Type Public/Municipal

Greens Kikuyu Grass
Architect Jack Daray

Credit Cards Accepted MasterCard Visa card(s) Welcomed
Fivesomes Allowed Yes
Dress code Collared Shirt Required, No Cutoffs. No tee shirts. Golf Shoes, Tennis Shoes only. No sandals.

Affordable Golf in San Diego

For municipal course, this course was in good shape and very picturesque on the back nine. It is a flat course with many seniors walking the course. It has a very convenient location, just over the Coronado Bridge from San Diego.

My only 2 complaints. You must make a tee time on-line. This requires a $18 booking fee. The greens fees are $62. When the booking fee is nearly one-third of the cost - that is ridiculous!

The course has many black crows. If any food is left your cart when you walk to the green, your food will be gone. They can become very aggressive too.

Great scenery

Nice layout course in good shape definitely one to play if your in town

Another Bucket List Course Completed

Loved this course. Another beautiful American classic muni. Cool breezes off the bay kept us cool the entire round. Beautiful finishing stretch of holes from #16-18. Starter was friendly and got me on as a single on a Sunday afternoon with no problems. Would love to play this course again if ever back in San Diego/Coronado.

The green miles

Great course to walk with a pushcart the fairway
Is Solf and the green and the slopes is Challenging and the weather is perfect to play at anytime
Great restaurant and service to go with your day

Great course but....

i was walking and they made my girlfriend rent a cart. 100% money grab. cause she never moved faster than my walking pace. waste of a cart. their excuse was "we are the 7th busiest course in America" BFD i have been to much busier courses and never has my guest had to rent a cart when i was walking.

if a single do not talk to the pro shop for tee times. go straight to the Marshall in his shack. he will hook you up.

i do not think the pro shop likes out of towners. i mentioned i was from another state 1st time here and instead of being welcoming like most places they acted as if i was a pest. the Marshall/starter where as friendly as can be. giving me course pointers and such couldnt have been nicer.

Course itself is great. layout was great. conditions where as good as what you would imagine a California course to be. I highly recommend this course if you do not bring s guest. just pay the green fees and leave the pro shop. do not look them in the eye or smile. pro shop folks cant stand that.

Great fairways and tee boxes, greens in good shape.

Great conditions overall. Only problem is the pace of play. Great views of the bridge over the little bay, and a shipyard right next to the course. Good rates as well. Not Torrey Pines, but definitely a good course to play in the San Diego area.

Played Coronado.

Course was good to play. Vistas were amazing. Pace on Back 9 really slowed. Got Hit into a couple of times when pace slowed.
But, played with 2 good guys so had a fun day.
Thought a little pricey but then again "it's Coronado".
Pleasure to play once.

Beautiful, epic, and breathtaking views

It had been 3 years since I've been here. And I never remembered it to be this good, greens were perfect, fairways great and it was well manicured. This is such a nice course, only Torrey tops it here in San Diego. A must play course. Love it

Commented on 02/05/2018

Happy you enjoyed golfing at our course!

Commented on 02/05/2018

Happy you enjoyed golfing at our course!

Location, location, location...

Staff: the folks at the proshop were very helpful and friendly. They gave us lots of pointers and made us feel very welcome. The starter? Not so much. Here is why. I walked up to the starter to present my receipt. He is staring at his computer and says "what". I assumed maybe he was on the phone so I wait. He again says "what". Now I see that he is talking to me, but never bothers to make an eye contact. Mister personality must have woken up a cup of coffee short. I tell him why I'm there and he says (without looking at me) "you don't need to do that, I'll let you know". SMH.

The course condition is average with brown patches in the fairway and furry greens. The layout is interesting as it meanders along the point. The bunkers were wet and muddy (didn't expect that since the course is on the water). Overall, an enjoyable course with no elevation changes and severely undulated greens. The beauty of the course lies in the views it offers. The Coronado bridge, the Navy ship yards, the Coronado hotel, the colorful streams from private boats. There's plenty of eye candy to thoroughly dislocate you from your round. Overall a good track on a beautiful surrounding.

Mississippi Advisor

Maybe the Best Muni in America

When done right, municipal golf is America's best homage to the Scottish links tradition: low-cost, open to all, publicly owned, walker-friendly, and just a little quirky. Coronado checks those boxes and then some. The staff is friendly, and the vibe is unassuming. And the course itself is a blast: quirky without being absurd.

The best hole on the course is the par-5 15th, which it would be unfair to call a dogleg. It's more like a boomerang, winding rightward in a crescent for more than 500 yards. The ideal shot selection would be three slices, honestly.

No. 15 is a cute par 3 framed by the harbor, and the last three holes all play against the water. The 16th reminded me of the first hole at Nairn in Scotland.

Like a great links course, Coronado is a little rough around the edges, but by and large it is in terrific shape. I've been to San Diego a couple times now and have played more famous courses, but Coronado is the only one I'd be excited to play again.

