Erin Hills Golf Course

Blue/Green 72 6990 yards 74.1 137
White/Gold 72 5581 yards 67.6 123
White/Gold (W) 72 5581 yards 71.9 124
Scorecard for Erin Hills
Black M: 77.9/145 608 358 476 439 505 237 607 492 165 3887 504 403 464 215 613 370 200 481 663 3913 7800
Blue M: 75.0/139 560 338 431 439 439 208 576 443 150 3584 476 353 434 193 507 359 184 447 637 3590 7174
Green M: 73.2/135 536 316 401 398 406 188 551 415 143 3354 455 315 388 170 507 346 163 434 622 3400 6754
Green/White M: 72.0/132 536 316 401 385 406 188 487 361 143 3223 421 315 388 170 507 346 143 434 542 3266 6489
White M: 70.5/129 W: 75.5/131 485 316 401 385 359 176 487 361 138 3108 421 315 388 170 473 288 143 385 542 3125 6233
White/Gold M: 67.6/123 W: 71.9/124 485 316 299 280 359 176 389 361 135 2800 298 315 319 152 438 288 143 322 506 2781 5581
Gold W: 69.2/118 386 223 299 280 320 124 389 239 135 2395 298 274 319 152 438 252 126 322 506 2687 5082

Year Built 2006
Fairways Fine Fescue
Golf Season May – October
Architect Ron Whitten (2006) Dr. Michael Hurdzan (2006) Dana Fry (2006)

Carts No

Walking Allowed Walking-only facility
Dress code Collared shirt required

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 11

Probably the Besr Course I’ve Ever Played

This course is absolutely phenomenal. I’d place it ahead of Kiawah Ocean as the best course I’ve ever played. There is absolutely nothing missing from this course; it has it all. From incredibly intriguing green complexes, a perfect routing that creates interesting crosswinds to top-notch course conditions this course has it all. The practice facility was easily the best I’ve ever seen.

For a course that is of the minimalist ilk Erin Hills got every single detail correct. There isn’t a tee shot or approach shot that doesn’t immediately grab your interest as it is a textbook example of a course that must be managed correctly to score.

The biggest advice I have is to select a tee box that suits your driving distance. I played one or two tee boxes too far up and I found myself with some incredibly awkward angles (which weren’t by design) if I hit driver as the holes began to narrow. I also missed out on some speed slots built into fairways because I was simply carrying the ball over them. Don’t be afraid to tee it back here as you’ll be immediately presented with some difficult, yet rewarding, tee shot criteria you must meet.

I’ve seen others say the par 3s out here are some blah compared to the rest of the course and I couldn’t disagree more. There was a great mix of distances and required shot shapes as each par 3 was loaded with unpinnable surfaces that created unique folds in the greens that had to be navigated.

Whether off the tee or around the greens this course never took a club out of your hand it featured zero forces carries. Absolutely textbook architecture all the way around here.

Texas Advisor

Erin Hills - worth the hype. worth the price.

Our group took our yearly golf trip to Wisconsin this year. The main event was at Whistling Straits, but we HAD to hit up Erin Hills while we were in the area.

It did not disappoint!

The facilities are first class. Great driving range, great clubhouse, super friendly staff... everything you could ask for. There are a small handful of cabins that would allow you to stay on property, that I'm sure are insane.

It's hard to convey just how pristine the conditions were at the course. The fairways were lush and the greens were pure and quick. Even compared to other top courses I've played I was impressed.

The course is walking only, with no push carts. You either have to take a caddie or carry your own bag. I carried. The walk is not easy, but it's also not terrible. It was about 7 miles all in. The terrain is hilly, but it's rolling hills and not a ton of sudden steep climbs. If you are reasonably fit, don't let the walking part turn you away.

The layout of the course is excellent. Despite being relatively open (as seen on TV)... it's deceiving, especially for an average golfer. Almost every hole features a set of fairway bunkers that require you to pick your poison. You try to layup short of one set, but there's likely another set to contend with on the layup. So strategy is important. There are also quite a few holes with misleading sight lines. In particular, on #14 you would swear you should aim left and you'd end up in a good spot... but you'd be very wrong. Same was true on 18. It was very helpful that we had a couple caddies in our group to show us the way.

