Tierra del Sol Resort & Golf

Style: Desert/Links
Greens: Bermuda Tif Dwarf

Carts: Yes (with GPS)
GPS: Yes

Metal spikes allowed: Soft spikes only
Dress code: Proper golf attire required
Credit cards accepted: Yes, major credit cards

"A great challenge"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Spectacular views , great layout , a true testament to the state of your game while playing in windy conditions. Beverage person very nice as were all staff in the club house & at the halfway house. Have played 3 times and cant wait to play again. 19th hole personnel were charming and enjoyable.

"Windy Aruba Golf!"

Cowboy14's avatar
Oklahoma Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

We played a 4some on May 2nd. Myself and my wife along with 2 work colleagues. It was probably the windiest golf I have ever played and I am form Oklahoma!. 40+ mph wind but beautiful course. We saw goats and an occasional iguana on the course. The fairways were pretty decent and the greens were a little slow compared to what most people are used to. I managed to shoot 83 and felt like I had shot 70. The greens were reachable in regulation as long as you club up or down for wind. I was hitting a 135 club for 100 yd shot into the wind. Beer is very expensive. $6 per brew. If you are a true golfer and want to play 18 different holes (not 9 twice) while in Aruba, then this is it. Fun experience.

"Always Windy"

Nishan2428355's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Only 18 hole course on the island. Slope rating of 119 from the Whites is deceiving because it doesn't account for the ever-present wind. We're talking a 2 club wind which changes direction almost every hole as the course is constantly changing direction as well. Driving range a waste because of the wind. Course not in great shape. Best part is the pace because you rarely see another golfer. We played twice in a week and finished in under 3 1/2 hours each time. We won't bring clubs next time we visit Aruba.

"5 Star Price for 4 Star Course"

scottie0205's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2017

Because it's the only 18 hole course of the island, I can see why they get the price. I recommend bringing your own clubs.

"Fun & challenging"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2017

Very good course well placed w/ terrific views of the ocean. Extreme ocean winds make this course very challenging but it's worth it if you like the challenge. Go for it.

"Desert/Ocean Golf"

Richard2310260's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2017

Excellent track. Generous fairways, well maintained. Stay on fairway because there is nothing but desert if you stray. Beautiful views of the Caribbean from many holes. Wind can be a problem. The off course amenities are luxurious and expensive. Overall, well worth the price.

"Awesome views and Incredibly windy!"

Ken6614917's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2016

The first couple of holes you'll feel like a god on a tee! Then you turn around into the wind and you wished you were playing from the seniors. On my Approach shot, first hole into the wind, I was a hundred and thirty three yards out. I used a 6-iron which I normally hit 170. The ball actually came backwards and into the center of the green!

The views are outstanding especially if you've never played in Ocean course. The overall conditions of the course are pretty good except the rough was long and I did lose two balls in it. Both were just off the Fairway.

"Tierra Del Wind"

BloodyMaryGolfr's avatar
Iowa Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

As the only eighteen-hole course in Aruba and after hearing great reviews from other vacationers, I knew I had to play this track. One thing everyone told me was expect to “club up” two or three clubs when hitting in to the wind. This was a valuable tip as Aruba consistently has a 20 to 30 mph wind.

I arrived at Tierra Del Sol which is part of high-end resort with all the amenities you could wish for. I checked in at the club house and was ready to go. Once outside, the bagboy loaded my bag into the cart and directed me to the starter. The cart had a GPS with score keeping which was a nice feature. The starter then directed me to the range and stated he would come get me when I was up. The range here was on a hill facing the Caribbean Ocean and was facing into the wind. Here I learned exactly what to expect when hitting in to the strong wind. A short time later I was up. I grabbed a Bloody Mary from the snack shack before I headed out and was less than impressed. The Bloody Mary was made of a generic mix, a dash of Tabasco and vodka. It was OK but I would not order it again.

The first tee box was elevated and I was hitting downhill with a strong wind behind me. This was excellent as I hit my longest drive of the year by about 20 yards. Several holes were downwind making it extremely challenging when determining the right club to hit. Going in to the wind was also a major challenge as it was in fact necessary to club up 2 or 3 clubs. These challenges were a constant throughout the round, but course designer Robert Trent Jones II did an excellent job designing Tierra Del Sol with the wind in mind, making very playable.

The fairways at Tierra Del Sol were open and very well maintained, as well as the rough and bunkers. There greens here were very soft, almost sponge like. On a few occasions my ball was 2/3rds plugged after hitting a hybrid in to it. Well placed approach shots often stuck as the greens were very receptive.

The views at Tierra Del Sol were spectacular. On the way out, several holes offered views of the California Lighthouse. Views of the spectacular Caribbean ocean and wind surfers also made it hard to concentrate while playing, especially mixed in with the desert layout. Playing an ocean and desert course at the same time is quite the experience. There was also some wildlife on the course including a herd of Billy Goats that came in to play on more than one occasion.

All in all, Tierra Del Sol is a must play if you’re in Aruba. Lots of elevation changes, lots of views, lots of wind on a very playable course and lots of fun. As Tierra Del Sol says, “Where can you play Scotland, Scottsdale and the Caribbean all at the same time!