2.6

The golf course at the Colorado National Golf Club is an 18-hole, public course that is situated just 20 minutes north of Denver. Jay Morrish designed the formerly known as Vista Ridge golf course with a traditional links-style layout. The course covers 7,676 yards of golf from its longest tees and plays to a par of 72. Rolling fairways lined with native grasses and large, undulating greens make the golf course interesting, while beautiful views of snow-topped mountains provide pleasant scenery. The course has many bunkers as well as water hazards. Colorado National Golf Club also features five sets of tee boxes for golfers to work on a number of different handicaps.

Year Built 2003
Architect Jay Morrish (2003) Andy Johnson

Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MC, AMEX
Dress code Collard shirt required and no denim.

Bar, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Overall, the course is in very good shape. Didn't notice any of the course issues described in other reviews. The greens are in very good shape. Not an impressive course layout but a very enjoyable round. No one In front or behind on a Monday at 1130 so pace of play couldn't be better. We had good laugh when the cart girl pulled up to us for the first time at 3pm on the 17th green to ask if we needed anything. Seriously??

We'll play again

Pace of play was right on and I don't recall seeing a marshal. Course conditions were great for late July. Staff was informative and friendly. Restaurant was helpful and prompt. Our playing partner included an up and coming amateur who's invited to the 2020 US Women's Amateur. What a treat.

Conditions were fine; course was good experience

Seeing a lot of complaints about dead grass but I found the course in great shape. There was one section of one fairway that I saw. Other than that it was green and lush. Greens and tee boxes were fine, and it was consistently in the 90s and not raining that week so they must be watering the he** out of the place at night. One fairway was so soft my ball plugged. Play the 700-yarder from the tips just for the challenge.

You will use just about every club in your bag!

Let's see--a driveable p4, forced carries, a couple of blind shots, multi-tiered greens, water, one of the longest, but playable, p5 holes anywhere. FANTASTIC conditions and a layout to match. I'd play here every day if I could.

Good potential but not a good course

You can tell the course used to be nice, it has a nice layout and facilities, but the grass looks like there's been chemicals dumped all over multiple places - big dead patches of dirt in the fairway and big dead spots of grass on greens. Pace of play was beyond slow, the marshall yelled & was very rude to my group even though we were waiting for the two groups in front of us. With different management maybe this course would be better, but until then I recommend spending your money at another course.

Definitely Reccomended

I was hesitant to play based on recent reviews stating the course was in terrible shape. They've either done a lot of work or the previous reviews are seriously mistaken. There is one fairway (I believe its number 3), and one green (I think number 4) that need attention. Aside from that, this course was in excellent shape from tee to green. Greens were a moderate speed, and the pace of play was about 4.5 hours on a Saturday. Its a really fun design and you will not find better views throughout the course. The tips (7600 yards) were closed. The starter said they're reserved for their college tournaments only. I hope to find a way to get out again and take the tips for a spin - maybe midweek?

Commented on 08/20/2020

This place was awesome! Staff was so nice and accommodating especially during this Covid period. Course was in great shape other than hole 3 which just received a new fairway so expected to be off.

Commented on 07/08/2020

I played there two days ago and it was awful, there was dead grass everywhere. I had a drive that plugged into a patch of dirt and putts that changed direction over dead patches. Of course that doesn't beat their marshalls yelling at you and being very rude for no reason

Commented on 07/07/2020

I had a much different experience. Really slow play, lots of dead grass, and worst we were yelled at by a racist marshall who called all of 50+ black men boys and told us to find a different course. Horrible experience at a horrible course with horrible staff

Decent Layout, Awful Maintenance and Staff

Not my first time playing there, I like the layout of the course but it looked like a warzone when I played on it recently. Chunks of dead grass on and all around the greens, tons of dead patches of fairway, just looked like it hasn't been kept up which is a shame. Staff there is extremely rude too both the marshals and pro shop staff.

Commented on 08/20/2020

Could not disagree more! Sounds like some cheap green fee shoppers here. This course is always great! Must have reviewed the wrong place or didn't like the price you paid.

Commented on 07/07/2020

Completely accurate. Avoid this course and spend your hard earned money somewhere better - don’t waste it here.

Challenging but fun

If you’re a good golfer, go ahead and play here from the championship tees. Really tough but a good track.

One of Colorado’s best

This is one of my favorites in Colorado. I play a lot of courses around the state, and if I ever see a deal here I take it. Sometimes the pace of play is a little slow, but that’s about my only issue. The course can be really tough though. One long par 5 is almost 700 yards with an extremely skinny fairway and native around it. Not for your unskilled golfer. If you’re a single digit handicap, 10/10 recommend. If you’re not the best golfer, maybe rethink, but still fun.

