Located on the shorefront of Southampton Parish, the Port Royal Golf Course is one of the most frequented public golf courses in Bermuda and it is even known as being one of Jack Nicklaus' favorites. Robert Trent Jones designed this 18-hole course, which hosts the Bermuda Open Championship every year. Doglegs and wind are just some of the factors that will challenge golfers on this course. The signature hole is the scenic and rather infamous 16th, situated precariously atop craggy cliffs that overlook the Atlantic Ocean. The hole requires a nearly perfect shot in order to reach the green. Port Royal Golf Course has garnered such a following that some golfers reserve starting time a year in advance.

Port Royal Golf Club

Year Built 1970
Greens TifEagle Grass

Golf School Academy Yes - "Port Royal Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard and American Express accepted
Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes only
Walking Allowed Yes, except before 2 pm on weekends.
Dress code Proper golf attire must be worn at all times. Jeans, beach wear, track suits and T-shirts without collars are all considered inappropriate

Plays Long 14
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 19

Beautiful views of the ocean

I thought I was in heaven hitting into greens with the ocean as a backdrop. Just wish they made air conditioning for golfcarts

Terrificbut...

Course wonderful, staff terrific

However, dear members you are representing not only your club but your country. Hitting into guests and then the other groupr being more than two holes behind and telling the young marshall to shove it is very poor form.

Thankfully Ed a member we played with was more than cordial.

So, gentleman if you can not be polite perhaps ettiquette lesson is in order.

Still you could not deter a great time

Poor weather

Splndid PGA course

If you are going to Bermuda this is a must play. One of the finest golf courses I've ever played. Bunkers Bunkers and more Bunkers. Beautiful scenery and challenging holes. Conditions were great although the weather did not cooperate. 35 mph wind and rain on the first 5 holes but I still would not have missed it for the world. I' a 20 handicap and shot a 102 and was thrilled under those conditions. The pro shop staff and cart guys were awsome. Believe it or not it was crowded but pace of play was 4:15.

Fantastic Getaway Course

I did my research on Bermuda golf before deciding on Port Royale. It was a great choice and certainly a course I will go back to. The staff was very friendly and helped me find my way to the driving range and even allowed me to tee off early when another 2some was teeing off.
The course has a nice layout with the front nine meandering among flowering shrubs and well manicured landscaping. It played easier than I thought; this is certainly not a complaint! Playing on Bermuda grass was new to me and a welcomed challenge. The back nine was more memerable with the Ocean in view. Reaching the elevated 7th green was amazing with the ocean stretching nearly 180 degrees in the background.
The course was dry and the greens were very firm. I had trouble getting any approach to stick. The greens were very quick and had plenty of break making my short game tricky but very fun. I was pleased with the elevation changes, some holes changing a good 100 feet from fairway to green (so it seemed).

Definitely a fun course and one I recommend playing.

Range

How about spending a few dollars on the driving range mats!!!

Great course, great views

Pace was a bit slow, probably because we played on a Saturday. Last time we were done in 4 hours. This round was more than 4 and a half hours. There were no rangers on the course to move folks along. It is a very difficult course, but certainly the views are worth everything. No food at the snack bar so unless you could find a seat in the clubhouse after the round, you could not eat there

Beautiful spot!

Port Royal was a pleasure to play. It was supposed to rain all day but it held off during our round. While I'm sure that it would be more stunning in sunlight it was still one of the more beautiful courses I've played, especially on the back 9. Things like the driving range and practice green are not emphasized like they are at US courses, the beauty of the course can't be beat. The 16th hole is certainly the most challenging hole on the course (especially from the back tees), but there are many other holes that were memorable. I will be returning to PR on future trips to Bermuda.

Fantastic location

I have played many scenic golf courses all over the world but have to say Port Royal on a beautiful sunny day can not be beat! Absolutely stunning sea views Course itself is in good condition , many uphill and challenging holes but all manageable for an average player like myself Just go you won't regret it

A Treat

Always a fun course to play. #16 gets me every time. 3 balls in the ocean. The scenery is stunning.

Fantastic views

The course was in beautiful condition. The fairways and greens were in excellent shape. I have played this course twice now, and will be back!.

A Vacationer's Must!

What.A.Play. Port Royal was truly one of, if not the finest round of golf I have ever played. My wife & myself took a cruise to Bermuda last week and I made sure that visiting this course was near the top of our list.

