Colorado National Golf Club

Copper 72 6230 yards 69.1 122
Cooper (W) 72 6230 yards 74.6 137
Silver (W) 72 5530 yards 71.3 124
Jade (W) 72 4790 yards 67.2 111

The golf course at the Colorado National Golf Club is an 18-hole, public course that is situated just 20 minutes north of Denver. Jay Morrish designed the formerly known as Vista Ridge golf course with a traditional links-style layout. The course covers 7.404 yards of golf from its longest tees and plays to a par of 72. Rolling fairways lined with native grasses and large, undulating greens make the golf course interesting, while beautiful views of snow-topped mountains provide pleasant scenery. The course has many bunkers as well as water hazards. Colorado National Golf Club also features five sets of tee boxes for golfers to work on a number of different handicaps.

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views locals   Challenges include bunkers water hazards elevation changes   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Excellent and well maintained course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2018

I held back from playing this course because it is a bit of a drive and because of numerous negative reviews. I can say that waiting to play this course was a mistake based on those negative reviews. This is a well maintained course with excellent staff. This is a links style open course. I and my friend were pleased about how well it was maintained (greens and fairways perfect). Our encounter with staff was pleasant and professional. I have no idea why there are negative reviews. This is a great and somewhat long links style course with excellent facilities. I suggest that you ignore negative reviews and decide for yourself. I was put off by those reviews and it was a mistake. Go enjoy a nice course!

"Disappointed."

hogan555's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017
First time playing Walked Wet weather

The layout is good but the setting is terrible. We walked the course and it is not set up for that. Every course should be set up for walkers. No discount for not taking a cart. My biggest complaint is the course was WAY to wet. Almost every drive left a ball mark in the fairway allowing for no role and having to clean your ball due to all the mud on it. No idea how they do not see how wet their course was. I would bypass this course as there are many better at a cheaper price.

"Not ideal"

jd6236's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2017

For the record, I still think this is the best course in the area. BUT, a couple of things really bothered me yesterday. First I bought a bucket of balls in the pro shop before my round to warm up and came to find out after the fact that the course had been providing free range balls that morning...I'm sure the guys in the shop knew about it and just decided to not tell me. BOO. Our group also encountered a very pushy marshall on the 12th hole who told us to play faster when we were not backing anyone up and were waiting on 2 foursomes all day. He clearly didn't know what he was doing. Bottom line: Don't play here on a weekend. Too expensive and too many headaches.

"Dont Golf Here"

lottosen2420's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2017

I olayed here in Friday at 327 p.m. The course was completely overbooked with up to four groups waiting on a hole at one time. 3.50 hours later we left after 9 holes.Left messages for Gm and Golf pro, nobody returned calls. Horrible golf course never wlll golf there again.

Gerardo8177532's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2016

"Birthday golf date"

Bluecat18's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I played the course for the fifth time with my son on his birthday. The weather was fantastic for this time of the year and the course was in good plus condition for this time of the year. The greens are difficult and some of the pin placements were really difficult. We had good round.

"Challenging but forgiving"

chimel's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/15/2016

A fun course with plenty of room for error! Greens are a challenge. Better be on the proper tier for a good putt.

"Greens"

fhomsher's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The greens are very sub par. Not in good shape at all.

"Warm but Windy Fall Round"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

On a 78 degree, windy Fall day, the course was well manicured, greens fast but true and fair. Fairways were fair and well defined. Rough was penal. Challenging to tell which tee markers were at which location. Mitigated by the on-cart GPS which seemed accurate.

"Best public option in /around Boulder"

jd6236's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2016

I've played this course a handful of times over the years . It sets the bar for public courses in the area for sure. You won't get more for the money anywhere else. Just hope that continues to be the case now that it has been purchased by Bear Dance and I don't have to find a new course!

"Colorado National Golf Club - Erie, CO"

uOTLL5771OT's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Staff was courteous and attentive. Off course amenities were excellent. Course was in pretty good shape especially since it is public and A LOT of players don't fix ball marks. Excellent value.

"Fast round!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2016

Played Thursday afternoon before the NFL opener between Broncos and Panthers. Course was wide open. Played 18 in 3 hours and 15 minutes. Pro shop person wasn't the friendliest, but the starter was cool. Course had been areated, but overall in great shape!

