Olde Stonewall Golf Club

Feudal/Gold 70 5708 yards 67.4 129
Feudal/Gold (W) 70 5708 yards 73.1 132
Rustic/Red 70 5241 yards 69.6 124
Scorecard for Olde Stonewall
Epic M: 74.3/147 569 426 399 434 188 450 174 425 516 3581 463 436 436 400 202 241 474 389 481 3522 7103
Medieval M: 72.4/144 546 392 365 414 174 436 162 374 502 3365 445 412 406 374 180 217 447 371 464 3316 6681
Stonewall M: 70.1/140 W: 75.8/136 518 365 344 375 159 406 150 352 481 3150 427 384 387 334 164 190 387 348 429 3050 6200
Feudal M: 67.2/133 W: 72.9/130 489 332 307 336 129 393 123 328 454 2891 403 343 338 311 137 170 379 325 411 2817 5708
Rustic W: 69.6/120 454 312 281 299 118 368 110 290 429 2661 375 300 302 291 129 159 355 290 379 2580 5241

Year Built 1999
Architect Dr. Michael Hurdzan (1999) Dana Fry (1999)

Practice Hole Yes

Great all around experience

We were about fifteen minutes early to our tee time at Olde Stonewall but wanted to hit some balls. So we asked if we could warm up and push us back on the tee sheet. Not a problem at all. Extremely accommodating. The starter then came to get us on the range when we were next on the tee, about twenty minutes after our initial tee time.

The conditions were fantastic considering the time of the year. I can imagine I would've given it five stars if it were earlier in the season so I almost feel guilty about not giving it five stars.

Pace was great and the starters ensure that groups are spread out enough so we won't be playing up behind anyone or have anyone playing up on us (even though the group behind us did but that's a long story).

I love the clubhouse that's designed like a castle. Truly one of a kind. To make a long story short, this place was fantastic and on par with every other high end public course that I have been to.

#1 Overpriced Course in PA

This is a beautiful course. Well maintained, well manicured, and always in good shape. Nice interesting and unique layout, never too crowded that I've seen.

Several holes are on the slide of a mountain, which are a little sketchy, but easily overlooked on an overall basis.

Plain truth is it's a nice track, and everything is positive except that it is ridiculously overpriced. It's not a $150+ course.

Some articles rate it as Pennsylvania's #1 Public Course. I respectfully disagree. It might be top 10, but no way #1. If you are looking for #1, try Mystic Rock or Bedford Springs? Both Public and closer to worth the large sum of $.

Sorry, again, nice layout and well maintained, but it's just not a $150 course.

Cool Course, Steep Price

I played Olde Stonewall last summer when I was passing through Western PA. The course had been on my bucket list for a few years prior to playing it. The course is littered with memorable holes and the facilities in general are outstanding. Even the locker room was really nice!

Overall, I liked the front 9 a little better than the back. I thought the hole layouts were more traditional. The back 9 is more visually appealing but there's 3 or 4 holes that seemed a bit forced. The two consecutive par 3's on back were very tough imo. The 2nd of which is one of the hardest par 3's I've played (and i've played a ton) given the awkward angle, forced carry and trouble surrounding the green.

While it's a great course and an awesome overall experience I'm not sure it's worth the $150-$175 regular rate given it's location. I paid the $100 twilight fee which I felt was "ok". With all that said, I'd play it again. Just not a peak $$$....

Idaho Advisor

Sometimes, it's okay to judge a book by its cover...

Sometimes, a course just knows how to appeal to you at a very simple level. The back tees at Olde Stonewall are called the “Epic” tees; they are also rated a 74.3 and carry a 149 slope; so, as much primal appeal as they may have had, I stayed away. Which didn’t mean I didn’t get to play from “cool” tees, it was the medieval’s for me (still a knee-knocking 72.4/146). Beyond the names of the tees, there’s the castle (yes a castle!) clubhouse and a staggering amount of rock work throughout the course. Visually, Olde Stonewall hits all the marks.

You can play some golf here as well, and the 140+ slope on all of the first three sets of tees is no joke. Even the front-most tees play to a 127 and 132 respectively; so there is challenge no matter what tees you choose to play. Elevation change, water, well planned landing areas, and forest lined fairways are hallmarks of most holes on this robust track which can play from 5241 all the way out to 7103. Once holding the #50 spot on golf Digests “top 100 courses you can play” list and a “top ten best new courses” winner in 1999 “Epic” seems appropriate.

There are multiple high vista holes throughout the course with fantastic views of the surrounding areas and really elevated tee boxes; for example, the Epic tee box on the 474 yard par four 16th (which I played because once you stand there, there’s no way you are walking back down to the Medieval tees) turned my 220-230 yard 3 wood into a 281 yard “driver.” However, for my money, the best golf hole is the far more sedate number four. This 414 treat plays to water on the right and has a small pine perfectly placed at the edge of the opposite side of the fairway providing just enough to think about on a challenging yet scoreable hole.

In general I found the holes to be a good golf test while still being playable. There weren’t many “gimmick” holes (unless you consider very elevated tee boxes a gimmick); and while most of the golf was straightforward, there were some “target golf” holes for fans of more extensive “game management” as well. The course uses its bunkers, and to a lesser degree water hazards, judiciously to defend landing areas and greens without being overly excessive or punitive. The bent grass greens are also in great shape and play true (which means really paying attention to not just the break of the green but also the flow of the grain or your putting pace could be a real issue).

Olde Stonewall was in fantastic condition and since I was first out, pace of play wasn’t an issue either. When I finished and observed the other groups going out and making the turn, there were no signs that anything had changed in that area after I got on the course. Both the club pro and the starter were engaging and helpful with course information (including an interesting history on how the course came into being), and the grounds crew was attentive and courteous as well.

Oh, one last thing... this is *NOT* a walking course. Tons of elevation change and some pretty long commutes from green to the next tee box. Even if you are up for the hike, there is no way you can walk it without effecting pace of play unless you are the last person on the course for the day.

I really enjoyed my experience at Olde Stonewall and look forward to visiting again.

A must play for any golfer

I have played Olde Stonewall 4 times now and I have never been disappointed. This place is by far the nicest course in PA. The fairways & greens are always in championship conditions. I would recommend that everyone play this course , it's very challenging especially the back 9. Also the staff here is great, they are always happy to help w/ any questions you

May have and never make you feel like you don't belong there no matter how good (or bad like me) of a golfer you are. If you are around the western PA area treat yourself to a round here you will not be disappointed

Has great views and challenging

This course is a must play course.The course has great views elevation changes and is well kept even during the winter months.The staff is very helpful and friendly and they make you feel like your at home.The pro shop is well stocked with top of the line equipment and clothing.This is a course that you must play if your in the western Pa. area..It is a top 5 course in Western Pa and my number 1 course.I wish I would have found it years ago.

Nicest course in western Pa.

A course you can play everyday and never get bored with it. Beautiful greens . Lots of sand. Spectacular views. Great practice facilities. Bring your A game. Or bring some extra balls. Play the white tees unless your a 5 or below handicap.

Doesn't Get Any Better!

There is no better place to play than Olde Stonewall. The course is kept in impeccable shape, every hole is better than the next, the views are incredible, the greens run true and fast, its beauty is second to none and the staff makes you feel like its your home. It truly a special place to play.

On top of all the amenities, pro shop has all the name apparel and new clubs at lower than big box stores. If all that does not bring you out, the restaurant is top notch.

Olde Stonewall needs to be on your don't miss list.

Ellwood City, Pennsylvania