Rivertowne Country Club in Mount Pleasant has the unique distinction of offering the only Arnold Palmer Signature golf course in the Charleston area. This scenic course takes advantage of all the Lowcountry has to offer, incorporating the landscape's lush pampas grasses, marshland, and ancient, moss-draped oak trees. Water has a prominent presence throughout the golf course with 13 holes that play along the Wando River and Horlbeck Creek. The front nine is less challenging than the back nine but it's by no means easy. The holes are more open but you'll be met with hazards where you would least expect them. The tighter back nine demands accuracy and will thoroughly test your ability to select the proper club. With stunning scenery and challenges that will even seasoned golfers, it's no wonder that Rivertowne C.C. has landed a spot on the Post and Courier's list of "Top 15 Best Places You Can Play in the State."

Championship 72 7188 yards 74.9 147
Medal 72 6679 yards 72.4 135
Member 72 6267 yards 70.1 125
Club 72 5786 yards 68.2 122
Forward (W) 72 5089 yards 71.2 120
Scorecard for RiverTowne Country Club
Black M: 74.8/141 404 213 526 418 443 311 422 152 565 3454 421 586 451 422 211 473 507 185 478 3734 7188
Gold M: 72.3/132 354 184 502 374 421 282 397 145 543 3202 396 522 428 406 192 446 471 174 442 3477 6679
Blue M: 70.4/127 W: 76.5/147 341 156 467 353 395 273 362 123 500 2970 374 508 415 399 179 408 462 152 400 3297 6267
White M: 68.0/119 W: 74.1/142 317 138 433 314 359 251 317 101 467 2697 354 482 383 383 148 358 442 125 381 3056 5753
Red M: 65.2/113 W: 70.4/127 287 127 386 249 334 220 284 80 405 2372 318 457 323 336 139 322 407 119 296 2717 5089

Year Built 1998
Architect Arnold Palmer (1998) Ed Seay (1998)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Affiniti Golf Academy"
Golf Simulator No
Practice Hole No

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Single Allowed No

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in South Carolina (2015 #11)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2014 #12)

Great variety

Course is in great condition although bunkers have suffered with all the recent rain. Staff couln't be friendlier and the layout features a great deal of variety and beauty. The only downside for a player of average length like me is that all the par 4s on the backside are waaay long: 400 yards from the middle set of tees. Still, a good bet if in the area

Big Beautiful Beast

I have played several courses in the area and really enjoy The Links Course and Wild Dunes, Stono Ferry, and for me now Rivertowne is added to that list. Today was the first time I played the course, and it is a big beautiful beast. I played on a warm February morning, that wasnt very busy. I was paired up with a member, which was a good thing. The course would be very difficult to play the 1st time without someone who had played before. If its your first time I recommend that you try to buy a yardage book. There are alot of blind hazards and bunkering really plays some visual tricks on you. Also, very few holes were straight and you couldnt see the green from the tees on many holes. Check in was smooth. I paid about $80 for the round which did include range balls. The price is a little high for the off season but I think its mostly a member type course. The range is enormous, it was chewed up a good bit, but they had 3 seperate teeing areas. There was also a large putting green. The clubhouse is big and very nice but I didnt spend alot of time there. The course is also massage, it is spread out over a very large areas with some pretty good drives between holes. The course is also gorgeous, there are water and marsh views on over half of the holes. The course was also in really good shape. The tees and fairways were green and in pretty good shape for this time of year. The bunkers were raked and in good shape. The rough was dormant, and the greens were smooth and rolled really good. Though there were a few areas around the edges of almost every green that were bare or suffering from winter kill, however, these largely did not affect play. The course is also one of the tougher ones that I have played in a while. The front 9 was a challenge but it was the back that was really tough. Almost, if not all, par 3s have a forced carry over the marsh or pond. The marsh is always present, even if it should not really be in play its there where you can see it and in the back of your mind. The course requires you to think about angles due to several doglegs, and the bunkering presents alot of visual challenges. As I mentioned, the back is really tough. All of the par 4s are 400 yds or over from the middle tees (not so on the front) and they are pretty tight. Not so much on the tee shot, but the approach to every par 4 on the back had marsh or swamp or pond tight up against the sides and back of the greens. You were hitting into these greens with a long iron, or fairway metal bc they were so long as well making for a tough back 9. Even so, it was a really fun course to play, and I had a great day with the member Kevin, and I highly recommend playing here.

BEST PUBLIC COURSE IN CHARLESTON

Came from out of town, we had such a good time at this Charleston gem. Scenic views, great golf, Fast Greens, amd Friendly staff!

