The Baberton Golf Club dates to 1893 and claims its place in history as the spot where the steel shaft originated. The clubs and their patents are stored in the clubhouse. Many members have represented Scotland and golfed professionally, including the European Tour's Ian Young and the one-time World Boys Champion and current TV personality Ewen Murray.

A round of golf at the Baberton Golf Club starts on Waugh's Knowe, a par 4 that measures 405 yards from the white tees, where restraint is required not to shoot long from the start. The very next hole could be called the golf course's signature: Named Baberton, the par-5 hole measures 501 yards and allows for a little more muscle. The round finishes on the 421-yard par-4 Redan, which features a demanding tee shot that needs to be aimed at the marker pole, as the slope kicks the ball to the left.

When booking your round at the Baberton Golf Club, make sure to also book a bit of time on the snooker table in the lounge, featuring a panoramic view of Edinburgh.

Baberton Golf Club

Year Built 1893
Architect Willie Park, Jr. (1893) James Braid (1926)

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Delta, Mastercard

Excellent experience

Can’t rate the hospitality and course high enough. Thank you to all the staff for a great day

Baberton Golf

Really enjoyed playing Baberton at the end of April. Very friendly pro explained all to us and made us feel very welcome. Unfortunate about the local rule at the first that you must hit to a certain area due to housing proximity, but beyond that the course was in good condition, and the greens nice and true running at a decent pace. Glad we took the buggy as although the course is listed as "gently undulating", there are quite a few hills, which could drag the legs out of you if damp underfoot. Lovely views, nice course, decent challenge! :)

Loved layout

Booked course before reading about course and found out had been closed because of weather but phoned Saturday morning and course open was pleasantly surprised how good it was for time of year will be playing it again . Was a bit slow and that only issue staff in shop very helpful and players on course approachable

Good course

I was a bit unfortunate to play the course after a lot of rain, fairways and rough were very heavy and greens had just been hollowtined and sanded. I would play again but in drier conditions, I must add if you have a buggy it will struggle with some of the inclines.

One of my best ever rounds

I arrived early the pro assistant was friendly and took me to locker room i got to tee early to see an American lady golfer arrive and ask to join me (I had played here 2years ago)as I was on my own what followed was a wonderful round on a challenging course in blowing conditions.the greens were true fairways excellent few holes cross each other but in no way are an issue.the blind shots are indicated well by markers.I played fantasy golf with a lovely lady who played off 8 she loved views and the course.Off course the bar is a delight.A bargain at golfnow deal I got.see you again for certain

Barberton

Everyone was friendly, the pro was well stocked and helpful. The course was well kept and well signed for first timers. The Pro gave us a complementary map and local advice/instructions on the first hole.

I'd return in a heartbeat I had a great day. If I stayed in Edinburgh I'd be a member.

Excellent course

Played this for first time yesterday (Sun) as a 2 ball. We were made to feel welcome in the clubhouse and pro shop before and after our round. The fairways and greens were in excellent condition and overall the course was stunning. There are a few blind holes so opportunity to improve our scores the next time now that we know the course layout.

Baberton

Myself and my d=friends used to play Baberton a lot 25 years ago and have some very fond memories so it was great fun to return to a course we enjoyed so much.

Fantastic local course

From the cheery welcome in the Pro shop to a par on the 18th, Baberton was a great first time experience.

Course was in great condition and laid out well. Forgiving and challenging at the same time.

Will be making many more visits.

Hidden jem

Good course with great facilities. Wonderful clubhouse good food afterwards.if you are in the area try this course.

Newbridge, Midlothian