Type Municipal
Wilkes-Barre Golf Club

Year Built 1967
Architect Geoffrey Cornish (1967) Bill Robinson (1967)

Dress code Collared shirts

Bar, Grill, Halfway House

Locker Rooms

Great public course . Very well maintained. Just needs some finishing touches, ie bunkers . But a great place to golf. Easy to get to.Just a really good experience ...

W.B. Muni

A foursome of elderly gentleman in front of us that brought the back 9 to a stand still, but in todays times just have 2 grin and bear it. Booked the round on Golfnow at a nice price. This course is a total value for the price in todays golf world. I do recommend and will be back.

This course has the potential to be a very nice public course. Mind you I only played the front 9 twice, so I cannot speak to the conditions of the back 9. The course surely speaks to being the third longest course in PA. My main complaint is the overall maintenance of the course. The fairways are tree lined on both sides for the most part, and if you hit your ball 3 feet off the fairway it is impossible to find your ball in the rough. The greens had not only clippings all over them, but on several greens putts would bounce up and down. The presence of grounds crew workers leads me to believe that work is being done to make the course more presentable, but is a bit worrisome when they are working directly behind the green you are hitting your approach shot into. Overall, would be an average public course if small detail oriented tasks could be taken care of.

Commented on 09/08/2020

Hello Tori, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We have projects underway to recover the course conditions and hope you'll bear with us through this transition and give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Wilkes-Barre Golf Club.

Course conditions

The course is improving a lot. The greens are very good. The sand traps however are deplorable. Tee boxes are improving also. So overall the get good grades for effort.

Wilkes Barre Muni

We haven't had any rainfall for quite some time, So the course was pretty dried out. It was still very playable considering the dry weather.

Muni Review

Course wasn’t in bad shape, the greens could definitely use some work which they are usually their strong point, a lot of putts jumping. For the money paid not a bad value.

Commented on 08/11/2020

Hello, we appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Wilkes-Barre Golf Club. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Great old muni working hard to make a comeback.

I’ve played WB Muni many times over the last 35 years. Back then it was a beautiful and tough course with some of the best and fastest greens in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Over the years it fell on hard times mostly due to budget concerns I imagine as most small cities have experienced money problems. Ten years ago it reached its low point but its been slowly but surely making a comeback thanks to a concerned group of people there. The greens are all in great shape if maybe a bit slower than years past. The collars on some are in tough shape as are the lead ins to many greens but they are working on them. Great idea keeping carts back away from them with prominent signage. Most tee boxes are in good shape but a couple a spotty and weedy. Fairways are dry due to recent heat but certainly playable. The bunkers are bad but they can only do so much. The rates are very fair for the conditions and I don’t mind paying as long as there is obvious progress being made, which there is! Can’t help but draw comparison to Harding Parks tough times and hard fought return to be PGA site this weekend. Stick with it gang your hard work is slowly paying off. Play the WB Muni and help out a great course!

Commented on 08/10/2020

Hi, Thomas! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Meh

Relatively inexpensive, but horribly maintained. I'd never play here for a real round, but it's fine for practice.

Commented on 08/10/2020

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Wilkes-Barre Golf Club. We hope to see you again in the future.

Good Deal

I played here three weeks ago an enjoyed the course but today it is really burnt.
Fairways were rock hard. Greens were good. Tee boxes need work.
Course layout is great, some really nice holes. Long par 3s.
My friend and I both used a GPS app and his had the holes numbered as the old course. (1 was 10 and 10 was 1 etc. etc.)
Would play here again if I got another great deal from Golf Now, I would not play the going rate of $29.

Commented on 08/10/2020

Hi, Jeffrey. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Wilkes-Barre Golf Club. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Great Day of Golf

I haven’t been to Wilkes Barre Muni in about ten years and was pleasantly surprised at its condition. Very nice course, reasonably priced, and close by. Quality course

A good course to practice, not a true test

Given that this is a public course, it was not a challenging course but a fair one if you kept the ball straight.. The tee boxes were in good shape; the greens in excellent shape, the sand traps were not manicured. and there was plenty of weed build up in more than a few. Pro Shop staff very friendly. Easy to navigate the course. Effective distancing when i played given the environment..

Good value

Booked tee time with golf now great deal people were very nice in club house and on course took my girlfriend she had a great time course was in very good shape will diffently go back

Best Value in the Area

I’ve return to muni being my home course after not playing it for 5+ years. I am shocked at the changes, it is still not on the level as Blue Ridge or Sand Springs but what it does it price. I’ve played twice this week and 5 times this year and each time the course is in a little better shape. The greens are much better then they used to be (only remember one green having a significant burn mark) outside of that, the green were pretty good. The fairways are actual fairways again, the rough has two or three cuts depending on the hole, the point is they are improving, while maintaining a great value. I will be returning again.

Course in Nice Shape

Course is in nice shape. Greens ate very nice. Pace of play was very good.

Good round of golf

I have played here a few times in the last month. Course is in pretty good shape. Definitely will be back.

Great conditions compared to the last few years

First time at the course in over 4 years. New management took over 3 years ago an has made some improvements. Greens are little slow but in much better shape. Only got to play 13 because of some afternoon Thunderstorms but overall I will be returning this year.

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania