Year Built 2000
Architect Bobby Weed (2000)

Practice Hole Yes

Dress code Collared shirt required

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Pennsylvania (2017 #20)

Conditions have been better

Course was in good shape, but the conditions have been better. The practice range was really rough. Still a great course and a very good value at $60 with the Sunday NFL special.

Cart path only; but still a great outing

Following torrential rain the day before we were concerned we might not be able to play; but the course had recovered well. Cart path only to preserve the fairways was the right call. Plenty of wildlife on hoof and paw.

New York Advisor

A Challenge

Our first time playing , so the many blind shots were difficult (but they're only blind once). Rough was deep, hadn't been cut because of the rain, so there was some time spent searching for balls. Fairways were tight, especially on the back 9. The greens are huge, could be 3 clubs difference depending on the pin placement. Would not be and easy walk. It is a big course (5 hour round). And I would never play it if it was cart path only.

Great layout. Current conditions leave much to be desired.

I've played this course many times but the current conditions do not match the great layout. Possibly it's due to the wet weather but the greens are abysmal at best. Running maybe 7-8, pitch marks everywhere and you can't get a true roll on a putt without hitting it with a pace that puts the ball 5 ft by on a miss. If the course was in the $50-60 range I could live with the conditions given how great the layout is. Unless they offer a discount don't even consider going for a couple months until they get the greens in better shape.

Philly Advisor

Varied and fun

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. It had a lot of variety, with trees in some areas, water others, none on some more. Some holes made you place shots, and few let you rip it. It was very quiet and it was one of the more enjoyable my rounds I’ve played all year.

Conditions were very good, even with the very rain filled summer we’ve had. Nothing bad to comment on.

Pace of play was excellent given how busy it was. All the golfers I came across were knowledgeable and Appreciated the time out from work.

The staff were good. One Marshall was a bit too zealous several times, as in telling us one time as he calculated our pace of play on a sheet and noticed us what time we should be at the next tee, oh wait, you’re ahead of schedule... he needed a chill pill. Made us laugh a bit, since no group was in front of us and we’d left the ones behind us two holes back.

I learned that the profits support a school for children, I think teenagers, with some struggles, Andy they have the kids help with course maintenance.

Really a good day, course and you get to help some kids. It’s worth playing

Decent but overpriced

Lots of blind shots and fescue/junk. Must be able to play target golf. A few of the greens are kind of dumb with all of the undulations. The greens today were rolling at maybe a 5, which was super annoying. Typical public course nonsense like slow play from duffers who act like they own the place, unfilled divots everywhere, and unfixed ball marks on the green. It’s honestly not worth what they charge but enjoyable now and then.

One of the best daily fee courses I've ever played

I played The Golf Course at Glen Mills during a recent business trip to Philadelphia. Had played another course (Broadrun) the day before which is in the same area and was a beautiful user friendly layout (Ishot 78). and thought Glen Mills would be more of the same (NOT!). Fortunately, I played with a local (former club champ and very nice guy) who knew the course well. He recommended the blue tees as the tips might be a bit challenging for a first timer like me. Boy was he right, Literally every tee provided a great if not intimidating look. Other than a birdie on the 9th hole, this beautiful course absolutely chewed me up and spit me out.

As I said to my playing partners, I never had so much fun getting my butt kicked by a golf course. Perhaps it would play easier from the white tees, but with narrow fairways, deep rough, many well positioned bunkers and multi elevation greens, this course reminded me of mountain golf courses I grew up playing but was much tougher, I'm a solid 6 index and probably shot in the 90's. I say probably because there were several X's on the card.

I don't want to scare anyone off, but this course is something special and if you're a casual golfer or beginner, please play somewhere else, I have a score (pun intended) to settle with The Golf Course at Glen Mills and despite living 2000 miles away, I will be back. If I lived closer, this would be the course I could happily play every week. I've been playing for over 50 years and this is one of the best ever.

A Top Philly Metro Muni

Played on hot humid summer day and walked and carried, great workout - not for everyone! No 2 holes are alike, plenty of elevation changes and angles, blind tee shots - was fortunate to play with a local. Had to get to Philly airport and was within 20 minutes. Staff very friendly and customer oriented. I will play here again next time in Philly, for sure!

Challenging course with little forgiveness

The Golf Course at Glen Mills is always in great condition and the pace of play right at 4 hours thanks to 12 minute tee times. Requires accuracy more than distance. Found blue tees to offer more of a variety of approach shots compared to white tees where I found myself hitting driver-wedge on most par 4s. Keeping the ball on the short grass is the key and knowing the grain on the greens.

