Type
Style Parkland

Merchants of Edinburgh Golf Club features a design created by the land around the Easter and Wester Craiglockhart hills, making for a hilly tree-lined golf course that undulates and offers excellent views of Edinburgh. The golf course is short and tricky, requiring some blind strokes that seduce the bold and encompass a mix of rewards and punishments. It's definitely a cerebral course. There is no par-5, but seven par-3s let low-handicappers have a go at it, and let mid-high-handicappers do their thing.

The rough at the Merchants of Edinburgh Golf Club doesn't punish much, and few bunkers or manmade traps exist, so relax and play against nature.

The Merchants of Edinburgh Golf Club's first hole measures 244 yards and is one of those par-3s designed for everybody. On the final hole, golfers look at 282 yards and have four strokes to get there.

Merchants Of Edinburgh Golf Club

Year Built 1907
Architect James Braid (1936) Ben Sayers (1907)

Par 3 s

Some of the craziest par 3 iv played. We had such a laugh playing it and it was quite hard. Got be good of the tee or you will get punished. Great course to test your skill.

Wasted Potential

Merchant's Course has the potential to be a course of choice but seemed to fall short in just too many areas. unkempt tee areas bobly ground, grass too long, not draining, more sloped than you might expect was irritating, but more so the greens with too many unrepaired divots, squelchy and not draining around the edges but most frustratingly having lots of what I can only call bobbles dotted around. Your putt might run true for 7 ft be heading for the cup when a bobble just under the grass surface deflects your ball 20 degrees right and you miss the hole! Not a welcoming experience to visit.

Bad mannered starter, and members.

We arrived at 8.10am for a 8.20am tee off, there was no starter to be seen, no answer at the club house, and no answer when I phoned the pro, we had to tee off not knowing where to go, no cards to mark our scores then at the 15th we were approached by a foursome of pensioner member that had allegedly teed off at 9.30am complaining that we had held them up 2 holes previously, the 3 of us have handicaps of 14,14 and 18 so we're definitely not slow these members were incredibly rude to us then proceeded to hack up the course and strangely never got near us for the last 3 holes, my anger was volmatic as to how we had been treated from start to finish and this course should NOT invite paying guests to their course if they're going to treat them like our group, I would NOT RECOMMEND this course to anyone.
AVOID THIS COURSE LIKE THE PLAGUE.

A very scenic view of sunny Edinburgh.

I found the pro shop and the clubhouse staff informative, welcoming and pleasant. The course is rather hilly and should only be played if you own a powakaddy or motocaddy! I used my old push pull cart and was knackered by the 18th. The course is a challenge with many blindshots to be played to the greens. I really enjoyed the views over the Edinburgh skyline.
The course was very wet when I played due to two days worth of heavy rain but enjoyable nonetheless.
First class clubhouse and fayre.

Absolute gem

Beautiful course, significant elevation changes so be mindful if you have trouble walking up and down inclines. Staff incredibly friendly and accommodating, especially for a visiting tourist. Fresh pint and good food in the clubhouse. Altogether a great first Edinburgh golf experience for this novice.

Saturday Afternoon Round

Course is short (<5000 yards), has good views over Edinburgh and the golf is enjoyable.

My big problem with this course is that the guy in the shop on Saturday afternoon (not sure if he is the pro) clearly doesn't like people who turn up to play through teeofftimes! He was unduly rude and made us uncomortable whilst making us wait on an empty tee for the exact time we booked. Apart from unfriendly staff, the round was pleasant.

Most scenic course

Enjoyed the varied scenic and challenging holes...Would certainly recommend this course..Played 3 ball..

Short course but very hilly, course has lots of par 3s or driveable par 4s but also plenty blind shots.

Our tee time was moved to accommodate a medal without prior warning and we had a very slow round because of this.

Don't think I'd book again

this course has great views

played here for the second time and was amazed at the condition of the fairwaiys and greens which are very well kept greens in great condition at the moment and are watered to keep them green with no patches credit to greenkeepers after sun for 3 weeks . course layout has a great mix of short and long holes which have you thinking and useing all clubs in the bag . spectacular views of the city on back nine. look out for 13th par 3 its a gem of a hole!

Scenic course

Enjoyed our foursome at this challenging scenic course.. although not a lot of long holes..the short ones required some skills to negotiate ..would certainly play it again...

Good challenge in the heart of Edinburgh

A short course a little cramped but excellent situation and views to die for. Greens well watered but rough and terrain challenging
Worth a round but for me at 67 a bit too hilly

Oasis

This Gem, I have must of pass one hundred times, looking down into the valley and up into the heavens, wondering what treasures it keeps. Until the day I took the plunge, and what a delight that was passed before my very eyes. The course was pristine, greens like velvet, the challenge was breath taking, like the views. I beg you, try it and like me you will be begging for more.

A series of terrible mistakes

Ok: I’ve driven past this course loads of times but been put off by the layout- it plays along and accross a valley. Let’s be clear: it’s pretty. It’s in pretty good condition. Mature trees & great planting as well as well maintained course. Greens are ok. Everyone there was awesome. Great value. The only issue is the layout, and to be fair I don’t know how it could be made better. The issue is where it is. Not that anyone would, but if someone asked me what to do with that piece of virgin land, 2nd bottom of my list would be “golf course”, only narrowly beaten by “geriatric convalescent ice rink”. The slopes are ludicrous. The scary bits you can see from the road are to lure you in. By the time I’d got to the 9th I’d encountered actual mountain bikers presumably in serious training for the softer trails at glentress. By the time the car park came back into view at the end of the 9th I paused to consider just going home to cry. Thinking the worst must be behind me, I pressed on. Mistake. In the space of three holes, I’d achieved a climb that would have caused tour cyclists to undergo several transfusions. I started substantially below the ground level of 5 story flats and university buildings accross the road. By the 12th green I was now looking down on them with the rest of Edinburgh, and Fife on the other side of me. In 3 holes. Cue a couple of completely blind par 3s with just marker poles & a yardage to help you battle the 30mph winds, and then the lunacy finds another level. The psycho that had dragged me up there decided to abandon all that altitude with a single par 3 off the side of a cliff, reading 200something yards, but that’s a horizontal reading. You’re conservatively the same height above the green. At this point I’d lost all interest in hitting the ball and just wanted to be airlifted home. Meanwhile members were happily appearing all round me happy as mountain goats. Clearly not all heroes wear capes. Some wear soft spikes and - presumably - portable defibrillators. Close to weeping, I prodded the ball in the general direction of the car for a couple more holes before picking up and trudging the rest of the way in, defeated. Heroes, triathletes & poorly behaved teenagers should absolutely play here. Middle aged overweight men or anyone with a family who might miss them probably shouldn’t. Sorry.

u690566926
Commented On 05/23/2018

In stitches here. Might avoid this course!

Valid dates: Feb 01, 2020 - Feb 29, 2020
Three days of UNLIMITED golf and Three nights of lodging with FREE golf shoes.