Glen Mills Golf Course

Practice hole: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirt required

Stroke 71 6646 yards 71.7 141
Green (W) 71 5430 yards 70.9 127

Challenges include undulating greens narrow fairways

"A Top Philly Metro Muni"

AceGerard's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017
First time playing Walked Hot weather

Played on hot humid summer day and walked and carried, great workout - not for everyone! No 2 holes are alike, plenty of elevation changes and angles, blind tee shots - was fortunate to play with a local. Had to get to Philly airport and was within 20 minutes. Staff very friendly and customer oriented. I will play here again next time in Philly, for sure!

"Challenging course with little forgiveness"

bambiklr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

The Golf Course at Glen Mills is always in great condition and the pace of play right at 4 hours thanks to 12 minute tee times. Requires accuracy more than distance. Found blue tees to offer more of a variety of approach shots compared to white tees where I found myself hitting driver-wedge on most par 4s. Keeping the ball on the short grass is the key and knowing the grain on the greens.

"1st time playing GM"

None's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2017

My expectations were extremely high going in.

Not a good start as I got possibly the worst hotdog on a soggy bun to eat before my round. Then to the range. Another bad experience. Balls were cut up, scuffed, and just in all around poor shape. They were balls found on the course. Time to start my round. I was only able to get 9 holes in due to bad weather. Great layout of holes. Greens were very bumpy and in not so great shape. Every putt my ball would bounce. Fairways were in great shape. I will play 18 at half price when I return with my rain check. I will be sure to not hit driver on most holes. I putt myself in bad positions hitting driver. Positioning is extremely important on this course. And I will bring my own food. All in all its a beautiful course. Just needs a better range and better food. Hopefully the greens improve.

"Very disappointing"

Golfdad03's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2017

I have played The Golf Course at Glen Mills a number of times and it has always been a treat. The layout is great with the course demanding quality shots and forcing a variety of them as well. When my buddies and I were finally getting out to play, I suggested Glen Mills over another well rated golf course. The outside staff were great - engaging and fun. The shop attendant was another story. Very little personality and no conversation while taking the $98 payment. From there we went to the range to loosen up - which was not included in the fee. The range was unmowed and the range balls were all recycled from the golf course. Many were cut up and offered some interesting flight due to age. Once we got out on the golf course, the conditions certainly did not live up to our previous experience or expectation. The tee areas were shaggy and the turf was in rough shape. The greens - which have been historically wonderful - were patchy and rough, not offering smooth roll. Overall, it was disappointing and I hope that they are able to get things back in shape.

"Green not worth your $$$$"

joecoffeyiii's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

We had a group of 17 guys out here on Saturday starting at 3PM and played for $68. All in all it sounded great!

I love the course layout. Makes you hit solid golf shots all day. I respect the golf course! On Saturday it was lush from tee box, to fairway, to rough, & then you get on the greens and it might as well have been Clayton Park. Sure they were fast, sure they didn't hold, they were brown & bumpy. Plain and simple it was a pure let down. Can we not imaging how people felt paying full price Saturday morning. I didn't feel like it was worth my $68 to putt on those greens.

White Clayton Creek and Rock Manor, both greens in better shape!

"Tricky one"

pottoj's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2017

Had a great day at The Golf Course at Glen Mills. I stayed in downtown Philly and it took around 40 min to get there. Great greens and all together an fantastic experience!

"Great Course!!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017

This course is a real gem and you will use more clubs in your bag than a normal round. This is not a driver, pitching wedge type of course. You are rewarded for solid shots and punished for the miss hits. The real defense of this course is the greens. The day we played the pins were "random" and we had no idea where they were. With the size of the greens and the undulations this made a huge difference. This is a must play for everyone...even though it can be a bit expensive in prime time....can't wait to play again this summer.

"You have to play here"

Yanagisawa's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2017

What a beautiful challlenging course. We drove 2 1/2 hours and it was well worth it.

"Simply the best course in the area!"

