Rams Hill Golf Club

• 1881 Rams Hill Rd, Borrego Springs, California 92004, San Diego County
  • ramshillgolf.com

Year built: 1983
Architect(s): Ted Robinson, Sr. (1983), Tom Fazio (2007)
Type: Semi-Private/Resort
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"A Treat"

Sportnlyf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2018

Most of the courses I play are of a lower quality with correspondingly lower green fees. That said, this is a first rate course and once in a while I enjoy treating myself to the experience. As a senior golfer whose distance has gone down over the years, the white tees are suitable to me which is to say the greens are generally reachable and a two-putt will result in a par. What we do each year is book a stay and play reservation at the nearby Borrego Springs Resort where a room for the night and two days of play on a very course/layout for $219 for two guests. During our stay we get in a round at the more upscale and beautifully maintained Ram's Hill where the rack rates for a round are a little high for us compared to the "hot deal" offered by Golf Now. . .

Commented on 04/13/2018

Thank you Sportnlyf for the five star rating and review from your recent Rams Hill visit! We are happy to hear you had a great experience on your yearly golf getaway to the course. Hope to see you again soon!

"Beautiful"

Tinyfrannie09's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2018

Breathtaking views from every hole.

Staff all very attentive and polite. Absolutely one of the best courses my husband and I have golfed here in Southern California .

Only reason I gave them a 3 star rating was pace of play because we got behind a 24 man tournament(they were slow). Never saw a Marshall either. Course was so beautiful we couldn’t complain about anything.

Thank you to all the staff who greeted us with smiles no matter where we were.

Commented on 04/11/2018

Thank you Tinyfrannie09 for visiting us from Canada and making Rams Hill apart of your trip! We are pleased to hear our staff made your golf round an enjoyable one. We hope to see you again in the future.

"Worth the drive"

edsbeds's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Nice course nestled in the middle of no where. It's a moderate drive from San Diego so I would recommend that you look into stay/play or play when the weather is ideal.

Drove up for the day. Weather was 96 degrees and very windy. Friendly staff. Good food in clubhouse. Tee time was 10 am but was able to go out a bit earlier. Fairways, greens and sand were in great condition. Lots of water/ice on course. Probably the best I've played but I usually play Muni's so any $$$ courses would wow me.

Played from the whites. The par 4's were shorten which allowed for a low score. I would recommend playing early to avoid the wind. Back nine had ridiculous headwind which was frustrating but an experience in itself.

Overall, if you have the time and money, Rams Hills is a worth the drive.

Commented on 04/09/2018

Thank you edsbeds for the four star rating and review from your recent Rams Hill visit. We are pleased you could make the course a part of your weekend! Come back and visit us again soon.

"Bunkers need work"

Mulligan11257849's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018

This course is one of my favourites. I have played it many times. The greens and fairways are great however the bunkers are in bad shape. It seems to me that conditioning is sliding a bit.

"Earns the rating in the top 50 in the US."

Keith5326564's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2018

Yes, it does live up to the hype. This course is literally in the middle of nowhere, 90 minutes from even one of the remotest airports and it still cracks the top 20 in the country. Fantastic track perfectly maintained with an excellent clubhouse serving top notch food. Staff is the friendliest you can find. We went off as a 2-ball at 9 AM following 3 groups from the ladies club and never had to wait for more that 2 minutes and only 2 or 3 times at that. This course is magical and if you haven't played it you had best put it in your bucket list and hit it up SOON! They have a pretty good special rate on golfnow for $125. The time is right. Make your plans and come on out. Allow me to recommend La Casa de Zorro for your stay. With such great accommodations and great golf you think you died and went to golf heaven.

Commented on 04/06/2018

Oh you WILL see me again, ladies and gentlemen. My family and friends saw my post with pics on FB and they're all asking me to plan another trip. This time I may be bringing more golfers with me. Worth the trip. Worth the money.

Commented on 04/05/2018

Thank you Keith5326564 for the five star rating and review from your recent visit at Rams Hill on your golf getaway weekend. Hope to see you hit the greens with Rams Hill again soon!

"Golf course and staff are excellent"

Diceman1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2018

For me you can learn a lot about the golf course by the staff. At Rams Hill the staff go out of their way to make sure that you have everything you need!

That all starts at the top with Mike Setchell!

Golf Course is excellent like the staff. The greens roll true golf Course is well kept the bunkers are always raked the experience was awesome. Thank you Rams Hill for a great golf experience !!!

Commented on 04/05/2018

Thank you Diceman1 for the five star rating and review from your visit! We are pleased to hear our staff and Mike were very helpful! We strive for great customer service at Rams Hill. Hope to see you hit the greens again in the near future.

"Rams Hill Rocks!"

golf29r's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2018

I can't say enough about how good this course is and how well run to provide a great golf experience. We flew in from Colorado for an easter weekend golf trip as we had heard this is a must visit course. What a treat to play a public Fazio golf course with super clubhouse facilities and well organized golf staff to make sure you enjoy your day. We appreciated the friendly head golf professional Mike Setchell and told him we will be back next year as this course is a blast to play.

Commented on 04/05/2018

Thank you golf29r for the wonderful five star review and letting Rams Hill be apart of your golf getaway weekend! We are pleased to hear you and your group had a great time at Rams Hill including experiencing our staff's customer service. See you again next year!

"Rams Hill Golf Club is fantastic"

Cmccoum's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2018

This was my first trip to the Rams Hill Golf Club. Having played several desert courses over the years, Rams Hill stands out as a first rate golf experience. The Fazio design is a challenging, fun, and a fair layout for golfers of all skill levels. In addition, the club’s outstanding staff is there to make your experience special in every way. I plan to return again on my next trip to California.

