Amelia River Golf Club

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Dress code: Proper dress is required for all golf activities. Bathing suits, cut-offs, blue jeans, tank tops, halter tops and t-shirts are not permitted.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, Discover welcomed

Neutral 72 5373 yards 65.9 103
Neutral (W) 72 5373 yards 71.0 123

Amelia River Golf Club is located on Amelia Island, just north of Jacksonville and within minutes of the historic town of Fernandina Beach. Renowned as one of the best-conditioned courses in the area with incredibly smooth greens, sculpted around a forest of majestic Live Oaks, Sable Palms, Pines and Wax Myrtles.

This par 72 track, designed by Tom Jackson, plays to a yardage of 6,823 from the back tees. It's pristine condition features well manicured rolling fairways, smooth bunkers and greens that challenge all skill levels. This course is unique in character and is a treat to play.

Amelia River consists of 18 holes of challenging golf where ball control and accuracy are keys to a great game. The fairways are wide and open, giving the golfer a sense of a traditional Scottish links course on some holes and a narrow tree lined experience on others. The 13th hole is a good example of the course’s challenges. This long par five runs along the border of the Fernandina Beach Airport and is a strategic three shot hole. Too long and left at lay up and you will have to deal with a water hazard. The wind can play havoc with this hole as it reminds one of an open links style design. In contrast #9 is a tree lined par four with very little room for error and includes a forced carry over Alligator Creek.

The signature 17th hole is a par three surrounded by water demanding an accurate shot to the island green which closely resembles another very famous golf hole in our area! The final hole ends at the edge of the Amelia River and its expansive tidal marsh.

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city near the airport   Great for locals advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include water hazards forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks watching the game brunch

"Fun Course - Pro Shop staff NOT friendly at all"

RettJ's avatar
Georgia Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This was my first time playing this course.

The course is in average shape. Not great and not bad. The pro-shop staff was not too helpful. I asked for a cooler to use with water and gator aid which I purchased they told me they did not have coolers. This is the only course in the area I know of which does NOT have a cooler either on the cart or to use. This is Florida and it is summer time. Every one needs cold drinks and refreshment for a 4hr round of golf in the sun.

I liked the course and would play it again, but I would bring my own drinks and cooler. There was not a beverage cart out on the course. There was no on-course beverage cart service.

For the price I paid, there should be access to drinks and snacks on the course.

There are free range balls to hit, but the range was in rough shape (little grass and divots EVERYWHERE). Hardly a smooth surface anywhere to hit from.

"Awesome Place"

u772220491's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2018

This course is top notch, one of my favorite courses I have ever played.

"Good Course...."

Jimbo6073's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2018

This was a tournament that I played in and had a great time and the course conditions were really good. Greens were superb and true and layout was a challenge if playing from the back tees.

My only draw back was the head pro. He had ZERO customer service skills, never said hello or smiled and was bothered that he had to man the grill and the pro shop. He doesn’t look or act like a head pro even with a big thing of tobacco in his cheek...find a new profession sir because you are not what a golf professional resembles.

"Fair with some quirks"

James8473237's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I enjoyed playing the course. The staff were especially helpful in walking me thru the course book and highlighting hazards that aren’t visible from the fairway. The greens rolled true and were moderately quick. The 1st green had a swell, closer to a gully, running down the middle. My approach on the par 5 landed on the opposite side of this feature from the hole and it made it impossible to roll any sort of true putt. Enjoyed a nice late lunch at the ample grill. Waitstaff first rate.

"Great course with wonderful staff"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2018

Course was fun to play and in great condition. Free range balls and exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. Pace of play a little slow, but worth playing. Definitely would recommend to all.

"Great course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2018

The course is in great shape right now. And the staff was extremely friendly. There were three golfers in my group, ranging from a bogey golfer to a guy who shot 120. But we all had a great time and enjoyed the course very much. I would definitely play it again and recommend it to a friend. I gave 4 out of 5 stars because there was no on-course beverage cart service. Personally, I feel that for the price point, there should be access to drinks and snacks on the course. For $70+, one can reasonable expect certain amenities.

