Lakeview Golf Resort & Spa - Mountainview
|Red (W)||72||5385 yards||70.8||118|
|Blue M: 70.5/127||387||380||514||183||332||161||328||367||505||3157||387||310||529||391||149||369||406||200||549||3290||6447|
|White M: 69.1/124||367||374||488||159||324||131||314||354||487||2998||378||296||493||389||141||344||389||186||538||3154||6152|
|Gold M: 67.6/121||345||352||458||151||308||125||309||345||392||2785||338||266||483||379||130||344||386||166||515||3007||5792|
|Red W: 70.8/118||322||344||416||135||297||97||300||305||392||2608||323||266||443||289||112||328||335||166||515||2777||5385|
Hope the new ownership brings changes
This could be a nice course and could certainly be a great value. It currently has a few major issues, though, and I hope the new ownership will address them:
(1) There are a couple of really good staff members, especially a young guy who is very attentive with carts, etc., but there are at least a couple of older staff members who pay almost no attention to customers and are slow as molasses. When they are working together, they will converse with each other for ten minutes before even acknowledging that a customer has entered the clubhouse, and when they do finally say hello, they aren't overly pleasant. I hate to bring it up, but I've experienced it on multiple occasions. There have also been times when no staff were in the clubhouse for extended periods.
(2) The computer/internet reservation and payment system needs to be fixed. Over the last two seasons, it was not working properly during more than half the rounds that I played. Either it was insanely slow or not working at all.
(3) As many others have mentioned, the bunkers are a disaster. They are usually rock hard and half-filled with water. If they are not going to be maintained, they should be PROPERLY filled in.
(4) There are an awful lot of rocky/hard-pan areas on some holes that aren't design features.
(5) The rough is often allowed to get way out of hand, which is especially problematic on the several holes with severe cross slopes. I imagine it's difficult to mow those slopes when it's at all wet, but at times it makes for a course that is more near-impossible and extremely frustrating than difficult but enjoyable. This is especially true give than one can hit the right side of several fairways on the fly and still end up in the rough to the left of those fairways.
(6) Trying to putt on the 12th green is just kind of ridiculous.
(7) Some maintenance staff pay no attention to players, and even occasionally blare loud music when working on holes that people are teeing off on. This seems like a simple issue of training. I think these are hard working folks who just haven't been shown how to act on a golf course.
(8) Lakeview needs to more clearly distinguish between the Lakeview Course and the Mountainview Course online. The main Google Map entry for Mountainview places it at the Lakeview course, and it's obviously nowhere near there. The address that comes up for Mountainview is usually 150 Lakeview Drive or 1 Lakeview Drive, depending on the website, whereas the Mountainview clubhouse is actually at (roughly) 4001 Greystone Drive, which is over two miles from there. This makes things really difficult for people playing Mountainview for the first time and for trying to meet up with people who haven't played Mountainview before.
(9) There are some major drainage problems on the first hole, but I do not think that's an easy fix at all and don't really blame the operators.
Hills and fast greens makes it challenging. Greens and fairways in good shape. In the process of filling in bunkers with grass.
Fun Mountain Course
Nice layout. Fun to play. Course was in very good shape. They are working on the sand traps. The sprinklers did not shut off while I played between 7-10. Greens were very wet from over watering.
I understand that if you’re not going to take care of the bunkers it leaves the course wanting but this course is just doing away with all of them. I remember when this was a very nice course really not anymore
Interesting mountain course
Lakeview Resort has comfortable lodging, many amenities and two courses. We booked a hot deal at the Mountainview course which is definitely set in the mountains. Course was in good condition though greens were slow as expected for such a course. Some challenging shots, a few blind ones but generally very fair for a mountain course.
The course itself is in great shape. The sand traps are crap but they have a plan to remove them to make grass bunkers. The cart paths resemble the roads of WV... pot holes everywhere!
Course in Great Shape
The tees, fairways, and greens are flush. The only complaint and why the rating is lower is because the cart paths resemble the WV roads and the sand traps are still crap. Fortunately, the head pro says they have a plan for them. I don't know when the plan is to be executed, but I'm glad to hear there's a plan.
They have destroyed a beautiful course.
This course in its prime was one most beautiful courses around. Most of the bunkers are so filled with grass and weeds, they are unplayable. The fairways are ok, but there are a lot of areas that are very wet. I have seen worse greens, but not many for any course over $30 a round. A fair price might be $15 for 18 with cart.
Hi, jpfazio. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us and we hope you'll give us another chance to see how great the course is looking currently.
Having played this Course, several years ago, I was disappointed to see how it had gone downhill. Let me say that the staff were friendly and accommodating , but the Course maintenance has suffered. The cart paths were a series of broken and pot-holed asphalt, the fairways had a patchwork look of repair attempts and the tee boxes were a mess. Fortunately, the $23 fee was appropriate, but it was still a disappointment. To see how it has deteriorated.
Cool layout, needs a few tweaks
I think this course has a lot of really well designed holes. However, the bunkers are in poor shape. Good value course for about $30. The greens in my opinion are too fast for the course...had some hole locations where balls would roll off the green when they should’ve stopped within a few feet of hole.
Better options available
The Course at the resort is great but the Mountain View course is like the bad little brother...Nice layout...Beautiful Homes, nice staff cannot make up for unfinished sand bunkers uncut rough that is too high for this type of course compared to others in the area..with some attention could be a nice track..
Course was in great shape. Sand bunkers are always the problem. Keep it out of them. Everything else beautiful. Not Crowded and a beautiful day. Very good value.
Course was in pretty good shape for it being early April in Morgantown. The greens were just punched so they were a little tough but overall I was very pleased with the course. The only negative I have is that there is no range. However, love the layout of the course...lots of fun par 5s and great variety of holes. Great value as it was less than $30 on a Sunday morning. Definitely the best course in the Morgantown area and I would definitely recommend to anyone in the area.
We have had significant rain lately, but the course was in fairly poor condition. Washed out bunkers everywhere and shaggy fairways.
Sprinklers on entire round..course overly saturated
This course reminded us of TPC at Myrtle Beach...the problem was we played TPC in a driving rainstorm...had the 1st tee time at 7am so pace of play wasn't a problem until we had to wait for the sprinklers...Sprinklers were on the entire round and this is after it had rained every day this week...the sprinklers created standing water everywhere including the greens fairways and tee boxes that all had inches of standing water on them...on numerous occasions the Sprinklers would start almost on top of us while we were hitting our shots and on one occasion started on the green while we were putting and shot water inside our cart ruining my buddies cell phone...if I knew we had the Sprinklers to deal with I wouldn't have bothered showering in the morning...we called the pro shop to complain and the girl working said would call the maintenance staff...but never did...when we stopped in after the round to complain she said she couldn't get a hold of them and there was nothing she could do...she obviously didn't care...we also told the kid working the carts as well and he didn't seem to care either...also they are no longer maintaining the sand traps and seem to be growing them out and they were treated as ground under repair...ive never been a huge fan of the layout here but the course always been in good shape now it seems like they don't care and they don't know how to treat customers either which means we won't be back unless changes are made..
We played on a Friday afternoon and it had rained all morning up until a few minutes before we started our round. The weather was great and the course was in pretty good condition. They need to either improve the sand traps or do away with them completely.
Course in great shape
The course is in great shape and staff very friendly.