1.3
1 reviews

Editor's Note: Course closed for business in 2018. Situated just minutes from historic downtown Delray Beach, Polo Trace Golf Club is one of south Florida's premier golf courses. It is a links-style layout that plays over 7,000 yards, making it the perfect place for long hitters. Karl Litten, a well known name in south Florida golf, designed the course as closely as possible to the traditional links courses of the British Isles while staying true to the landscape. The layout features long, rolling fairways and dramatic elevation changes from tee to green. The golf course incorporates elements of Florida golf into its links design, such as the presence of water hazards on 13 holes, an unprecedented occurrence on Scottish courses but a typical characteristic of those in Florida. Polo Trace is popular for offering a challenging layout at an affordable price.
Champion 72 7068 yards 74.6 139
Back 72 6632 yards 71.9 134
Member 72 6068 yards 70.2 128
Forward 72 5099 yards 70.4 125
Scorecard for Polo Trace Golf Club
Championship M: 74.6/139 377 136 428 533 190 374 384 429 566 3417 536 591 162 432 437 224 414 415 440 3651 7068
Back M: 71.9/134 365 120 419 478 167 360 365 407 528 3209 517 563 144 418 387 187 401 378 428 3423 6632
Member M: 70.2/128 341 108 398 465 130 328 347 330 481 2928 473 521 142 391 365 136 361 348 403 3140 6068
Red W: 71.0/124 308 103 357 415 114 301 253 330 491 2672 434 427 105 365 291 150 291 289 290 2642 5314
Forward M: 70.4/125 270 94 357 386 105 306 319 301 444 2582 402 452 100 308 290 99 300 281 285 2517 5099

Year Built 1989
Architect Karl Litten

Dress code Proper golf attire is required, collared shirts only, slacks/shorts, no denim permitted.

1.4

Cows would not graze on this pasture

The course conditions are the worst I have ever played. There were more weeds than grass. The greens were full of weeds and had not been cut or rolled. They told us the course is closing within the month (didn't tell us until AFTER we played). They had the guts to charge us $50. Stay away. Save your money. Friendly staff. Nice club house. Poor playing conditions. What a waste of money!
Off-course amenities Average
Course Conditions Poor
Course Layout Good

Thoroughly Disappointing

Polo Trace had been recommended to me by a friend who played it a couple of years ago. I told him to not waste his time again. The "fairways" were weedy, traps in desperate need of fresh sand and the greens covered in ball marks. The shocking part of this is this was the day of their club championship. This was the best they could do for their members. The practice facilities were minimal. The driving range is abbreviated and if there is more than 2 on the practice green it's crowded. If the course were properly maintained it would be playable as the layout was challenging. But as of now I will not return even at summer rates.
Quality of food & beverage Poor
Off-course amenities Poor
Course Conditions Poor
Value for the Money Poor

This course needs better management.

My wife and I were invited for a round by members of Polo Trace. The condition of the course was fair at best with poor fairway and green care. The price per round is quite high as compared to other semi public courses in Palm Beach county. The pace of play was slow because of poor tee time organization. When we made the turn to play the back there were two foursomes waiting on the box, one foursome in the fairway and one one the green. We explained to the ranger at the tenth hole that we did not have the time to play at least a five hour round and we requested a rain check for nine holes. He felt that was reasonable. We drove back to the clubhouse and to our surprise my wife was told by the manager John Biancco that no credit would be given and it's too bad you can't play your back nine. He was also quite rude in tone to my wife. My purpose of writing this review is to steer other golfers away from a course that is managed this poorly especially a public course where all should have the opportunity to play 18 in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure the owners and members of this club would benefit by reading my review and correcting the poor management in place at Polo Trace.
Staff Friendliness Poor
Pace of Play Poor
Off-course amenities Fair
Course Conditions Fair
Value for the Money Poor

Nice layout and good greens

Overall the course was in very good condition. I definitely think that it is one of the better public courses in SE Florida.
Staff Friendliness Average
Quality of food & beverage Good

Polo Trace

Course was reasonably challenging and was generally in good condition. Tee boxes were a little poor and the greens, though in good condition, were pretty slow. Played at a special rate of $29 and this was a good value at this price, but I wouldn't pay any more than this to play this course. Many other courses in the area that are just as good and a better value.
Staff Friendliness Excellent
Off-course amenities Excellent
Value for the Money Average

Nice Layout and scenery...

On a scale of 0 to 10, I give a 7 on layout and scenery. For condition I give a 4, crabgrass and clover on most all of the tee boxes, the greens rolled below average, fairways below average, this place is crying to be bought out and have a few million invested, I played on a Sunday at Noon and the place was very quiet, maybe 15 cars in the lot... I payed $25 with a Hot Deal, this is NOT a premium golf experience due to the poor conditioning, Osprey Point is a solid 8+, this Polo can't hold its socks up! Way better value and experience, and half the price at most times...
Poor weather

3 stars

Got a good hot deal rate on golf now so decided to give this course a try. In peak season, i noticed that this course was at a higher price point and included range balls, which is typically of a higher quality tier course. Range balls are not included in the off season. Not too many cars in the parking lot so we assumed we could get 18 holes in in about 2.5 hours, but we had a 45m to an hour rain delay, and a stubborn 4some that would quit halfway through holes just to stay in front of us instead of letting us through (typical old men of florida) so it took us 4 hours to play. The clubhouse and pro shop was nice, but only one thing stuck out to me was the ripped awning so that alone gets the fair rating on facilities. The course was no up to par in my book, but played okay. It couldn't be beat for the price at least. I compare all of the area courses to osprey point, and no public courses can hold a candle to it, not even the PGA national courses. The grounds need to be kept up better in my opinion. greens were ok but not my favorite style grass. I did, however, really enjoy the layout, just wish I played better. A good start with easy warmup holes and wedge par 3s. The 18th is a killer, especially if you can only drive the ball 250, leaving a 200 yard shot over water, BRUTAL! but fun. Overall, I'd probably visit this course again, but not unless I got the same or cheaper price and its not a course I would tell a friend that they had to play.
Staff Friendliness Average
Off-course amenities Fair
Course Conditions Fair

Not what I expected

I played this course 20 years ago, then a links course, it was a lot more challenging. With that said it's still a nice track. Your tee ball is very important, especially when you to carry water hazards.
Course Conditions Average
Value for the Money Excellent

good challenge

greens were in good shape; but the conditions of the course is not a good as when I played it before. some t boxes were bare and there were weeds in the fairways. the course layout can be a challenge for the high handicapper. did enjoy some of the elevated t boxes.

A beautiful tough nut

A beautiful course right next to the everglades with very few condos impeding the view, I played white tees (6100 yds) as a single and zipped around except I was bidding on a condo in Bay Area and the staff even helped me at the turn get my docusign doc using their desktop - my offer was accepted. This is a true test with a variety of memorable holes finished off by fair, well manicured greens.
Staff Friendliness Excellent
Quality of food & beverage Good
Off-course amenities Excellent
Course Conditions Excellent

Valid dates: Sep 03, 2018 - Oct 21, 2018
Book this Stay and Play package to enjoy your stay at the Stowe Mountain Lodge which includes 1 round at the exclusive Mountain Course at Spruce Peak (Formerly known as the Stowe Mountain Course) and unlimited rounds at the Stowe Country Club!