I really like holes 1, 8, 9, and 15. 1 is a nice gentle introduction that let's you get a feel for what's coming. 8 is a shorter par 4 where you can be aggressive if you're confident and leave yourself a short shot in, but if you're offline you can get punished easily. 9 is a really nice little par 3. 15 is another short par 4 where you really have to commit to your shot off the tee. The green complex is pretty tough, so you'll want to leave yourself a distance you like!

I've heard a lot of criticism of the closing par 5 18th. I can see why it's not everyone's favorite. The second shot is very difficult for us mortals and the drive is no picnic either. I'd agree it's one of the weaker holes on the course, but nothing too bad.

Overall, the course is very challenging... although I suspect a few laps around would be very beneficial. Yes, it is expensive to play, but I think it's worth it. The experience is everything you can hope for in a round of golf and it's always cool to play a course that hosted a US Open. Don't skip Erin Hills if you're in the area.

Not worth the money or effort

Played EH on June 9th and the fairways were in POOR condition along with greens that were slower than our local Municipal.

Great Clubhouse, staff etc... But when I come to a course of this stature I don't expect poor fairways mid-June and slow greens with tons of patches all over.

Sand and rough were in good shape.

Birmingham Advisor

Erin is a first class resort from top to bottom

Erin Hills is a massive golf course that flows seamlessly from start to finish.

The course had only been open a little less than two weeks, so there were some bare spots in several fairways. The greens, albeit slower than normal, were very good. One advantage to playing before late June or July is that the fescue has not grown up to provide double-bogey producing lies. The disadvantage is that the golden stuff is not there to frame the holes and give the course the beautiful look that it deserves.

All this being said, my caddiementioned the course is playing as fair as possible in the current conditions. I found Erin to be extremely playable, even from the rough. The bunkers are penal, especially the fairway bunkers. I think most fairway bunkers cost at least half a stroke.

The closely mown areas around greens are rimmed by thick rough. I liked having the option of putting or chipping from these areas.

Erin is walking only. The first round I walked with a caddie to get a feel for the course and the sightlines. I carried my own bag without a caddie the next day, thinking I would be able to navigate it reasonably well. My advice would be to take a caddie unless you are intricately familiar with the course. Here’s why: precious reviews were spot on in that it is a 9-10 mile walk. Hoofing it sans bag in the lower 90-degree heat that we had is tough enough as it is. Adding a bag to the equation was daunting. It was very taxing on me and I am in reasonably good shape. Secondly, the greens are difficult to read. Subtle breaks are hard to detect. However, if you do go at it alone, there are two yardage guides sold in the pro shop. The more expensive option is a pro-style guide with in-depth numbers and greens-reading graphics. That will be a wise investment.

Staying on the property was a real treat. The Lodge offers small but excellent accomodations. Spitting out by the fire pits and watching the sunset post round was a great way to unwind. The staff greet you by name (how do they do that?) and the place is first class in every way imaginable.

I would love to come back in late summer when the course is at full tooth with the fescue in play. Still, it is a championship golf course, that is playable enough for even average players to have a good time, no matter their score.

Chicago Advisor

Erin Hills Golf Club

The Good: This Hurdzan/Fry design about 35 miles northwest of Milwaukee is one of the most expansive golf canvases you will ever see. Incredible, rugged design is visually terrifying but very playable for mid and high handicappers. Excellent variety in Par 4's with good mixture of doglegs and blind tee shots. Par 5's, especially the closing hole, are very impressive. US Open caliber conditioning and challenging, undulating greens that putt perfectly. The clubhouse and newer overnight lodging options are absolutely top-notch and as elegant as any private club. Great practice facilities and super staff that will ensure you have an experience of a lifetime. Top-notch caddies that work their tail off walking 10+ miles so you can enjoy the round.

The Bad: Other than the huge price tag and the remote location, there is nothing else to gripe about the Erin Hills experience. The Par 3 9th is excellent, but the other Par 3's are fairly unmemorable compared to the other holes on the course.

The Verdict: Erin Hills is one of the best inland public courses in the Midwest, if not the entire country. Hard to imagine spending $400+ at a non-ocean course, but you'll quickly forget the cost with this bucket list masterpiece. Everything is first class.

