Rams Hill Golf Club

• 1881 Rams Hill Rd, Borrego Springs, California 92004
  • ramshillgolf.com

Year built: 1983
Architect(s): Ted Robinson, Sr. (1983), Tom Fazio (2007)
Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Best Fairways Anywhere"

upanddown4par's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Absolutely would recommend Rams Hill to any golfer and I'm already planning my return visit.

This course as a terrific combination of excellent design and top-notch course conditions. These were the best fairways I have seen in a long time, and the greens were fast and true.

Along with the conditioning, the layout here is challenging but fair. There are generous fairways encouraging you to hit your driver on all the Par 4s and Par 5s, and then the green complexes are just terrific. They make great use of bunkering, mounds, tiers, and subtle elevation change. Greens are big but getting close to the pin will take a great shot.

We also rented the Golfboards for an extra fee and they were a lot of fun. The course was empty by mid-afternoon, and we got around 9 extra holes on the Golfboards in 1hr 12 min.

Commented on 03/10/2016

Thank you so much for coming and playing. We appreciate all the great feedback, and we're glad you had such a great time!

"Wow, what a gem!"

Mpate's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2018

I found this course online and have read many positive reviews about it. My wife and I were in the Palm Springs area and decided to make the 1 1/2 trek out to the course. The trip out there was a bit concerning, As the highway is in good condition but the road we turned onto from the highway about 30 minutes prior to arriving the was pretty bumpy and broken up. It wasn’t long until we were back on fresh pavement, but now we’re we going through a state park that had many dune buggies and dirt bikes enjoying the rugged terrain. Once we made it to the course we were happy to see the high quality finishing of the clubhouse and practice area as well as the quality of the first hole. We played the golf course and kept marveling that such a wonderful golf course was in this interesting location. There are amazing views of the mountains and the way the course is desinged you feel that you are in a different place from where you have come from. The holes have lots of variety, elevation change and visual excitement. It is by far my favourite course I have ever played in the Palm Springs area. I can’t wait to make it back!

Commented on 02/20/2018

Thank you Mpate for the five star rating and review from your recent visit with us! We are glad you made the trip out to the course from Calgary. Rams Hill hopes to see you again in the near future!

"Rams Hill awesome"

jewett2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

The course was in great shape and the views spectacular. Excellent customer service / friendly, professional staff.

Commented on 02/20/2018

Thank you jewett2 for the five star and review from your recent visit at Rams Hill! We hope to see you again on the greens this season.

Murio's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2018

"A Super Fun Track....out in the middle of nowhere !"

Alex326's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2018

I kept hearing a bunch of hoopla about some course called Rams Hill. Seeing some great reviews on GK I told myself I need to play it and see what it's all about. One slight problem. The course is waaaaay out in the middle of nowhere. It's about halfway between San Diego and Palm Springs. Not a bad drive if you live in either of those places but a heck of a haul from Northern Califirnia. With so many great options at both locations, Rams Hill just never made the list on any of the So Cal golf trips.

Johnny GK gave me an invite and when the MAN himself invites you, you make the trip.

And let me tell you it Was worth every minute of the drive!!

The course had everything that I like in a track: elevation changes, multiple water hazards, great playing conditions, and excellent customer service.

Per my intel this used to be two private courses that is now one "resort" style course. Greens were spacious that offered some fun challenges but gentle enough to give up a handful of birdies to the group (sadly none to me).

Fairways are wide enough that errant shots can usually be found in the first cut of rough which was thick but manageable.

The water hazards are off to the side with hole 11 having a river/stream flowing down the entire left side. It's probably my favorite hole on the course. There are no forced carries over any of the water hazards which takes a couple points off the design For me but not that big of a deal breaker.

The views are amazing and all in all the layout is awesome with a number of fun holes. Most holes are fairly straight with only a couple of severe dog leg holes.

There have been some recent articles about Rams Hill being the third best resort course behind Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hill. Whereas I can't say that I agree with that statement (there are just so many great courses in California) I can say that Rams Hill is Definitely, definitely worth the drive and a fun track.

I did have several issues with the website, but that may have been a compatibility issue with my iPad.

Commented on 02/14/2018

Thank you Alex326 for taking the time to write a great four star rating and course feedback. We strive to make each golfer's experience a memorable one. We hope to see you hit the greens at Rams Hill this season.

dalawyr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

A long ride to get there. Once there it was well worth it. Course is beautiful, in excellent condition and very playable even though it was very windy. Staff was very friendly and helpful. A magnificent golf course in the middle of nowhere. A course you would like to play every day.

Commented on 02/12/2018

Thank you dalawyr for the five star review and rating! We hope to see you again soon in 2018!

"Loved this course!"

SpikeSumner's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

My wife and I played it for the first time. Very windy conditions, which sounds like a little unusual. We both found a lot of sand traps - but that was on us. Course conditions were excellent, beautiful setting, and we will go back

Commented on 02/12/2018

Thank you SpikeSumner for the five star review and course feedback! We enjoy hearing how great of a time our golfers have at Rams Hill. Hope to see you and your wife again at Rams Hill again this season.