"Course Aeration"

bbenso's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

We played the front 9 twice as the back 9 was closed for aeration. Never in 20 years have I been to a course that did that. There was no info on web site that the back 9 would be closed when reservation was made. The front had already been aerated. Most of the bunkers looked like there had been a party in them the night before. They had over watered I suppose, because of the aeration. Quite a few bunkers had small ravines in them from too much watering. Had to move the ball as a result from a couple of bunkers. So in my mind there was no course maintenance done that morning to make the course (front 9) enjoyable to the casual golfer. To be the home of the Colorado University golf team, the conditions were deplorable with no warning for the daily golfer. Will not return.

"Unfriendly golf shop"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/29/2016

The guy behind the counter acted is if he has been tortured into working there. If you hate your job so much go work somewhere else. The fellas in the cart return area where friendly. You should focus on having friendly staff that interacts with the customer in a professional manner. The course conditions certainly left much to be desired. I understand it's late in the season but it should be posted or told to players that the greens are plugged and sanded.

"The Notorious Marshall"

chazzykk's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016

Booked a foursome hot deal prepaid tee time on Golfnow.com. @ 936. Course was in great shape. One of our guys was running a little late. The guys in the pro shop brought him down to us on the 1st fairway. That was nice & they had no problem doing it. The starter was nice & informative, (Bob I think) as we had 2 players that haven't played there before. Everything was going great! One of the Marshall's even went back to hole #1 for my buddy's club, that he forgot & brought it to us by hole #4. By hole #7 a Marshall in a black shirt, the rest had bright yellow on. Told us we were a hole & half behind the pace & to hurry up. Yes the group in front of us was gone but the group behind us wasn't waiting AT ALL! Then when we're driving from #10 green to #11 tee box & 2 Marshall's pass us. First one in bright yellow waves & says nothing then the Marshall in the black shirt tells us we're now 12 minutes & 2.5 holes holes behind & if we don't hurry up we'll be asked to skip a hole. We look back & the group behind us (which is a three some) is still teeing off, which we tell him. He then tells us that everyone is complaining about the pace because of us. Couple minutes later we receive a message on the gps saying we'll have to skip a hole if we don't hurry up. So now he's in our head, couple of us shank one off the tee then proceed to find more bunkers than usual for a solid 3 holes. Golf has a lot of mental focus & when your told to hurry up, it makes things worse. Oh & all the water stations were empty on the front 9 by 10am. Some reviews warned me of such things, guess they were right! Probably won't come back here for awhile now......

"Nix Review"

nehrhart1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2016

The water features were not running.

"Perfect!"

uZLDT9821ZL's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2016

I booked a round for my buddy and I here and was definitely impressed with this course. For the most part, the greens, fairways and tee boxes were well kept, although the greens played really fast. Part of the game though, right? All of the staff that we encountered were friendly as well. Definitely well worth what we paid! We'll be back..

"Bring water..."

mraitman's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Played here before a few times before. Very annoyed by several factors this round. We played at 1:48 pm on a 90 degree day. None of the water jugs around the course had any water in them after 3 pm. I was fine for the first nine as I had a full thermos of water and another iced tea I was drinking, but the back 9 was a different story. There was no sand in many of the bunkers, just baked hard clay. The GPS in the cart made us back up several times because it thought we were driving through the native when we were just in the rough a good 20 feet from anywhere we shouldn't drive. Pace of play was very slow, though our group wan't quick. We did mange to stay a hole or hole and a half behind the group in front of us, so even if we'd played faster we wouldn't have gotten very far. And all the while the GPS kept sending us nasty-grams about being behind pace.

"Okay, Why Is It So Hyped?"

Bunkertown20's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2016

I am not sure what all the hype is about at Colorado National... maybe is stems from being CUs home course. A fine layout, fairly long links style golf course with plenty of elevation change but the conditions were mediocre at best. In the middle of the summer for a course that charges $70 to play I expect near perfect conditioning. At least 3 greens had just as much dirt on them as grass and some fairways were absolutely soaked! I may give this course another chance but there are so many other golf courses within a half hour that blow this place out of the water

"Don't play"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2016

I read the reviews hoping they were wrong. The course is a glorified cow pasture at best. The greens were rolling around 12. Not due to being rolled and true but due to the lack of actual grass. The pro shop staff has to be the worst I have ever experienced. I grew up in NC playing Pinehurst and Piper Glen to name a few. If you are looking to play a weed infested golf course and be insulted at the same time then Colorado National is for you.

Course Layout: Poor