Opened in 1925, Discovery Bay Golf Club, formerly known as Chevy Chase Port Townsend Golf Course, has the distinction of being the oldest public golf course in Washington. Besides its long history, it has also garnered acclaim as one of the best golf courses on the Olympic Peninsula. Situated on the shores of Discovery Bay, the layout enjoys panoramic mountain views spanning the Olympic and Cascade mountain ranges. There is more to the course than scenery though. The classic design is challenging enough to appeal to low handicappers while still being accessible for beginners. The course's back nine is more challenging than the front, featuring challenging elevation changes and some tricky lies. Be sure to bring your camera for the breathtaking view on Discovery Bay Golf Club's 10th tee.

Discovery Bay Golf Club

Year Built 1925
Architect Michael Asmundson

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Clubhouse

Fun course

Had a great time. Course well maintained, friendly staff and excellent pace.

Customer Service Nightmare

Let me preface this review by saying that I'm a firm believer in the fact that sometimes you just get what you pay for. While I'll splurge on an occasional round, I'm generally someone who tries to golf on a budget--and rarely find myself spending more than $30-40/round.

I had never played at this course before and decided to read reviews and course descriptions on the GolfNow app. According to GolfNow's description, the fee for golf included a cart. When I saw a $10 hot deal I couldn't resist--even though I knew it would be a gold morning round.

I showed up and was disappointed to learn that there was a 1.5 hour frost delay. That's life--and winter. At some point during my muttering around I inquired about checking in for my round. I was asked if I was walking or riding. I told him I'd ride because the website said it was included. He told me it wasn't. I showed him where on the GolfNow app it explained that a cart was included for rounds played at this course. He seemed genuinely surprised, but ultimately told me I'd have to take this up with GolfNow. I threw up my hands and let him know I'd be grabbing my push cart--all the way questioning the customer service element of this conversation. He then offered me some coffee or hot chocolate while I wait for the frost delay. I thought this might have been a redeeming olive branch--until he stopped me at the turn and told me he had forgotten to get me for the drink ($1).

I suppose this could be seen from different perspectives. Perhaps every penny counts when you're only getting a few golfers a day during a colder/wetter time of the season. I'd understand if I was a jerk trying to take advantage of the system, but I don't think I was. If anything, I felt like a cart would have been a fair value against the service I provided to them (pointing out the discrepancy on the GolfNow website). Unfortunately, it wasn't seen that way.

Given the frost delay--and the walking--I only had time to play about 12 holes. Front 9 was pretty wet and muddy--and flat. My brief experience on the back 9 seemed to show a big difference in course design (I understand the nines were designed about 70 years apart). Back nine reminded me more of a mountain course with better greens and fairways. It would've been nice to play the rest, but my hall pass had expired.

Honestly, I've played over 100 difference courses--mostly in the NW. Great courses and crappy courses. Expensive courses and cheap. However, I've never left a course feeling the way I did after the service debacle at this place. Just sad.

Well Done to Discovery Bay Golf Course

The greens keeper and staff of Discovery Bay deserve a sincere WELL DONE for an outstanding job they are doing bringing this 1920’s vintage course up to higher standards!

My wife and I played DB yesterday and we were SO IMPRESSED with the OUTSTANDING quality of the greens and fairways that we returned for another round today. It is absolutely apparent and nothing short of impressive the amount of hard work, dedication and care going onto the maintenance of this course over the past few years but especially this year.

I have been playing DB in my course rotation for 20 years, going back to the days of teeing off on #2 from the tree fort tee box (you can still see it from the 1st green). It is a charming, quaint track that is fun to play and offers challenge to golf friends, family, new golfers and experienced ones alike.

Admittedly, the course has gone through its ups and downs over the years. But BY FAR DB IS IN THE BEST PLAYABILITY SHAPE NOW THAN I HAVE EXPERIENCED IN 20 YEARS!

Again, Kudos to the staff and Pro Jeff who are making great strides bringing DB course back to standards especially greens, fairways, drainage and irrigation.

Living in Kitsap I regularly play many of the peninsula courses from Sequim to North Tacoma in addition to golf trips out of state. DB greens this weekend played as good or in many cases BETTER than any other peninsula competitor course hands down.

Also, special thanks to DB staff who now provide many tee box choices at DB. I am happy to see many of these being used by more and more golfers which allow fun and success for golfers of varied skill levels.

