Black at Bethpage State Park Golf Course

Carts: No

Championship 71 7468 yards 78.1 152
Regulation 71 6684 yards 74.0 145
Forward 71 6223 yards 77.8 150

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick walkers advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes thick rough   Great for patio dining drinks

"Awesome!"

DMackPowell's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

Was in NY for a company trip and had to get out. It’s ridiculous to try and book a tee time through the reservation system, unless you want to play late afternoon. But had my pro from my home club call and we got set up. The course was absolutely amazing and couldn’t have asked for better weather. My first time and would recommend a caddy as they know the layout of the course. The greens were slower than expected but rolled very true. A little steep in price, but seeing as how they’re having the 2019 PGA Championship there, guess it’s understandable. Would highly recommend and most definitely a bucket list course.

"A Masterpiece"

CaptWillard's avatar
Mississippi Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2017
First time playing Walked Cold weather

At the end of a physically and mentally draining round, I turned to my playing partners and reached out for a handshake. "Guys, this was fun," I said. They laughed. One asked, "Was it?"

But it was! Yes, it's a kick in the pants. But the Black course is the most architecturally sound course I've ever played. The layout is spectacular, the bunkering is breathtaking, and the greens are fair. The fairways aren't the biggest in the world, but they're big enough to get around on.

Everyone is familiar with the fact that this isn't the easiest course in the world to get on, but it's worth the headache. You will be talking about Bethpage Black for a long time. Make it happen.

"Best Municipal Course Anywhere"

JohnKMoore1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

Really incredible public golf course. The rate for New York residents makes this the best golf course for the money by a huge margin and even for out of state, the relative cost is excellent. The strength of this course is in the routing and flow of the design. The greens are very simple, without bold contouring. However, the strength of the rest of the course more than makes up for this. Holes 4, 5, and 12 are the best on the course. The 18th is often criticized because of the way tour professionals play the hole, but for the vast majority of golfers, it is a very strategic hole that will test a player right up to the final shot.

"The People's Course"

FromTheLeftSide's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

For all the golf courses on this rock in the Atlantic Ocean called Long Island, this is the best course anyone can play. Is Shinnecock Hills on LI? Yes. Can you play it? Good Luck. If you are lucky enough to know a member who will invite you, awesome. For the rest of us without $100k, the Southampton Police will be called if we go thru the gates. But not at BP Black. Bethpage is a state park in the NYS park system. Residents will pay anywhere from $39 to $75. Non-residents, and they are strict about proof of residency, will pay $78-$150. That's the bargain of the highest magnitude in terms of greens fees for a course that the PGA frequents every few years. They played the US Open on Black in 2002 and 2009, the Barclays in 2012 and 2016, will play the PGA Championship in 2019 and the Ryder Cup in 2024. Good luck trying to play Copperhead or TPC Sawgrass (yes I have played them) for less than $250 at any time of the year. If you are looking for the greatest challenge at a reasonable price, it doesn't get much better than this. And when you do, get your "money's worth"...play from the tips, that's the real challenge. That is the secret about BP Black. While other courses you can get on will let you ride in a cart, "The People's Country Club" is walking only all the time.

"Just awesome!"

luvgolfing56's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

I showed up as a single at 8:30 am, teed off at 9:45 am. The course was in absolutely perfect condition! About 4.5 hours to play 18 holes, reasonable time considering the challenging walk.

An unforgettable experience, worth the extra money paid because I'm out of state.

"Full Tee Sheet Service"

u2041174's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2017
First time playing Walked Wet weather

Our foursome made the trek from Baltimore to Long Island to play the Black Course this past Friday. Two of the members of our foursome have single digit handicaps and have been playing golf for more than 25 years. We have never experienced the level of indifference, rudeness and overall absence of professional customer service. The course was hit with severe thunderstorms throughout our round which forced us (and other golfers) to take cover in course gazebos for safety and cover. We stayed in one for approximately 35 minutes and another for almost an hour waiting for the storms to pass. When the storms finally passed we attempted to continue playing. At that time a gentlemen came out in a cart to inform us the course was closed and we had to vacate and drove off (not offering a ride or even directions to the clubhouse). Of course we were at the farthest point from the clubhouse you could possibly be and being unfamiliar with the course we walked a serpentine path back which took us another 30 minutes. Finally when we asked for a rain check they told us we were "out there long enough to reach the 5th hole" which of course is the hole they use to decide if a rain check will be issued. As a native of Long Island I warned my group on the long walk in that we would likely receive the treatment we did. It is important to note that we would have finished out our round in the terrible conditions as we would likely not be back for a while but we were kicked off the course. The course is beautiful and would be an excellent experience on a nice day (maybe even a bad day) but you should know you will get treated commensurate to a place that has a full tee sheet every day and is getting $135 per round from out of state players.