Mmeighan52's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2017

We play Glenn Mills at least once to twice every month or so in our rotation. Especially with the cost of $60.00 at this time of year there isn't a course around that can touch this course. Even when there rate is $100.00 there are a few courses in a 50 mile radius that can compare to Glenn Mills that is public. I played many of the private courses around and I would put Glenn Mills against most of them as well. You will not find a course in a better condition this time of year or anytime of year. You always know the course conditions are going to be top notch. Never a let down at this course and a true gem. Will always be in my top 5 private and public.

"Amazing value"

rgeorgetti3's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This course is beautiful and one of the nicest public courses I've ever played, especially for the money. It is not crazy long but there are plenty of challenging holes. I would definitely play here again! Loved the layout!

"What was it's no longer..."

tylerlemm's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2016

This course has always been to notch. Not sure what's going on with the conditions but they're not keeping up with their reputation. Dissapointed greatly but at least the price was reasonable. Not sure if I'll play it again this year. Greens especially were furry and there were divots EVERYWHERE. Cut grass all over the place. Driving range is really bad.

Commented on 08/29/2016

Are you sure you where at Glen Mills ? I was there Sunday and found the course to be in great shape. You do know they don't bag the grass clippings like you have to in Havertown, ,right ?

I don't think the Grounds Crew puts the divots in the fairway or on the greens ( hint ) it's the people who are driving around with golf clubs. I'm sure nobody will miss you if you don't play there again this year,, or next and the next......

"Mike B"

mikeboland55's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Best public course in the Philly area. This place is worth the price of admission.

"Always a challenge !"

skean53's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/17/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Played the fourth tees on a cold, late autumn day. Very difficult in the weather, should have played whites tees (which I recommend to all) as it would have been more enjoyable. Course in good shape, just wish lazy golfers would replace their divots!

"Great to Look at. Very Challenging to Play"

ewing384's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I will preface this by saying that I played very poorly. I tend to rank courses higher when I play a good round there.

Advice: play a set of tees more forward than usual.

Everyone I met at the course was very friendly and helpful. The course marshal stopped by several times and visited with me. He gave me a few tips and hints on how to play the course. I must have not listened because I seemed to find a lot of trouble.

The conditions of the course was very good. I played later in the afternoon and there may have been a lot of play that day. Several players had a hard time picking up their feet as they walked. Or maybe they were doing some line dancing on the greens. Either way there were a lot of track marks all over the greens. I can't say they caused any issues with my putting though.

I mostly enjoyed the front 9. Many of the holes were playable and open. There were a few blind holes but for the most part you knew what you needed to do on the tee. The rough was pretty gnarly and the greens were very firm and very fast. I would say that the pin placements and the overall contours of the green bordered on being unfair. Well maybe not unfair but extremely challenging. On the first hole I was 15' away for birdie. I left that putt 3' short and it rolled down a hill to almost 20' away. I totally missed that much break.

#7 was 230 yrds to the pin, uphill, into the wind. Needless to say I didn't hit a good shot. Once I got to the green to see the putting surface I couldn't believe the size and the contours on the green. Absolutely ridiculous. No green should be designed this way. Bobby Weed needs to give up golf course design if he thinks this was a good idea.

I turned to the back 9 and the poor design just got worse. 10 was very cool to look at off the tee. I played 195 yrds from the back and the green was huge. I hit a decent shot in the middle of the green. Once I reached the green I realiezed the green had a huge slope in the middle. I was on the wrong side of the slope. I bet it was 3-4' high in slope with side break and the pin was 4' from another slope. I left the putt 20' short because I was afraid to miss long. Luckily I finally made a putt for par. #11 is crazy narrow with trouble everywhere. I played this hole poorly after thinking off the tee I had hit the fairway. I still have no idea how to play #12. I think there is fairway out there but not totally sure. #13 is extremely long. 14 was a cool uphill par 3 with a lot of trouble in front. The green was tough to putt even though I was about 12' away. 15 is a fun hole until you get to the green. There is a "ditch" in the middle of the green. I didn't have to negotiate that so I hold no grudge against this design element. #17 may be the worst par 5 I have ever played. My garage might be wider than any part of the fairway. At least Bobby Weed decided to slant the fairway right to left so to make the fairway even more narrow. The approach to the green is scary. Bunkers left and a huge hill to the right with 3' grass up the hill. No way you will find a ball if you hit it in there.

