Fort Myers Country Club

Green 70 3930 yards N/A N/A

"Very Good Course"

DC0046's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2018

What a thrill to play a 100 year old course designed by a legendary golf architect. Although the layout is fairly up front, be prepared to deal with difficult greens which are all elevated.

Only issue I had was when checking in Dr ?? Walked up and the attendant completely stopped my check in to attend to Dr ?? Very rude, but other than that a great experience.

"I've fallen hard for "The Fort""

TimGavrichGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2018
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

In a landscape where a lot of courses blend together in relative mediocrity, it's a true pleasure to play somewhere that makes you constantly think, "This is what great affordable golf should be like." Fort Myers Country Club - something of a misnomer because it's the city's main muni - is such a place.

The century-old Donald Ross design was its best self when I played it on a spectacular Presidents' Day early-morning. It's a terrific walk, with gloriously firm turf and the sort of pushed up greens that you could spend an hour devising shots for. The variety of holes is excellent, and the canal that runs through the property makes a great strategic obstacle on three holes - 3, 8 and 18 - which I consider the heart of an already strong layout. At $55 to walk in peak season, it is just about as good a value as I've seen in golf. If you come to southwest Florida and do not play it, you are missing out on an example of exemplary everyday public golf.

"Great Muni"

ozzone47's avatar
New York Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/06/2017
First time playing Used cart

No ambiance here, just real good golf. Some interesting holes but all at great green complexes.

Price is right too!

"Great place to play in Fort Myers"

Paul2129354's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/24/2017
First time playing Walked Windy weather

I played Fort Myers Country Club on a recent trip to Florida and found the staff to be wonderfully friendly and professional. The golf course is a pleasure to walk and the course conditions were great. I will definitely be back!

"Better than the old, but I have some concerns...."

kajjohnson's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

I have played this course since the redo and I like the changes. The grass and upkeep are great....that is the best part of the redo. I must also mention the replacement of holes 4-5 are questionable. 4 is shorter and some of my guests have had a hard time judging it and it adds to difficultly. The problem is the danger on the tee shot....it is very close to the tee box of the 5th hole. I have had many balls hit near me and others on the 5th tee box. There are some great thinking tee shots which I love. 7th, par 3 is funny since it a bit long and I love how my friends think the long par 5 8th which has a significant water hazard. The one hole I have a question is the 11th (I think) which has the HUGE tree close to the hole...WHY!?!?! I guess they were thinking pick your shot but I have never seen that but you have a fairly open fairway with the practice fairway to hit it right....

Overall, its a good course to hit on...not challenging but it has its bumps. If you can hit it long with creativity...you will have fun.

Cheers!!!

"Darn near perfect conditions!"

BisonM's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/29/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This Donald Ross gem has received a complete make-over, and kudos to golf architect Steve Smyers! I played the course 3 years ago and again this week and the difference is amazing. The turf conditions are some of the best I have ever seen, and I’m “in the business”. The greens are fast and true. The renovations have brought this course back to a true Donald Ross design, except that in his day the greens were never this quick! So, stay below the hole, putt from off the green, sharpen up your short game (this is not a long course), and have a ball! This one is great for walkers and fun for all ages (well, not for kids!). Challenging enough without being silly, a number of holes give you options. You really have to think your way around this course. Golf as it should be!