The Lakes Golf Course

Scorecard for The Lakes Course
Blue M: 70.6/130 378 503 173 429 531 169 294 371 544 3392 163 500 152 389 350 399 382 147 544 3026 6418
White M: 69.3/123 367 470 167 387 521 158 282 351 522 3225 149 474 151 375 339 387 362 137 521 2895 6120
Gold M: 68.0/120 350 450 152 327 452 145 240 318 500 2934 136 400 130 365 327 367 337 125 514 2701 5635
Red W: 67.6/115 291 410 118 237 400 142 200 245 436 2479 116 410 91 268 240 299 284 109 404 2221 4700

Year Built 1988
Fairways Pencross Bent
Greens Pencross Bent
Architect Jerry Matthews (1988) Michael Tellshow (2007)

Cool layout

A lot to love about this course. Must play in the area.

Best value around

I almost don’t want to write a great review because I’m afraid too many people will read it and start packing the course! But this place deserves it. They’re doing it right at the Lakes.

This is my current favorite place in the Gaylord “golf Mecca.” First off, the staff is just wonderful. I always have a nice chat with the guy in the clubhouse who always seems like he’s genuinely interested in you having a great time.

The course has really improved over the last decade or so. It’s changed hands a few times and hardly resembles the so/so Lakes course from the Otsego club days. That being said, conditions are always great these days. Greens are receptive but not overly soft and always roll true. Fairways are lush and green. Grounds crew really takes care of it.

The layout is the real star here. The course has such a diverse array of holes with no two holes alike. There’s right, tree lined holes like #1 (IMO the hardest hole on the course!) and a few wide holes where the driver begs to be smashed. The view from the 2nd par 5 on the front 9 is my favorite spot in Gaylord. Amazing view and great hole. I could go on for pages telling tales of birdies and triple bogeys from this great course. It really has a little of everything.

The price midweek feels like you are getting away with something. Last year my wife and I paid $27 to play and I almost felt bad.

If this course had a range it would be perfect but it’s still worth 5 stars from me. You won’t be disappointed with this hidden gem in Gaylord. I play it a few times every year and it seems to just get better.

Michigan Advisor

Tale of two nines

This the first time I played The Lakes course since the early 2000's, which at one time was closed for 3 years as I recall. The time I played it what is the 14 th hole was the 1st. The change also resulted in a new club house. The one issue is their is no driving range and the practice putting green is very small with cups that hadn't been moved (but likely due to the smallish nature). Now the tale of two 9 nines. We elected to play from the Blues. The back nine this was fine. The front 9 mistake. This is true for the 4th hole which is all up hill and blind shot to the fair way if you hit it well. Otherwise it's three shot par 5 at that point. The only other hole that was somewhat sketchy was #9 which could be due to the amount of rain. From about 140 yards out no carts and the group was very soft. Overall still nice layout. Just pick your tee wisely and perhaps consider moving up for the front side or at least #4.

Poor weather

Awesome

Great tract. Love the elevation changes and the holes around the lake on the back. Challenging for average golfer but loved the scenery. Unannounced to us, our tee time was moved up 20 minutes. Luckily, we got there early and ahead of a group of 12. Worked out perfectly. They were concerned about us slowing them down. We finished 6 holes ahead of them. Staff unbelievably cordial and friendly. A must play when we go back.

Fun course to play. Excellent condition. No senior rate or twilight rate.

Fabulous Fall Views

We played the Michawaye courses 20 years ago, and enjoyed them. This was our first experience at The Lakes Course. The views on a beautiful fall day were breathtaking. The front nine greens were very challenging..tough to read. The fairways were in great shape. The back nine was very enjoyable and fair. We would definitely return

Pleasantly surprised

I had low expectations going into the round. I thought The Lakes would be a low end municipal course, especially because you can get great deals on the greens fees. From the first hole I was pleasantly surprised, and I continued to be intrigued and pleased throughout the round. The layout is very interesting and offers a lot of variety. While the elevation changes are not as dramatic as at some Northern Michigan courses, plenty of other features kept me entertained. The course was full but the traffic moved nicely. There is no water on the course and we did not see a beverage cart, so bring or buy snacks and water. An excellent value and a very enjoyable day.

Disappointed

Well when we played it was very slow so we only played the front 9 - twice, rather than follow the slow goups ahead of us to the back. So, never got to see all the lakes the course is known for, as they'r eon the back. No water to drink, no starter / anyone to speed things up, and not as pretty as I expected. Overall, disappointing...

Beautiful course, poorly managed

One of the most interesting courses I've played. Many challenging holes, but pace of play was extremely slow. Three hours to finish 9 holes. Bag boys were great, loaded clubs onto the cart but then there was no starter on the first hole. It was a free for all. Would not go back unless they change their start procedures.

Beautiful course

Great scenery. Very well kept. Immaculate greens. Up north at its best.

First time here

Won't be the last! Great setting and great place to relax for 18. The lady working at the bar was super friendly. We had a later tee time and she stuck around till we made the turn to see if we needed anything before she left for the day.

Not a good course for a beginner

Slow play took almost 6 hours for 2 some to play 18 holes . While on back 9 the sprinkler head came on the fairway right next to the Golf cart everything got wet . Course is in Great Condition this course is not for everyone!

review

of course had great featuresbeautiful fairwaystouch screens

Greens and fairways

Golf course was in excellent condition. Go play it for sure using golf now prices.

Would play again!

Interesting holes! Would play again for sure. Great value using GolfNow. Would not pay normal rates.

Great round of golf

The course is in awesome shape!!! The People who work there are great... Nothing bad to say about this golf course. We will be playing it again really soon:-)

Good outing

Had a wonderful time overall. Course was in excellent condition. Only issue was slow play with a foursome ahead of us that didn't offer to let us play through and no ranger on course.

Lakes

Challengeing course for the beginner to intermediate. Will definitely play again

Great combination of water and woods

Always a pleasure to play with rolling terrain and great views.

Wonderful course, very distinctive holes.

We were placed in the middle of large group outing, and thus had to wait on each hole. Time to complete our round was 5 1/2 hrs. Did not like that aspect.

Valid dates: Feb 11, 2019 - Mar 31, 2019