2.4

Type Municipal

Year Built 1936
Fairways Poa Annua Grass
Golf Season Year round. Weather permitting
Architect Rees Jones (2008) Greg Muirhead (2008) A. W. Tillinghast (1936) Rees Jones (1998)

Carts No

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 12

N Y N J Advisor

Beautifully Tough

As a local, the few times I've decided to test myself and play the Black was during the off-season when the grass has yet to be fully grown. It's already a beast and playing it a couple weeks after the PGA Championship, makes it even more of a beast. The course layout speaks for itself and you know its special when you are probably getting your behind kicked but still have the biggest smile on your face. The course itself takes about 5 hours to walk on a normal pace but unfortunately, this round took 6 hours due to a group in front of us breaking every etiquette for pace of play. I usually carry but do recommend using a push cart as its a very tough walk, especially in the summer.

do not take a caddie

I play the black course a few times a year and some mixed opinions. The course itself is beyond amazing and I am always impressed by the conditions of the greens and (massive bunkers). It is visually stunning and is definitely a must play for anyone in the area.

My one piece of advice for people playing the course would be to NOT take a caddie. The pro shop charges $80 (cash) plus the tip and it is definitely not worth it. The experience is not even remotely similar to caddies at other top public tracks. The guys are not professional (mine ordered a mixed drink at the turn house last time), they do not read puts or give lines and offer little in terms of strategy. I would suggest just buying a yardage book and doing things yourself

Also because the price is so low for NY residents, I have been paired multiple times with local idiots who go out there to get drunk

1st time at Bethpage Black - 5 stars

Very good experience. My day started when I arrived around 3:30am to wait on my golden ticket. You can opt to book your tee time online but it’s hard to get an early round. I also wanted the full experience, so I show up at 0330 and I find 16 other guys already waiting in front of me. By the time the Marshall came around there were probably 60 vehicles that had shown up. The locals were very friendly and helpful. The greens had been punched a week before but there was very little signs. They rolled true (a little slow) and the fairways were rewarding. Stay out of the rough. Even cut back, it’s a game changer. I can’t wait for my next visit. I highly recommend this course to any mid to low handicap player.

Big, Bold and a Brute

My wife and I were planning on the early AM parking lot wait but got lucky and secured an online tee time for 2:27 the day before. Bethpage Black is a great championship golf course but very difficult for the average golfer. Narrow fairways, long and very lush rough in addition to elevation changes, tough bunkering and firm fast greens make for a challenging yet fair test of golf. Very tough for ladies as the forward tees are 6,200 yards. Wonderful conditioning adds to the experience. The starter was very helpful and friendly. Walking only so bring your carry bag or your push cart. I would love to play this course again but perhaps just once or twice a year.

Exceeds Expectations

Mythical Bethpage Black reputation is fully warranted. I’ve never been so happy and miserable at the same time on a golf course. It’s long, so long, and unforgiving — the rough is brutal and even the first cut isn’t gentle. The greens are mostly flat and fair and in good shape, not great, which is understandable given the amount of play.

But I can’t wait to go back. It was just a fantastic experience in every way. And I was able to grind and make a lot of shots and even post decent numbers. If your budget allows, take a caddy for sure and listen to their advice.

What a day it was!

Hardest Course I Played. When can I go back?

Played here 10 years ago. Still ranks as hardest I have ever played. We took caddies. they were very helpful. It was 90 degrees and 90 % humidity. Made for a long day 5 hr 15min. Paid for a locker and shower afterwards and there were no towels. Not often you get your butt kicked and want to go back.

Special Course

One of the most well designed courses I have ever played.

