Located on the shorefront of Southampton Parish, the Port Royal Golf Course is one of the most frequented public golf courses in Bermuda and it is even known as being one of Jack Nicklaus' favorites. Robert Trent Jones designed this 18-hole course, which hosts the Bermuda Open Championship every year. Doglegs and wind are just some of the factors that will challenge golfers on this course. The signature hole is the scenic and rather infamous 16th, situated precariously atop craggy cliffs that overlook the Atlantic Ocean. The hole requires a nearly perfect shot in order to reach the green. Port Royal Golf Course has garnered such a following that some golfers reserve starting time a year in advance.

Port Royal Golf Club

Year Built 1970
Greens TifEagle Grass

Golf School Academy Yes - "Port Royal Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard and American Express accepted
Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes only
Walking Allowed Yes, except before 2 pm on weekends.
Dress code Proper golf attire must be worn at all times. Jeans, beach wear, track suits and T-shirts without collars are all considered inappropriate

Plays Long 14
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 19

What a great course! Of course the views are breathtaking and make it hard to focus on the game. We will play it again any chance we have. Golfnow makes it affordable and so easy to book a tee time.

Port Royal Golf Course, Bermuda

As a tourist, taking the bus is great as you are let off in front of the course entrance. As convenient as that is, getting to the club house from there is not, as you need to walk uphill a fair distance. The course itself though, is challenging as you need to be accurate with your shots due to doglegs, plenty of hazards and elevation change. It was also windy (seemed mostly into your shot) but not as strong as the hawaiin trade winds. I have not played any of the other courses on the island yet so i cannot make any comparisons, but for the price i paid with a cart i won't complain as i live to play.

Breathtaking views!!

Great course overall! Lots of traps making it enough of a challenge. Very accommodating staff! Remtal cluns were a bit steep do their condition . I would bring my own next time .

Views on the back nine are amazing

It may be a bit windy sometimes, but the views from the back nine are amazing. Course in very good shape too.

Tough but Beautiful Course

This is a great course, albeit, a lot of ups and downs. If it's windy there is a real challenge. One of my most favorite courses.

Following the footsteps of the greatest

This course had multiple breathtaking vistas. Difficult to focus on the game! Played on an exceptionally windy day. Very challenging. Bunkers are something to behold! We rented clubs and the fee was steep given the tired clubs we were provided. Greens fees are pricey but can get good deal on a Golf Now, etc. Condition of the course and greens were good. Pleasant outing. Felt incredible knowing I was walking/playing where some amazing golfers have played!

Its all about the 16th hole

Port Royal did not live up to its hype. The course was in OK condition I've played at better courses for the same money. The fairways were not like a carpet as you would expect for $100 round of golf. The 16th hole did live up to its expectations a beautiful Hole with great Vistas and hard to play. There were about four or five holes that Overlook the ocean with beautiful views the rest could have been anywhere in the United States. If you can find Greens fees for under $100 on golf now or other apps it might be worth it. The staff was excellent however I would not recommend this course for $100 round of golf

Spectacular setting and solid golf

Port Royal weighs in as a second fiddle - but a strong one - to the sublime Mid Ocean Club in Bermuda. A Robert Trent Jones/Rees Jones course, P.R. starts off a little slowly with a somewhat awkward first hole and then five solid, but unremarkable holes before climbing a hill toward the oceanfront setting that comprises much of the rest of the course. The course's western exposure means you should endeavor to play it in the afternoon and time it so that you'll be treated to an amazing sunset as you get 'round to the 15th and 16th holes.

Port Royal Is a Gem

Great course. We had scheduled 18, but it was so windy we only got through 9. The staff made sure we got to play the back nine on another day. Excellent staff and exceptional course! Hole #16 was fantastic. So much so that a bought a painting of the hole from a local artist!

Fantastic course - highly recommended

I've played here a few times now and is the most challenging course I have played. It is also one of the most beautiful. The wind on the back 9 is always strong no matter the conditions which make it even more challenging. The staff are friendly and helpful, the buggies are good and the course was in great shape. Highly recommended.

Plays Once a year

Well maintained public course

Nice course to play from Whites and Reds. Fairways and greens good conditions.

What a great course!

This is everything I'd want in a course. I used all of my clubs. The wind made direction and distance choices extra challenging. I wish that this was my home course. Even though I'm a fan of CB MacDonald courses, I enjoyed this more than I did The Mid-Ocean Club. We were rained out of our tee time but were able to reschedule within our vacation time constraints. This is one of my favorite courses in the world, having played everywhere from Alaska to Scotland to Bali.

Great Course Worth Trip To Bermuda

My wife and I played on a December afternoon with winds in the 20-30 knot range. We went out after the Goodwill Golf Tournament ended at 1:50, so we had to skip holes 11-13 to be able to play the finishing holes with at least some daylight. Since we were after a shotgun, there were only a few groups on the course, which allowed us to get in the 15 holes in a little over 3 hours. Because of the tournament, we played to very difficult pin placements, especially with the wind. The course condition was very good. Bunkers are well placed so that they can put pins in either easy or difficult positions. This was a great course that I (a 9 handicapper) and my wife (a 36 handicapper) both enjoyed. My favorite hole was the 7th, a par 5 with a downhill drive, dogleg left to an uphill (huge uphill) approach. Combined with the beaches, this is the course that would get us back to Bermuda. Mid Ocean would, too, if it wasn't so expensive. They are also trying very hard with their restaurant. We had lunch there twice; the second time we shared a huge sandwich.

Poor weather

Loved Port Royal

This was my first time playing port royal. The day was rainy and windy certainly not a great day but when on vacation you play. First the pro shop etc are nothing to write home about kind of run down really. Haveing said that I didnt go into the main part of the building so I cant speak to that. The service by staff however was top notch. My club rentals were burners in good condition the bag however should have been thrown out years ago. I played from the white tees and because of the weather the whole course was mine. From the whites its about 5600yrds. The course layout is challenging Im not a great golfer so the dog legs and elevation changes and they were alot were a test for me. the fairways and greens were well maintained. The greens were a little slow for what Im use to but not to the point of being too slow. I just prefer fast greens. The vistas are breathtaking even with a rainy gloomy day. I was constantly taking picks of the course which I think helped this 53 yr old break 100 for the first time shot a 95. I highly recommend this course especially if you can get a hot deal. If you pay full price which on golf now is around $144 then rent clubs at $50 the price is pretty high but still worth it to play a PGA type course. I cant wait to play again when I get back to Bermuda. The back 9 is visually spectacular especially 15 and 16.

Plays Once a year

LONG AND BEAUTIFUL

Tough course for a high handicapper from the whites.
The most scenic course i have ever played.Stunning
ocean views.Strongly recommend a cart because the course is long and hilly.

Fantastic setting & laid back

Best place to play in Bermuda. Back nine with spectacular vistas. Try to time the back nine late in day to catch setting sun over the Atlantic. Played on my honeymoon in 1975 and was a bucket list item if I ever returned. Club rentals not so great.

Spectacular Views and Good Conditions

Port Royal is a gorgeous course and by far provides the most value on Bermuda if you take advantage of the Twilight rates. There are stunning water views on over half of the holes, and the course features lots of exciting layouts and elevation changes. Did not get a chance to play Mid-Ocean but I'm sure I would take 3 rounds here over 1 at Mid-Ocean every time.

Southampton, Bermuda