A sunny day view of a well protected hole at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa.
2.4

Ojai Valley Inn And Spa

Year Built 1923
Fairways Kikuyu Grass
Greens Kikuyu Grass
Architect George C. Thomas, Jr. (1923) William P. Bell (1923) Jay Morrish (1988)

Caddies Yes

Meeting Facilities, Conference Facilities, Banquet Facilities, Spa, Locker Rooms

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Tennis

Nice course layout but the Greens... Maybe the worst I’ve ever seen

This is a nice course and nice atmosphere... but the greens... all I can say is these might be the worst set of greens I’ve ever seen on any course. Seriously, they might be the poorest greens of any course in the entire state lol. I think they’re diseased or something. There’s also two temporary greens. For the $109 price I would skip. They also don’t tell you any of this before playing which is kind of sleazy. They need to get it together at this place.

W T F

I can’t believe the terrible conditions at one my favorite golf courses. Greens are dry and slow. How did they do that ? Fairways are patchy and temporary greens on holes is a joke.

relaxed

a few golfers there that pace was great. And also off course settings were very relaxed. Friedly staffs.
The only thing is 2 holes had temporary greens with poor condition. Still recommend this course though.

Great course! Horrible Greens.

First time visiting this course and wow is it stunning! Staff could not have been more friendly and cannot wait to play my next round here and make a weekend out of staying there.

My one complaint were the greens. They were an absolute mess. Dirt patches all over. I realize it could just be end of the season and they are redoing them, so it is not something that would stop me from coming back.

Greens

The greens where in bad shape. You could not get a true roll. They damaged the greens not worth the 119.00 you are charged to play there.

Greens Need TLC

The views, layout, and staff are all wonderful. The greens however, were not. There were at least 2 greens that were unplayable. Not sure if it was just bad timing but for the cost the course is not worth it unless they fix those greens.

Excellent course overall.

Really enjoyed the course. Loved all of the elevation changes between the tee boxes and fairways/greens. The fairways and greens were soft. The main drawback was that most of the front nine greens were in pretty bad shape, turf wise. I’m not sure if it was a disease or burned out from the sun but it made putting decently a little rough. Other than that, had a great time.

Y’all have to have a disclaimer about the greens or charge less

I’ve always loved OVI. Played there several years, pace of play is excellent, great staff, course is always in solid shape. However, right the greens are badly diseased and you don’t know quite how bad until you get out there. Back 9 is in better shape, but still not good. Soule Park greens are running great right now.

For a hot deal at $67 is the absolute most you should pay for this course right now, it’s simply not as much fun because you get up to the green and your ball your could go anywhere. For folks paying $109 or more, don’t, until they get the greens fixed, you should call ahead. I’m really surprise OVI is charging what they are whole the greens are this bad, I feel bad for the superintendent honestly bc the greens here are usually top notch.

Sorry y’all, get better soon :/

Some good, some very bad

While the staff is friendly, the service was embarrassing at the turn...I purchased some beverages for the back 9 (it was a very hot day) and asked for a bag of ice for them...They gave me a SMALL PAPER BAG with about 10 small ice cubes..weird...
I have never seen greens in worse condition than this place..and I’m talking the worst greens I’ve ever seen.
This course is pretty expensive especially compared to Soule Park right next door which is very inexpensive and very well kept (and super fun)...
I’m sorry but I was very disappointed with Ojai Valley golf. Just not worth it. Lesson learned

Beautiful Scenery - Check the forecast

This was my first time playing the course. It was absolutely beautiful. One thing I did not do is check the weather and was not prepared for the temperature in the triple digits(106-109 F degrees). I will definitely play again in the cooler season.

Chiming in on the Greens, and Current course conditions

As others have noted, the greens are rough, including several on the front nine that are almost unplayable. They've been given a "skin graft" of new turf and it hasn't grown in yet. All of the greens, including the seemingly less infected or unaffected ones on the back nine, are much slower than normal, likely because of a recent top dressing and run-over with that machine that cuts the turf for maintenance. So I would have been bummed if I had paid anywhere near full price for my round. This issue will likely be resolved over time as they are obviously trying to fix them.

This the first time I'd played the course in almost 20 years. I had remembered it as a classic test of golf in fine condition. As of now, be it Covid or other issues, that isn't really the case. On the plus side, I was the only one on the front nine when I played - literally only me, one person. So having a beautiful course to oneself in beautiful Ojai on a Summer's day was pretty ideal. Maybe cashflow has something to do with the not tip-top condition. Not sure why they wouldn't reduce rates to encourage more play. Twice as many people paying half as much is the same, isn't it? Maybe they want to keep people off while it heals.

The fairways and surroundings, while certainly adequate, were not as lush and nice as I remembered. Seemed to be watering less. The front nine has many short holes with blind shots over various ravines to small greens. Didn't like it as much as I remembered. The back nine has about six outstanding holes - some of the nicest in Socal for interest, design, and scenic beauty. They obviously were done at a later time by a different architect than the front. I could have spent all day on the back. In general, the design retains some of its historic interest, but the course layout, in terms of rough, trees, traps, obstacles etc. seems to have been dumbed down a little for resort players.

I drove up to Ojai as an end-of-summer treat. While I was disappointed in the conditions, the fact that I was basically out there by myself in beautiful Ojai, cart and all the free range balls you can hit (off grass) included, made it still a great day.

Greens are in rough shape. They know, and are working on it.

Lack of full disclosure

Things happen, I get that, but to not be transparent about it is UNACCEPTABLE!

When I arrived at the course and dropped my bag off, no notice about course conditions being poor. When I went to the pro shop and paid for my round, no conversation by staff about poor course conditions.

When I was putting my clubs on the cart, someone came up and complained to the starter about the greens. When I inquired as to what was wrong, I was then told that the greens were damaged due to unforseen issues while spraying them. It's likely that two to three greens will need to be totally replaced.

Why wasn't I informed about this before I paid for my round!? Because they were afraid I would not pay to play. This is just poor customer service! I will not play there again. They are dishonest.

Ojai, California