Fantastic course

Course is one of my favorites in all of Colorado. Worth the drive up. The only issues you may run into is a slower pace of play due to the challenging nature of the course. The course will either make you feel really well about your golf game, or the complete opposite. Playing from the championship or black tees is a real challenge too. If you’re a single digit handicap, I’d recommend playing here 10/10.

What a waste

My friend was visiting and he had heard of this course and wanted to play. Big mistake. They had 7 minute tee times, and we were backed up 2 groups off the start. We left after 8 holes because we were approaching 3 hours. The course is HUGE and they let people walk, which just isn’t gonna work for pace of play. Also the Marshall was constantly telling us to keep pace up. We waited on every hole, usually two groups ahead of us on every tee box. The tee times are 7 minutes apart, golfer pace isn’t the root issue here. Never again

Harassment

Every time I go here, we get harassed by the marshals for pace of play. Our group had a tough 2nd hole with 3 guys hitting errant shots we had to look for. We got behind by 1 hole early. The marshal promptly showed up and rudely told us we were a hole behind and if we didn’t pick it up they would make us skip a hole. Meanwhile the group behind us was a hole behind us so we weren’t holding anybody up. We acknowledged and said we would catch up. The marshal followed us for the next 2 holes and then told us we were 1/2 a hole behind. We agreed saying we obviously picked up our pace. He continued to bark at us until we were eventually had to wait on the group in front of us every shot on the back 9.

This happens EVERY TIME we play there. I’m a 0.4 handicap so not like a bunch of newbies out there. This course takes any enjoyment out of playing. There are less abrasive ways to get your customers to speed up. I suggest the staff go play Green Valley Ranch and see how customer service is done right!

Commented on 07/09/2020

Hmmm, a 0.4 handicap, but you don't understand it's your job to keep pace with the group in front of you and NOT the group behind you?? You're suspect.

Commented on 05/23/2020

Then play faster! I read comments from people complaining about marshals. They don't bother you if you are not slow. Play faster!!!!

Good Track Ruined by Houses and Poor Maintenance

I was very much looking forward to playing this course, given that it has hosted NCAA Regional Championships and the CU golf team.
What I found was an unfortunate ode to 1990s golf ... the era when courses were designed around the golf cart, and thus made unwalkable, and weaved through houses for reasons that still baffle me.
The houses are too close to the course on many holes, and block any view of the mountains.
The course itself is fine - the greens were true, if unimaginative - but the bunkers had not been maintained, and a lack of care for the course was evident.
This may once have been a championship course, but it's now a glorified muni.

Commented on 05/23/2020

Course is in terrific shape! Not sure you reviewed the correct course.

Excellent and well maintained course

I held back from playing this course because it is a bit of a drive and because of numerous negative reviews. I can say that waiting to play this course was a mistake based on those negative reviews. This is a well maintained course with excellent staff. This is a links style open course. I and my friend were pleased about how well it was maintained (greens and fairways perfect). Our encounter with staff was pleasant and professional. I have no idea why there are negative reviews. This is a great and somewhat long links style course with excellent facilities. I suggest that you ignore negative reviews and decide for yourself. I was put off by those reviews and it was a mistake. Go enjoy a nice course!

Disappointed.

The layout is good but the setting is terrible. We walked the course and it is not set up for that. Every course should be set up for walkers. No discount for not taking a cart. My biggest complaint is the course was WAY to wet. Almost every drive left a ball mark in the fairway allowing for no role and having to clean your ball due to all the mud on it. No idea how they do not see how wet their course was. I would bypass this course as there are many better at a cheaper price.

Colorado Advisor

Not ideal

For the record, I still think this is the best course in the area. BUT, a couple of things really bothered me yesterday. First I bought a bucket of balls in the pro shop before my round to warm up and came to find out after the fact that the course had been providing free range balls that morning...I'm sure the guys in the shop knew about it and just decided to not tell me. BOO. Our group also encountered a very pushy marshall on the 12th hole who told us to play faster when we were not backing anyone up and were waiting on 2 foursomes all day. He clearly didn't know what he was doing. Bottom line: Don't play here on a weekend. Too expensive and too many headaches.

Dont Golf Here

I olayed here in Friday at 327 p.m. The course was completely overbooked with up to four groups waiting on a hole at one time. 3.50 hours later we left after 9 holes.Left messages for Gm and Golf pro, nobody returned calls. Horrible golf course never wlll golf there again.

Birthday golf date

I played the course for the fifth time with my son on his birthday. The weather was fantastic for this time of the year and the course was in good plus condition for this time of the year. The greens are difficult and some of the pin placements were really difficult. We had good round.

Thornton, Colorado