Great course but currently some maintenance issues

I played here once last year around the same time and there was some major maintenance being done on a few holes but relatively excusable stuff. This year there were dead spots throughout the course, sod patches that didn't take and were unplayable (even right in front of the greens), and overall poor quality course management. HOWEVER, with that being said, the greens were easily the fastest, smoothest, most true in the area with relatively minimal burned out areas. Maybe rolling close to a 12.

It's got the most challenging layout with some of the best views for the price in the area and is worth playing. Hopefully they figure out what is going on with the course maintenance and can get it to match the level of standard that the greens are kept at.

Overvalued due to bad condition

The Arnold Palmer Signature course layout is perhaps the best in the Charleston Area. It is beautifully laid out among the marshes. The course plays much tighter than it looks. When the course is dry and the grass is cut short balls run and can easily run off into the marsh. It's a challenging round of golf.

The Back 9 beginning with #9 is dramatically more difficult and long compared to the first eight holes. The change in difficultly is very noticeable.

As to course conditions, something not good is going on there this year. Many (too many) holes are cart path only due to bad conditions. Bare spots are everywhere and the beautiful layout looks tired due to very poor maintenance. You really notice the cutting corners on the edges of the course.
On the positive, the greens run true and are very quick.

For the price due to the poor quality the course is presently overpriced.

Great low country golf

I loved our afternoon at Rivertowne even though it was pouring rain. I liked the layout, loved the views, it was everything we wanted for a Charleston golf trip.

Good layout, but not great conditions

I played this course last weekend because my girlfriend grew up in brickyard just a couple miles away and she recommended it to me. We were able to get the resident rates but for the quality of the course I think it was a bit overpriced. I played from the tips and the layout of the course was actually quite challenging. There was a good deal of blind tee shots that were difficult if you have not played there before. Luckily I played with a member who was extremely nice and showed me around the course. The greens were in excellent shape and quick that morning. The only downfall was the condition of the fairways, most of the fairways were a bit hairy with a lot of unfilled divots, there were also some burn out spots here and there. All in all it was a quality round but the course could have been in a lot better shape for being a semi-private club.

Worth the play outside of Charleston

Had the pleasure of playing Rivertowne this week. Enjoyable course with some nice views.

The first few fairways were in average (at best) shape; however, quickly improved and stayed in nice shape for the rest of the round.

Overall, the pace of play was good. And, there are five tees to play; however, many of them share the same placement on multiple holes. The fairways weren't too tight and pretty forgiving. Several of the greens were surrounded by marsh, sand, and/or water making it somewhat challenging. Not incredibly challenging, there are a few more challenging holes though. Overall, I played slightly better than my handicap.

Rental sets were pretty nice -- somewhat new Calloway Epic with hybrid irons (4-6).

Overall, I'd recommend the course for anyone in the Charleston area.

Long day

Great layout in great shape. We played the front 9 in 2:35 waiting on a group who had no one in front of them. On the 10th tee we said something to a ranger who said they had been having to wait which was simply not true. We then asked him if they were on pace and he said no but it was not their fault. I believe the ranger defended this group so he would not have to say something to them. This was poor service and very frustrating.

Love it here

Just a fun course with a challenging and far from boring lay out.

I play here as much as I can when in the area.

I miss it already...

The course is in fantastic shape. Challenging and fun. My only complaint is we came in late, after 5:00, we told the pro shop we were fast golfers and could get in 18 before sunset. They wouldn't let us pay for 18 and told us to come in at the turn to pay for the back 9. We made the turn in just over an hour and decided to make the turn and pay after to ensure we got done. They asked us on the tenth tee box if we paid and told them our intentions. (We were not going to skip out on them). We feed off and then they came back and told us to go back and pay. I was very upset because we were fighting daylight. We wasted 10-15 minutes going back and had to rush the last few holes to get in before we lost our light. Had they listened we would have finished and not rushed. I was willing to risk not finishing had they just let us pay for 18 and go.

Great design

The course was fun and challenging at the same time
We started by talking to the guys in the shop and the suggested tees for us that would challenge us but not be so difficult as to frustrate us. The result as a great time on a beautiful course. I would suggest getting a tee box recommendation for the staff before you start because if you are not careful, and honest with yourself you could bite off more than you can chew on some of the forced carries over the marshes and bunkers which will make it a very frustrating day.
Definitely a must play in the area.

