McCormick Woods Golf Course

Since opening in 1987, McCormick Woods Golf Club has garnered titles including "Best Course" and "Most Enjoyable Course" by Golf Digest and Golfweek. It is one of only 10 courses in the state of Washington that are Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuaries. The stunning layout features natural lakes hidden among beautiful fir and cedar trees. Don't let the scenery distract you though, it's one of the most difficult golf courses in the area. There are significant elevation changes throughout and you'll have to face the occasional blind shot. Though the golf course is challenging, there are five sets of tees so players of all skill levels can play to their abilities. McCormick Woods Golf Club also has a practice facility with a driving range, two putting greens, and an area devoted to chipping, pitching, and bunker play.
Green (W) 72 5758 yards 74.0 134
Scorecard for McCormick Woods
Black M: 74.3/134 398 535 427 235 398 445 142 383 575 3538 443 217 350 502 402 432 431 219 506 3502 7040
Blue M: 73.2/131 386 515 411 225 375 405 138 355 525 3335 414 198 342 483 389 401 411 194 491 3323 6658
White M: 70.7/124 W: 76.3/139 363 475 390 158 351 378 122 315 488 3040 386 184 329 458 363 367 386 175 477 3125 6165
Green M: 69.2/118 W: 74.0/134 357 405 388 144 337 360 116 290 454 2851 357 157 316 431 345 340 370 143 448 2907 5758
Red W: 71.6/124 320 385 353 117 295 349 100 268 427 2614 333 101 288 414 324 327 359 122 417 2685 5299

Year Built 1987
Architect Jack Frei

Great layout

The sound of a course surrounded by trees and houses might make the average golfer a bit timid, but the layout gives a person plenty of room for mistakes. The only complaints are some of the regular players at the the course have no respect for the game of golf. Timing is everything. All in all this was a very nice course to play

Alberta Advisor

McCormick Woods GC

There are plenty of good courses to choose from in & around the Pacific Northwest & playing McCormick Woods would be a pretty good choice. Plenty of scenic views, fairways that are nicely routed through imposing fir & cedars, numerous small ponds & streams that add to the views but shouldn't really come into play & well placed bunkers. The greens are fairly generous in size & roll out nicely. The course offers 5 tee boxes for every level of golfer.

Wet but beautiful.

Course was very wet. Drives plugged in a few of the fairways. No roll in others. Greens were in great shape. Would love to play this course again when it under dryer conditions. Lots of wildlife to look at during round. Walked the course. Very long walk. Some t boxes were quite far from preceding greens.

Great atmosphere!

What a hike!

I've been wanting to play this course for quite a while now. Finally had my chance and it was just okay. I would come back, but not at the top of my list. The course hardly ever offers green fees with a cart included on golf now. My buddy and I decided to walk it. Wow, what a work out! Be prepared if you don't normally walk because it's a hike you'll remember. The tee boxes are not near eachother. It was soggy and muddy because of the consistent rain in Washington state (GO figure). Anyway, I would like to see coolers of water added along the course. There were two water fountains that looked too scary to drink out of. My first experience playing this course would have probably been better during the summer.

Awesome course but groups of walking Novice players in front of experienced players in power carts slowed the pace of play.

good not great course

a nice layout but the houses take away from the ambience.

Beautiful example of PNW golf!

Awesome course with plush fairways where you ball sits up. Fairways were fairly forgiving (wide) and the greens were challenging but rolled beautifully. It was my first round there but not my last!

A great day of golf!

I play McCormick Woods often and the course conditions are always excellent. I played Gold Mountain the day before and McCormick's greens were better hands down. The course is challenging and the pace of play reflects that especially on nice weekend days but I don't find it normally to be slow. The pro shop staff has often gone out of their way to get us out golfing. If you live in the area and haven't played here you are missing out!

pace of play was ridiculous

I've been looking for a course to play in the Tacoma area since I moved back in August. I'm a low-handicap player so I'd like to find a place where i can find a game on a challenging course. I remember McCormick Woods being a good track from previous experience--however the pace of play was horrific--five hours on a hot day. The marshall that drove around just shrugged it off as 'we have a lot of people out here today'. My search continues......

Be very cautious using Golf Now here!

I made a weekday afternoon time here two consecutive weeks. The first time they moved us back 10 minutes to fit their schedule. We asked to go early the tee was empty for 30 minutes, they said no, you must wait for your tee time they scheduled. ( 10 minutes later than the golf now tee time, I supposedly reserved.)

The next week they moved us up 25 minutes with no notice. My partner had not even arrived yet. They didn't even tell me this when I checked in. They just called us to the tee!

IF you use golf now, call the course and confirm your time. They have their own schedule and it's not the one you see on Golf NOW. I will not spend another dime here!

McCormick Woods Revisited

I have not played McCormick Woods in about three years. I only live 40 minutes away but it had slipped off my golfing radar! (I belong to a golf club but play other courses on a regular basis.)

The course is a very interesting layout and offers multiple tees to accommodate a variety of playing levels. The course was in very good shape and the greens were fast. They have removed many trees and the course had a much more "open" feel than I remember.

We were a walking threesome and finished in just over 4 hours. We had a great time and will be back soon!

Very challenging golf course

d

Don't try to hit it down the middle on 16' it may roll into hazard.

Good Course--Poor Management

Our foursome enjoyed the course but had some concerns about management decisions. Following our foursome there were 3 singles and a two some. We allowed singles to play through but then realized we would never finish our round by doing this. A call to the pro shop produced no help.

It was a busy hot Friday. No beverage cart and no water on the course. It was sad to see what was once a first rate course has dropped to second tier. Back to Gold Mountain today.

Too many trees taken out.....

The lay-out is the same as ever - challenging and all. But in my opinion, they removed way too many trees.......it's just not the same McCormick as it used to be (and not in a good way)

This course compares well to the best resort courses that I have played. The condition was excellent. Midweek price was a steal.

Tough Greens

I scored horribly but had an awesome time. Some of the greens are extremely difficult if you don't land just right.

Nice Condition

This course was in very nice condition. Greens smooth and tee to green well maintained. Native fescue grass gives a post card type view. Tree removal has made improvements to turf. Great practice areas. Nice bar to visit after golf.

Beautiful well kept course

First time playing Mcormick Woods, I will definitely be going back!

Good overall

Good overall. A little pricy almost $75 with a cart for 1 person

Great conditions from tee to green. Lots of fun to play!!

I took my kids and a friend out to McCormick Woods last week and I was amazed at the condition of the turf from tee to green. The fairways were lush, greens were very smooth and probably 10+ on the speed meter - perfect for rolling putts, really fun to putt for me and my kids!!

The staff was very friendly. Even the course maintenance workers stopped and greeted us and asked if we were enjoying ourselves!!! My daughter left her wedge on one of the holes and the superintendent, Paul, stopped what he was doing and drove back to get it for us!!! He told me about the renovations they've gone through with strategic tree removal and how it's improved the turf conditions. Very friendly, I was glad he took time from his work to make us feel welcomed.

Sherry in the golf shop was also very friendly and helpful. Great customer service!!

We saw at least a dozen deer. Had a great meal in the restaurant after (highly recommend the mac n cheese!!). What a great deal for kids, too! They have a good junior rate!

It was a great walk - we are adding this to our list of regular stops!!

3.2030058824