Best Hole: All of the Par 5's are excellent, but the closing brute is a wonderful cap to an unforgettable round.

Make no mistake - this is a championship test of a course

Golf fans may have been bummed out by the relatively low scores Erin Hills yielded in the 2017 U.S. Open. But don't be fooled; Erin Hills is one of the toughest courses you'll play, especially if you're unable to keep the ball in its generous-but-by-no-means-huge fairways. The rippling Kettle Moraine terrain and mostly elevated, undulating greens cause golfers - pro and amateur alike - plenty of problems throughout the round. Caddies are especially valuable here, as they can point you toward the safe spots that do exist, mostly in the form of gathering slopes on and around the greens.

Great Time

I was a little nervous when reading the reviews about how much walking we would need to do for this round. But it really wasn't that bad. And the reason there's a bit of walking is because they put 7 tee boxes per hole to allow the USGA a number of choices when they have the US Open. This course can be played anywhere from 6,000 to 8,000 yards. You'll read review after review about picking the right tee boxes and I can't stress that enough. I'm a 13 handicap and when the caddies suggested we play white I was a little hesitant but it was the best decision we made all weekend. It made the round more enjoyable. I was playing 6 irons instead of 4 irons, and I had the best round of the weekend. It's really a spectacular setting for a golf course. The caddies meet you on the range, ask you if you can empty your bag of all non essentials, and you're off. You have to be pretty spot on with your drives as well as your approach shots. if not, you're in the long tall grass off the tee box and in the tough sand traps around the green. I'm from Los Angeles so the setting is spectacular. I loved the feel of the course which seems like it goes on forever when it actuality it's 650 acres (which is a lot of space for a golf course). The people there were very accommodating and friendly. Our caddies were terrific and even gave me a couple tips which really helped me play better. Originally we were just going to play the Blackwolf Run courses and Whistling traits but we're so glad we came to Erin Hills. It was a truly great experience and I would highly recommend it.

Chicago Milwaukee Advisor

Never played a course where you hear silence

This place is something else. Take a min in the middle of the round and just listen, you will hear nothing other then a golfer here there. This is place is so big and off the beaten path that its just you and the golf course its awesome. The course itself is wonderful generous fairways but if you miss get ready for the knee high stuff. Greens are top notch very receptive to spin but lightening fast. The 9th hole is awesome so hard luckily the wind wasnt to bad. 14 is a great par 5 up the hill to a crazy slopping green, then you go to 15 which is a great risk reward par 4. Then that finish on 18 is amazing bunkers placed perfectly in landing zones its a brute of a finisher. We were fortunate to play with Rick Tock and a golf digest course we reviewer needless to say we heard some good stories. Clubhouse is top notch, service is terrific. Definitely recommend this to people that want to play a great challenging golf course. Well done Erin Hills!!!

Erin Hills: A Hiking Facililty

Four of us just came down from playing Whistling Straits (Straits, Irish, Meadows, Blackwolf Run) to play Erin Hills to get a view of the site for next year's U.S. Open. We all carry indexes of 10 or less so we were excited to play what the pros would play. It is a beautiful layout but there are few things you should understand before you go.

When we booked our tee time, our very friendly agent emphasized that it is a walking-only facility. This was fine with us. Although we're all 60+, we are in good shape and walk and carry at our home courses. That said, when we made our reservation, we explained that 1 person would carry and the other 3 would need caddies. When we arrived, an error had been made so two of us ended up carrying and we got a caddie who double bagged the other two. We've all played in Ireland and Scotland and are familiar with most of the well-know venues where you also must walk Moreover, we had just finished walking the Straits so we felt like we were adequately prepared. Not!

Erin Hills is NOT a walking facility but rather a HIKING facility. True to its name it was extremely hilly and all must walk. There are no carts. None. Didn't see a one the entire day. Th'at was to be understood but the long-long treks were not.

