Totteridge Golf Course

• 2029 Totteridge Drive, Greensburg, Pennsylvania 15601, Westmoreland County
  • www.totteridge.com

Year built: 2001
Architect(s): Rees Jones (2001), Steve Weisser (2001)
Type: Public
Style: Links
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass

Dress code: Proper golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

"Very enjoyable"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/21/2017
First time playing Walked Hot weather

I really enjoyed the course. The terrain is quite hilly and the designer did a nice job of incorporating the hills into the layout. There is very little water and is generally pretty forgiving if you're accuracy is a little off. Sand traps weren't great... extremely firm.

CCCCW's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

"Pretty nice place to play"

triplesierra's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2017

Good place to play golf. Generous fairways, smooth, true-rolling greens. Facilities are spartan, but they have a very nice range.

"Other-Worldly Experience"

branedamag's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This course is mostly a treeless, windswept moonscape. On many holes, there are no trees or other visual reference points, and distances can be illusory. I happen to like such courses, so I consider that a plus. The front 9 is virtually all open; the back is a little more hilly and has more visual definition, so there's a good variety there. Conditions were excellent. The fronts of most greens are cut perpendicular to the fairway in a straight line, inviting a bump and run, but care must be taken to avoid running right off the quick surfaces. I particularly liked #17, a shortish par-4 with an elevated tee and angled fairway. Pick your shot and strategy on this one. In all, one of my favorite recent courses.

"Hidden Gem"

NickFalvo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

I found the course through Top Ten Public Course rankings, and played it due to it's proximity to I-76.

Beautiful layout, great vistas, and lots of elevation changes.

It's been mentioned this was a private club before turning public. I don't see how the clubhouse was a private clubhouse.

Practice facility was well maintained and amply supplied. Piece of advice: warm up from the far end of the practice range, where trees on the left side won't cut into the range.

The course itself is challenging but fair. Having no local knowledge, the course really was a "what you see is what you get" except for maybe blind 3 tee shots -- 3, 6, and 12 - which were all holes with downhill slopes and open.

Despite playing on a Tuesday, the course was busy and parking lot was full. We teed off shortly after 2:00 and was done by 6:15. One complaint was that a single player jumped in front of us making the turn on 10, while avoiding what seemed to be a league teeing off on 1 at the same time. This was after we were already waiting on the threesome ahead of us on the front 9. While the single did play through the threesome, we called the pro-shop to get a Marshall out. Marshall told us it was the owner of the course and he can do whatever he wants, and that we shouldn't press him. Talk about customer appreciation.

All in all, fun course, very playable, very fair. Would play this course again.

"Great Course"

Josscue's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

I only get to play this course once a year. I use GolfNow frequently to book tee times and this course is only listed in the spring. I look forward to playing this course every year. The course layout is beautiful. The greens are true and fast with carpet lined fairways. Very thick rough so you must keep it in the fairway. The clubhouse is small, hot dogs and hamburgers are the menu. I would play this course a lot if they would offer up some decent fares online. A must play if you are visiting the area.

"Totter"

tmando33's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2016

Drove 4 hours to see the US open at oakmont and decided to play some courses on our way back...this course exceeded expectations, very fairly priced...the greens were very fast and true, the layout was interesting and the course was challenging especially off the tee (miss the fairway and you'll have some goofy lies)...i very very very much recommend this course, and I would drive 4 hours to play again

"Mediocre"

Hacker1999's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

This used to be an excellent course when it was a private club , the condition is poor , the greens and tees were good but the rest of the course was disappointing , rough had a lot of holes in it and there were weeds throughout the layout. The practice area is awesome a huge tee and two short game areas , its a shame that they can't keep the course up because this is a well designed golf course.

"Best in Pittsburgh area"

birdieman601's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Fantastic course that I have played over 10 times since it opened in 2002. Fairways were in excellent conditions except for the golfers who do not replace their divots, but the star of the course in layout and greens. Greens were immaculate with a very ball marks that were not fixed, but some golfers just don't care. Bunkers were firm but easy to hit out of. A few footprints in bunkers were noticed, but golfers need to rake the bunkers. Please play this course if you live within 2 hours of this course. You will not be disappointed.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Great course but need to work on the bunkers"

Greg5241689's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2015

I always wanted to play this course but never got the chance to play it. So I treated myself for my 30th birthday and went out. Great course, fast but fair greens. Played from the whites and it was a good challenge...can't wait to go back and play from the blues or championship tees.

