2.6

Type Private
Style Links

Year Built 1998
Architect Steve Smyers (1998)

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express
Dress code collared shirts, denim jeans not permitted

Bar, Restaurant

Entertaining Clients 13

Interesting Layout

Although I really enjoyed my round on the west course @ Roycebrook, I was disappointed by the conditions of many bunkers on the course. There was very little sand with mostly hard clay making it very difficult to play the bunkers. Other than the bunker conditions, the course was in excellent condition. The greens rolled fast & very true while the tee boxes & fairways were plush. It is very difficult to find yardage markers on the course.

Terrible

Have played here in previous years and the course has deteriorated to a shockingly bad level. Should have realized something was amiss when we could get any tee time we wanted here while every other course was booked out.

The course conditions were terrible. Massive bare patches on fairways and greens. There are no bunkers just big dirt holes in the ground with weeds growing up through where the sand should be. Greens covered with pitch marks, scars and standing water. Tee boxes overgrown with crab grass or completely bare.

Costs an extra $15 for single ride cart so it costs $77 to play what is a low grade muni course. Wouldn't pay $20 to play here. Will not be back

Not sure i would recommend

I'm writing this review because of the starter. Played with my brother in law and he was late for our tee time. If you aren't aware, Royce Brook has a public and private course. The starter couldn't fit us in to the public course after we missed our tee time, so he let us play as a twosome on the private course. That was so cool of him. The private course was fine, in decent shape, lots of bunkers...I think every hole had a bunker most had multiple bunkers. I cannot recommend this course because I didn't play the public course which has terrible reviews.

Pools for bunkers

The greens were in decent shape but there were some that looked like the course machinery drove across and left their mark. It was like tractor treads across the green. The bunkers didn't drain from the rain the previous night and it was deep enough with the sand mixing with the water so you couldn't see the bottom to not be able to locate your ball in that bunker. It was quite frustrating. Fairways were alright but you can see that they don't put the same effort into maintaining the course that they did before there was any talk of condos being built. From previous play it it a nice course but it doesn't seem to be living up to it's on history. That's too bad!

Terrible conditions... sad to see...

I’ve been playing RoyceBrook GC several times per season for the last 10 to 15 years. I’m not sure what’s going on, but the conditions have really deteriorated, so much so that it’s unlikely I will play there again anytime soon. Tee boxes are inconsistent, with some overgrown and some bare down to the dirt. Same with the fairways, with some having enormous burnt out spots. The greens were rolling fairly well, which I found surprising given how the rest of the course looked. It’s a shame. For a long time, for me and my playing partners, Royce Brook Golf Club represented one of the better conditioned layouts in the central New Jersey area. Until I believe they have improved the shape of the course, I will be taking my golf games elsewhere.

Not worth the cost

They course was not in good shape. Most of the tee boxes were patchy and long. Like teeing from the rough. A lot of bare patches in the fairways and rough. Pull into the parking lot and there was trash everywhere. Looked like giants stadium after a tail gate. I heard they sold it and were not keeping up to par. They charged 100 to play on the weekend. If you are going to charge that mow your tee boxes at least.

Do not be fooled about the previous rankings!

This course was one of the best in the state of NJ. Now it is a shell of what used to be. The staff were not very helpful or welcoming. For 100 dollars a player I would expect a more personable staff. The starter seemed more worried about his fantasy football team than getting people off on time. 10:20 tee time and we teed off at 10:40 because a group was late. Courses I play normally you are late you loose your time.

When it comes to the condition of the course there were semblances of what used to be a well maintained course. Tee boxes were over grown, over watered, and the par 3 tees were beat up. The picture shows sand/seed mix is a lacking in the budget. Fairways had spots that were washed out then burnt out. Finally the greens had good speed, but it was impossible to trust a line being no one fixed pitch marks. The fact that the greens had so many marks baffles me seeing we haven’t had significant rain in months. Two other worthy notes major evidence of reckless grounds staff two greens has tread marks from an machine that cut the Turf and there might be cutter worms. Again evidence that the course has not been treated.

While I played great and shot 75 with 3 Birdies, I will not be back. A five hour round and poor course conditions for $100 it is not worth it. Plenty of other options in the area at a much better value.

Avoid. Find somewhere else or don't play that day.

$80 for the conditions of a $25 muni. 5 1/2 hour round. If it were my local course I would stop playing golf. Course is so bad I bothered to write a review.

Nice layout
Course is in below average condition.
Some tee boxes had grass almost as long as the rough
Sand traps are inconsistent, some with very little sand, all of which was very brown

Horrible condition!

From tee to green, ground conditions were abysmal. Massive dirt patches on the fairway, torn up tee boxes and a tremendous amount of ball marks on the green. My group spent a lot of time fixing ball marks!

And $15 EXTRA to have a single cart if you were in a 4some. For an already extremely overpriced course to charge that is beyond comprehension.

The breakfast sandwich was good though.

Pace Stinks

Spent nearly 5 hours on the course. Waited at every tee box. Waited on every approach shot. It’s a shame because I thought it was an interesting layout. I refuse to play courses that can’t get people off 18 in at least 4:20. The scorecard even said pace of play should be 4:10!

Very Disappointed

I have been playing this course since it opened and have never been more disappointed.
There was no one at the bag drop and when we went to the starter, we were told to get our own cart and pull up to the tee 5 minutes before our tee time.
There was no one at the 1st hole to make sure things were going smoothly and we didn’t see a ranger the whole day.
The Tees were spongy and needed cutting and the bunkers were mud.
I have never seen the course in such bad condition
For the money we I paid I expected much better.

Much better than reviews

After reading so many bad reviews I expected the worst but was pleasantly surprised. Fairways and greens are mostly excellent, firm and fast. The bunkers were below average but thats pretty much always been the case , best just to avoid them.. Tee boxes aren't pretty but plenty of space to find a nice level spot to tee off from

Commented on 09/28/2020

I'm definitely not the owner and play many great courses. If you keep it in the fairway and hit the greens you can have a great day there.

Commented on 09/27/2020

You must be the owner or work there. Or you are blind and have never played a good course

East course terrible shape

I haven’t played this course in about 6 years it was disappointing coming back and seeing the poor conditions. Tee boxes higher than the rough, fairways damaged, bunkers are horrible and greens have ball marks all over!!

Hillsborough, New Jersey