"Exceptional Conditions"

ddotson2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

Bethpage Black lives up to its warning sign on the first tee; it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. Need to keep the ball in the fairway to make par or better. Conditions are absolutely perfect and live up to their US Open reputation. Only problem was the pace of play (5 and a half hours) but then again, is it really awful to spend a long day at Bethpage?

"Conditions"

Joseph9469455's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2017

Course was immaculate greens rolling true and fast

Fairways are perfect and rough is thick

Take a caddie and truly enjoy the experience

"Must play if you get the chance"

rgeorgetti3's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2016
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

If you are an out of state resident, it's not that easy to get a tee time at Bethpage Black. However, if you call enough times you will eventually get one. That said, the black course is a must play for anyone in the Northeast. For the price, you can't beat playing this major champion venue.

"Hard..."

CLaw1185's avatar
Hartford Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Going into, I knew it would be tough. I've heard all the stories and watched all the professional tournaments, specifically the two Opens played here, but actually walking the grounds and playing the holes, you don't really understand how difficult it can play until you experience it.

The first challenge is the walk. The undulations and elevation changes, specifically getting to/from the tee boxes was surprising. With the exception of hole #9 however, I wasn't faced with too many awkward lies.

I played really well, and was fortunate that I drove the ball well. I played from the white tees, which still measure at 6700 yards, but was fortunate to keep the ball in the fairway on most holes. The approach shots are intimidating and tough. There is no room for error. Hole #16 may be the only hole I can remember where you can run the ball on the green, but event that is a narrow gap. Most greens are elevated and guarded by massive and deep bunkers. Hole #16 and #18 are really the only holes where you can stand on the tee box and see the entire hole. If you miss a fairway, you have an extremely tough time holding a green. If you miss a green, you have an extremely tough time getting up/down. The only fair element of the course were the greens. Although they were small and tough to hold, there wasn't much slope or speed issues. A few holes have challenging pin placements, but they were not the most difficult element of the course.

All in all it's a great experience. It needs to be on every serious golfers' must play list. I was fortunate to play extremely well, and I look forward to getting a chance to play it again and moving back a tee box.

"A Beast of a Course! Public Golf Royalty"

LICC's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2016

This is one of the most memorable rounds you will ever play. Long holes, wide fairways, and monster bunker complexes around the greens. You start out with three good holes, then you step on the 4th tee and monster starts. Heroic design on lots of holes; long carry or layup decisions abound. Not difficult greens. Just a great course. I'll love watching the Ryder Cup played here.

"The best condition on the best course in the east USA"

