Fox Hills Resort - National Course

Credit cards accepted: Amex MasterCard Visa Discover card(s) Welcomed

Gold 72 5735 yards N/A N/A

The National is Fox Hill Resort & Conference Center's 18-hole championship course, which is joined by the 27-hole Fox Creek Course. In total, there are four different 18-hole layouts available at the club, making it one of northeast Wisconsin's premier golfing destinations. Unlike the longer parkland golf course, the National has a Scottish-links style layout that draws inspiration directly from the traditions of British Isles courses. The lengthy layout stretches to just over 7,000 yards from the back tees. The course is accented with massive sandy waste areas and carefully sculpted mounding. Challenging double greens were incorporated into the design and there are over 16 acres of water hazards that come into play throughout. Just like any classic links golf course, the landscape is virtually treeless and there are numerous strategically placed bunkers to contend with.

Location is at a resort   Great for playing multiple courses   Challenges include water hazards

"Great resort course to go play and not worry about anything"

dahlryan's avatar
Chicago-Milwaukee Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played the national part of a buddies trip up to the resort. Its a great deal for 3 nights stay with unlimited golf plus free breakfasts. The national is a really nice links style course. Greens and fairways are in great shape. Lot of cool holes that have some risk and reward with them. Definitely a place I would go back to, to be able to play golf and relax and not worry about anyone else around you. The other courses their are average but again for the price and deal they are perfect.

"The National"

gshep44's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2015

Nice layout. Course needs some TLC. Clubhouse is a joke. First time that I have witnessed a mushroom growing on a green. Would be willing to pay 30 w/ cart, but 50 +. Cmon man!

"nice mock links course"

kempie59's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

we try and play course at least once a year many courses in area that are nice to play also

"Classey Links Course Just like a FOX..."

DavidLaDuke's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

I played solo here, and was my first time here. I knew was a links course driving 2 1/2 hours up here to play. The staff head pro was a great guy. Great Layout, but typical, but what I thought made this course stand out from your typical boring Links course was that this course has a ton, and I mean a ton of sand and water here, and mounds every where. I play golf always where the ball lies, and let me tell you I found my share of fairway bunkers, or waste bunkers here. But found out that they were pretty easy to get out off. There sand is raked and groomed daily here, which I think stands out here. Most par 3's are not easy friends, especially hitting from the black tips tees I hit 2 balls here that morning, 1 from the Black, and 1 from the Whites just to see how I would fare, this course is 7,000 plus yards from the tips guys and gals. And About 6,300 Yards from the Whites. Heck hole 10 is 460 yards par 4 from the black tees. I bogeyed it but hey was on in 3. The fairways are nice and wide, and the greens, well again I found the greens to be in excellent tip top shape here, with a nice roll to them. and soft. I bit pricey but I loved playing this course. was chilly and got great laughs from the locals at 7:30am for showing up in shorts. I forgot that Lake Michigan is about 5 miles away, and the wind made it chilly, guys told me that it does not warm up here until June. Hole 17, I landed 1 1/2 feet away at 170 yards from the black tees to almost get my hole in one. But not quite. Hope to be back this summer to play the other 27 holes it has to offer. Fun course to bring beginners I think. Wide fairways. Thumbs UP!!! Blacks holed out in 41-41=82, and Whites 39-39=78. Never did see the Fox?????? LOL...

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Challenging with the many hills , water and sand."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2014

Tough if your not a straight hitter with the many hills , sand and water. Very challenging . But was fun to play a different type of course.

"Good value for the money"

mladwig26's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2014

Decent condition. Was raining and carts didn't have club covers so that was inconvenient.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Decent course, but average condition @ best"

ode's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

It's a decent test and there are several signature holes along the water, which are fun to play. Greens were good, but everything else was not the best...fairways hadn't been mowed in several days and was like playing out of the first cut of rough, and they were spotty; same for the tee boxes. Overall I like the course, however would not pay their standard rate for 18 + cart, which is around $50. If they kept it in better shape, I would play this course a few times per year.

"Course and resort seem tired."

alancmills's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

I have a good friend who takes his entire family to Fox Hills Resort each fall for a family golf vacation. He always talks about the place. So, on my return from Green Bay, I decided to stop and check it out. It helped that GolfNow had a great deal. I played The National. Underwhelming would be the best description. The layout is very nice, but the condition of the course was below average. Fairways were choppy, grass growing in much of the bunker system, and beat-up greens. I guess I was expecting much more. Pace was fantastic, as very few people were out playing ahead of me. However, it did seem like there were a good number of people out playing. I imagine this course could be a gem if cared for, but it appeared the course, and the entire resort, was old and looked a bit worn. I wonder if they are having trouble producing enough revenue to truly care for the facility? I doubt I'll go back, but glad I have now played it.

