View of the 3rd green at Deer Park Golf and Country Club

Type
Slope N/A
Rating N/A

Deer Park Golf and Country Club, considered among Central Scotland's top golf courses, offers a 6,727-yard course that has hosted British Open Qualifiers as well as the Scottish PGA Championship. Facilities include range, putting green, pro shop, showers, locker rooms. Deer Park has earned its rep in the Scottish golf world.

Deer Park Golf and Country Club spans natural parkland. It's a relatively new golf course despite its honors. Peter Allis, Dave Thomas and Peter Clark designed it in 1978. It quickly ascended the Scottish ranks, especially when compared to the century-plus-old courses that fill Scotland.

Deer Park Golf and Country Club offers a whole day's activities, with a health-and-fitness center, 10-pin bowling, bars and restaurants - even weddings, if you want to fit one in between rounds.

Deer Park Golf & Country Club
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1978
Architect Dave Thomas (1978) Peter Alliss (1978)

Golf Simulator Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Delta, Mastercard, Maestro, Switch

Bar, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Plays Once a year

Lovely course

Really nice course, we went after a couple of rainy days so there were 14 winter greens in play which was the only disappointment for us. Course was in really good condition other than the greens being very wet so probably best to play during the summer.

Hopeful for a rain check

Arrived at course staff extremely welcoming, was told when we arrived that it was winter greens. So was a bit annoyed but no one’s fault but the weather. Not played here for about 10 + years but I love the layout and the course. Fairways were spot on, tees and winter greens a bit iffy but didn’t stop us having a great day. Staff in pro shop took my email address and said he would sort something for us because of the winter green debacle ( haven’t received any communication yet) but still hopeful. Anyway I will be back in better weather and if I lived closer I would look to get a membership , for £65 per month it’s a far better course than loads more expensive memberships within Edinburgh and Glasgow

Slow play addressing?

Went out as a 2 ball which took over four and a half hours, basically spending 5-10 minutes on each tee box waiting on a couple of 4 balls in front, who it's fair to say were not regular golfers. I have nothing against this but you can't be hitting multiple balls and spending excessive times looking for balls. It all led to a bottleneck and there were multiple parties behind us being stacked on tee boxes forcing golfers to find other holes or call it a day. It really took the enjoyment away from the golf and the course as we were unable to get any sort of momentum going throughout the round. I would be very surprised if we were the only ones who gave a negative review or complained to the clubhouse staff.

Deer Park

Really pleased with the deal we managed to get in green fees. I’m a 7 handicap golfer and really enjoyed the fact that Deer Park is longer than most parkland courses you can pay and play. Fairways and greens were in good condition. Rough was a bit harsh in places.

Course review

Course was in great condition considering the weather and most of the greens were on, staff were great but course layout needs to be better the course needs clearer signage from 1 hole to the next other than that me and my brother had a great time thanks.

Lovely Course

Deer Park has some great holes and gives a good test. Lady in the pro shop was very friendly. On the day the course was wet, few balls plugged on fairways and greens a bit slower but after a week of torrential rain I wouldn't mark it down. Will play again.

Course in great condition

Course in great condition, greens are excellent. Can't think of anything negative. Price was a little more than expected.

Well groomed course

Beautiful well laid out course. Nicely manicured greens which made it fun to play on.

Gem of a course

First time at this course. Always wanted to play it and although my skills with the clubs are not the best and still a work in progress I really enjoyed my round. Nice variety of holes from a fairly flat opening nine to the more challenging back 9. Some really cracking views all round the course with some nice views looking over towards Edinburgh on holes 14 and 15. My favourite hole was the 13th. Blind tee off with a dogleg to the right over the crest of a hill. Staff were welcoming and helpful. Felt welcomed even though I was just visiting. Would recommend to anyone who loves the game to check this course out. You won’t regret it.

