Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Country Club

• +44 (0) 1896 833600, +44 (0) 1896 831144
  • +44 (0) 1896 831166
  • macdonaldhotels.co.uk

Year built: 2001
Architect(s): Dave Thomas (2001)
Type: Resort
Style: Parkland/Woodland

Caddies: Yes

Practice hole: Yes
Golf school / academy: Yes - "Lee Westwood Golf School"

Dress code: Resort Casual

Championship 72 7010 yards N/A N/A
Boxes 72 6555 yards N/A N/A
Front 72 6139 yards N/A N/A

"Mixed bag this time"

Markwlove's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2018

Was pleasantly surprised when I heard the course was open after all of the rain and snow. The course however was in remarkably good condition with very few areas of standing water. We were a bit disappointed though when we finished and tried to get something to eat in the spikes bar. We were told there was next to nothing available other than a bacon roll and we would have to go upstairs to the main bar/lounge. Considering we were covered in mud from the course this was not really an option. I've no idea why we couldn't have simply ordered something from the bar menu and had it brought downstairs. Pretty disappointing from such a major hotel brand.

"Awesome course in Amazing condition particularly for late October"

t1798958927's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2017

Me and my 13-year old son played Cardrona for the first time in late October after heavy rain in the region had resulted in much standing and casual water on surrounding courses. We were amazed that despite the course lying in the river basin that makes up part of the beautiful Tweed valley, the course was in amazing condition. There was some casual water in isolated places on the fairways and one bunker that I noticed but otherwise the course played as though it was mid-summer. The greens had been hollow tined, which is to be expected on UK courses at this time of year, however I was amazed at how 'true' a line putts kept on all greens. I have never putted on hollow tined greens that were this good. Bunkers were very well maintained and evenly filled with good quality sand and the course condition was a credit to the greens staff. We both thought that Cardrona has lots of character and every single hole was interesting. Fairways are wide and generous and the second cut of rough is deservedly punishing. Many well thought out bunker placements capture erroneous shots and reward good course management. Although the course is long measuring in excess of 7000 yards, it is not just for the 'bombers' as long hitters are punished for poor shots by the clever course design and layout, which reminds me a lot of the Centenary course at Gleneagles - high praise but well deserved. Some golfers might not enjoy the long walk between some greens to the next tee but it is not something that bothered us at all, particularly when you are walking through such beautiful scenery.

I was mindful after reading other reviews before playing of some comments made by others regarding "unfriendly course staff". This was not our experience at all, the pro was welcoming and helpful on arrival and the greens staff were pleasant and courteous around the course, as were the hotel staff in the bar etc. We both loved the experience and would play Cardrona again, anytime without hesitation. My son has played golf on lots of golf courses around the UK and Europe ever since he was 5-years old and he told me after our round that he thought Cardrona was the best course he has ever played. I've got to say that I concur as I certainly haven't played on many that are better!

"Much improved bunkers"

u434020581's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2017

Since playing last year, there has been a massive amount of work done on the bunkers.

Greens ran at a good pace, with nice lines.

The fairways near the river were very wet, but there had been a lot of heavy rain in the days preceding our round.

Look forward to playing again.

nick7stewart's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2017

"Cardrona in the rain"

Beavemunk's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2017

First time at Cardrona and enjoyed my round. Maybe not one for the short hitters, good layout and relatively flat. A few areas starting to cut up due to the very wet summer we have had but no real issues with play. Many bunkers in play and par threes are long at the 170 - 200 yard range. Course not to punishing and good shots are rewarded. Would play again but maybe need to be at the height of summer to see the course at its best.

"Tired"

boblawrie's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017
Walked Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Nice course but devoid of decent signage. Maybe it is the end of summer but the place and staff had an air of 'fed up' ..... the undiscounted cost of a round would be poor value.

"Same old customer service"

t1077123144's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017
Previously played Walked Wet weather

Played here again after a poor experience a few weeks ago and sad to say nothing has changed. Staff from Club Pro/shopkeeper to everyone else we encountered were miserable, no smiles, no welcome, no customer service.

I didn't deal with the guy in the golf shop but was told on asking my playing companions he was dour and unhelpful.

The course is poorly signposted, a couple of holes offer a choice of path some of which lead to cycle paths or walkways for hikers.

Lack of litter bins on the course and large amount of un-repaired divots.

Had a drink and snack after round and a similar level of customer service.

Get your act together Cardrona.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017

"First play"

Mclennanone's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2017

We travelled over hr to play and wasn't disappointed just wished the sun came out would recommend buggy though as some holes spaced out I really enjoyed and will play again well worth the money

"Good track, will definitely play again"

anderson000001's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Nice course, staff friendly and welcoming. Nice layout, great scenery.

"Staff unfriendly and unhelpful, course in good condition"

t1077123144's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

On arrival we were met with lack of signposts to tell us where golf shop/reception was. We asked a staff member who was fairly unfriendly but he was outdone by the golf pro/shopkeeper who barely acknowledged us and never once raised a smile or offered anything approaching helpfulness. Clearly not a people person.

Once outside we were again left wondering where to go to the first tee, lack of signposts.

The course itself was in good condition but there are very few signs letting you know where the next tee is.

Groundstaff clearly not golfers as they surrounded our green on stroke index 1 hole as I putted for birdie, raking the bunker in my line of sight and moving about, I made par.

On leaving same golf pro/shopkeeper gave us no acknowledgement at all as we parked and emptied our buggy, experience alsmot ruined by him if it wasn't for the condition and layout of course. Would never pay more than the £12 we paid.

"A real treat"

t801920695's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2017

Excellent course, very challenging and provides a real test for good golfers. 3rd time of playing, will be back for a 4th time soon.

"Very Enjoyable/Nice Course"

JimWalkinshaw's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

Played this course recently and really enjoyed it. Played on a nice day so that helps..Reported to the little golf shop,paid our £12 Hotdeal and walked straight on.Long course off the back Tees,fairways good ,greens good,generally could not fault it.I have played a lot of courses in the area and I think this is good as any.I will certainly return ..I dont usually comment on staff etc,as I go to play the course,but if you need to know,they were good.......

"Lovely setting"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2017

Played this course for the first time and have to say I really did enjoy it. Very hard but fair challenge, if you make errors you will get punished but also good shots get there reward. Greens didn't look the best but played well and ran nice ball didn't bubble or that. Would highly recommend booking a buggy wouldn't consider playing the course without one and I normally carry my clubs. Lots of sand on the course but not all actually come into play. Beautiful scenery and if you get the right weather you will struggle not to enjoy your day.

"Poor"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

I have never felt so unwelcome at a golf course. I was made to feel like an inconvenience by the most unfriendly pro I've ever met. I have no intention of returning to Cardrona on this basis which is a shame as I do like the course. The course itself is in poor condition, which at this time of year is remarkable. As someone who works locally in golf, I see this a terrible advert for golf in Scotland. Shame on you Cardrona.

"Could be a fantastic golf course/facilities"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2017

Played here several times and stayed overnight at the hotel. The greens at this course have always been poor for this time of year. Hollow tining holes still visible on most greens and they are slow. Fairways are not in good condition with some bare lies experienced on several occasions. If this was my home club and I was paying good money on membership I would not be happy. This happens year after year. Went to Spikes bar before play for a coffee and a roll to find bar closed. Had to go inside hotel to get this, more expensive than the bar. Finished the round and there were about 25 to 30 people sitting outside the bar in glorious sunshine but bar still closed. Had to take off golf shoes, go inside hotel to order a drink ( more expensive than the bar ) and then shoes back on and return outside where my wife was sitting with the golf clubs. Poor show from Macdonald golf hotels as this could be a gold mine if people in charge had an understanding in golf and people skills.

"This course is long and challenging."

t592553650's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

Fairways and greens were in very good condition and the pace of play was good. We let one couple on buggies through to avoid hold ups. I didn't play particularly well and if you make basic errors you pay for it on this fair but demanding course. Get a some dry, bright weather as we did and you will have a great day. If you do plan to play here watch out for the inconsistent pricing by the hotel. I was staying overnight but still got a better deal on a tee off website.

"Bad Dog Walkers"

t1196924109's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

We have played Cardrona many times and thoroughly enjoy the challenges.

However this time things were spoiled slightly by the number of dog walkers blindly walking across the fairways.

Also you have to be careful if you go in the rough or beyond to look for your ball as there is a lot o fdog mess that has not been picked up..

"Improving conditions - good track"

t1746611741's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Cardrona is a long course and fair walks between holes but for this it is also an excellent challenge of golf which can't fail to improve your long game.

I play here quite regularly and whilst it was very boggy in winter between holes the fairways hold up well, with the dryness the fairways are now excellent. Fresh sand has been added in all bunkers and now it's just the greens that need to improve. They are currently inconsistent from a pace perspective, generally very slow but the odd one tricks you. Once all are consistent the course will be excellent.

Overall good track well worth a hit and very quiet during the week to nip round.

"Excellent day"

Dodheid's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

For a course with a reputation for being wet, it felt like hitting balls on the M8! Well done to the greens staff for keeping greens in pretty good condition in this extraordinary spring. This is a terrific layout and we thoroughly enjoyed our round. My only criticism is that the red tees are not very far short of the yellows: my wife has only been playing for a couple of years and found many holes quite long.