"Great course for the Money"

Clement1163970's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2018

Great little course and extremely friendly staff. Well kept and just tricky and tight enough for you to think about how to score. Greens held approach shots well and putted medium speed. Most tee shots made you think about what you wanted to do, but open enough you could make a mistake. Take out your 1 iron a few times but enough holes to let the big dog eat. Cant wait to come back

"Loved this course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

From the time we pulled in to play until the time we left. I feel in love with this facility. The staff was extremely helpful to get me and my group off to a good start. The course was not packed so we were able to start about 10 minutes earlier than our scheduled tee time. Fairways were absolutely beautiful, and even though the greens had been aerated a few weeks prior, we found the greens to be very good shape. Hole 14 and 17 were my favorites. The only down side was not cart service but we were able to get refreshments at the turn. I look forward to coming back to this course. Its to bad I live 1 1/2 hours away.

"Great Course"

adamptaylor's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2018

This is a well designed challenging course. It is a bit pricey, but it is located in a popular vacation destination, so that was to be expected. Some holes have wide open fairways where you can let loose, and others are tight where you have to make some strategic decisions. Water hazards abound and there are some large bunkers to be weary of. Large Oaks are all over the course which add to the lurking hazards. Greens were large and soft and rolled true.

The course is located next to the airport, so you get watch the planes take of and land which you don't see everyday. Only complaint is that there is no beverage cart. It gets hot on this island, so come pre-hydrated.

"Nice course"

waynemcdaniel's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2018

Fun course to play. Open from the tee with wide fairways.

Greens about 10- 14 days from being really good, recovering from aerification a couple weeks ago.

"2 putt"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

The fairways are in excellent shape. The greens were areated 2 weeks ago. We played automatic 2 putt once on the green. The greens are coming back quickly and they have given a discount due to the greens condition. You won't be disappointed.

"3.5 stars"

u254682092's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

This is probably a 3.5 Star review. They had just aerated the greens, but they still had A TON of sand on them. I play on aerated greens several times a year and have never seen anyone leave this much sand. We played at a discounted rate. If the greens were perfect I would not have been happy paying the full rate for this course. It is nice and has a good layout but it is not a $60-70 course. The fairways were good overall, but there were some tee boxes that needed work. Also, there is no grass on the range,had to hit off dirt. Also, just as a note, for a course named Amelia River, there isn’t a single hole on the river. You finally see the river after you finish 18. It should be named Fernandina Beach Airport Golf Course.

Response from Amelia River Golf Club on 05/15/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Amelia River Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and your feedback is appreciated. It looks like you had a friendly experience with our staff. Thank you for your choosing our course, in the Fernandina Beach, Florida area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Tight but good"

ReedJG's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

I tend to drive it a bit crooked but I managed my way around with maybe 5 or 6 balls (found 4 or 5 while looking for mine). Greens were fast but the reads were not sneaky. Pretty good shape. Very playable for my wife who drives straight. Some forced carries which are what they are for shorter hitters. I’m an 11 and shot 82 even with my 8 or ten penalty shots so not a course where missing a green means instant double bogey. I enjoyed it.

"Great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

This review is to let the public know that they will be aerating the greens May 8th to 11th 2018. The course will be closed. I do highly recommend this course once the greens make their way back from grooming.

"Helpful review"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2018

Course is in great shape. Fairways are greening up . Greens are groomed and fairly quick. Course isn't overly challenging, but is a course worth playing. Driving range,golf cart and practice green are included in price.

"Nice track, quick greens."

derekbradley's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

This is a fun course with quick greens. I saw a gator on 1 and 14, so that added a little interest. The course challenges with some risk taking opportunities, but you can think your way around it. For as fast as the greens were, they held pretty well if you spun the ball. I'd play here again.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018

"Over priced and under maintained!"

Raydon23's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

This is a great layout and if/when they get the course in better shape I highly recommend it. I walked in as a single and paid the going rate of $84. The staff was very friendly and got me in right away. Good practice range. The greens were in good shape and fast and true. The fairways are filled with crab grass. For the price I feel a little ripped off. I will look to play it again the next time on Amelia Island but I will definitely check out the reviews first to see if it got any better.

Response from Amelia River Golf Club on 04/25/2018:

Hello Raydon, thank you for sharing your review. We truly appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our layout at Amelia River Golf Club and also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

"Fast greens....no logo balls but-"

Joseph2598298's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2018

Course is definitely worth playing. Greens very fast....interesting layout with a few challenging holes. No hole layout on scorecard or at tee boxes so local knowledge or gps with imaging is a must....many hazards not viewable until it's toooo late....so bring your gps. NO logo ball available for sale but pro shop staff agreed to contact me when their next shipment arrives.

"Very enjoyable first visit."

Greg8315056's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2018

Very pretty and challenging course. Super friendly and helpful staff.

Got a decent rate for a single player and really liked this place; from the lovely drive into the club, to the course itself.

Looking forward to playing here again next year.