The people’s country club

What a tough test of golf. Over 6600 from the whites isn’t overall challenging, but when you throw in brutal rough, sometimes tight fairways and blind shots you have a recipe for a triple digit score. This course really knows how to humble a golfer. Played it today in near 100 degree heat so that wasn’t pleasant. The greens were in great shape and fast, the rough was super thick and the fairways were in great shape. This course truly is a gem and worth the NYS price to get your behind kicked. My only issue is not with the course, but Bethpage State Park itself. It was almost 100 degrees today and we shouldn’t have played, but it’s so hard to get a foursome at a decent time so we kept the tee time. The course has a ton of water jugs out there which was amazing, but we didn’t see the cart girl once! There’s one for all 5 courses and that’s ridiculous. I’ve said this before and it goes upon deaf ears over there. Today was super dangerous not to have someone around with Gatorade if needed. Lastly, in case you don’t know the “halfway” house on Black is on hole 6 and then you have to run from 12 to get something on the way back towards the clubhouse. With groups behind you that doesn’t always work well

Hardest I've Ever Played

I have never felt so defeated, mentally and physically, after a round of golf. That being said I loved it. The course is renowned for being difficult, so I decided that I was going to let it kick my butt and just take it all in. The course condition was honestly incredible, especially considering it's public. Not tons of divots, not tons of pitch marks, overall perfect condition. Only thing I wasn't a fan of were the bunkers. I really struggled to figure out why I couldn't hit out of them even though I'm usually good out of the sand. The design is incredible and the bunkering is beautiful. This is in my top 2 courses played and I will be back again for another whooping!

North Carolina Advisor

Best Public Golf in the Northeast

Bethpage is fantastic. Enough said. Fun and challenging layout and picture perfect conditions. You must be able to find the fairway to score well here. It’s a physical and mental challenge but even at $150 for non-state residents, it’s well worth the money. Only thing not to like is the pace of play (expect AT LEAST a 5 hour round to walk here). But enjoy the nostalgia and challenge of the US Opens and the PGA and Ryder Cup to come. Can’t wait to see the pros play here next May!

OVERALL: 9.2/10

Five Stars, As Always

Fairways were perfect, greens were perfect. Rough was very thick and the fescue was terrible; I wish they'd cut the rough lower and eliminate the high grasses. It also appears they changed the sand type in the bunkers since I last played, it was very thick, especially up in the flashed faces; I was not a fan of the new bunker sand. There was a bit of construction on 18, they're adding new bunkers, as if they need more of those.

Minor critiques. The course is five stars, it'll always be five stars. Extremely difficult. Pace of play is always an issue, we played in about 5:15, that's reasonably fast for the Black. If you're out on the weekend, bring a magazine. You know what you're getting here...go with proper expectations, expect to take 6 hours, expect to have your golf game made to look like a beginner's, and expect to feel beat up when you leave. There's no better golf course for the price in America.

Difficulty Extremely Easy

Awesome!

Was in NY for a company trip and had to get out. It’s ridiculous to try and book a tee time through the reservation system, unless you want to play late afternoon. But had my pro from my home club call and we got set up. The course was absolutely amazing and couldn’t have asked for better weather. My first time and would recommend a caddy as they know the layout of the course. The greens were slower than expected but rolled very true. A little steep in price, but seeing as how they’re having the 2019 PGA Championship there, guess it’s understandable. Would highly recommend and most definitely a bucket list course.

Commented on 05/29/2018

dmack
did your local pro have to play with you? and was he able to book a decent time? I am from Chicago and registered to book online but seems like all the Friday and Sat tee times are taking up early from locals.
Thanks

Mississippi Advisor

A Masterpiece

At the end of a physically and mentally draining round, I turned to my playing partners and reached out for a handshake. "Guys, this was fun," I said. They laughed. One asked, "Was it?"

But it was! Yes, it's a kick in the pants. But the Black course is the most architecturally sound course I've ever played. The layout is spectacular, the bunkering is breathtaking, and the greens are fair. The fairways aren't the biggest in the world, but they're big enough to get around on.

Everyone is familiar with the fact that this isn't the easiest course in the world to get on, but it's worth the headache. You will be talking about Bethpage Black for a long time. Make it happen.