"Rams Hill Golf Course"

cyclonicman's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2018

Everything you read about this course is true. It is one of most beautiful golf courses I have ever played. The vistas surrounding you as you play are breathtaking and it only adds to the golfing experience of this perfectly maintained Course. The greens were perfect and ran true. Sand bunkers had sand in them and not packed dirt. The fairways are awesome and plenty wide in most cases. This doesn't mean Rams Hill is not challenging because it is, but it is a fair golf course that every golfer will enjoy! I am looking forward to my next round here.

Commented on 02/08/2018

Thank you cyclonicman for the five star rating! We are pleased to hear your expectations were met to the fullest on your recent visit at the course. We hope to see you again soon at Rams Hill in the near future!

"First Visit"

nygs07's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/03/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Very interesting layout with strong terrain influences.

Big panorama views of the Valley. Interesting and challenging greens. Elegant Clubhouse facilities

Commented on 02/14/2018

Thank you nygs07 for making the trip to Rams Hill from Boston! We appreciate the five star review and rating. We are happy to hear you had a great time on the course. See you again soon at Rams Hill!

"Wonderful!!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2018

Loved everything.... such a beautiful facility and Course.

Commented on 01/31/2018

Thank you u289825894 for the five star rating and review! We hope to see you again at Rams Hill!

"FATASTIC"

uMCDF5264MC's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/24/2018

The most beautiful course we has found in years. lots of challenge not a fairway or green that was flat or boring . Had a great time plus as a bonus the staff treated us like old friends. WILL PLAY AGAIN !!!

Commented on 01/26/2018

Thank you uMCDF5264MC for the five star rating and review from your recent visit! We enjoy seeing our Canadian friends enjoy the course as much as we do! Hope to see you again hit the greens at Rams Hill again soon.

"Fantastic Course"

JustHaveFun's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/23/2018

This course was a standout. The fairways and rough are vibrant green and lush. There weren't any bare lies on the course, and in January that is quite the achievement. The fairways are wide, but there are lots of strategic bunkers placed in the landing areas that make you think on each tee shot. The greens had good speed and rolled very nicely. There is some slope on the greens, but every putt I had was fair. The course will challenge your game, but I would describe it as a fair challenge. I didn't play well but managed to score decently. There is lots of elevation change on both tee shots and approach shots. Like other Fazio courses I have played in the past, there are some holes where you can use the slopes and contours around the green to feed the ball back towards the hole. It is quite the journey out here from San Diego, but it is definitely worth it. If this course was located in a more densely populated area it would be in all of the Top 100 course publications.

Commented on 01/26/2018

Thanks JustHaveFun for the five star rating and course feedback from your recent visit to Rams Hill. We are happy to hear you had a great time and hope to see you again this season on the greens.

"Well, it is breathtaking"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/23/2018

Life happens and we arrived at 8:47 for our 9:00 time.

We were prepaid so got our cart and were at the tee by 8:51. I said “good morning!” To the starter who, on learning our name/time said “Well, you’re FINALLY here.” Bla bla..

So.. First tee of a NEW course I’ve looked forward to since last winter and I get a snobbish “you’re late” attitude.

We stood around on the number one tee for quite awhile after introductions, instructions, and tips before teeing up. There was no hurry.

How long does it take YOU to get over that?

Oh, the course is very nice. The attitude.. I can get that at the Muni from the former pro.

Commented on 01/24/2018

Thank you for taking the time to write in a four star review from your recent visit at Rams Hill! We appreciate the insight from our golfer's course experience. See you again on the greens in 2018!

"Magnificent"

rjb7911's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2018

It is hard to believe that a course this beautiful is in Borrego Springs. As with many Tom Fazio designs, it is fairly generous off the tee but a lot more challenging as you approach the greens. Excellent conditions, a great mix of short and long holes, it flows very well. The greens, in particular, are wonderful. I had played here once before and the pace was not good at all - much better this time - about 4:10. You want to be able to enjoy the views and calculate the best way to play each hole.

Commented on 01/18/2018

Thank you rjb7911 for visiting Rams Hill from Arizona. We are pleased to hear your second visit had a better pace. We appreicate the five star review and course feedback from your recent visit. Hope to see you hit the greens at Rams Hill again this season.

jtew2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/13/2018

Commented on 01/18/2018

Thank you jtew2 for the five star rating!

"Fantastic course in the middle of nowhere!"

srose007's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/11/2018

The condition of the course was immaculate and the staff was top-notch. I don't understand why they put this course in the middle of nowhere but I recommend playing it at least once!

Commented on 01/16/2018

Thank you srose007 for the wonderful five star review! We are glad your expectations were met on your visit. We take pride on great feedback hearing our golfer's experience. See you again in 2018!

Commented on 01/16/2018

Thank you srose007 for the five star review and course feedback from your recent visit at Falconhead! Hope to see you again hitting the greens this season!

