Type
Forfar Golf Club

Year Built 1871
Architect Old Tom Morris (1871) James Braid (1926)

Carts Yes - £20

Unique challenge

Tremendous course with a truly fascinating history.
Designed by Tom Morris and then tweaked by James Braid it boasts an illustrious calibre. The World's first 18 hole course from inception no less.
The rolling undulations, a product of flax farming apparently, make for a unique challenge. Whilst not long by modern standards it makes for a great day out. Every facet of your game is tested, if you can score here you can ultimately play anywhere.
Enjoyed a meal after my round and food matched my experience on the course, superb. Always enjoy bringing friends here.

Imagine a frozen sea

I like hilly courses. That is not exactly what Forfar is though. Many fairways have multiple rolling undulations a bit like a frozen sea. This makes for interesting golf - and this is written by someone who has a links course as their home club so does not expect iron flat fairways.

Notwithstanding it is a course you should play. It is interesting the scenery good to. Green fee prices vary so if you can wait for a hot deal it is worth doing so. We were greeted well at the pro shop. This time we did not eat in the club house

I have played this course a few times now. When the weather is good it is great. When it rains the course deals with the lying water really well. I love this course. This round though weather was miserable. Played poor cause we were drenched. This time we were held up by a fourball who wouldn't let us through, thankfully they gave up due to weather. Even though all these negatives still enjoyed the round and will definitely go back. Actually thinking of joining Forfar because we love it so much and I stay in perth.

1st game back

Forfar is a lovely little course not too long and its a fair test. Greens were a touch bobbly but a bit early in the season to criticise too much...Overall very satisfied plus i played well...

Fantastic

Myself and my brother played this course today. It has been raining for a few days now, the course has stood up well and was very playable. Love this course. For £13 value out of this world. Highly rate and recommend

It could be very good but needs new green staff due to greens are poor at best & new buggy’s that the windscreen don’t fall out half way through the round. Only played it once so it could be a one off but I won’t be playing it again due to the pro blaming us for the windscreen falling off the buggy. We didn’t go in the clubhouse so we can’t comment on that

Always a very good test

All be it late in the season, in very good condition. Greens a wee bit slow but rolling well.
Very enjoyable.

Well worth the visit!

I had heard from friends that Forfar was a lovely course and it definitely was!
I played it with my son who also enjoyed the course. The Pro shop seemed sparse of stock but the lady there was friendly and helpful. Likewise the lady behind the bar was chatty and our toasties were beautifully presented.The members we met were delightful and welcoming.
The course was unusual with rolling fairways, due we were told, to flax being grown in the 18th century on ‘rigs and furrows’. It made the round interesting as your ball could shoot forward depending on where it landed. The greens were faster than we expected but the green keepers have produced a great golf course. The weather was perfect for golf and I would certainly go back to Forfar!

Excellent surprise

First time to play at Forfar Golf club and what an excellent surprise to find a beautiful course laid out in a challenging but very fair way for a couple of keen golfers.this course is a must if you want to discover unique fairways that won't be found anywhere else in the world. A definite return will be on the agenda at some point

Excellent heathland course

Excellent heathland course
Not long but favours position play to stay out of the hazards.
Good variety of holes some blind shots but adds to the experience.
Excellent greens especially after our long dry spell.
Pleasant friendly staff.
Would recommend and definitely play again.

Interesting parkland course

Height of summer and course was good. Greens excellently maintained. Interesting course uses bunkers well - varying width fairways and rough you can find your ball in usually. Little bit back and forth parallels for some holes. Some closeness between greens and tees in places. Definition nicely somewhere I’d play again

Staff in pro shop and bar made us welcome.

Plays Twice a year

Superb

This course is a delight. It is beautiful and challenging, historic and friendly. We‘ll be back!

Ground staff rudeness

Great course and always found clubhouse and shop staff very friendly and helpful but this time our round was marred by blatant rudeness by grounds men mowing tees and not only not being polite enough to pause when golfers were driving off but these guys refused to stop mowing and blowing on several tees which was not only offensive but contributed to further delaying a busy course. Very disappointed and have never come across similar behaviour anywhere else.

Enjoyable course

Though play was slow today, an enjoyable course. I forgot my GPS distance tracker so really struggled to get an idea of the distance as the 150 yard markers were difficult to find?

Fabulous course

First time playing here and it was fantastic. Turned up early and Pro was very friendly and let us tee off early. Hardly anyone else on the course so played in 3 hours without rushing. Views from the holes were lovely and the course layout great. Fairways were in good condition as were the greens. Would definitely play again. Good test for both of us as a single figure and high teen handicapper.
Service in clubhouse after unfortunately not a great experience. Only ordered sandwiches and chips and waited ages and then what was served was not good.
Next time will just play the course and not go in for food afterwards which is a shame as when you get such a deal on the golf it's nice to go and spend some money in the clubhouse.

Compact course.

Good condition but slow play and food was really poor.It could have been a bad day in the kitchen but it was a letdown.Course was 7/10 though and some cracking holes.

Alternative to the links

If you are in Carnoustie Country and its too windy on the coast you must try Forfar, fantastic gem of a course well laid out. Every hole is different and offers a great challenge for all levels.
Excellent greens, manicured fairways and tidy bunkering make it a really great experience
Clubhouse catering is of a good standard and very reasonable with plenty of choice. Good view out over the tricky 18th green to enjoy as you relax after your round
Great course don't miss it.

Nice course, very enjoyable

A very enjoyable experience and a course in great condition.

So good, I'd join

It's not often I've played a golf course and just simply fallen in love with it. The use of the land is simply breathtaking. Where others would have flattened the fairways, Forfar uses the land to its advantage. By doing so, each tee shot requires something a bit different. Distance will only help you so much here, accuracy is key!

Large undulating greens make for challenging approach play, but they were in such good condition, that you could attack the hole with confidence.

Staff and facilities were both excellent, the only thing bigger than the greens was the burger I had in the clubhouse. Fantastic!

I can't wait to play it again.

Valid dates: Dec 05, 2019 - Nov 01, 2020