Thunderhart Golf Course

Located in the Great Northern Catskills, Thunderhart Golf Course at Sunny Hill is settled within the Catskill basin. The course offers both scenic views and a challenging design. The front nine is a traditional layout with some holes that long hitters will enjoy. There are three that measure over 500 yards. On the slightly tougher, parkland-style back nine each hole was carefully carved from the mature forests that sprinkle the rolling hills. Eleven ponds come into play throughout and the bunkering is minimal, but memorable. Though there are only 15 of them, they are strategically placed to provide a challenging test. In addition to the golf course, there is also a large 250-yard driving range available. Thunderhart is part of Sunny Hill Resort, which offers another 18-hole championship golf course that has a more resort-style feel.
Thunderhart Golf Course
Scorecard for Thunderhart
Blue M: 71.7/124 344 462 345 180 415 490 415 212 468 3331 177 451 198 402 385 174 507 364 493 3151 6482
White M: 69.5/117 324 442 325 170 370 460 375 202 422 3090 161 403 186 367 371 161 489 335 477 2950 6040
Gold M: 64.6/110 300 393 275 155 310 390 365 185 360 2733 145 340 175 345 275 140 410 280 410 2520 5253
Red W: 68.4/108 290 383 265 145 300 370 355 175 350 2633 135 320 165 335 265 130 400 270 380 2400 5033

Year Built 1969
Architect Francis Duane (1969)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard

You'll love Thunderhart

My wife and I went away for a weekend in The Catskills. Stayed at Thunderhart and played golf at the Thundehart CC. Loved the course and the friendliness of all the people was incredible. Sent us off the back since it was open and there were a few groups on the first tee. The course was fair but had some very interesting holes. Was looking forward to a second shot at it in Sunday but got rained out. Be ready for some tricky putting greens.

Good course for the $

The course could use some improvement. There was very little drinking water, which would be been appreciated on a hot day. Many of the fairways needed mowing. All in all, for what we paid, I'd play again, though.

Very poor conditions

We played this course 3 years ago and it was in average shape. The conditions we experienced today were the worst any of us had ever played in. Fairways were either lacking in grass or saturated and soft. Carts have destroyed many areas where there is grass. Mud coated most every area frIom tee green. One of our carts needed to be pushed repeatedly. The greens were recently aerated but appear to be in reasonable shape. We weren't told of the aeration or conditions and were charged $31 for 9 holes which was absolutely ridiculous given the conditions. Even absent the rain the overall conditions wouldn't warrant half of that amount.

Beutiful and we'll maintained, the tees are in great shape. The greens are wide and fairly level. I absolutely loved this course. i can't wait to.get back.

This course is challenging

The greens and fairways were in greeaty shape. The course is short but, very challenging eith different shots not just driver then a wedge. I am going back soon.

Terrible Memorial Day Weekend

I have played this course many times over the last ten years, and I have never had problems. However, Memorial day weekend was a disaster. I showed up and they threatened not to honour my online tee time, but then he told me "I was lucky and could get me out". The pace of play was a disaster. There were many open holes but huge bottle necks, probably because they sent out a group of 5 and a group of 6. I have never seen more than a foursome in my life, nevermind a holiday weekend. There were no rangers, so the terrible pace of play continued through the front 9.

Great time

The course was in very good condition and considering we played in the fall with plentyofleaves down, the fairways were cleared and mowed. We really enjoyed ourselves and will return.

Course with variety

Nice open par 5s, challenging dog leg 4s and fun par 3s that challenge you over water. Great views of the catskill mountains.

nice track

fairways were a little beat up and dry but greens were in excellent shape

Great Shape - Small Greens

The epitome of a fair-priced round of true mountain golf. Many holes nestled deep into the mountainous woods of the northern Catskills, and it plays as such. Course layout is good, the greens are very small, but this challenge makes up for the lack of bunkers on the course. Greens are firm and were rolled when I played, but weren't cut short and played slow. Regardless, greens were in good shape and if cut shorter they'd roll much faster and truer. The rough was punishing in many spots, which I like. The Catskills have had a wet summer, so I attribute a lot of the rough thickness to the above average amount of rainfall. Can't wait to get back out there soon.

Fun round

Course is well kept and staff is very nice. the hats and shirts are a bargain compared elsewhere

Challenging and forgiving

Wide open fairways on the front a bit narrower on the back. Nice advantage for the ladies. Greens in very good condition. Lovely scenery located in the Catskill Mountain area,

Excellent Shape

Course was in excellent shape. Except for some tree debris, greens were great (best I've played on this season). It is a beautiful course especially when it is lush green. I have played later in the season here and it has dried out. If they can keep it like this, it is a gem.

Fun, friendly, scenic course !

Played with a couple members. Very friendly folk! Views were great, greens in great shape, moved right along, what's not to like? There's a couple pretty tight holes. Some water, doglegs both right and left. Would definitely recommend.

The views are outstanding

Other than the extremely high humidity the course was a pleasure to play. Thank you for a great opportunity

this course has a wide open front and avery tight back nine

course was in good condition considering the end of long dry hot couple of weeks but we were a twosome and there was no attempt to pair three other twosomes and we were behind a very slow threesome 43/4 hrs called clubhouse for a ranger they said they would send one out never showed

Very nice course for a great price

Usually they do not like having people play the hot deals, but this course was great about it. Showed up a little early and they sent me right out. Played quick as few people I encountered let me zoom through. Great course! Some easy, some very difficult as should be.

Very enjoyable

First time we played this course. Very enjoyable course.

Thunderheart - Great Value

Thunderheart is a challenging course with a an excellent routing. Great views. Course was in good condition and greens rolled true, but a bit slow.

This course is a must-play

This is a beautiful course, I play it every time I am in the area. The staff is very courteous and it's a beautiful course.

Valid dates: Oct 11, 2018 - Aug 31, 2019