Oh downside is the bunkers. They aren't consistent. One could be field with what my buddy and I called, "kids play sand." The next one could be hard/dirt like sand. And some are filled in with grass. I know bunkers are hazards but just wish they were a little more consistent.

Overall, great course. Plus...Monday and Tuesday's, $39 gets you golf with a cart, hotdog and fountain drink at the turn. Great deal!!

"Hidden Gem"

tkarlik's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2015
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Fairways and greens were excellent.<br/> They are losing some of the bunkers.<br/> I enjoy this course very much because it rewards good play and penalizes poor decisions.

Best public course in the Pittsburgh area. I would play here more often if it were easier to drive to.

"A gem worth looking for!"

abwnd76's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/29/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Totteridge was designed by Rees Jones and was originally opened as a private club. It has now opened to the public within the last few years and is managed by Foresight Golf. I have been wanting to play this course for a few years, as I usually enjoy Rees Jones designs, but live in Florida. I go back to PA several days a month to assist in elder-care matters with my parents.

I got the chance to play the course on 6/29/15 after several days and a few inches of rain. Since my parents live 40 miles from the course, I called to ask about availability to play and was encouraged to come out. When I got out there, all of the staff were friendly and welcoming and they had a $39 rate for Monday that included a soft drink and hot dog at the turn. Rates run from $39-$57 and they do have senior rates (60-69) and super senior rates for golfers over 70.

I played the course solo as the group getting ready to approach the first tee asked me to go ahead of them, and played the 18 holes from the Blue Tees which measure 6,659 yards. There are five sets of tees ranging from 5,307 yards to 7,154 yards. Course and slope ratings run from 66.4/122 to 75.8/139 for men and 72.4/129 to 79.1/143 for women.

I teed off about 1:15PM and was finished at 5:08PM on a day that seemed pretty busy as there were a lot of cars in the parking lot. While I waited on a few shots on the group in front of me, I was just relaxing and enjoying the beautiful scenery and elevation changes.

While I had never played the course before, I did have a Sky Caddie with me to help me with distances and hazards. I only remember two blind shots on the course as the rest of the course featured elevation changes and the holes and landing areas were mostly visible from the tees and approach shots.

The greens were in excellent shape and putted very true and steady. Teeing areas seemed a little spongy since there had been so much rain in the several days ahead of play. In spite of the large amount of water, the course seemed to drain well enough that workers were out there mowing and working on the tees and fairways. I also noticed that tee shots still bounced in fairways in spite of the extensive amount of rain the course had received in the prior couple days.

According to the staff person I talked to, there are 80 traps on the course and many of them had been washed out or looked like they were being allowed to grow over. This did create a little confusion as I was unsure if some of the traps were washed out, were ground under repair, or what. I played everything down. The staffer I talked to indicated that they were reducing the number of traps from 80 to 30 something because of the extensive maintenance required and I believe to reduce costs.

With the exception of the condition of the traps, Totteridge's only disadvantage is that it is literally located in the middle of farm country and not well marked to get there. It is 3.6 miles south of Route 22 on Hannastown Road and easy to find.

I really enjoyed the course in spite of the course being so soggy and can't wait to go back and play it again when the course is dry.

"Long and narrow, but fun!"

twocrabs's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Great conditioning of fairways and greens, but the cart path manager should be whipped!<br/> Almost all drives required an accurate placement, or there was trouble due to choke points. Greens were excellent, and the course really drains well after a big rain, as it did a day before we played here.<br/> Very generous tees for the ladies, and really helped my wife stay "in the game"!<br/> Visually an excellent course, and some holes were very rewarding! A good value, we paid $115 for two with cart and range balls.<br/> This is a true championship course, so bring your A game!<br/> We will play here again!

"Acidental Treasure."

kliener's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2014

Found Totterridge by accident, what a great surprise. Friendly staff, beautiful layout, great course conditions. Will definitely go back.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Great links design!"

Moneyball4454's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2013

This is the best public course in Pittsburgh when you consider design, condition, and price. This was meant to be private I was told but converted when the homesites didn't sell. Rees Jones did a great job on this one. 7,000+ from the tips is no joke either.