Located on the shorefront of Southampton Parish, the Port Royal Golf Course is one of the most frequented public golf courses in Bermuda and it is even known as being one of Jack Nicklaus' favorites. Robert Trent Jones designed this 18-hole course, which hosts the Bermuda Open Championship every year. Doglegs and wind are just some of the factors that will challenge golfers on this course. The signature hole is the scenic and rather infamous 16th, situated precariously atop craggy cliffs that overlook the Atlantic Ocean. The hole requires a nearly perfect shot in order to reach the green. Port Royal Golf Course has garnered such a following that some golfers reserve starting time a year in advance.

Port Royal Golf Club

Year Built 1970
Greens TifEagle Grass

Golf School Academy Yes - "Port Royal Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard and American Express accepted
Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes only
Walking Allowed Yes, except before 2 pm on weekends.
Dress code Proper golf attire must be worn at all times. Jeans, beach wear, track suits and T-shirts without collars are all considered inappropriate

Bar, Restaurant

Plays Long 15
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 19

Plays Once a year

Well maintained public course

Nice course to play from Whites and Reds. Fairways and greens good conditions.

What a great course!

This is everything I'd want in a course. I used all of my clubs. The wind made direction and distance choices extra challenging. I wish that this was my home course. Even though I'm a fan of CB MacDonald courses, I enjoyed this more than I did The Mid-Ocean Club. We were rained out of our tee time but were able to reschedule within our vacation time constraints. This is one of my favorite courses in the world, having played everywhere from Alaska to Scotland to Bali.

Great Course Worth Trip To Bermuda

My wife and I played on a December afternoon with winds in the 20-30 knot range. We went out after the Goodwill Golf Tournament ended at 1:50, so we had to skip holes 11-13 to be able to play the finishing holes with at least some daylight. Since we were after a shotgun, there were only a few groups on the course, which allowed us to get in the 15 holes in a little over 3 hours. Because of the tournament, we played to very difficult pin placements, especially with the wind. The course condition was very good. Bunkers are well placed so that they can put pins in either easy or difficult positions. This was a great course that I (a 9 handicapper) and my wife (a 36 handicapper) both enjoyed. My favorite hole was the 7th, a par 5 with a downhill drive, dogleg left to an uphill (huge uphill) approach. Combined with the beaches, this is the course that would get us back to Bermuda. Mid Ocean would, too, if it wasn't so expensive. They are also trying very hard with their restaurant. We had lunch there twice; the second time we shared a huge sandwich.

Poor weather

Loved Port Royal

This was my first time playing port royal. The day was rainy and windy certainly not a great day but when on vacation you play. First the pro shop etc are nothing to write home about kind of run down really. Haveing said that I didnt go into the main part of the building so I cant speak to that. The service by staff however was top notch. My club rentals were burners in good condition the bag however should have been thrown out years ago. I played from the white tees and because of the weather the whole course was mine. From the whites its about 5600yrds. The course layout is challenging Im not a great golfer so the dog legs and elevation changes and they were alot were a test for me. the fairways and greens were well maintained. The greens were a little slow for what Im use to but not to the point of being too slow. I just prefer fast greens. The vistas are breathtaking even with a rainy gloomy day. I was constantly taking picks of the course which I think helped this 53 yr old break 100 for the first time shot a 95. I highly recommend this course especially if you can get a hot deal. If you pay full price which on golf now is around $144 then rent clubs at $50 the price is pretty high but still worth it to play a PGA type course. I cant wait to play again when I get back to Bermuda. The back 9 is visually spectacular especially 15 and 16.

Plays Once a year

LONG AND BEAUTIFUL

Tough course for a high handicapper from the whites.
The most scenic course i have ever played.Stunning
ocean views.Strongly recommend a cart because the course is long and hilly.

Fantastic setting & laid back

Best place to play in Bermuda. Back nine with spectacular vistas. Try to time the back nine late in day to catch setting sun over the Atlantic. Played on my honeymoon in 1975 and was a bucket list item if I ever returned. Club rentals not so great.

Spectacular Views and Good Conditions

Port Royal is a gorgeous course and by far provides the most value on Bermuda if you take advantage of the Twilight rates. There are stunning water views on over half of the holes, and the course features lots of exciting layouts and elevation changes. Did not get a chance to play Mid-Ocean but I'm sure I would take 3 rounds here over 1 at Mid-Ocean every time.

Beautiful views of the ocean

I thought I was in heaven hitting into greens with the ocean as a backdrop. Just wish they made air conditioning for golfcarts

Terrificbut...

Course wonderful, staff terrific

However, dear members you are representing not only your club but your country. Hitting into guests and then the other groupr being more than two holes behind and telling the young marshall to shove it is very poor form.

Thankfully Ed a member we played with was more than cordial.

So, gentleman if you can not be polite perhaps ettiquette lesson is in order.

