1.5

Type Public/Municipal

Year Built 1957
Fairways Kikuya Grass
Greens Poa Annua Grass
Architect William F. Bell (1957) Rees Jones (2001) Greg Muirhead (2001) Rees Jones (2019)

Carts Yes - $20

Caddies Yes
Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover
Dress code Proper Golf Attire Required

• Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #29) (2015 #30)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 6

A unique course with unique culture

I now live in LA, I played the NORTH last year and I played the SOUTH yesterday. This course is a great one, It's a legendary course and the most famous design from William Bell and Son. You immediately step into history and local golf culture here, make sure to chat with as many employees and locals as possible, they are very friendly with some great knowledge of the place. The staff is on their "A" game anybody that says different on here probably has some personal issues that they are projecting onto their experience here...but don't we all do that from time to time. The course is't extremely intimidating visually. Don't get me wrong, some of the approach shots are scary with the bunker layouts and raised blind greens from your approach. Also the par 4s play really long, really tough to get on in 2 with a head wind. I play a lot of public courses in LA and the greens here are a million times faster, hard for me to get used to uphill putts. The rough was down according to the locals we played with, still there were areas around the greens where my ball would get buried in some rough and it was very hard to play that kinda shot to a raised green, partly because I'm not used to being in that kinda rough with such short touchy shot, I screwed up a few times in that situation. In the rough with a long shot I was able to play it off my back foot and advance it nicely. Reading the greens was like being on an acid trip. This William bell was a sick genius, you swear you have a uphill left to right putt just to find out it's very much downhill right to left. I don't think I'm a slow golfer as I'm usually right on the leading group's butt when playing, but here I guess we ended up a hole behind after the first few holes. A local playing behind us kinda let us know that he was a local that has played there for the last 30yrs and that we should pick up our pace(he kinda yelled at us)...which we did and he thanked us for it later. I totally respect any local golf culture that I'm walking into and I hate when duffers visit a famous track and play super slow while taking a bunch of videos and pics with their phones...show some class people!! And make sure to play Torrey! If you respect the course and don't get too greedy, you can post a decent score at a true test of a course. It's not that difficult to get a tee time if you do your research and you will experience the game where so many greats have walked.

It's good to play once a year or so if you live in San Diego but it's a busy golf course that can get beat up. Play it in the springtime before really heavy play hits. Looking forward to playing the revamped north

Huge disappointment; over priced for out of towners

On my first trip to San Diego, Torrey Pines South was to be the "star" of the golf trip. Turned out to be a bust. We teed off on time at 12:10 pm and only barely finished at 6:00 pm. Spent virtually the entire day waiting to hit our next shot and we were walking. A group ahead were a hole and a half behind well before the turn. We thought we saw a ranger at one point, however, as soon as we neared him, he drove off without acknowledging us. Never saw another ranger; I realize it is a muni but at the prices out of towners pay, it should at least be a well-managed muni.

Weather-wise it was nice although foggy early. The layout was just OK; a few early holes along the coast were picturesque but the remaining holes (while well manicured) were not memorable.

I feel like I wasted a day of our trip playing this course and was cheated due to the cost. Got the feeling they are a muni coasting on their reputation. Won't happen again.

Mississippi Advisor

A Disappointing Experience

First, credit where credit is due: Torrey Pines is a historic golf Mecca, and the scenery is just about unmatched anywhere in the world.

But right now, the South course simply is not worth the $200+ greens fee commanded of out-of-towners.

The course was overseeded several weeks ago, and since then, maintenance appears to have been nonexistent. This is not an exaggeration: the fairways have not been mowed in weeks, and the bunkers have not been raked in perhaps that long. The greens are also still quite bumpy from having been punched, but I can almost live with that; after all, it has to be done. But on a course of this caliber, there is no excuse for not having raked a single bunker on the course. That's absurd.

I generally enjoyed the "vibe" of Torrey Pines (it felt like a municipal course, and usually in a good way...i.e., not intimidating, accessible), and I'm glad that I can check this one off my list. But I would not go back unless I were sure that maintenance had improved.

I'm rating it four stars because the scenery is unparalleled, and that's true no matter how shaggy the fairways get. But if this were another golf course, the course conditions would drag the rating down to three stars or fewer.

If you're a local, go have a blast. It's $40. Big whoop. But if you're an out-of-towner, wait until after the Farmers tournament next year so that you're assured the course has its game fact back on. Right now, it just doesn't.

Amazing Round

Last weeks round at Torrey was the highlight of my trip. The greens fees are reasonable compared to other top courses. The staff was extremely polite and helpful. The facilities were beautiful and the course conditions were pristine. I cannot wait to play this course again.

Love this place

I know that it's a municipal golf course, but with such an exquisite location, it's hard to pass up, even for the out-of-town prices. The back 9 is very tough, especially when the ball doesn't carry because of the damp air. All the golf course you want.

Couldn't pass this opportunity

I played here with 3 other locals who made this round very enjoyable. Their local knowledge really bailed me out of some trouble. We played from the blue tees for time reasons but I would have preferred to hit from the whites since it was my first time here.
As for the prices, you certainly get what you pay for here, no complaints on my part. The views are incredible of course. I just kept it under a 90 so I was really happy.

US Open Test

Great course. Expensive for out of towners but worth the money. We played from the white tees and it was still very challenging. Course was in excellent shape, the greens were hard and fast. Don't short side yourself out there!

Texas Advisor

What else can you say? It's Torrey Pines!

Played Torrey Pines South as part of a group trip to San Diego. Aside from the difficulty of getting a tee time and price for being from out of state, the experience was unforgettable.

Seriously, this course is a regular PGA stop and hosted a US Open. Not the kind of course you stumble upon everyday.

The views are stunning. The course is challenging. But it is something you will never forget.

Rancho Santa Fe, California

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.