JrGolferDom's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

My first time playing this course and it felt like I had played it a thousand times; my playing partner had actually played this course a thousand times. If this course is not already frustrating, imagine having the guy who just set the course record from the tips breathing down your neck. This guys frustrated with pars on par 3's and I'm glad when I get the same score. I had the most unique experience playing this courses or well, getting on it. The day before I was playing another fantastic course, Pound Ridge, when I began to talk to my playing partners about further into my vacation. They told me that sense the Barclas was going to start in a few weeks, tomorrow was th LAST DAY to play the black! My dad and I realized that there was no way to get on the course the last day to play it and plus we were from out of state. But then I remembered, all of the articles about sleeping in your car. Well that's what we did. Got there at about 10:00 and we were 7th in line looking to get a Sunday tee time. This is an ALL DAY AFFAIR to play this course. But anyway the 6th guy in line was who we ended up playing with. He told us that he does this 4 times a week. He walked us through the whole process, very un- New York like. The staff was very chipper for 4:30 am when you had to get your ticket for your tee time. Once we got to the desk we realized the we were definitely getting a tee time. We ended up getting a 8:45 time, a dream come true. We ate at a dinner just down the street from the park. Got back at 7:45. YOU MUST BE BACK AT THE LEAST AN HOUR BEFORE YOU TIME and even more if you need to get a caddie. The practice facilities are ok; the pull carts are good and worth the money. When walking up to the first tee you can feel the history of the course on you shoulders. You see that sign and you know your in for a heck of a round. The fence that the sign sits on is called the line of death by the black and green course starters. The first tee is pretty simple shot, but the small gallery that always gathers behind the tee makes the shot harder. I bombed one right down the middle leaving myself 142. But just when I thought I hit a great shot my playing partner absolutely smashed a ball over the trees on the right about 345. The seventeenth is a great par three and I hit my six iron about 180 just short of the green but just short of the green is a five foot deep bunker couldn't get up and down but saved a four. Number 18 is a pretty simple hole: just don't, no matter what, hit it in the BUNKERS. Well, that's exactly what I did. This course was so cool with all of the grand stands up. But anyway I hit my shot after a hack that played with us as well had already hit. I took my six iron again and hit it pure, I followed that ball with my squinting eyes just to hear a noise. BANG! My ball had flown directly over the green and under neath the grand stands after hitting them. I played my ball and ended up with a terrible double bogey. This course all around is one of the best in the world. Play it even if your visiting Pennsylvania it's worth the drive.

"Golf in its Purest Form!"

Duke2001j's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2016

I grew up on Long Island, but haven't lived there since HS, so I've only played the Black Course a handful of times since the remodel. But every time is a special experience. I just played last week during their preparation for the Barclays PGA event, and I've never seen the course in such great shape! Everything was in perfect condition.

This course should really be on the "must play" list for any serious golfer. It's easily in my personal top 3 that I've played - right next to Pebble Beach and Shinnecock Hills. Every hole/shot here is memorable. I can recall every shot I've ever hit here - every hole has its own personality. Even the different parts of the course have their own feel. Holes 10-12, 15/16 have somewhat of a links feel, while others are a more traditional parkland American golf feel. Every hole gives you options which is my #1 requirement for a great course. Granted it's VERY difficult and if you're a beginner, you should aspire to play here eventually. The minimum yardage is about 6300 from the forward tees, with some challenging forced carries, so it's a very hard course for juniors/ladies/seniors. But the way the course is laid out, you probably won't lose a ball unless you find one of the few water hazards or go REALLY far out of play on 4, 5, 6, 11 or 13.

The fact that everyone has to walk is really how golf was meant to be played, honestly and adds to the character. The only drawback is the long 5+ hour rounds, but it's a quick 5 hours because you're in golfing paradise! I played in 90+ degree heat, carried my own bag - even though I was exhausted by 14/15, I didn't mind. It's a real treat getting to play here. I could play here every day and never get tired of this course - it has that much character.

It's also not nearly as hard to get on as everyone thinks. If you walk up during the week, there's a very good chance you get on as a single. Anything more, you'll be playing late in the afternoon as a walk up, so make a tee time for sure. Maybe you'll get lucky and only pay the resident rate like I did as a former resident! But even for the $100-150 it's more than worth it to play this great track. Find a caddy if you can so that you can save some energy for those last few tough holes!

"Humbling track with no free bees"

Luckyshank's avatar
New York Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2016

Like title says, you have hit the ball and play real golf to enjoy this track. This day the ruff was high, fescue was in full bloom and was temperature was hot and humid. Tough conditions for just about anyone. A true bucket list course for all golf enthusiasts to play at least once. For the price (NY resident or not ) conditions are as good or better than almost all private country clubs.

"Best public course in New York"

inorv9's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2016
Previously played Walked Good weather

Best public course in New York. If you can play one course in the state, play this one! Prepare for a 5 hour round and a humbling experience.... that said, this is golf in its purest form.... Unforgettable!

"Worth the money"

PPPDCop62's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We play Bethpage Black once a year. In the past this course was always in great shape however this year it was phenomenal. Because the Barclay's is here in August , many bunkers were redone and several of the greens were re-configured. All the walking path's have been grassed over which is a vast improvement to the old dirt paths. The fescue was waist high, the rough was up to the ankle and the greens were pure as silk. This is a great course that is well worth the out of state rate of $150.

