RiverTowne Country Club

• 1700 Rivertowne Country Club Dr, Mt Pleasant, South Carolina 29466, Charleston County
  • www.rivertownecountryclub.com
Write Review

Year built: 1998
Architect(s): Arnold Palmer (1998), Ed Seay (1998)
Type: Public
Greens: Bermuda Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No
Golf school / academy: Yes - "Affiniti Golf Academy"

Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Championship 72 7188 yards 74.9 147
Medal 72 6679 yards 72.4 135
Member 72 6267 yards 70.1 125
Club 72 5786 yards 68.2 122
Forward (W) 72 5089 yards 71.2 120

Rivertowne Country Club in Mount Pleasant has the unique distinction of offering the only Arnold Palmer Signature golf course in the Charleston area. This scenic course takes advantage of all the Lowcountry has to offer, incorporating the landscape's lush pampas grasses, marshland, and ancient, moss-draped oak trees. Water has a prominent presence throughout the golf course with 13 holes that play along the Wando River and Horlbeck Creek. The front nine is less challenging than the back nine but it's by no means easy. The holes are more open but you'll be met with hazards where you would least expect them. The tighter back nine demands accuracy and will thoroughly test your ability to select the proper club. With stunning scenery and challenges that will even seasoned golfers, it's no wonder that Rivertowne C.C. has landed a spot on the Post and Courier's list of "Top 15 Best Places You Can Play in the State."

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks

"Good layout, but not great conditions"

Davis2100565's avatar
Age:  Under 25

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2017

I played this course last weekend because my girlfriend grew up in brickyard just a couple miles away and she recommended it to me. We were able to get the resident rates but for the quality of the course I think it was a bit overpriced. I played from the tips and the layout of the course was actually quite challenging. There was a good deal of blind tee shots that were difficult if you have not played there before. Luckily I played with a member who was extremely nice and showed me around the course. The greens were in excellent shape and quick that morning. The only downfall was the condition of the fairways, most of the fairways were a bit hairy with a lot of unfilled divots, there were also some burn out spots here and there. All in all it was a quality round but the course could have been in a lot better shape for being a semi-private club.

"Worth the play outside of Charleston"

mikekap3's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Had the pleasure of playing Rivertowne this week. Enjoyable course with some nice views.

The first few fairways were in average (at best) shape; however, quickly improved and stayed in nice shape for the rest of the round.

Overall, the pace of play was good. And, there are five tees to play; however, many of them share the same placement on multiple holes. The fairways weren't too tight and pretty forgiving. Several of the greens were surrounded by marsh, sand, and/or water making it somewhat challenging. Not incredibly challenging, there are a few more challenging holes though. Overall, I played slightly better than my handicap.

Rental sets were pretty nice -- somewhat new Calloway Epic with hybrid irons (4-6).

Overall, I'd recommend the course for anyone in the Charleston area.

"Long day"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2017

Great layout in great shape. We played the front 9 in 2:35 waiting on a group who had no one in front of them. On the 10th tee we said something to a ranger who said they had been having to wait which was simply not true. We then asked him if they were on pace and he said no but it was not their fault. I believe the ranger defended this group so he would not have to say something to them. This was poor service and very frustrating.

"Love it here"

JoeBDA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2017
Previously played Used cart

Just a fun course with a challenging and far from boring lay out.

I play here as much as I can when in the area.

I miss it already...

"Great course"

mattypants1975's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2017

The course is in fantastic shape. Challenging and fun. My only complaint is we came in late, after 5:00, we told the pro shop we were fast golfers and could get in 18 before sunset. They wouldn't let us pay for 18 and told us to come in at the turn to pay for the back 9. We made the turn in just over an hour and decided to make the turn and pay after to ensure we got done. They asked us on the tenth tee box if we paid and told them our intentions. (We were not going to skip out on them). We feed off and then they came back and told us to go back and pay. I was very upset because we were fighting daylight. We wasted 10-15 minutes going back and had to rush the last few holes to get in before we lost our light. Had they listened we would have finished and not rushed. I was willing to risk not finishing had they just let us pay for 18 and go.

"Great design"

MICKEY31405's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The course was fun and challenging at the same time

We started by talking to the guys in the shop and the suggested tees for us that would challenge us but not be so difficult as to frustrate us. The result as a great time on a beautiful course. I would suggest getting a tee box recommendation for the staff before you start because if you are not careful, and honest with yourself you could bite off more than you can chew on some of the forced carries over the marshes and bunkers which will make it a very frustrating day.

Definitely a must play in the area.

"Played RiverTowne CC on way up to Myrtle Beach"

rkimbrell's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

3 of us played RiverTowne CC on our annual trip to Myrtle Beach for the Myrtle Beach World Amateur. We flew into Charleston this year and wanted to play same day so RiverTowne was convenient on our way up. This was my first time to play here and I was pleasantly surprised. Very nice facility. Nice clubhouse and course was in excellent shape. Greens rolled very true, course was well manicured. Offered a decent challenge.