Sorry, about the gushing above but it is well deserved and DB efforts should be recognized. DB has a place in the peninsula golfing community especially as it continues to blossom. DB provides the perfect opportunity for young, old, experienced and new golfers to learn or more importantly to just enjoy the game in a natural, low golf pressure setting.

shame on the architect

Shame on the architect for buying land and building cart golf. The back 9 is relatively new and built on extreme land that is not conducive to walk. Shame on the architect for teaching the good people of Port Townsend that golfing should be done in carts.

Shame on the architect for modifying master A. V. Macan's design of the front nine. Asmundson is not nearly as capable an architect as Macan.

Shame on the groundskeeping staff for overwatering part of the course. I actually overheard one member of the staff chewing out another for overwatering on the back nine, and when I got there he was right. Given that this course is in a relatively cool climate near the sea, there should be no excuse for overwatering.

If I return to this course, I will limit my play to the front nine, because it is a nice walk, whereas the back nine is a real pain without a cart.

Nice track

Discovery Bay GC is in very good condition with nicely manicured greens and fairways. Recommend a riding cart, especially for the back nine which has some significant steepness.
Enjoyed the course and scenery and we will play it again!

Great place to play!

Discovery Bay is fun and challenging. The course is in great condition. The greens are true and the ball lands softly. The traps are well trimmed and the sand is solid, yet allows the club to slide through.
My only knock on the course are the cart paths.They are gravel and could use some smoothing. Going from 12 to 13 is a steep hill. The path is rough and it is nearly impossible to keep from sliding down the hill.
I recommend you play Discovery Bay. It’s well worth the money.

Fun Well Maintained Course

The Discovery Bay Golf Course is an entertaining well maintained golf course in a beautiful natural setting. The fairways and the greens were in excellent shape. Enjoyed playing this course and will do it again.

Hidden Gem on the Peninsula...

Great round. Snagged a "Hot Deal" solo round booking a day before in my email inbox. $14 for 18 holes walking... forget booking this course walking unless you play the original front 9. It would annihilate a marathon runner humping the back 9. Added the cart for 16 so ended up being a great value considering the 11:30 tee time. The course is in fantastic condition at the moment, best I have ever seen it. It played very well, greens were quite slick. There was literally no pressure, nobody 3 holes ahead or behind me. This allowed for a relaxing round.

Great time

We had a great time. The course is in great condition.

Great Value

I enjoy playing this course. It’s quite long and hilly, and the back nine has many sloping fairways, but the scenery is beautiful and the pace of play is excellent.

Good condition for November

This is a long, hilly course with lots of trees and bushes lining the fairways. I thought the course was in surprisingly good condition for this time of year. The greens were clean and relatively fast and the fairways were mowed. My golf towel was quite muddy after 18 holes but that’s to be expected.

Wilderness Course

I enjoy this course, though it’s long and hilly and there are many places where an out-of-bounds ball is gone forever. If you enjoy long walks in the woods, this is the course for you. They have nice new carts available, but if you walk all 18 holes, that alone will make you feel like you’ve accomplished something. The amenities are not quite “country club,” but the friendly “down home” atmosphere fits the area very well.

Disco Bay equals nice day.

Always enjoy Disco Bay. Great greens, views, and they allow dogs.

Natural wonder

Early tee time with the wife and our Boston Terrier .
Jeff the course pro was relaxed and hospitable as usual
Had the course practically to ourselves
Deer with fawns and varied bird life all around this well maintained course. Weather was perfect and conditions dry
as it can be wet here
Love it and it's close to home
Cheers

Great value

My wife and I played here on Sunday and it was really great. We were the 7:20 tee time so there were very few others in the course. The greens are in pretty good shape and the course is too.
For $15 each (walking) it was well worth the money.
The views are amazing on the back 9.
Full price is hard to swallow but the hot deals make this a great value.

Arizona Advisor

Enjoyed the heck out of this course

I had played another course on the peninsula and threw this in as an afterthought for the next morning and I am very glad I did. Lots of challenging holes and the greens were in very good shape. Back nine (up on the hill) was some work to walk but very doable. This course doesn't get as much play as it deserves. It is not fancy but it is very worth your time if you are in the area doing White Horse or Port Ludlow. The staff was great.

Five sets of tees.

Played the course in the evening and it was beautiful. The greens were still very fast even though it had been 12 hours since they were mowed. Fairways were like carpets. Five sets of tees allows you to pick a course that plays from 4000 to 6600 yards.

Port Townsend, Washington