1st time playing GM

My expectations were extremely high going in.
Not a good start as I got possibly the worst hotdog on a soggy bun to eat before my round. Then to the range. Another bad experience. Balls were cut up, scuffed, and just in all around poor shape. They were balls found on the course. Time to start my round. I was only able to get 9 holes in due to bad weather. Great layout of holes. Greens were very bumpy and in not so great shape. Every putt my ball would bounce. Fairways were in great shape. I will play 18 at half price when I return with my rain check. I will be sure to not hit driver on most holes. I putt myself in bad positions hitting driver. Positioning is extremely important on this course. And I will bring my own food. All in all its a beautiful course. Just needs a better range and better food. Hopefully the greens improve.

Very disappointing

I have played The Golf Course at Glen Mills a number of times and it has always been a treat. The layout is great with the course demanding quality shots and forcing a variety of them as well. When my buddies and I were finally getting out to play, I suggested Glen Mills over another well rated golf course. The outside staff were great - engaging and fun. The shop attendant was another story. Very little personality and no conversation while taking the $98 payment. From there we went to the range to loosen up - which was not included in the fee. The range was unmowed and the range balls were all recycled from the golf course. Many were cut up and offered some interesting flight due to age. Once we got out on the golf course, the conditions certainly did not live up to our previous experience or expectation. The tee areas were shaggy and the turf was in rough shape. The greens - which have been historically wonderful - were patchy and rough, not offering smooth roll. Overall, it was disappointing and I hope that they are able to get things back in shape.

Green not worth your $$$$

We had a group of 17 guys out here on Saturday starting at 3PM and played for $68. All in all it sounded great!

I love the course layout. Makes you hit solid golf shots all day. I respect the golf course! On Saturday it was lush from tee box, to fairway, to rough, & then you get on the greens and it might as well have been Clayton Park. Sure they were fast, sure they didn't hold, they were brown & bumpy. Plain and simple it was a pure let down. Can we not imaging how people felt paying full price Saturday morning. I didn't feel like it was worth my $68 to putt on those greens.

White Clayton Creek and Rock Manor, both greens in better shape!

Tricky one

Had a great day at The Golf Course at Glen Mills. I stayed in downtown Philly and it took around 40 min to get there. Great greens and all together an fantastic experience!

Great Course!!

This course is a real gem and you will use more clubs in your bag than a normal round. This is not a driver, pitching wedge type of course. You are rewarded for solid shots and punished for the miss hits. The real defense of this course is the greens. The day we played the pins were "random" and we had no idea where they were. With the size of the greens and the undulations this made a huge difference. This is a must play for everyone...even though it can be a bit expensive in prime time....can't wait to play again this summer.

You have to play here

What a beautiful challlenging course. We drove 2 1/2 hours and it was well worth it.

Simply the best course in the area!

We play Glenn Mills at least once to twice every month or so in our rotation. Especially with the cost of $60.00 at this time of year there isn't a course around that can touch this course. Even when there rate is $100.00 there are a few courses in a 50 mile radius that can compare to Glenn Mills that is public. I played many of the private courses around and I would put Glenn Mills against most of them as well. You will not find a course in a better condition this time of year or anytime of year. You always know the course conditions are going to be top notch. Never a let down at this course and a true gem. Will always be in my top 5 private and public.

Amazing value

This course is beautiful and one of the nicest public courses I've ever played, especially for the money. It is not crazy long but there are plenty of challenging holes. I would definitely play here again! Loved the layout!

What was it's no longer...

This course has always been to notch. Not sure what's going on with the conditions but they're not keeping up with their reputation. Dissapointed greatly but at least the price was reasonable. Not sure if I'll play it again this year. Greens especially were furry and there were divots EVERYWHERE. Cut grass all over the place. Driving range is really bad.

u000004989554
Commented On 08/29/2016

Are you sure you where at Glen Mills ? I was there Sunday and found the course to be in great shape. You do know they don't bag the grass clippings like you have to in Havertown, ,right ?
I don't think the Grounds Crew puts the divots in the fairway or on the greens ( hint ) it's the people who are driving around with golf clubs. I'm sure nobody will miss you if you don't play there again this year,, or next and the next......

Mike B

Best public course in the Philly area. This place is worth the price of admission.

Always a challenge !

Played the fourth tees on a cold, late autumn day. Very difficult in the weather, should have played whites tees (which I recommend to all) as it would have been more enjoyable. Course in good shape, just wish lazy golfers would replace their divots!

Concordville, Pennsylvania