Commented on 04/05/2018

Thank you Cmccoum for the five star rating and review from your recent visit to Rams Hill. Thank you for making Rams Hill a part of your California trip! We hope to see you again soon in the near future.

"Rams Hill Review"

mccourtj's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2018

I'm a first timer to Rams Hill, and it was a treat. The course is wonderfully manicured, pristine greens, plenty of fairway and green side bunkers, and water hazards along some of the fairways. The course is challenging and it will test your abilities to place the ball whether driving or chipping. Get off the fairway or misplace your drive even within the fairway, the course will challenge your next shots, especially from fairway traps. The weather was hot, 85-95 degrees, and it was nice to have ice machines with water at several places along the 18 holes course. The course was green all around, no dead spots, and with the exceptionally hot weather it was surprising to see the course so lush and well maintained. The club house is exceptional as well, with a restaurant, outside patio with deck tables and chairs and evening fire pits and mist sprayers and the whole experience was entirely pleasant. I recommend the course to anyone looking to get away for a fine golfing weekend.

One other note as to the fine golf host and pro. Mike Setchell went beyond providing a welcoming and friendly atmosphere. He was accommodating at every turn. He took extra time and effort to make sure we were pleased with our experience. Thanks Mike for a great time, and I'll definitely be back for another round or two!!

Commented on 04/05/2018

Thank you mccourtj for letting Rams Hill be a part of your golf trip and visiting us from Colorado! We are very pleased to hear you had an amazing experience from our staff to the amenities and the course design. We hope to see you again very soon!

"Beautiful course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Second time playing here. The weather is getting hot but better than the extremely windy conditions in January.

Only improvement would be better cart path markings to the next tees.

Commented on 04/02/2018

Thank you u250123463 for the five star rating and review from your recent visit to Rams Hill! We hope to see you again soon this season.

"Nice course and friendly staff"

d474979g's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2018

Nothing wrong to say, expect for tough greens with a lot of slope.

Commented on 03/29/2018

Thank you d474979g for the five star rating and review! We hope to see you again soon at Rams Hill!

kenbanff's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2018

"Good but not worth the drive"

uXFIJ8857XF's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2018

Not sure what all the hype is here. Reviewers keep using the word spectacular, and while it is a good, even possibly great, desert course, the question you have to ask yourself, is “ is it worth the 90 minute drive from Palm Springs”? There was no real “ wow “ factor here for us, just a good track with excellent conditions. The starter was very friendly and even let us go out as a five. From there the service became non- existent. No cart girl, limited signage, no turn shack that was obvious after 9. A marshall directed us down a hill after 9 to a different snack shack. Lo and behold, no sandwiches, not even a hot dog! Just drinks and chips, and even that was shutting down at 4 pm. I think they have trouble staffing the place because it is so remote. Word of advice...bring in your. own food or order something to go before your round. The rates were reasonable since we had twilight. If you lived nearby, it would be a great course to play, but if you’re in Palm Springs, why drive to the middle of nowhere?

Commented on 04/06/2018

I can't understand why someone would not recommend this course to a friend. Yes, it's remote. But it is a classic Fazio design maintained exquisitely and staffed by the most friendly people. People are driving a MINIMUM of 90 minutes from the nearest metro area/airport to play this course. THOSE people are using the superlatives to describe this course. THAT tells you something that I guess you can't figure out if your from the Can.

"Great Course"

Randy2603985's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2018

a great example of desert golf, and the designer put the sand traps in great spots which made drives and green approaches challenging. well done.

I'd have to say one of the only (minor) complaints would be the absence of signage throughout the course. would be nice to see some tee markers and some directional signs.

Commented on 03/26/2018

Thank you Randy2603985 for the four star review and course feedback from your recent visit at Rams Hill. We appreciate your thoughts on your recent round on how the course can improve and let the correct department informed. Hope to see you again soon at Rams Hill!

"Great Fazio design"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2018

This is a great course if you are anywhere near Borrego Springs. The greens were as pure of a surface I have ever putted on. The fairways and rough were perfect. My only complaint were the bunkers. They were generally good but it appeared it had been some time that they had been raked up.

The only other thing you need to be careful if is wind conditions. It got so windy on back 9 it was almost unplayable. Check the weather and wind before you book. Otherwise this is a Jen of a course!

Commented on 03/20/2018

Thank you u4775814 for the five star rating and feedback regarding your recent visit at Rams Hill! We are happy to hear you had a great time and hope to see you again soon this season.

"We’ll be back"

Donald4321132's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/12/2018

Beautiful course, challenging but fair. Ate dinner afterwards and it was excellent.

Commented on 03/14/2018

Thank you Donald4321132 for the five star review and rating from your recent visit to Rams Hill! See you again soon!

"Can't get enough of this course"

whitneygladstone's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2018

We have been playing Rams Hill, since it opened. It is open of the best courses in Southern California. It is worth the drive.

Commented on 03/13/2018

Thank you whitneygladston for being a loyal golfer to Rams Hill! We always enjoy seeing feedback and reviews from our golfers. We hope to see you again soon at Rams Hill!

"WOW really good"

Nash3500578's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2018

Place is special and could become a nice little desert getaway with a few more courses and some nice options for stays

Course is beautifully designed and cared for with a staff that is attentive and food to die for. Greens rolled true and fast. Almost all fairways were looking good and pure for some good So Cal winter action

Commented on 03/05/2018

Thank you Nash3500578 for the wonderful five star review from your recent visit to Rams Hill! We hope to see you hit the greens with us again this season.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2018

"Great condition"

Jim8799883's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2018

Rams is very well layed out and in excellent condition the elevation changes and use of natural desert is spectacular

Commented on 03/05/2018

Thank you Jim8799883 for the five star review and rating from your recent tee time with us! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience at Rams Hill. We hope to see you again soon!