"The golf is very good but..."

Nlarkins's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I don't normally do this but I felt compelled to make people aware so they get the chance to maximise the experience.

The course is great. Conditioned well, good layout, nice elevation changes and visually appealing, however I did encounter some downsides.

First, take your own clubs if possible. I understand if you play early enough you may get another option, but after 1100 you are limited to a set of basic clubs. Considering you are playing a 7000+ yd course, you are already up against it. My set comprising of only 11 clubs (with no other options available) did not have a 3,4 or 5, iron. It did contain a 3 & 5 wood with a 5 hybrid however if you are a reasonibly long hitter as you need to be on this course, these regular shaft graphite clubs simply do not cut it. You are left with no way of reaching some of the par 4s because the is no significant difference between the 6 iron, the hybrid and 5 wood - This was my biggest problem.

Considering the number of caddies on the course it's a little disappointing to see so many bunkers with footprints and greens with pitch marks.

Arriving at the 1st tee it seemed to be a little disorganised. Having booked a caddie, I was moved up a tee time, then back to the original one, then up again. I was introduced to 3 different caddies because it appeared that they didn't have enough of them available. With regards to mine I'm afraid that he didn't really enhance the experience other than by carrying my clubs for me on a tough walk. Not once did he clean my ball, he raked 50% of my bunkers and more often than not handed me a driver then disappeared into the distance with no advice.

I did expect a slow round, but 6hrs! Not too much of a problem... No rush as I had all day.

My summary is that you must play this course BUT take your, own clubs if possible, buy a yardage chart and don't bother with a caddie and allow plenty of time.

"Legs still ache for my brother in law"

Paul6616611's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2016

My friend in Long Island was able to secure a tee time this past Sunday afternoon for me as we try to get together yearly . I took my 15 year old son and my brother in law with me this time as they were in for a test . A s we made our way to the tee box to play from the whites, the starter indicated that the NY State high school championships were just played in the morning. The tee boxes were all playing back to where the blues and blacks were , and on top of that, we had 30 mph winds going. Needless to say our scores weren't the best they could be, but we got a taste of how big a bite this course could take out of you!

My so loved the layout, and my brother in law is still soaking his legs from the hilly walk! He swears that next time he comes , he will be able to tackle the course!

What a great treat!

"the definition of difficult"

toothysaw2's avatar
Texas Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Excellent weather

finally got the chance to play the legendary bethpage black! let's start with the things you need to know:

1. the course is WALKING ONLY.<br/> 2. getting a tee time requires faxing and awkward telephone reservation systems.<br/> 3. it really is that hard!

once you are ready to play... this course will not disappoint you one bit. the state park setting is beautiful, and you will be able to take comfort in the beauty as you grind your way around this beast of a course.

the first tee is a lot of fun. there were many people hanging around waiting for their tee times, hoping to get slotted in, or just there to watch people tee off. definitely builds up the nerves!

right off the bat the course is tough with a long par 4 that has a 90 degree dogleg, that is pretty difficult to hit far enough to get a clear approach.

from then on you can expect super tight fairways, crazy thick rough, and bunkers... so many bunkers. fortunately, if you ever make it to the green, they are mostly pretty flat and roll very true.

almost every hole is marvelous to look at... i'd say 10-11 are the two most boring holes visually. there is a lot of elevation change, tricky but attractive bunkering, and lots of direction change as well.

it may not be easy to get a tee time, and the round will likely take a very long time (not everyone pays attention to the sign warning you the course is only recommended for highly skilled golfers), but this course is a must play. the out of state rate of $130 is one of the best values for the money i have ever seen. torrey pines south is twice that, and half as good a course (ok, maybe like 75% as good...). point is... you gotta play here!

"One of the best"

jdiamond7's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/21/2015
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Black is a 5 star golf course. Frankly, I hate playing on Black - it's long, tight, demanding, and physically grueling. The course is in phenomenal shape, and the architecture is wonderful. Every hole is memorable, from the multi-tiered par 5 4th to the long and well bunkered par 3 17th. It's fantastically beautiful.

I'm not good enough to play this course. I find myself hacking in very thick rough and the distance forces me to try and do too much.

I try to play it once a year because it's such a gem, but boy is it hard.