We arrived and were dropped at the front of the course. We began the walk up and luckily were met by a maintenance gentleman that drove us the whole way up to the clubhouse as it was quite a walk up the hill. The clubhouse locals were extremely friendly and inviting, got us free range tokens and directed around the grounds. We were even taken off about 30 minutes early.

The course itself was truly remarkable. In excellent shape from tee to green. On the day we played, you couldn't have asked for a better day temperature wise. It was mid 70's but was rather windy. It made for some truly challenging shots. Notably, the 180 yard shot into the 1st green over a pond. The par four 9th hole usually plays about 400 yards (scorecard says 350) being that it is entirely uphill but with a stiff wind the clubhouse attendant told us it was closer to 475-500! The layout of the holes were really what set the course apart for me. No two holes play alike. A true tour de force in terms of golfing a high end course.

The pace of play was respectable enough, we played through an older group of 4 on the front nine being that it was just my wife & myself. The back nine we were stuck behind a group of three that could have played a bit quicker. Front nine we played in under 2 hours, back nine in just over 2.

For anyone thinking of playing golf in Bermuda, I can't recommend Port Royal enough. Yes, it is an extremely expensive round but how often are you going to get to play a par 3 that literally hangs on a cliff over the Atlantic Ocean? The views in itself from some of the tee boxes make the round enjoyable & well worth the price. I am looking forward to our next visit to give the course another go.

Pebble in Bermuda

This was my third time playing Port Royal, and it gets better each time that I tee it up. It is situated next to the ocean, so wind does come into play on many holes. This time it was 90 degree rule, as opposed to cartpath only. This course has serious elevation changes, so being able to actually drive to your ball was a plus. The course was in immaculate condition, with hazards strategically placed to require well thought out shots to avoid the big number. I have played every course in Bermuda, and many more than once. Port Royal is definitely my favorite.

Great Views, Challenging course

We rode our scooters up to the club with our clubs on our back. Starter was helpful if a little gruff. Beverage cart was riding around. Good placement of break houses w/ bathrooms and water. Absolutely beautiful course. Got lucky on the weather, not a lot of wind. Lots of logo wear in the shop. Pace of play was pretty slow - they only allow 10 minutes between tee times, and since it's tourist golf, there can be backups with uncourteous people taking too much time. Have your camera ready and take pictures while you're waiting in the tee boxes.

Bermuda is stunning and so is this course

Beautiful golf course. Loved it. Fairway were a little dry but not much rain on the island.

Beautiful scenery

This course was not in top condition. Had expected it to be hillier. There were some interesting holes but not the layout I expected being that the PGA Grand Slam of Golf was played there a couple of years ago. The holes along the ocean had spectacular vistas. The only water on the course to drink was warm. Not the amenities of other courses. Not sure I would play it again. Pricier than others on the island.

Excellent experience at Port Royal!

I went to play Port Royal back in 2009, but they were doing work to the course so they were closed at that time. I just returned to Bermuda last week and finally got to play Port Royal. This was certainly a treat! I got a discount for being on one of the cruise boats in the dockyard. I made the tee time myself on GolfNow as opposed to booking through the boat, which would have cost me a lot more. When I got to the clubhouse, I just told them that I was on the boat and they gave me $30 off my round! I went with my girlfriend as well, who they allowed to drive with me for a $25 dollar cart fee, which I was fine with. She brought her driver to hit a few tee shots too. Even as a "non-golfer," she really enjoyed driving the cart around Port Royal because it was just gorgeous. The entire back 9 overlooks the ocean's blue water. This was one of my favorite rounds of golf ever. I'd go back to Port Royal in a heartbeat. Thank you!

Island Golf

a course that is part of the PGA circuit, nice to play where Rory stated for two weeks and the PGA was held I think for several years

Coming In by cab up the entrance to the pro shop ,playing.g the front nine,friendliness of the staff was a once in a lifetime experience

Very impressed with entire experience played front nine and course on great shape despite lack of rain

Great Course in Bermuda

It poured the day of play so they gave us a rain check- no problem. When we played the course was in beautiful shape. Very interesting design and breathtaking views of Bermuda to boot. We were told Tucker's Point was much better than Port Royal and this was not true. Port Royal was worth the money and far superior.

A Royal Good Time

While on a cruise to Bermuda we set up this 1/2 day round & it was well worth it. Fabulous scenery with some challenging holes.

Southampton, Bermuda