The entire course was punched recently, so the greens are a little bumpy right now. It's still playable, but it'll be back together in a couple weeks. The course got some rain for a couple days after I played, and that probably helped close up the holes.

Boston Advisor

A real WOW!!

While on a golf trip to play Torrey Pines I had the pleasure to play Coronado as well. I was blown away. Great conditions and super course!! I was lucky to play with 3 members who were friendly and helpful, I'll actually stay in touch with these gentlemen and meet to play with them again. Course plays along the bay with a lot of holes with great views. Tee boxes, greens and staff all first class. Make sure if you get a chance to play here leave time for lunch and cold beverages at grill room. I had a salad that was fantastic!! Daily lunch specials and happy hour drink prices can't be beat. I'll get back here ASAP. I played 3 course in SD area and this one ranks with Torrey.

Very Enjoyable to play, great views

Coronado golf course on the island of Coronado, CA is one of the most heavily played courses in the U.S. For as much traffic as it gets, the course is in great shape. There are great views of Navy ships and the bay from all over the course. While only 5 or 6 of the holes are actually on the water, probably 16 of them have views of the bay. Great value too if you are willing to wait till 48 hours in advance to book. It's a pretty flat course as well so walking is easy, and with perfect mid-70's temperatures it's great weather to carry. We play this course every time we are in San Diego on vacation. One word of caution, be prepared for a 5+ hour round, especially if you play in the afternoon. But hey, if you're on vacation, what else do you have to do but be outside in the perfect San Diego weather?!?

Nice muni great views!

Played here as my wife got me a gift card for this course. Greens are immaculate and roll very true. Course is very walkable. There are a couple of holes that have two greens for some reason so you have to know which one is in play. Great views of San Diego bay. Pace of play is on the slow side but it is to be expected as that is a known thing about this course. Have a tee time or you can be here a while waiting to get on. Really enjoyed the course and the layout.

Great Course, Great Value.

I think this is a great value, perhaps the best value in the San Diego area. I play here every time I go to SD (annually).
The greens are good and the fairways are in reasonable shape. The track itself is fun and wraps around the island on the south side. Lots of great views from every hole.
It can be hard to get a tee time, but if you are a single just show up in the morning they will get you on. I have never waited more than 45 minutes to play.

Perfect - and cheap!

What a wonderful course. I showed up early in the morning as a singe, without a tee-time. The marine layer was still covering the sun, but it was comfortable. I got paired with a couple of the locals who played often, and could help direct me on some of the blind shots.

The course is almost totally flat, but the design is interesting - and takes the small hills to make a few blind shots testing.

The back nine is not to be missed, as the course plays along the water, where it almost reaches the Hotel del Coronado, and plays along the marina. The greens are subtle, but challenging.

Never Better

I played the Coronado Course for the first time and found this course to be in the best shape of any of the courses I've played this summer. The drought was so hard on most of the golf courses, but the Coronado Course was perfect. Very green and very few dry spots. I enjoyed my day and can't wait to play there again. I hope this help!!!!!!

My 2nd Course played, EVER !

As a 28 year old learning the game of golf for the first time (I am 62 now), I had the distinct pleasure to live and learn in the area of San Diego, Ca.
My wife's aunt lived on Coronado Island and in our trips there I learned of the Coronado Golf Club; you see it on your left side as you cross the Coronado Bay Bridge from S.D.
My first go round was with a group of guys who were collegiate golfers from Kansas; I was a beginner.
Sorry, I digress.
In any case, as time went forward, I came to play at Coronado at least three days a week. Typically we arrived at the course prior to daybreak, teed from # 1, once we saw the flag on the green. Played the front and payed the green fee as we made the turn.
The guys in the club house were, and I suppose are still, great!
This course is ALWAYS maintained to the highest standards. The greens crew are exceptional.
The views of the San Diego Bay and surrounding areas are spectacular. The Coronado Yacht Club can be viewed along the back nine as well as the Naval fleet and the training grounds of the SEAL TEAMS.
There is history here as well. The golf course opened to play on December 19th, 1957. On that day, Don Collett, Gene Littler, Paul Runyan, and Billy Casper played the inaugural round of 18 holes. IF you do not know these guys .....never mind.
IF you are in San Diego for any reason and have an opportunity to play golf, you have two choices; Torrey Pines and Coronado. PLAY BOTH if possible, if not play Coronado, you will be glad you did.

Defines "value" golf in America

For $35 you get a walkable muni that finishes along the San Diego Bay. (It's $30 during the week.) Critics will poke at the pace of play, but it has gotten better over the years, and for that green fee, and that setting, what's the rush?! San Diego is full of good public golf options, but Coronado is the perfect mix of non-pretentious clientele, foursomes of all ages, shapes and sizes, pull-carts, carry bags, and buckets of beer, with a courteous staff and satisfying food options. As I travel the country...the world...it's hard to find better value than Coronado.

National City, California