Millport Golf Club, a heathland golf course situated above the town of Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae, was founded in 1888 making it one of the oldest established courses on the Firth of Clyde. In 1913, architect James Braid was invited to design the course to suit the modern game. The island is only four miles long and two miles wide. The 18-hole golf course commands one of the most dramatic vistas in Scottish golf. Panoramic views over the Firth include Ailsa Craig, the Isle of Bute, the Cowal Peninsula and Arran. Looking across to Arran provides a spectacular vista of Goat Fell and The Sleeping Warrior. The par-68 golf course measures just less than 6,000 yards. Although not a links course, if the wind is blowing from the south, Millport Golf Club takes on the characteristics of a links course. There are several blind shots to test golfers skills. Out of bounds comes into play in the first seven holes. On the second hole, out of bounds faces you right and left. Millport has no par 5s, however a few of the long par 4s will test even the lowest handicap player. The 345-yard 10th hole is especially testing, with the green perched on a plateau.