Type
Rating N/A
Forfar Golf Club
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1871
Architect Old Tom Morris (1871) James Braid (1926)

Carts Yes - £20

Catering

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

Fantastic

We played this course on the most spectacular day in November. Although there were forward tees and some temporary greens, the course was in excellent condition for the time of year. spectacular scenery and interesting holes.

A great challenge

First time playing Forfar in around 30 years back when I was a kid playing with my grandparents, course was pretty much as I remembered it and was in great condition. Accuracy off the tee is paramount as I found to my cost once or twice!
Personally I found there was maybe a little overkill on the bunkers, they seemed to be absolutely everywhere but then again that's my fault for finding alot of them!
The group in front of us were slow and they looked for EVERY lost ball until they found it which in turn led to the group behind us catching up to us, nothing we could do about that afraid but still apologised none the less.
Pro shop staff were very friendly and helpful, will definitely be returning soon

Classic course

Once again we returned to Forfar having visited & played here a number of times over the years. It is always a course that draws you back, mainly for the overall feel about the place & value for money. 2 in our party of 4 forgot to book a buggy & when we turned up the guy in the shop couldn't help enough in sorting 1 out for our more elderly pair. 2 of us walked the course & found it a great challenge once again, with the tricky holes just beating us. However, we made up for it on a few holes,which balanced things up. One thing we have found with the covid situation is a real mixture of 2, 3 & 4-balls making you push your way round the course quicker, which has to be good for the game.Give Forfar a try & like us, you will be back for more.Remember to finish in the bar with a well earned drink where you can recall your round. Well done Forfar!

Lovely wee course

We had never played Forfar and found it really enjoyable. Lovely weather helped and the course was in good condition. Rolling fairways with maybe 1 too many blind drives. Greens were good if a wee bit slow on the day we played ( heavy rain night before ). Staff were very friendly and COVID arrangements were thorough but not oppressive. Some lovely views and interesting holes. Not a long course but makes you think your way off the tee and onto the correct level of green.
Really enjoyed it.

This course should be on all golfers to play list

A true hidden gem of a course. Excellent layout that demands accuracy both off the tee and on the greens. The fairways have a real links golf feel to them with rolling undulations. A lot of the holes are tree lined as well which gives them individual definition. We played the course in July and it was in magnificent condition. Will definitely play it again and recommend any golfer to add it to their “to play” list

Good wee course

First time playing the course and really enjoyed it

Unique challenge

Tremendous course with a truly fascinating history.
Designed by Tom Morris and then tweaked by James Braid it boasts an illustrious calibre. The World's first 18 hole course from inception no less.
The rolling undulations, a product of flax farming apparently, make for a unique challenge. Whilst not long by modern standards it makes for a great day out. Every facet of your game is tested, if you can score here you can ultimately play anywhere.
Enjoyed a meal after my round and food matched my experience on the course, superb. Always enjoy bringing friends here.

Imagine a frozen sea

I like hilly courses. That is not exactly what Forfar is though. Many fairways have multiple rolling undulations a bit like a frozen sea. This makes for interesting golf - and this is written by someone who has a links course as their home club so does not expect iron flat fairways.

Notwithstanding it is a course you should play. It is interesting the scenery good to. Green fee prices vary so if you can wait for a hot deal it is worth doing so. We were greeted well at the pro shop. This time we did not eat in the club house

I have played this course a few times now. When the weather is good it is great. When it rains the course deals with the lying water really well. I love this course. This round though weather was miserable. Played poor cause we were drenched. This time we were held up by a fourball who wouldn't let us through, thankfully they gave up due to weather. Even though all these negatives still enjoyed the round and will definitely go back. Actually thinking of joining Forfar because we love it so much and I stay in perth.

1st game back

Forfar is a lovely little course not too long and its a fair test. Greens were a touch bobbly but a bit early in the season to criticise too much...Overall very satisfied plus i played well...

Fantastic

Myself and my brother played this course today. It has been raining for a few days now, the course has stood up well and was very playable. Love this course. For £13 value out of this world. Highly rate and recommend

It could be very good but needs new green staff due to greens are poor at best & new buggy’s that the windscreen don’t fall out half way through the round. Only played it once so it could be a one off but I won’t be playing it again due to the pro blaming us for the windscreen falling off the buggy. We didn’t go in the clubhouse so we can’t comment on that

Always a very good test

All be it late in the season, in very good condition. Greens a wee bit slow but rolling well.
Very enjoyable.

Well worth the visit!

I had heard from friends that Forfar was a lovely course and it definitely was!
I played it with my son who also enjoyed the course. The Pro shop seemed sparse of stock but the lady there was friendly and helpful. Likewise the lady behind the bar was chatty and our toasties were beautifully presented.The members we met were delightful and welcoming.
The course was unusual with rolling fairways, due we were told, to flax being grown in the 18th century on ‘rigs and furrows’. It made the round interesting as your ball could shoot forward depending on where it landed. The greens were faster than we expected but the green keepers have produced a great golf course. The weather was perfect for golf and I would certainly go back to Forfar!

Excellent surprise

First time to play at Forfar Golf club and what an excellent surprise to find a beautiful course laid out in a challenging but very fair way for a couple of keen golfers.this course is a must if you want to discover unique fairways that won't be found anywhere else in the world. A definite return will be on the agenda at some point

Excellent heathland course

Excellent heathland course
Not long but favours position play to stay out of the hazards.
Good variety of holes some blind shots but adds to the experience.
Excellent greens especially after our long dry spell.
Pleasant friendly staff.
Would recommend and definitely play again.

Interesting parkland course

Height of summer and course was good. Greens excellently maintained. Interesting course uses bunkers well - varying width fairways and rough you can find your ball in usually. Little bit back and forth parallels for some holes. Some closeness between greens and tees in places. Definition nicely somewhere I’d play again

Staff in pro shop and bar made us welcome.

Plays Twice a year

Superb

This course is a delight. It is beautiful and challenging, historic and friendly. We‘ll be back!

Ground staff rudeness

Great course and always found clubhouse and shop staff very friendly and helpful but this time our round was marred by blatant rudeness by grounds men mowing tees and not only not being polite enough to pause when golfers were driving off but these guys refused to stop mowing and blowing on several tees which was not only offensive but contributed to further delaying a busy course. Very disappointed and have never come across similar behaviour anywhere else.

Guthrie, Angus