Played RiverTowne CC on way up to Myrtle Beach

3 of us played RiverTowne CC on our annual trip to Myrtle Beach for the Myrtle Beach World Amateur. We flew into Charleston this year and wanted to play same day so RiverTowne was convenient on our way up. This was my first time to play here and I was pleasantly surprised. Very nice facility. Nice clubhouse and course was in excellent shape. Greens rolled very true, course was well manicured. Offered a decent challenge.
My only complaint is their tee markers look like the traditional tee markers of wood slanted on each end but here they are not painted on the ends. They have a small paint stripe (many of which were mostly weathered or worn off). Very difficult to know where you really were without walking up to the tee. The grass surrounding the teeing area sometimes made it hard to see where the markers actually were so it was not like you could count forward to the tee box you were playing. Geez...spend 10bucks, buy some paint, paint the ends of the blocks so people can see them!!!
I would definitely recommend playing the course.

Wesley4789407
Commented On 10/12/2016

Rick, please tell me you are kidding....

You play a great course have no complaints with quality of greens, tee boxes, fairways, etc. and you proceed to write a paragraph about the paint on a tee marker?!? Commmmoooonnnn Maaann!

I'll be back

I'm bringing a small group down to Charleston in the fall, so I was scouting courses and had heard good things about RiverTowne. I played it on July 4th which probably made it a longer round than usual, and was very hot and muggy, so I was really worn out at the end. To add insult to injury the clubhouse was closed for the holiday when I finished so I couldn't shower. I digress.
The layout was great and forced me to use every club in my bag. Lots of hazards, with water creeping into play in some unlikely places. I was paired up with two members which was a blessing because they had me aiming in directions I wouldn't have if I were on my own. You should consider buying a yardage book, and definitely bring your Bushnell.
What I really liked about the course was there were no two holes alike. Too often on low country courses I get to a hole and feel like I've already played it. Not here. No back and forth.
The views on many holes are fantastic. You're basically out in a marsh off Horlbeck Creek, and it's hard not get distracted when you think of all the wildlife surrounding you. I can see why the members don't get tired of playing the course.
It's on the pricier side by my standards ($75), but I can't wait to play it again. I will bring a couple extra sleeves of balls. Side note: while some other nearby courses have lost their greens, only two or three of these greens were in suspect condition.

Greens Insect Infested

We paid $90 and wasn't worth it one iota.
The greens are shredded by insects.
They informed me when I booked the tee time that there were patches on the greens and I expected some spots but what I witnessed were greens literally with many sections completely missing and cut out by the greens keepers. I don't write reviews but I felt it was my obligation to inform folks of how bad the greens truly are. I hate saying this but don't play this course when you have so many to choose from.

RiverTowne

Beautiful layout and excellent conditions. Greens were rolling pretty fast. Decent practice facility. They were repairing bunkers on multiple holes and there was a temporary par three as one hole was getting work done, but overall this course was in great shape.

Poor weather

1st Mr Palmer Designed Course played

While on vacation in mt. pleasant I was able to play a solid list of courses. I am very much the golfer who appreciates the design features of a golf course. I came away impressed with Mr. Palmer's layout. I loved the bunkering throughout the course, very cool and served great direction for playing a new course. There were a set of tees for every level golfer on this course. What I found most delightful even giving the windy conditions of a near by tropical system was the lack of forced carries on holes. This wasn't so much for me because I am fairly long for a 10 handicap but again I appreciated Mr. Palmer's execution of a playable course for all types. My favorite hole was the short par 4 Sixth!!! Now the greens were in good shape not perfect. But you better put the ball on the correct shelf, if not hang with them coach:) I really enjoyed trying to execute this part of my game and when I did I was rewarded with good chances to birdie holes or save par. The many bulkheads around the greens was another cool feature protecting the larger greens on this course. Miss on the wrong side and you got punished, hit a good shot in correct spots you were rewarded somewhat(hahaha) Great time and played with a great guy also. Thanks for a great time from a year round florida golfer!

Fun, Fun golf course

Simply stated, "It is fun". had the pleasure of playing it 5x's on a recent golf trip to the Charleston area. Of all the courses I played it was my favorite.

Each hole is unique, layout challenges but is fair and the more you play it the more you like it.

Food and drink was great as well. I cannot wait to go play it again.

Nice Course

Beautiful, well maintained course with friendly staff. They were repairing some bunkers so we played a temp par 3 instead of the par 5 9th. Had a wonderful time out there, will return!

Views are great.

A little pricey but Course was in great condition. Great driving range but only played nine

Awendaw, South Carolina
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
Hanahan, South Carolina

Valid dates: May 24, 2019 - Oct 13, 2019
Save on lodging and Canyons Golf! Give your drive the adventure it deserve this summer at Canyons Golf.
Stay and Play
Stay & Play Escape at Eagle Eye!
Stay and Play
Stay & Play this Summer at Hawk Hollow!
Unlimited Golf Stay and Play at St James Bay Golf Club