Our hiking began at the parking lot where you walk a quarter of mile, if not more, up a long hill to the pro shop. But the real fun began 2-3 holes into the round. Going from a green to the next tee was a chore. You would walk down one hill--often a severe slope for our caddie who was double bagging and two of our party who were carrying--only to walk back up another hill before you reached the next tee. And the distances from greens to tees were ridiculous. Really! It reminded me of a resort course where you must have to have a cart to motor through the development to get from one tee box to another. But there were no carts at Erin Hills. Just long, long walks up and down and up and down. from one hill to another. They did provide water on about every 4th hole. The water was free. But we didn't know that when we bought some the beverage cart.

The course is beautiful and lush with heather that is knee to waste high. Gorgeous to look at but a great hiding place for golf balls. If you hit your ball in the heather, there was a 98% chance that it was lost. The fairways are generous enough that we didn't find the heather often--just one person every hole! They did have several fore caddies located at strategic locations to help you find an errant shot but they couldn't find several of our balls.

Of course, they did have U.S. open rough but that was to be expected. We wanted to see what it was like and we did!

Between the hills and the heather, we played 5 1/2 - 6 hour round. Play was terribly slow and we never saw a ranger.

As a testimonial to hiking, we had our iPhone app on which counted steps, miles and flights (of stairs). We walked close to 9 miles, over 20,000 steps and the equivalent of 30 flights of stairs. Our caddie was Joe and he did a nice job but you could tell he was gassed from double bagging up the hills.

Erin Hills is a beautiful and challenging course and I would recommend it for low handicap player and certainly not the casual golfer. However, the recommendation would come with a caveat. You should be forewarned that walking it is as much a challenge as the golf. I would definitely avoid it playing in the heat of the day.

Truly a Place to Preach

Erin Hills is an absolutely remarkable golf course and destination. The views throughout the entire course are breathtaking. The course itself is a stern test of golf, first time players would do well to tee it one forward as the HIKE (and i emphasize HIKE) will kick your butt, regardless if you are a regular walker. The variety of holes and shot options make it a very memorable experience. Some highlights are the par 4 blind tee shots on 2nd 8th and 12th. The par 3s very fair and reward shots that hold the green. There is an aura to this place like you are going to church to worship. If you have a chance to play it DO IT, youll thoroughly regret it if you dont.

Erin Hills

Erin Hills was an overall fantastic golf experience. The hour plus car ride from Kohler area was well worth it. Site of the 2017 US Open, naturally that attracted my name to the tee sheet. The grounds are spectacular, the clubhouse and facilities are a 10. The course is beautiful and situated on a fabulous property with natural rolling hills and fescue. While I think Mike Davis' comparison to Shinnecock (keep in mind I have not played Shinnecock) is a huge stretch for this golf course, I still enjoyed it. Highly recommend taking a caddy, it's a very long and hilly walk and unless you want to be tired on the back nine, pony up the extra money. If in the area again, I would go back but not before playing The Straits or Irish at Whistling Staits or River Course at Blackwolf Run (I was in town for the 2015 PGA).

If you love golf, you must experience

Played 2 consecutive days with group of friends and stayed on-site. Fairly pricey, but it's a destination course that you need to play if you are in the Great Lakes. Give yourself plenty of time and experience the entire day - from the driving range where you meet your caddy to the 19th hole that serves up some pretty good food and drink. Oh yeah, the golf course is pretty darn good, too. Course properly rewards good shots and penalizes not-so-good ones. Nothing tricked up to the course. It's all right there in front of you. LISTEN to your caddy. He will not steer you wrong.

Bucket-list course; venue of 2017 US Open

Erin Hills was conceived as a "poor man's Whistling Straits," but the result turned out to be so brilliant, the USGA immediately pegged it for a championship course: 2011 US Amateur was here, and 2017 US Open will be here. Rates went up in response to that, so it's now beyond many golfers' budgets. A few blind shots in the original layout were altered at USGA request, but substantial land was moved only on 3 holes. It's a natural, free-flowing, course with acres and acres of natural fescue and only 8 trees. Simply gorgeous rolling landscape, esp. in mid-late summer when the fescue turns sort of purple. Huge greens that perfectly true and easy to read -- especially with your caddie's help. Fescue has been thinned a bit from past years: can usually find balls, but hitting them out is a whole different story. Such a solid, lovely course that won't give up many great scores, but won't beat you up too badly, either -- if you pick the right tees and if the wind isn't howling. If the wind is up, though, can turn into a monster. Lodge is charming, clubhouse food is spectacular (try the duck sliders!). Just a special, special place.