Still you could not deter a great time

Poor weather

Splndid PGA course

If you are going to Bermuda this is a must play. One of the finest golf courses I've ever played. Bunkers Bunkers and more Bunkers. Beautiful scenery and challenging holes. Conditions were great although the weather did not cooperate. 35 mph wind and rain on the first 5 holes but I still would not have missed it for the world. I' a 20 handicap and shot a 102 and was thrilled under those conditions. The pro shop staff and cart guys were awsome. Believe it or not it was crowded but pace of play was 4:15.

Fantastic Getaway Course

I did my research on Bermuda golf before deciding on Port Royale. It was a great choice and certainly a course I will go back to. The staff was very friendly and helped me find my way to the driving range and even allowed me to tee off early when another 2some was teeing off.
The course has a nice layout with the front nine meandering among flowering shrubs and well manicured landscaping. It played easier than I thought; this is certainly not a complaint! Playing on Bermuda grass was new to me and a welcomed challenge. The back nine was more memerable with the Ocean in view. Reaching the elevated 7th green was amazing with the ocean stretching nearly 180 degrees in the background.
The course was dry and the greens were very firm. I had trouble getting any approach to stick. The greens were very quick and had plenty of break making my short game tricky but very fun. I was pleased with the elevation changes, some holes changing a good 100 feet from fairway to green (so it seemed).

Definitely a fun course and one I recommend playing.

Range

How about spending a few dollars on the driving range mats!!!

Great course, great views

Pace was a bit slow, probably because we played on a Saturday. Last time we were done in 4 hours. This round was more than 4 and a half hours. There were no rangers on the course to move folks along. It is a very difficult course, but certainly the views are worth everything. No food at the snack bar so unless you could find a seat in the clubhouse after the round, you could not eat there

Beautiful spot!

Port Royal was a pleasure to play. It was supposed to rain all day but it held off during our round. While I'm sure that it would be more stunning in sunlight it was still one of the more beautiful courses I've played, especially on the back 9. Things like the driving range and practice green are not emphasized like they are at US courses, the beauty of the course can't be beat. The 16th hole is certainly the most challenging hole on the course (especially from the back tees), but there are many other holes that were memorable. I will be returning to PR on future trips to Bermuda.

Fantastic location

I have played many scenic golf courses all over the world but have to say Port Royal on a beautiful sunny day can not be beat! Absolutely stunning sea views Course itself is in good condition , many uphill and challenging holes but all manageable for an average player like myself Just go you won't regret it

A Treat

Always a fun course to play. #16 gets me every time. 3 balls in the ocean. The scenery is stunning.

Fantastic views

The course was in beautiful condition. The fairways and greens were in excellent shape. I have played this course twice now, and will be back!.

A Vacationer's Must!

What.A.Play. Port Royal was truly one of, if not the finest round of golf I have ever played. My wife & myself took a cruise to Bermuda last week and I made sure that visiting this course was near the top of our list.

We arrived and were dropped at the front of the course. We began the walk up and luckily were met by a maintenance gentleman that drove us the whole way up to the clubhouse as it was quite a walk up the hill. The clubhouse locals were extremely friendly and inviting, got us free range tokens and directed around the grounds. We were even taken off about 30 minutes early.

The course itself was truly remarkable. In excellent shape from tee to green. On the day we played, you couldn't have asked for a better day temperature wise. It was mid 70's but was rather windy. It made for some truly challenging shots. Notably, the 180 yard shot into the 1st green over a pond. The par four 9th hole usually plays about 400 yards (scorecard says 350) being that it is entirely uphill but with a stiff wind the clubhouse attendant told us it was closer to 475-500! The layout of the holes were really what set the course apart for me. No two holes play alike. A true tour de force in terms of golfing a high end course.

The pace of play was respectable enough, we played through an older group of 4 on the front nine being that it was just my wife & myself. The back nine we were stuck behind a group of three that could have played a bit quicker. Front nine we played in under 2 hours, back nine in just over 2.

For anyone thinking of playing golf in Bermuda, I can't recommend Port Royal enough. Yes, it is an extremely expensive round but how often are you going to get to play a par 3 that literally hangs on a cliff over the Atlantic Ocean? The views in itself from some of the tee boxes make the round enjoyable & well worth the price. I am looking forward to our next visit to give the course another go.

Pebble in Bermuda

This was my third time playing Port Royal, and it gets better each time that I tee it up. It is situated next to the ocean, so wind does come into play on many holes. This time it was 90 degree rule, as opposed to cartpath only. This course has serious elevation changes, so being able to actually drive to your ball was a plus. The course was in immaculate condition, with hazards strategically placed to require well thought out shots to avoid the big number. I have played every course in Bermuda, and many more than once. Port Royal is definitely my favorite.

Southampton, Bermuda