I did not enjoy my round at all. Part of that was due to playing poorly and part was due to the extreme difficulty. Keep in mind that I am a 7 handicap.

Like I mentioned earlier, the course condition were very good. Many of the holes were absolutely gorgeous to look at. They were a terror to play. I bet weekend rounds at this course are probably 5.5-6.5 hours.

I've played some of the hardest golf courses in the U.S. (Ocean Course, Sawgrass, Tabacco Road, Tot Hill Farm, Royal New Kent and others.) but for some reason this course felt as hard or harder.

I would not discourage anyone from giving this course a try and draw your own conclusions. It is a very beautiful course with great conditions. The people seem nice and the setting is peaceful and scenic.

"Glen Mills"

kevinrmac's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2015
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Glen Mills continues to be the best public option in the Greater Philadelphia Area. Course is always in great shape and the staff ensure that proper pace is kept. A great track for us locals to enjoy & I highly recommend visitors to the area to go out of there way to play a round here.

"tough track"

sfre50's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/21/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes

Always struggle here.

The front is a much more forgiving 9, first 3 holes have little trouble but then you start to get into holes with no area to miss. 7 is a club long green, 8 is dead left and right, 11 is the narrowest holes around so is 17. I always lose a ton of balls at Glen Mills.

A very beautiful course in good shape, many memorable shots - but just a grind to play if you aren't accurate off the tee.

It's also not cheap.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Great front-tight semi tricked up back =good course"

Matthew3304221's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2015

first time playing. 4.5 handicap. Played the tips. I was impressed by conditions and overall quality of design. The front nine is by far the better side. Green contouring and bunkering were exceptional. Was very impressed. Then i made the turn and was honestly a bit let down by some of the fairways. Why. They are very tight with usually no side to miss on. If your ball missed on the bad side. Ball gone forever. If you missed on the good side. Maybe find it usually with a poor enough lie that an approach to the green not an option. Seems wetlands have caused this and a bit squeezed in it felt. Most green approaches had danger on both sides so be accurate. Not here to bash because it is a very nice course but difficulty off some tees and some approaches would hamper daily play.

"Really Nice Golf Course - Fun to Play"

JeffNygaard's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

5 handicap that played middle tees (about 6100 yds) .. not sure I'd want to play more than that as many landing areas are very narrow. Beautiful course in excellent shape. Greens are outstanding. Every hole .. and I mean every hole .. has an outstanding view and is laid out beautifully.

Had a blast and would play again and again.

"Great track! A must play!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/21/2015

So let me start by saying that I will be giving you an overall opinion based on what playing conditions and amenities a course of this caliber and price point should portray. The greens fees can certainly be a little pricey depending on when you play. We teed off at 3:00 pm and paid 65.00 each which is great except they also charged me 6.00 for a yardage book and another 5.00 for range balls which should most certainly be included in the greens fees at this type of facility. Staff was great, very friendly and informative in every way. The course was in really good shape in almost every way. It rained pretty hard the night before, so the greens were a little slower then normal which is expected. No biggie. The fairways were great and we were able to play it down without any ridiculous lies even after all the rain this week, the rough was well rough haha though it was good playable rough that would allow you to hit a good shot with a good swing, and overall the course is as close as you can get to Tour quality conditions at a public facility in this area. The only thing I could say about conditions at all was that there was a good bit of clover as well as some nasty weeds around the edges of some bunkers. I am a 2nd assistant superintendent and I know that these are things that are easily resolved and I would like to see it resolved though if that's all I can find wrong with it then hey that's pretty freakin awesome in my opinion!! Most importantly this track is one of my favorite layouts I have ever played. It's not super long, it's not super tricky, it's just a good, solid,fair test of golf that everyone from an average Joe weekend warrior to a touring pro can really really enjoy!! This is an amazing golf course that everyone should try to play at least once!!!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Best public course in the area"

z03shm's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2015

I love this course. I think it's a bit over priced. Course is usually in perfect condition. I was surprised to see some stuff on Couple of the greens. It's tough and challenging. It's not a course you can just blast away. If you're not from this area it's a must play. There is no alcohol on the course.