2.6
2.4

Type Municipal
Wilkes-Barre Golf Club

Year Built 1967
Architect Geoffrey Cornish (1967) Bill Robinson (1967)

Dress code Collared shirts

2.6

Much better than anticipated

I read previous reviews, but decided to go anyway. The woman who greeted me to accept my reservation was just primo. Very nice, very professional and a warm human being. She explained the swapping of the nines and sent me on my way. The greens were in excellent shape and the fairways were well maintained. The tee boxes could use a little care and the occasional sand trap, but most traps were good. I played as a single and came upon a twosome on the first hole and maintained a nice distance and they turned into a foursome on the 7th hole. When we turned they allowed me to play through and I came upon another foursome who also let me play through. Didn't wait again til 16. Got done in a little over 3 hours. The course is pretty forgiving but first timers should play with a guide.

Much Improved

Played the course early in the day. Last time I played this course (last year) they were having a tough time I think primarily due to weather, Still have had a lot of rain this year, but the course is much, much better than last year. Pay no attention to 2018 reviews, they have no relevance to current course conditions. The greens are in very good shape but were slow (early in the day, rain the day overnight). Fairways are still a little rough, again due to all the rain slowing down their work. But I can't say enough how much the course has been improved since last year due to the hard work of the staff - they really care about what they are doing and are working hard to get the course into top shape. If they get a week of dry weather they will get it done. Club house staff very pleasant on the phone and in person. Come out and play a round here to support this course and keep it on the road back. Right now, you can't beat the price.

Commented on 06/10/2019

Hi ruthbruss. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Wilkes-Barre Golf Club. We hope to see you again in the future.

Not as bad as the reviews read

I went with my husband and son and we had a nice time. They were cutting the fairways and doing a good job. The price was very reasonable and we had fun!

Commented on 05/20/2019

Hi Charlie. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1-star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Wilkes-Barre Golf Club.

course greens were in poor condition with patchy areas and some bare spots. the bunkers were overgrowing with weeds coming up through the sand. not well maintained

Response from on 07/25/2018:
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with the conditions of the course. Our staff will keep working hard during the summer months to have the course in shape. We are hopeful you will see improvements the next time you are with us. Thank you again for sharing your concerns.

Terrible

I’ve golfed here in the past and have never seen the course in such awful conditions. I will never play the Muni again.

Response from on 07/20/2018:
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with the condition of the course. Our staff will keep working to have the course in shape, and we hope you will be able to see improvements the next time you are with us.

needs help

weeds growing in sandtraps,rocks, poor drainage in front of greens, greens has crabgrass on them no true roll should i go on, otherwise a good layout they need to shut done course for 2 months get it back on track

Response from on 07/11/2018:
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with the condition of the course, and your feedback is greatly appreciated. We will make sure to forward this to our staff, and we will keep working to keep the course in shape. Thank you again, and we hope you will be able to see improvements the next time you are with us.

In need of attention

Nice course gone bad unfortunately. I remember when the conditions rivaled private country clubs. Please have someone pay attention to the greens. Bring in a consultant if necessary. It's hard to have fun putting when your ball is bouncing all over the place. Aerate, fertilize, water, whatever it takes, but please get them playable again. Maybe getting some course superintendent interns to work for the summer might be a solution. Anything. We always enjoyed our after work rounds, but not so much anymore. Bartender and pro shop attendant are very nice people. But they must get an earful. Bring it back to a playable course....PLEASE

Response from on 07/05/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Wilkes-Barre Golf Club, in the Pennsylvania area. We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Disgusted

Total shame what has happened to this course over the years. The good; Great Layout. The bad; everything except the Great Layout. I've played this course off and on since moving to this area in 1987 and it's been up and down condition-wise over that period of time. Right now, it is in the absolute worse shape I've seen it and has continued to go down hill over the past 3-4 years. This problem is not the result of poor weather thus far and that cannot be used as an excuse. Lack of financial input to the course as well as the run down pro shop, bar and dining area is glaring. Please, please, please sell or shut down the course altogether. As I stated in the beginning, the layout is great but I'm afraid it's too late to revive this one.

Response from on 06/26/2018:
Hello, on behalf of Wilkes-Barre Golf Club staff we appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns as we are always looking to improve. We are disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the conditions of the course but still hope you enjoyed your round. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.
Response from on 06/14/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to review your experience with us, we truly appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it along to our team. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the 5-star experience that you deserve.

Beyond poor condition

I've been playing golf for 35 years and have played hundreds of courses and have never seen worse greens or sand traps. The tee boxes were below average and the fairways were ok. This course should not even be open.

Response from on 05/29/2018:
Hello Eric, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Wilkes-Barre Golf Club, in the Pennsylvania, Luzerne County area. We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Should not even be open

I've been golfing for 35 years and have played hundreds of course and this was the single worst golf experience bar none. Even at $25.00 for 18 with a cart I felt like I wasted my money . There is more goose crap then grass on the greens and the tee boxes look like the ruff. This course makes Arnold's in Mifflenville look like Augusta national.

Response from on 05/29/2018:

A Real Shame For A Geoffrey Cornish Design!

I'v played Wilkes Barre many times over the years and haven't played for a couple of years until today. It was an unpleasant surprise! The course was in overall poor condition. There was little difference between fairway and rough. The greens had been aerated (which was why the front nine was closed this day) and were just ok but very slow. The traps were mostly just packed dirt.

It's a shame because the course itself is a nice Cornish design and has some challenging holes. I played with a twosome who were on there second time around the back nine that was open ... at least it was good company on an otherwise disappointing visit.

By the way ... the course website doesn't work anymore and tee times are not available thru Golf Now.

A mess! What happened?!?!

I went about 4-5 years between playing Wilkes-Barre Muni due to living outside of the area. All I can say is what happened? This was once one of the better public courses in the area. It was legitimately very nice! It's such a great piece of property!

When I recently played it there were no defined fairways, the greens had barespots and the tee boxes were hacked up. Overall, the entire course was in poor condition. Hopefully they find the resources to bring it back!

Really needs help!

Played in 2014 and it was good. Played in late July 2015 and it seemed as though they never touched a thing since early spring. Hard to find grass on the fairways, bunkers and greens were atrocious. Teed off at 1:30pm, Friday afternoon, got to the 10th hole at 4pm (not too bad) and all of a sudden a league starts. 12 people on the 10th tee. Really? Not recommended at all.

nice municipal course

nice course but wish the city had more money to maintain it better . the pro shop and clubhouse are nothing to write home about, but the course is nice.. the price is right if you go through golfnow and they do offer a decent senior price. if they could just come up to date with the clubhouse and amenities it would become something special..

long course

The weather was overcast but no rain.
the greens had been airated a few weeks ago and were almost grown in. hole s 11 and 12 were the most challenging with water on both. overall a great day and a good course

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania