Port Royal Golf Course

Located on the shorefront of Southampton Parish, the Port Royal Golf Course is one of the most frequented public golf courses in Bermuda and it is even known as being one of Jack Nicklaus' favorites. Robert Trent Jones designed this 18-hole course, which hosts the Bermuda Open Championship every year. Doglegs and wind are just some of the factors that will challenge golfers on this course. The signature hole is the scenic and rather infamous 16th, situated precariously atop craggy cliffs that overlook the Atlantic Ocean. The hole requires a nearly perfect shot in order to reach the green. Port Royal Golf Course has garnered such a following that some golfers reserve starting time a year in advance.
Port Royal Golf Club
Scorecard for Port Royal Golf Course
Black M: 74.6/139 438 567 148 458 380 370 517 213 383 3474 350 443 383 235 393 412 235 507 410 3368 6842
Blue M: 72.4/138 423 539 138 402 367 353 504 189 370 3285 334 424 349 195 371 390 180 495 378 3116 6401
White M: 70.2/133 W: 75.7/136 395 509 129 379 330 327 473 166 340 3048 315 396 325 161 336 349 142 469 353 2846 5894
Red W: 71.9/127 338 444 113 345 314 277 434 129 321 2715 287 343 273 135 290 323 105 393 312 2461 5176

Year Built 1970
Greens TifEagle Grass

Golf School Academy Yes - "Port Royal Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard and American Express accepted
Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes only
Walking Allowed Yes, except before 2 pm on weekends.
Dress code Proper golf attire must be worn at all times. Jeans, beach wear, track suits and T-shirts without collars are all considered inappropriate

Plays Long 14
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 19

Magical setting

Must play Port Royal at least once in your life. Beautiful layout with some spectacular views. 15th and 16th holes worth the price. Greens always in great shape.

Spectacular location

One of my favourites anywhere. Unfortunately the course had recently been arreated and the greens were bumpy and sandy. Pet peeves with this high-end, high priced venue:

No ice in the coolers on the carts and no water provided.

So scenic

Top notch facility! Views on back nine are 2nd to none. Great staff!

amazing views and some great golf!!

We were theer for a 2 day cruise stop so playing 18 holes on a regular course was the perfect option. Course was just a couple of miles from the cruise ship, taxi was easy but and extra $25 expense each way. The day was perfect. Views amazing. Course impeccable. Had just been aerated so green were tough to play. Would recommend this course to anyone visiting Bermuda!!

We had a great weather, played a good round of golf followed by a beer! We enjoyed it!

Great course and views!

On a short vacation in Bermuda and really wanted to play the course. I knew the weather would not be ideal but was willing to play in any conditions. Course is beautiful and lush. Only issue was due to the rain the sand traps were holding water. A lot of elevation changes which were enjoyable. Views of the ocean are amazing. If you are in Bermuda play this course.

A must play !!

This course is a must play when visiting Bermuda !!! I was there on a cruise in which we were docked in Bermuda for three days. I booked my tee time online without a hitch. The taxi was a little over $ 40.00 round trip with tip. The pace of play was great . There were two foursomes from the ship I was on , so I as they did, took my time and play at my leisure. There was a twosome maybe three holes behind me . The course conditions were immaculate!! The greens were rolling fairly true to the lines . The scenery on the back nine is AMAZING !! I almost couldn't concentrate playing some of the holes due to the background . I recommend you bring your own clubs as the rentals have seen better days. I'm glad I brought mine !!! One dislike I had was the website for the course said a SLEEVE OF BALLS would be included with the green fee . What I received was six reclaimed balls probably taken from the water hazards on the course. So again , Bring your own as the sleeves in the pro shop were a little pricey !!! The staff though is very very friendly and helpful. They also had a refreshment cart on course as well as a snack shop at the turn. All in all , I would definitely play this track again if ever returning to the island. The track is challenging but fair , if you select the proper tee. Well worth the $150.00 green fee to me . Just standing in the 16th tee box was worth the fee !!!

32ba5ab3-4116-5962-bd17-0aba1caafd5b
jmurg278
Commented On 07/11/2018

Just curious.. Which cruise line were you on? How did you get the taxi to and from the course? Did the Cruise Line help you book this or did you do it on your own.?

AWESOME !!!!,

This golf course is "AWESOME !!! TOUGH ,but playable if you choose the right tees !!! The vistas are amazing !! I almost forgot I was playing golf with a foursome behind !!! The back nine is great , challenging especially the par 3 16th !!!! When in Bermuda ,this course is on MUST play !!!

The only negative is their rental clubs are OLD and not in great shape !!! ( glad I brought mine ) Also the sleeve of balls included in the package are actually recycled balls found in the water hazards !!! Some were waterlogged and just not good. I used their golf balls as " water balls " to hit over the hazards". Other than those things , my round was STUPENDOUS !!!!

spectacular views

I played as a single and thoroughly enjoyed my round. I was surprised by the elevation changes and several holes were uphill and very challenging. The par threes were especially fun. The ocean views were worth the price of admission, particularly on the back nine. Since I am a senior I played the white tees and found them to be well suited to my game. The driving range and practice green were excellent. I would highly recommend this course.

Sand traps

Fairways and greens were nice. Traps were not a good quality for the cost. Thin layer of sand on the top and hard pan underneath

Beatutiful Place

Very much enjoyed our round. The course laid out well. Was very fair in its play, and was in good shape. Couldn't get over how beautiful the ocean was on the back nine. Visited the old fort along the way as well.

Good Track, no TLC in Winter

We enjoyed our round, but the course was shaggy. The rental clubs were $50 and had probably seen a good 300 rounds on them with no new grips. Not sure what year Burner 2.0s came out, but they need to be retired or at least regripped. Good layout, with insane elevation changes and amazing vistas. Putts were definitely not rolling out, may have been rain previous day, but they were more fuzzy than I like.

It is a great course to play. Being off season it was pretty empty. We were able to finish in 3-31/2 hours. Being a twosome the players are very accommodating when coming up on a foursome they graciously let you play through not like at home! The views are spectacular.

Challenging

I've golf this course several times over the years and I love it, I love it. The ups and downs of the terrain makes you think about club selection before hitting. The scenery is like no other. The course is in excellent condition and you gotta love those bunkers. Staff are excellent, very friendly and helpful. We come from Western Canada to play this course.

Greens were difficult because they were top dressed. Facility is limited, carts are in less than fair condition.

A must play in Bermuda!!!

Great course. Stay out of the rough. I keep coming back to this course each time I go. I started playing this course in 2005 and will continue to play. I just love hole # 16. It is so much fun!!!!

Southampton, Bermuda