My only complaint is their tee markers look like the traditional tee markers of wood slanted on each end but here they are not painted on the ends. They have a small paint stripe (many of which were mostly weathered or worn off). Very difficult to know where you really were without walking up to the tee. The grass surrounding the teeing area sometimes made it hard to see where the markers actually were so it was not like you could count forward to the tee box you were playing. Geez...spend 10bucks, buy some paint, paint the ends of the blocks so people can see them!!!

I would definitely recommend playing the course.

Commented on 10/12/2016

Rick, please tell me you are kidding....

You play a great course have no complaints with quality of greens, tee boxes, fairways, etc. and you proceed to write a paragraph about the paint on a tee marker?!? Commmmoooonnnn Maaann!

"I'll be back"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I'm bringing a small group down to Charleston in the fall, so I was scouting courses and had heard good things about RiverTowne. I played it on July 4th which probably made it a longer round than usual, and was very hot and muggy, so I was really worn out at the end. To add insult to injury the clubhouse was closed for the holiday when I finished so I couldn't shower. I digress.

The layout was great and forced me to use every club in my bag. Lots of hazards, with water creeping into play in some unlikely places. I was paired up with two members which was a blessing because they had me aiming in directions I wouldn't have if I were on my own. You should consider buying a yardage book, and definitely bring your Bushnell.

What I really liked about the course was there were no two holes alike. Too often on low country courses I get to a hole and feel like I've already played it. Not here. No back and forth.

The views on many holes are fantastic. You're basically out in a marsh off Horlbeck Creek, and it's hard not get distracted when you think of all the wildlife surrounding you. I can see why the members don't get tired of playing the course.

It's on the pricier side by my standards ($75), but I can't wait to play it again. I will bring a couple extra sleeves of balls. Side note: while some other nearby courses have lost their greens, only two or three of these greens were in suspect condition.

"Greens Insect Infested"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We paid $90 and wasn't worth it one iota.

The greens are shredded by insects.

They informed me when I booked the tee time that there were patches on the greens and I expected some spots but what I witnessed were greens literally with many sections completely missing and cut out by the greens keepers. I don't write reviews but I felt it was my obligation to inform folks of how bad the greens truly are. I hate saying this but don't play this course when you have so many to choose from.

"RiverTowne"

hengstwengst's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Beautiful layout and excellent conditions. Greens were rolling pretty fast. Decent practice facility. They were repairing bunkers on multiple holes and there was a temporary par three as one hole was getting work done, but overall this course was in great shape.

"1st Mr Palmer Designed Course played"

Callix5534292's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2015
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Poor weather

While on vacation in mt. pleasant I was able to play a solid list of courses. I am very much the golfer who appreciates the design features of a golf course. I came away impressed with Mr. Palmer's layout. I loved the bunkering throughout the course, very cool and served great direction for playing a new course. There were a set of tees for every level golfer on this course. What I found most delightful even giving the windy conditions of a near by tropical system was the lack of forced carries on holes. This wasn't so much for me because I am fairly long for a 10 handicap but again I appreciated Mr. Palmer's execution of a playable course for all types. My favorite hole was the short par 4 Sixth!!! Now the greens were in good shape not perfect. But you better put the ball on the correct shelf, if not hang with them coach:) I really enjoyed trying to execute this part of my game and when I did I was rewarded with good chances to birdie holes or save par. The many bulkheads around the greens was another cool feature protecting the larger greens on this course. Miss on the wrong side and you got punished, hit a good shot in correct spots you were rewarded somewhat(hahaha) Great time and played with a great guy also. Thanks for a great time from a year round florida golfer!

"Fun, Fun golf course"

JoeBDA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2015
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Simply stated, "It is fun". had the pleasure of playing it 5x's on a recent golf trip to the Charleston area. Of all the courses I played it was my favorite.

Each hole is unique, layout challenges but is fair and the more you play it the more you like it.

Food and drink was great as well. I cannot wait to go play it again.

"Nice Course"

Terrynko's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Beautiful, well maintained course with friendly staff. They were repairing some bunkers so we played a temp par 3 instead of the par 5 9th. Had a wonderful time out there, will return!

"Views are great."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2015

A little pricey but Course was in great condition. Great driving range but only played nine

"Great course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Friendly staff and well maintained course.<br/> Back 9 was challenging , so you had to take care with club selection, on some of the par 4 - leave the driver in the bag.

"Nice course."

colmoe's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2015

Have to use Golf.now or price is too high.<br/> Need better tee box markers, too be able to see color. Need better fairway yardage markers.

"Good course"

Brad9663203's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

This course is a good challenge! There are several sets of tees to choose from. Overall the course is always in good condition.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Great, beautifully designed course, but Tee boxes......."

jackdoman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/06/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The tee box markers were about 5-6 inches high and were marked with a painted dot the size of a quarter.<br/> Difficult for a first time player, especially when some of the tees were shared. Just sayin.<br/> The course has many very varied holes, many of which could be a signature hole anywhere.

"Low country gem"

Mgrigg's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Great challenging course along marsh and Wando River. Always enjoy this challenging course. Played with 3 members and had good experience.

"Not worth full price rate"

jerry1960ward's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2014

The course was in good shape but it is nothing spectacular for a $80 green fee. I find other courses in the Charleston area more scenic and at better prices. Staff was friendly but wouldn't pay full price to play.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair