Type Municipal
Mark Twain Golf Course
Scorecard for Mark Twain
Blue M: 73.6/135 399 416 470 173 564 395 158 392 449 3416 428 185 519 416 399 196 412 465 421 3441 6857
White M: 71.5/129 382 397 446 152 521 387 145 360 437 3227 401 165 502 406 388 182 390 449 387 3270 6497
Gold M: 66.3/121 W: 71.3/123 352 278 430 142 442 308 140 296 324 2712 321 160 482 280 311 165 300 440 357 2816 5528
Red M: 64.4/117 W: 69.4/119 302 272 344 140 440 295 116 276 322 2507 320 150 367 275 310 115 296 414 277 2524 5031

Year Built 1937
Architect Donald Ross (1937)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in New York (2016 #12)

Ed

Greens were very nice
Tough and very fast compared ri my greens in florida

Florida Golfer’s Point of View

I grew up in Elmira. I live in Orlando and play Central Florida 2x a week. I have played everything from PGA Tour stops (Bay Hill, Sawgrass, Doral, etc) to resort courses (Disney, Championsgate, etc) to neighborhood courses in Florida.

The classic layout of Mark Twain is phenomenal. For a city run course, the conditions are impeccable. I can honestly say I would rather play Mark Twain than the courses I listed above. This course was more than just bomb it around course — false front greens, high backside greens, sloping and pitching fairways, and well placed trees. The courses doesn’t rely on trickery to protect itself, the course uses positioning as its defense (go long on greens — no way you can get up and down, hit the wrong spot of the fairway — the slope will give you an unlevel stance, failure to shape your tee shot — trees to give an uncomfortable approach shot).

Positives of the course: great course conditions, well kept receptive and speedy greens, able to play in 2h45m (granted we were an 8am tee), challenging yet fair layout, and scenic views

Negatives of the course: the clubhouse is pretty dated and on the dirty side, minimal driving range, and some confusing locations on where to park the cart (this is designed to be a walking course).

If you want to play a great, hidden Donald Ross gem, this is a must play.

My home course, but not biased!

Absolutely great public course. Twain provides a Donald Ross design that truly brings a challenging, yet rewarding round for any player. Fast and professionally maintained greens and fairways reward the straight tee shot. Fantastic views as you work your way up and down the course. Jay and staff are always welcoming and ready to assist you with any of your needs. From the fully stocked, exceptional pro shop, to the "snack bar" that entirely puts snack bar to shame, you will not be disappointed.

Putting greens

If you watched this past weekends US open and how poor the putting conditions are... this is exactly what you'll get with Mark Twain.

Don't get me wrong the course itself is very nice. Something just has to be done about the putting greens.

The Mecca of the Southern Tier

I grew up in Elmira, so this Donald Ross course used to be a 20 minute drive for me. I now live 3 hours away, and anytime I go back home I have to play it. It will challenge every aspect of your game. I’ve played Ross’ famous Pinehurst #2, and Twain doesn’t pale in comparison.

P.S. Don’t be above the hole.

Well worth playing

A great layout. Maintenance is good, pace of play can be a little slow when your behind a walking foursome.

Great course that's fun to play

We got an excellent deal through a Golf Now hot deal. Fairways & greens are in excellent condition. My only complaint about the greens is the very large number of unrepaired ball marks. The regulars should take more pride in this gem of a course. Carts are new or nearly new with windshields & club rain covers. Staff are friendly & helpful. Pro shop is well stocked.

It was OK

In the middle of no where and I would not play again. Muck better values exist for $20pp rounds.

A great course...and they know it

I live about an hour east of Elmira, and make the trek to the area about 3 times a season to play Mark Twain, Soaring Eagles and Willowcreek. Mark Twain is always in fabulous shape and you really get what you pay for. The day we played was likely the last day of the season, and the course was loaded with people skipping work to take advantage of the great weather. We had to wait for more carts to come in, so we could play (yeah, THAT busy). Much to my chagrin, the guy in the pro shop advised me that our $25 hot rate didn't include a cart. Now that was a first for me and I'm a seasoned Golfnow user. It's also bs for a course built into the side of a mountain...particularly in mid November.

For a public course you cannot go wrong

I really enjoyed this golf course. It's the best in the Twin tiers NY area. The greens were great (other than other golfers not repairimg thier pitch marks.) The rough was great and fun to play out of. The fairways were also pretty amazing. Alot of bunkers that really come into play, and the bunkers were also in good condition. For a public course you can't get much better in the NY twin tiers area.

The Mecca

Twain is the Mecca of Southern Tier golf. If you're going to make the pilgrimage to the Southern Tier (which I don't recommend) make sure you stop at Twain. This Donald Ross design will test every facet of your game, and the course is always in great shape. I grew up 15 minutes away and anytime I come back to the area, I always stop at Twain.

Best Course In The Area By Far!

This course is the best course in the area. The value you get for what you pay is probably the greatest value I've ever gotten. This course is always in such great condition the value for what you pay is unbelievable. The fairways are always perfect and the greens are some of the best I've ever seen for a public course. The rough is generally not too thick so accuracy is not a major concern. The greens are some of the hardest I've ever putted on. The undulations and speed are just ridiculous on some holes. If you're above the whole just take the 3 putt and move on. If you can putt well here you can putt well anywhere. Overall a very challenging course once you get around the greens but the value for what you pay is the best I've ever seen. Must play!

Poor weather

rain,but great staff,condition

taking friend for firtst time,could easy use golf now rain canc,but did not.With pending rain and a tourney ending,they offered to get us out early,even comp a bucket of balls.Assistant pro was kind enough to not put us with anyone as friend was 2nd year golfer and she was nervous.was on a discounted amount. Course in good condition with all-summer dryness,but heavy rain last two days.

Very fair and enjoyable layout

I thoroughly enjoyed my round at Mark Twain, the conditions were very nice, fairways were lush, the rough was very manageable and then the defense of the course, the green complexes. They are very undulating on most holes but not too punishing the day we played after a good rain. I can imagine the greens could be set up to be very punishing but the speed was very fair and they held every approach shot. The trouble off the tee is very minimal and you can get away with an off day with the driver on most holes. For me the par 3's presented a challenge as all were relatively long and uphill so club up would be my advice. It's a course I wish I lived closer to (1.5 hour drive) as I could see myself really enjoying playing here over and over. Go Play!

Elmira, New York