Polo Trace

This golf course is closed for business. Not true? Let us know.
Looking for other options nearby?

Dress code: Proper golf attire is required, collared shirts only, slacks/shorts, no denim permitted.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Champion 72 7068 yards 74.6 139
Back 72 6632 yards 71.9 134
Member 72 6068 yards 70.2 128
Forward 72 5099 yards 70.4 125

Editor's Note: Course closed for business in 2018.

Situated just minutes from historic downtown Delray Beach, Polo Trace Golf Club is one of south Florida's premier golf courses. It is a links-style layout that plays over 7,000 yards, making it the perfect place for long hitters. Karl Litten, a well known name in south Florida golf, designed the course as closely as possible to the traditional links courses of the British Isles while staying true to the landscape. The layout features long, rolling fairways and dramatic elevation changes from tee to green. The golf course incorporates elements of Florida golf into its links design, such as the presence of water hazards on 13 holes, an unprecedented occurrence on Scottish courses but a typical characteristic of those in Florida. Polo Trace is popular for offering a challenging layout at an affordable price.

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include water hazards forced carries bunkers

"Cows would not graze on this pasture"

cdwag's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2018

The course conditions are the worst I have ever played. There were more weeds than grass. The greens were full of weeds and had not been cut or rolled.

They told us the course is closing within the month (didn't tell us until AFTER we played). They had the guts to charge us $50. Stay away. Save your money.

Friendly staff. Nice club house. Poor playing conditions. What a waste of money!

"Thoroughly Disappointing"

ruggerdad's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2015

Polo Trace had been recommended to me by a friend who played it a couple of years ago. I told him to not waste his time again. The "fairways" were weedy, traps in desperate need of fresh sand and the greens covered in ball marks. The shocking part of this is this was the day of their club championship. This was the best they could do for their members. The practice facilities were minimal. The driving range is abbreviated and if there is more than 2 on the practice green it's crowded. If the course were properly maintained it would be playable as the layout was challenging. But as of now I will not return even at summer rates.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"This course needs better management."

seethrough's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2015

My wife and I were invited for a round by members of Polo Trace. The condition of the course was fair at best with poor fairway and green care. The price per round is quite high as compared to other semi public courses in Palm Beach county. The pace of play was slow because of poor tee time organization. When we made the turn to play the back there were two foursomes waiting on the box, one foursome in the fairway and one one the green. We explained to the ranger at the tenth hole that we did not have the time to play at least a five hour round and we requested a rain check for nine holes. He felt that was reasonable. We drove back to the clubhouse and to our surprise my wife was told by the manager John Biancco that no credit would be given and it's too bad you can't play your back nine. He was also quite rude in tone to my wife. My purpose of writing this review is to steer other golfers away from a course that is managed this poorly especially a public course where all should have the opportunity to play 18 in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure the owners and members of this club would benefit by reading my review and correcting the poor management in place at Polo Trace.

"Nice layout and good greens"

bh4133's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2014

Overall the course was in very good condition. I definitely think that it is one of the better public courses in SE Florida.

"Polo Trace"

garyv47's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Course was reasonably challenging and was generally in good condition. Tee boxes were a little poor and the greens, though in good condition, were pretty slow. Played at a special rate of $29 and this was a good value at this price, but I wouldn't pay any more than this to play this course. Many other courses in the area that are just as good and a better value.

"Nice Layout and scenery..."

TaorminaSicily's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/21/2014
First time playing Played as a single Walked Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

On a scale of 0 to 10, I give a 7 on layout and scenery.<br/> For condition I give a 4, crabgrass and clover on most all of the tee boxes, the greens rolled below average, fairways below average, this place is crying to be bought out and have a few million invested, I played on a Sunday at Noon and the place was very quiet, maybe 15 cars in the lot... I payed $25 with a Hot Deal, this is NOT a premium golf experience due to the poor conditioning, Osprey Point is a solid 8+, this Polo can't hold its socks up! Way better value and experience, and half the price at most times...