"Great Experience Don't Miss It"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/10/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Other than we picked the only day SoCal had rain and wind since last Feb the experience was fantastic.

Will return to play again when I know there won't be wind

Commented on 01/15/2018

Thank you u250123463 for the five star rating and course review from your recent visit at Rams Hill! We are happy to hear the weather didn't turn you away.. Hope to see you again in 2018!

"Rams Hill"

nickesquire's avatar
California Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/07/2018

Played the Blues (6369/70.9/131) with Ron, Matt and Brian in the GK Plays in 4H, 20M. Overcast and calm in the 70's, excellent golf weather.

Tom Fazio design, I like the course layout, I can see the high slope rating. Concerning course conditions, everything was in the 9-10 out of 10 range across the board.

The tees were lush and very well maintained. Large, level with few divots, mowed down close, near immaculate.

The fairways were lush with few divots. A couple of discolored areas but still excellent overall.

The rough was also very lush. Thick and even though the ball usually sat up, long enough to make longer clubs a chancy play. Get outside the maintained rough and the native rough is lost ball thick.

The sand traps were nicely maintained with good quality sand. I don't see how a public course in a windy area could maintain their traps any better, and there are close to 100 of them total on this course.

The greens were firm, smooth, medium fast and rolled well. Perhaps not as pristine as prior visits, but still excellent overall.

The customer service was excellent. The pro shop staff, Starter, Marshall and Drink cart were all excellent to deal with. Had a salad after the round, efficient, friendly service. The setup of the all grass driving range with the complementary Pro-V range balls is top notch. Most of the range is sand, with numerous grass greens set up as targets in 25-30 yard increments so you could hit almost any club and feel like you were hitting into a green.

Many holes are visually intimidating with 97 well placed traps and a decent amount of water. Four different sets of tees for men, all varied by 400-500 yards. The course was fair, not overly tight and an excellent test of golf. Definitely recommended.

Commented on 01/08/2018

Thank you nickesquire for the excellent course feedback regarding your recent visit at Rams Hill. We appreciate your insight and are pleased to hear you had a great time. We hope to see you again teeing off at Rams Hill in 2018.

Bwallis87's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/01/2018

Commented on 01/08/2018

Thank you Bwallis87 for the five star rating! We hope to see you again at Rams Hill soon!

"Requires a few additions to be great"

GolferTom67's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2017

We booked a two-some on GolfNow based on comments I read on Golf Advisor. The course conditions and level of difficulty were as expected - excellent.We and to drive 1.5 hours to get to the course so we had reasonable expectations that we would receive similar service as we do at the Palm Springs area courses who are charging similar rates. We played with a couple who have played there many times and it was a good thing we did since there are no GPS systems on the golf carts and no yardage books offered in the pro shop. For a course this challenging and charging a high-end price, a golfer would expect that the carts would be equipped with GPS and the course would provide you with a yardage book. In order to compete with similar courses in the Palm Springs area they should visit them and see what is provided for a similar +$100 green fee. I will recommend this course to friends but will inform them of this so they can make up their own minds if they want to drive the extra distance for less service.

Commented on 01/02/2018

Thank you GolferTom67 for the review and feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We hope to see you in the New Year for great golf at Rams Hill!

"An outstanding golf adventure."

EGL01's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/21/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

The adventure began at 3:30 am from Orange County arriving at the Rams Hill course just before 7am. We were cordially greeted and directed to the Practice range. The range was stocked with Pro V-1 golf balls stacked in a pyramid as well as hand held range finders at each station. As we were warming up Mike, the manager of the course, greeted us and brought us our carts loaded and ready to go. He was very friendly and welcomed us to the Club as though we were special guests. He gave us an overview of the amenities and pointed us towards the first hole when we were finished warming up.

I have never been to a course as well kept as Rams Hill. Even in the dead of winter the fairways were dark green and perfectly manicured. The greens although very challenging were absolutely perfect. The course has a number of strategically placed bunkers of varying heights, each filled with perfectly raked, white fluffy sand. They seemed to attract the ball quite often due to the slope.

It was cool in the morning but warmed up as we played. The last few holes it began to get a little windy. We finished a little before noon and stopped for lunch at the club house. Food was great and the staff was cordial and professional. We decided that since we had come such a long distance we were going to play another 18. Staff changed out our cart so we wouldn't get stranded.

The wind was a little cool and challenging but towards the 2nd nine it calmed down. We finished the last hole just at dusk. As we finished, staff members came out and cleaned our clubs. Mike greeted us again and thanked us for visiting the course.

Playing this course was truly an adventure and a once in a lifetime experience. I belong to a private club and have not experienced a more professional and friendly staff. We were treated as though we were PGA tour players. Thanks for a great time. We will be back.

Commented on 01/02/2018

Thank you EGL01 for the five star rating and course feedback on your recent visit to Rams Hill. We hope to see you hit the greens again the New Year!