Best Municipal Course Anywhere

Really incredible public golf course. The rate for New York residents makes this the best golf course for the money by a huge margin and even for out of state, the relative cost is excellent. The strength of this course is in the routing and flow of the design. The greens are very simple, without bold contouring. However, the strength of the rest of the course more than makes up for this. Holes 4, 5, and 12 are the best on the course. The 18th is often criticized because of the way tour professionals play the hole, but for the vast majority of golfers, it is a very strategic hole that will test a player right up to the final shot.

The People's Course

For all the golf courses on this rock in the Atlantic Ocean called Long Island, this is the best course anyone can play. Is Shinnecock Hills on LI? Yes. Can you play it? Good Luck. If you are lucky enough to know a member who will invite you, awesome. For the rest of us without $100k, the Southampton Police will be called if we go thru the gates. But not at BP Black. Bethpage is a state park in the NYS park system. Residents will pay anywhere from $39 to $75. Non-residents, and they are strict about proof of residency, will pay $78-$150. That's the bargain of the highest magnitude in terms of greens fees for a course that the PGA frequents every few years. They played the US Open on Black in 2002 and 2009, the Barclays in 2012 and 2016, will play the PGA Championship in 2019 and the Ryder Cup in 2024. Good luck trying to play Copperhead or TPC Sawgrass (yes I have played them) for less than $250 at any time of the year. If you are looking for the greatest challenge at a reasonable price, it doesn't get much better than this. And when you do, get your "money's worth"...play from the tips, that's the real challenge. That is the secret about BP Black. While other courses you can get on will let you ride in a cart, "The People's Country Club" is walking only all the time.

Just awesome!

I showed up as a single at 8:30 am, teed off at 9:45 am. The course was in absolutely perfect condition! About 4.5 hours to play 18 holes, reasonable time considering the challenging walk.
An unforgettable experience, worth the extra money paid because I'm out of state.

Full Tee Sheet Service

Our foursome made the trek from Baltimore to Long Island to play the Black Course this past Friday. Two of the members of our foursome have single digit handicaps and have been playing golf for more than 25 years. We have never experienced the level of indifference, rudeness and overall absence of professional customer service. The course was hit with severe thunderstorms throughout our round which forced us (and other golfers) to take cover in course gazebos for safety and cover. We stayed in one for approximately 35 minutes and another for almost an hour waiting for the storms to pass. When the storms finally passed we attempted to continue playing. At that time a gentlemen came out in a cart to inform us the course was closed and we had to vacate and drove off (not offering a ride or even directions to the clubhouse). Of course we were at the farthest point from the clubhouse you could possibly be and being unfamiliar with the course we walked a serpentine path back which took us another 30 minutes. Finally when we asked for a rain check they told us we were "out there long enough to reach the 5th hole" which of course is the hole they use to decide if a rain check will be issued. As a native of Long Island I warned my group on the long walk in that we would likely receive the treatment we did. It is important to note that we would have finished out our round in the terrible conditions as we would likely not be back for a while but we were kicked off the course. The course is beautiful and would be an excellent experience on a nice day (maybe even a bad day) but you should know you will get treated commensurate to a place that has a full tee sheet every day and is getting $135 per round from out of state players.

North Carolina Advisor

Exceptional Conditions

Bethpage Black lives up to its warning sign on the first tee; it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. Need to keep the ball in the fairway to make par or better. Conditions are absolutely perfect and live up to their US Open reputation. Only problem was the pace of play (5 and a half hours) but then again, is it really awful to spend a long day at Bethpage?

Melville , New York
Woodbury, New York
Cold Spring Harbor, New York
Hicksville, New York
Syosset, New York

Valid dates: Nov 15, 2019 - May 31, 2020
Conveniently located 20 minutes from the airport, the new We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center features 246 contemporary guestrooms and suites designed with Native American traditions, bold Southwestern cuisine at Ahnala Restaurant, luxurious spa treatments and salon services at the Amethyst Spa and a spacious heated outdoor pool with two whirlpools.
From $1900