"3 stars"

tjw1029's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather Verified Purchaser

Got a good hot deal rate on golf now so decided to give this course a try. In peak season, i noticed that this course was at a higher price point and included range balls, which is typically of a higher quality tier course. Range balls are not included in the off season. Not too many cars in the parking lot so we assumed we could get 18 holes in in about 2.5 hours, but we had a 45m to an hour rain delay, and a stubborn 4some that would quit halfway through holes just to stay in front of us instead of letting us through (typical old men of florida) so it took us 4 hours to play. The clubhouse and pro shop was nice, but only one thing stuck out to me was the ripped awning so that alone gets the fair rating on facilities. The course was no up to par in my book, but played okay. It couldn't be beat for the price at least. I compare all of the area courses to osprey point, and no public courses can hold a candle to it, not even the PGA national courses. The grounds need to be kept up better in my opinion. greens were ok but not my favorite style grass. I did, however, really enjoy the layout, just wish I played better. A good start with easy warmup holes and wedge par 3s. The 18th is a killer, especially if you can only drive the ball 250, leaving a 200 yard shot over water, BRUTAL! but fun. Overall, I'd probably visit this course again, but not unless I got the same or cheaper price and its not a course I would tell a friend that they had to play.

"Not what I expected"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I played this course 20 years ago, then a links course, it was a lot more challenging. With that said it's still a nice track. Your tee ball is very important, especially when you to carry water hazards.

"good challenge"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

greens were in good shape; but the conditions of the course is not a good as when I played it before. some t boxes were bare and there were weeds in the fairways. the course layout can be a challenge for the high handicapper. did enjoy some of the elevated t boxes.

"A beautiful tough nut"

Touriz12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2014
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

A beautiful course right next to the everglades with very few condos impeding the view, I played white tees (6100 yds) as a single and zipped around except I was bidding on a condo in Bay Area and the staff even helped me at the turn get my docusign doc using their desktop - my offer was accepted. This is a true test with a variety of memorable holes finished off by fair, well manicured greens.

"Great layout"

peeairerobert's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The greens and fairways were in average to good condition, but what made this round memorable was the course architecture. The course has an abundance of trees, water, and other vegetation that made the course pleasing to the eye. There also was good variation in the hole layouts that made the round interesting.

"In the weeds!"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2014

Weird turf, tricked up. Been there done that.<br/> Old and tired.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Challenging course... HOT day!"

Comediangarywest's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2014

This is a very well laid out, high quality golf experience. Fast greens, long par fours when from the back tees, quite a bit of water. A challenging course which was made harder by the 109' heat index on the day I played. Great price offered through Golfnow enticed me to take a shot at this recommended course.

"solid course in a bit of scruffy shape"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2014

The staff member who greeted me at my car to take my clubs was friendly the pro shop personnel were more dismissive you could tell that this was the low season and they did not have their A game on. The course was in decent shape the Greens rolled fairly well although were a bit slow and the fairways were also in decent condition. I would say they are doing a pretty good job given all the rain we have had. Sprinklers came on two of the greens on the back nine just before I played the holes and had a negative effect on my play on those holes but otherwise no major complaints. some of the drives from green to t are very pretty on this course very scenic and pleasant crossing bridges over canals etc....

"Not like as reputation"

youngfatlecher's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather Verified Purchaser

I came to this place with some expectation. Because a lot of peoples who played at this course told me that Pole trace is a sort of class. But at that day as I played wasn't good as I expected. Of course I wonder whether it come by bad rainy weather or by routine maintenance. Green was not fast as I expect and all fairway was covered with holes of aeration.<br/> It may better on sunny day.

"This is pretty course. The water and landscaping combine to make it enjoyable to play."

sultanofsales's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

I enjoy this course. The threat of rain meant our twosome had the course to ourselves. The greens were recently punched so that was a bit of a problem but that is something every course has to do at some point.

"Always wanted to play"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2014

For a first timer this course offers some good challenges

"Tee box"

Shevock's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 9 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Great lay out. Once you play it and know where to hit shots ,would make it more enjoyable ! Tee boxes need some work !

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"beautiful"

Giovanni1496203's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

What a nice and restful round, beautiful surroundings with no homes

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Polo Trace"

u000005201723's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2014

This is an excellent semi-private course and a good challenge at golf. Lots of water, lots of sand and several choices of tees. I will certainly revisit this track