"Fox Hills - National"

JeffDV's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2014

Good course, if you like links course. Greens in very good condition. Huge flocks of geese are disappointing and definitely reduce the enjoyment. 4 or 5 holes contain so many geese that you have to be aware of them, play around them, and "step gingerly" so you don't step in their 'remains'.

"Very disappointed"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2014

Not my idea of a links course, just overgrown hills, weedy fairways and a bunch of useless waste traps. There was no water to drink on the course, no beverage cart service. All we saw was goose droppings everywhere !

We weren't able to take a cart because of the recent rains, which we understand, but the pull carts we were offered had flat tires, broken straps, squeaky rusty wheels and were basically useless. Men's bathroom in the "clubhouse" was out of order.

We will not be back no matter how great the price.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"sometimes you need to step aside"

doug1274's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

group of four ahead of us were very slow, we ended up at the T box before they teed of four times. We had hoped they would have let us play through but no dice. There was no one behind us and the group in front of them were moving at a good pace

"Interesting layout"

gbedt's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2014

My grandson & I enjoyed the challenge of the National Course. I was a little surprised that it took us 5 hrs. We were paired up with a young couple who were very nice. The yardages on the score card were not always accurate and can be confusing when you don't know the course.

"Plays harder than it seems"

Seidlgolf's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/21/2013

The starter and staff can be crabby - I've seen this playing here on several occasions, and I wish they would understand how this detracts from a golfer's experience.

Pace of play can be slow - I've never gotten out of here in under 4 hours.

Course conditions are generally good - tee boxes always seem long and overly divoted, but greens are relatively well maintained and fairways / waste bunkers / tall grass areas are all what they should be for the style of course this is.

Final comment - depth perception on approach shots are made more difficult because they use short 5' flagsticks, and yardages frequently seem "off" when you're standing over your shots. I and many people I've played with have noted a higher-than-average number of balls that either come up surprisingly short or fly over the green. At least that's always what makes me play this course higher than my handicap, and probably part of the design.

"Challenging from various tees"

gheim's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/2/2013

We played the white tees which played about 6300 yds. It is a links style course with quite a bit of wasteland between holes. Many holes have mounds between holes too. Some have foot deep grass. Overall the course can be challenging from every tee block.

"fun course, poor putting surface"

rjk514's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/31/2013

greens were punched so quality of putting was poor

"Good Links Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2013

The resort has a total of 54 holes, 18 of which is the "National", or links course. I live close and have played all courses a number of times over the years, although infrequently. The National is generally considered the most difficult 18, although the fairways are relatively wide and the course is generally easy to navigate. The greens were recently aerated, so putting was spotty. I had no intention of playing this day, but spotted this deal on Golf Now. At 65% off, it was cheaper per hole than the local putt-putt. How can you say no to that?

"Nicely laid-out course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/26/2013

Played this course with my teenage son. I really enjoyed playing it. It was well-maintained and I thought walked a good line between being challenging and fair. There's a fair amount of sand and water and plenty of heather (left a few of my shots in the heather) - but the fairways are wide and greens are large, so if you can keep the ball in play, you can score well.

"Great links layout in great condition"

None's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/20/2013

We got out on The National at about 11 AM after watching most of Round 3 of the Open Championship this past Saturday. Windy conditions made it fun and challenging to play this beautiful course!<br/> We hardly saw anyone else out on the course, and when we finished in about 3½ hours, the pro told us we could just head out again if we wanted to!<br/> This course basically made my trip out to WI (visiting a friend that had recently moved there). I'd give it more than 5 stars if I could - perfect golf day that I didn't want to end!

"Good course for all golfers! Easy walking."

Giftseeker's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2013

Played this course 5 times in the last 3 years,always in decent shape. Nice mixture of holes. Pro shop called shortly after booking and advised no carts because of overnight rain, nice gesture. Course was still in great shape

"WELL MAINTAINED!!!!"

ratlogger's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/27/2013

The staff was awesome. I liked their putting and chipping area but the driving range was disappointing. I thought the course played challenging from the black tees. The National course is fun and great shape..