Style Traditional/Links

Stretching over 320 acres in the southwest area, Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club (previously known as Royal Dunes) transforms mostly flat terrain into a challenging course that uses practically twice the amount of land a standard course. The course incorporates superb landscaping featuring towering mounds and hollow valleys for an interesting and scenic game. This desert golf course has wide fairways and generous landing areas. The dunes-style layout requires precision from tee to green. The difficulty of the golf course lies within the deep, strategically placed sand bunkers, multi-tiered greens, and native grass roughs. Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club provides adequate challenge for players of any skill level.

Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club

Year Built 2002
Golf Season Year round. Closed on Mondays from June 1 - August 31st
Architect Brian Curley (2002) Fred Couples (2002) Lee E. Schmidt (2002)

Caddies Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Arizona (2018 #11) (2017 #4) (2016 #1) (2015 #17)
  • Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2017 #28) (2016 #6)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2016 #2)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2016 #21)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2016 #23)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2016 #4)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 45

Super fun course!

Just a blast to play. Lots of sandtraps, but all in excellent condition. A course that makes you think.

Return visit, still a good course

This course is on our banker list. It's a bit of a drive away from our Hotel in Scottsdale but worth it. There was a tournament on the day we played so there was some pretty mean pin positions but the course we in great shape. We booked an 11am time however they let us start early, which we good. It's just a nice and varied course and I'd recommend this track to any visiting golfers. Drinks and food on the Pati after, seemed a little steep but that's for you to decide. We'll play here again when we return.

one of the best courses in the PHX area.

Fantastic challenge, friendly staff. Quiet and inexpensive in the summer.

Course Needs to be Re-Sloped

Fun course to play but it is waaay under sloped. With 100+ traps, some right in the middle of the fairway, and darn near every green very well protected, a 118 slope from the whites is far from accurate. I'd put it much closer to 130. Summer rates are fantastic at around $45 but I'm not sure I'd shell out the $140 or so it would take in prime season.

One of my favorites

All went well today. Last week had a horrible starter who put a 4 some in front of us on 10 after we had just left nine green. Holding us up for 10 minutes. He told us to take a break and go to the bathroom. Very rude!!!! Changed our pace of play. Reported to pro... hope he talked with the rude starter.

Course is great; prices for food and beverages were too high for the course to be in Maricopa

The course was great! My only real complaint is the food and beverage prices aren’t what you would expect for Maricopa. I guess they figure you drove all the way out there, so you are going to pay a higher price b/c nothing else is around. But the course itself was very fair, very playable and tough pin placements. If the food and beverage prices were a little more reasonable, I would consider making the drive again to play there.

Always excellent shape

One of my favorite courses to play. This course is always in great shape and the staff is excellent.

Best value in the valley

I love this course! Staff is friendly and this is a true upscale Troon course and well worth the drive out. Then Greens are healing nicely from the rough transition to summertime only found 2 left that are still a little bumpy.

Greens are Terrible

Rare for me to write a review, but I feel a responsibility to the golfers who are familiar with the course. Was excited to play after not having been there for some time. Remembered to wear slacks for the mosquitoes. Pro shop had spray available at no charge. Practice green was horrible, looked like some kind of infection. I had read some reviews that said something about an aeration and felt like the month would have been enough to recover. I asked the starter if the practice green reflected the course and he said yes. Went on to say something about aeration but my mind was closed. The greens are suffering something way worse than aeration. Wont be going back for some time, and i recommend you dont if you like putting even a little bit.

Commented on 08/23/2019

Love this review lol

Great Place to Play

We were lucky enough to snag an early tee time and enjoy the course under "cooler" conditions. Good laylout and properly named. Lots of sand. When we finished though the temp was creeping in on 100 degrees. Only thing to note was the greens were a little on the slow and bumpy side. It appeared that they were prepping for punching them. I would play the course again.

Horrible Greens

The course didn’t impress me at all. The layout is ok but the greens are horrific. Was told the cool spring effected how the summer grass took hold. The weather is the same all over the valley and these greens are the worst I’ve seen. The “#8 course in Arizona” title is a JOKE!!
Save you money and time, play somewhere else.

Commented on 06/30/2019

Thank you for the honest review and we are sorry about your experience. Please reach out to us, 520.426.6828 when convenient.

ACSD Staff

I highly recommend this course! Great conditions for June and very helpful staff. Will definitely play again!

Super Disappointed

Unfortunately the greens were absolutely atrocious. The course shouldn’t even be open with greens like that. Horse flies and mosquitoes were a problem as well. They did have bug spray, but still an issue. We expressed our disappointment with the greens and staff was generous enough to offer us a rain check even though we had already played 14 holes. We decided to finish since it was so far away from where we live. I love the course layout, but wasn’t worth paying money in the condition it’s in.

Commented on 06/30/2019

ACSD Staff

Great course but stay away for June

First, this is a really, really nice and challenging course. Bring your sand wedge. You may be giving it quite a workout. Great options for tee boxes. Super long, long, medium.

However there are two problems right now. One, The greens, which are normally perfect, got punched last week. Putting is nearly impossible right now.

The other problem is mosquitos. They assault you the second you get out of your car. Clouds of them. Bring extra bug repellent. But even if you do, and apply liberally 2-3 times, they will still be all over you like a cheap suit every step of the way.. Depending on your psychological makeup, the mosquito problem exists along a continuum beginning at “they will subtract from your experience” all the way to “they will drive you stark raving mad. “

Again, great course. Challenging and fun layout. Usually in super good shape. But I won’t be going back for a little while.

A HIdden Arizona Golfing Gem

Southern Dunes is an amazing course in the middle of nowhere, just 20 minutes south of Phoenix. This course is always in great shape with a staff that does everything they can to make you feel welcome. It ranks right up their with the best of the Troon courses in Arizona.

Beautifull but Tough

Course was in excellent shape but I played in heavy wind and found a good number of the many many bunkers on the course

Awesome Experience!

The course was in great shape and the Customer Service was 2nd to none! Will definitely play again.

Fun Course in Great Shape

Really enjoyed my first round at this course. While a little bit of a hike from Scottsdale I’ll be sure to play again. The course was challenging, many holes well bunkered, but not excessively difficult. A lot of fun when compared to your average vanilla course.

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.