the right side of the fairway. Very cool hole.

The back 9 stretch of 13-15 is also quite nice with a little variety thrown in on a course otherwise demanding of long, straight drives.

This course is an absolute classic, and for good reason. It's challenging both by layout and environment. The wind will blow and it will hurt! There are a few holes with incredible views... mainly holes 3 and 4. If you're just looking for views, I suggest the North Course. South Course is (slightly) superior golf though.

Final notes:
- since i first played, you can now book online 5 days in advance (even out of state). i was able to book a saturday morning time on friday evening!
- if you are able, walk! the course is more fun to take in on foot and it's almost guaranteed to be a near 5 hour round anyway.

Just Ok!

Torrey Pines is a muni golf course at a resort price. I was disappointed that cart was not included in the price and no one bothered to tell us that. The cart was the bare minimum. No coolers and no GPS.
The layout was ok, but certainly enhanced by the scenic views of the Pacific Ocean. I thought the course was in fantastic condition. The outside staff was unimpressive and showed a lack of interest in the golfers. No one was present to help with clubs or clean them following the round.

Commented on 12/18/2019

Somewhat challenging, aye...did you play from the back tees where the rating is 78.1 on a par 72 track?

Outstanding views with poor conditions

Top line: expensive course with sub-par muni conditions

I, like most golfers, had the Torrey Pines as a ‘must play’ on my list. While I don’t regret playing it again, you need to lower your expectations for the conditions. If you are playing $200+ for a round of golf, one would expect for there not to be standing water in bunkers and tee boxes that were dirt patches... The layout was very cool that required lots of different shots, and the views were the absolute best.

Bottom line: while it was fun to play the course the Pros play, poor conditions made it less fun

Private/Resort