Type Private/Resort
White 72 6821 yards
Green 72 6365 yards
Red 72 5655 yards
Scorecard for Montgomerie Course
Blue M: 74.9/131 456 414 220 605 474 394 192 552 391 3698 465 477 210 338 408 554 462 176 513 3603 7301
White M: 73.1/123 419 386 199 559 443 365 173 514 367 3425 438 450 194 322 380 523 430 162 497 3396 6821
Green M: 70.7/121 W: 71.7/123 389 356 184 529 407 336 168 484 333 3186 407 413 173 303 353 500 400 145 485 3179 6365
Red W: 70.2/119 349 324 151 480 372 295 138 439 298 2846 360 379 156 262 315 444 348 122 423 2809 5655

Year Built 2003
Architect Colin Montgomerie (2003) European Golf Design. (2003)

Carts Yes - EUR 40

Caddies Yes
Golf Simulator Yes

Amazing Food 6

Leisure play

The was in excellent condition, the day was sunny so may have made the course a bit easier to play, but it still was quite the challenge. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The price was excellent. It is a long course so on a hot day a kart may be better option.

Great Course in great conditions. Fast greens that gave us some hard times.

Carton House

Surprised to see no starter at first tee

also

That the burger bar has gone at the tenth tee

Play was extremely slow

Nice Course; Not Quite as Challenging as Montgomery Course

Played at 0730 on a Saturday morning. Course is in excellent condition. Fairways and bunkers are 5/5. Vast majority of greens are the same....there are a couple that are still improving from the winter.

Course layout is long (not as long as Montgomery), and there are far, far fewer fairway bunkers. Likewise bunkers protecting the greens on O'Meara are far less intimidating than the canyons you will find everywhere on Montgomery.

If I had to choose between the two courses at Carton House, I'd play O'Meara over Montogomery. O'Meara has better variety and rewards club selection over power. You still have a few holes where you can/need to crank a drive, but I think the O'Meara course provides a better opportunity for an enjoyable round of golf.

Interestingly, my score was 3 strokes lower on Montgomery (I'm a 14) but I think over time that would flip around.

Have fun. Great support staff and facilities at Carton House. I played there at 0945 after arriving from Dublin on my way to the west coast of Ireland, and we played there yesterday at 0730 before I dropped a friend at airport for a 1500 flight.

Great Day of Golf

I had a wonderful round of golf on the Montgomery course. Staff was incredibly helpful.

I arrived by plane from the states at 0630 and I was on the course after a great breakfast at 1000.

The breakfast buffet at the hotel is 15 Eu but worth it if you are playing a morning round.

Montgomery course is in great shape. Course plays long and wind works as your friend or foe. Fairway bunkers are sinister and were placed by someone who seemed to think, "I dare you to try to hit over this.". Most greens are surrounded by a series of bunkers deep enough to park a small truck in. ... overall a very challenging but fun course. A great place to leave your ego at the first tee box and just have fun.

A special shout-out to the staff. I was a single and I booked onto a threesome. When I arrived the threesome had shown up with a 4th person. Staff in clubhouse was great (thanks to the Carol or Catherine...sorry I had jet lag) for all your help and hospitality....you made day 1 of a 30 day solo golf trip truly special.

Lovely Track

Wet and windy day but no complaints about the drainage as the course was in great nick. One complaint i would have was that the bunkers were out of play as they were supposed to be frozen over but they definitely were not. Also for some reason the changing facilities and the driving range were not available so that wasn't great but the putting/pitching area was enough for us.

Commented On 02/18/2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Our driving range generally runs from April-October each year as ground conditions must allow for efficient golf ball collection with the various types of machinery that we use for collection purposes. We have recently refurbished our locker rooms as part of an overall Clubhouse improvement program - temporary changing facilities were available in the hotel with relevant signage in place - I am sorry to hear that you were not advised this on the day of your visit. In regard to bunkers, if you could provide more details on the date, time and course that you played I would be delighted to investigate more for you with our team of greenkeepers. We look forward to welcoming you back to Carton!

Classy course well cared for

Played in January and greens were close to perfect.
Rough cut back which made it easier but not complaining
Good challenge even so and value for money

Commented On 02/18/2019

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback - delighted to hear that ! We look forward to welcoming you back soon again to Carton

It's was a lovely course to play... a bit tough aswell...but enjoyable..

Commented On 01/15/2019

Many tanks for taking the time to submit this review. I wonder which course you played? The Montgomerie - host to 3 Irish Opens on The European Tour - is generally considered as the more challenging of our two courses. Perhaps there will be a future opportunity to welcome you again to Carton so that you can compare and contrast ! Best wishes from all at Carton House Golf

Plug marks

For the time of year, the course was in great condition. However, every green had 10 to 12 unrepaired plug marks. This is not the fault of the course but reflects badly on those golfers playing it.

Also the club bar was closed so we had to use the hotel for refreshments. €3.95 for coffee and €12.95 for a sandwich is completely over the top.

Commented On 01/15/2019

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to submit this review. We are delighted to hear that you were impressed with the quality of the courses.

Unrepaired pitch marks are a challenge that every courses faces in spite of best efforts to remind and educate. We hope to welcome you to Carton House again soon!

Commented On 01/15/2019

Many thanks for the great response! We hope to welcome you to Carton House again soon

Course was in good order. The only complaint I have is the driving range was not open for warm up.

Commented On 01/15/2019

Hi there. Many thanks for the review!

Our driving range in front of the hotel closes during the winter (as is normal) and will reopen around April. The GUI National Academy range may have been an option depending on the time of day that you played at. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Montgomery coarse

Played here mid week twilight, great value for money although I found this a lot tougher than the O Meara track I look forward to playing both again very soon would highly recommend either

Memorable experience

Everything about this course was amazing . this was my first time playing golf in Ireland it was a perfect day. From breakfast to the 19th hole I could not ask for anything else . This facility has such a rich history before it was a golf course i would check it out prior to coming . I never review anything and I felt that this was a day that deserved it. My next trip to Ireland I will definitely come back

Long and difficult walk, no water and no facilities on course, challenging and difficult course, but a great experience.

Played Montgomerie Course, not the O'Meara Course, so all my comments apply to Montgomerie Course. This is a very long course to walk. 4 hours plus to play, not because of slow play but because of long walk. Long distances from clubhouse to the course, and between holes. Difficult layout with deep, deep rough off the fairways, deep bunkers liberally distributed throughout the fairways and green-side. Don't expect to find balls hit into the deep, lush rough. No water or bathroom facilities on course, don't get back to clubhouse until you finish 18. A real challenging golf course. If you normally shoot in 80s, expect to have difficulty breaking 100. But it is beautiful. Winning score -14 by Paul Casey at Irish Open on this course in 2013 says something about difficulty.

Excellent

All round I can’t think of any complaints for the day
can’t wait to go back and try the monty coarse also , the back 9 are something special especially with the sun shining

Monty is awesome

Great course in great condition. Tee times could be arranged and marshalled better but frost delay had an impact on all times.

Dunboyne, County Meath