Great value

Had played the course many years ago, was surprised just how good a layout it was and will definitely be back to play it again. The greens had been cored which meant they were a little bumpy but to be expected for the time of year. Staff at the pro shop were very friendly and helpful. Overall great value for the money.

Arrogant member

Played this course yesterday great course and very friendly staff.. Can't speak of all member's but one member confronted us as we were playing up the eleventh and accused us of starting at the 10th tee which was not the case very arrogant and downright cheeky no wonder golf clubs struggle to attract new members when u have clowns like him!

This is a must play course

Played a two ball with a 7.30 am start. Course in great condition with very consistent greens. A good all round test of your golf with wide well kept fairways with well placed bunkers and a stream to navigate. Some long par three holes that make you think. Excellent value all round. We particularly enjoyed the ability to order a roll and drink on the eighth to collect on the way past to the tenth. The lady on the reception was very helpful and welcoming, even at that time in the morning. Do not miss this course it is a great experience.

Commented on 08/28/2018

Thank you for your review and kind remarks about your recent experience at Deer Park. We agree the course has been great all year and would be delighted to welcome you back!

Flat front, hilly back

Front 9 is fairly flat and with the hot, dry weather the fairways were cracked and the burns dry but the greens were in great condition. Enjoyed the back 9 more than the front as some of the holes played blind and were more challenging, plus the fairways and greens were pretty lush. Views from the top holes were great and the climb up was good exercise! Bunkers have good placement and managed to catch our drives and approach shots on a regular basis - only negative is that the bunkers don’t have good sand in them, just dusty, dirty sand with lots of stones. Pro shop was well stocked and staff friendly and welcoming. The course borders on houses and parkland. Worth a visit at a good price.

Ideal for intermediate golfers

Considering the very dry spell of late the course was in a fantastic condition.

The greens were immaculate, and very fast.

Overall a very pleasant experience, and great value for money.

Commented on 06/29/2018

Thank you for your kind remarks after your recent visit to Deer Park. The course has been in great condition all year and hopefully look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thanks again, Iain

Dissapointing

Played in Oct so have taken time of year into account for review. Paid discount rate (£14). Day was utterly spoiled by green staff dressing the greens with sand resulting in winter greens being played. Totally accept that we had bad luck in that regard but nothing on their website to indicate this was going to happen. My impression is that this course is an after thought in favour of the country club / leisure facilities rather than the 'championship course experience advertised. Sometimes it's the small things us golfers notice like bunkers not having a rake or excessive divets not being replaced by members. My crops for that day was being charged £14 to play winter greens on a course that appears to trade on its name rather than general course condition. (I've also played the course during the summer and it wasn't much better). Staff were very friendly. Course layout for front 9 is straight forward and passable. Back 9 has more interest. Won't be playing this course again and sorry to say that i cant recommend this to others.

Commented on 11/02/2017

Good Afternoon, I am of course disappointed to hear your experience at Deer Park wasn't an enjoyable one, I can confirm we update our website daily with the status of our course especially over the winter months. I believe bad timing has been an issue with our winter programme on starting a week previously. We have had great feedback on all course all year as you can see with below comments and of course would like you and your playing partners to have the same experience, please contact me on istoddart@muir-group.co.uk.

When courses go bad

No scorecard or update on course offered by pro shop. Some greens were covered in sand and you could barely putt, some were spiked and terrible, most were winters. No mens tee markers just play off the womens or boys? The condition of the course was very poor and it seems the standard of management has of the course has gone downhill dramatically. In the end it was a case of walking off. Total waste of money. Won't be back.

Commented on 11/02/2017

Hi Ronald, we are sorry to hear your experience with us at Deer Park was not an enjoyable one. Unfortunately our winter programme had begun the week previously which included our annual coring work on our greens and moved the tees up to reduce course length in heavier conditions. Of course this isn't the experience we want our visitors to have and unfortunately bad timing has played a part here. Please email myself direct on istoddart@muir-group.co.uk and I will be more than happy to invite you back.

Uphall, West Lothian