Service Galore

I am a PGA Professional and took some of my key staff and four members to golf Erin Hills. From the moment we drove in until the time we left the experience was outstanding. Course was an excellent test of golf, caddies were great, and to top it off had a great meal after the round. We stayed on site and had a great time and a very good night sleep as well.

Definitely U.S. Open worthy

After playing this course, I'm most anxious to see the best in the world tee it up here in 2017 for the U.S. Open. It'll be interesting to see how far back they set the tees, which will probably depend somewhat on weather. We played it after a storm rolled through in very windy conditions. Keeping it in fairway is almost impossible, which means scoring is impossible. Despite the difficulty, this is one of the most beautiful and unique golf courses in America. It's links off the tee, but traditional into the greens for the most part, making it a most interesting hybrid. The views on the horizon never stop, there are elevated tees everywhere, and you'll never get bored. The ninth, though not overly long, is one of the most difficult par 3s you'll ever play, and the 18th, even as a three-shotter will be a tough par even for the pros.

Will be a great open course

A must play. Very difficult course. Fairways are fairly generous, but missing the fairway is penal...even pros will lose golf balls with the high fescue rough. Definite bucket list course. Pace of play was a little brutal given difficulty of course.

Field of dreams

Erin Hills is a very special place for me: I grew up on neighboring property long before the course was ever imagined at the "still standing" Erin motel and restaurant. As an adolescent, I spent many long days riding dirt bikes in gorgeous rolling hills on what is now Erin hills...lots of great memories riding with friends seeing Holy Hill in the back drop. My golf day started by have breakfast with my best childhood friend at my childhood home: the Erin motel and Restaurant, which is a must visit little country cafe where they treat you like family. We next drove to the course, passing my old school (Erin elementary school) near the entrance to the massive property of Erin Hills. We were treated like we belonged from the first moment on property which included settling into the first class locker room, warming up on the beautiful practice area and being treated at the the first tee. The golf? ... It was inspiring! It seemed like we had this walking only property all to ourselves and the 4.75 hr pace was perfect! As a 10 index, I played possibly the round of my life and shot a 84, staying out of the daunting fescue roughshod all day (almost). Using one of the excellent caddies is highly recommended as there are a few shots where a sight line is critical, and reading the lightning fast greens is a challenge. A Post round shower, followed by beers and wings at the Irish pub over looking he expansive property seared in the memories of the day making it the greatest golf day of my life. Play Erin hills for golf the way it is meant to be played!

Golf Channel

Once Might Not Be Enough

I played here with fellow GC announcer Scott Walker a few years back while we were in the Milwaukee covering the old Greater Milwaukee Open (or whatever it was called at the time). Driving out into rural Wisconsin from Milwaukee makes you wonder how in the world there's a golf course out here that is receiving such rave reviews, and then you see it and you experience a bit of a Field of Dreams moment. The clubhouse was small and very much looked like it once belonged on a farm, however, once inside, it was extremely nice. The course looked massive on the drive in, as well as on the score card, and it was only the second Hurdzan/Fry design I'd ever played. I really didn't know what to expect. My lasting impression is that it just might be the golf course of the future. It was designed in a way that will defend it against technological advances for generations to come simply based on distance from the back tees. But more impressively, it wasn't a giant emerald green pasture of finely manicured watered turf. Rather, it looked more like a pasture than a world class golf course. The reason for that is that all the grass on the course absent the putting surfaces, was native grass. It looked much more like it belonged in Scotland than Wisconsin, and it played as golf seems to have been intended when it was invented...firm and fast. And those native grasses were a shear delight from which to play. Even though the color was multidimensional, it played just like any other firm course. The design is masterful in my opinion as it provided plenty of room to play tee to green, but after close scrutiny, it required tee shots to be hit to certain areas in order to have a slight chance to get it close to the pin on the somewhat extreme greens. Funny part was, the greens don't look extreme, but the subtleties made them that way in hindsight. Erin HIlls is a course that I think I could play everyday and not tire of it.

Valid dates: Nov 26, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019