Phoenix Golf Links

2.8182000000 2.8 stars from 5 (121)

This golf course is closed for business. Not true? Let us know.
Looking for other options nearby?

Dress code: Collared shirt required

Course Layout: No ratings so far

Location is convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers   Challenges include thick rough bunkers undulating greens

"Disappointed"

jc1025's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2014

Course conditions were bad and a hole was closed and I got charged for my non golfing girlfriend to ride I have played almost all the courses in the central ohio area and that is the first time I have been charged Eagle sticks didn't even do that I won't be back

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"Please stop giving this course money"

csuboy14's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/27/2014

Much like the Cleveland Indians, you should not give this course any money until they start putting the money back into the course.

The entire course looks like it is diseased. It has numerous spots on the greens that are dead.

I came to just practice since it is the closest place. The practice facilities were awful. $8 for a "large bucket"... maybe fifty balls?? Oh, and three of them were cut or literally in half. Quality stuff here people.

It is a shame... this course had such a nice premise. Making a landfill into a nice golf course... the latter has fallen by the wayside. The water treatment plant has nicer grass than this place.

"Course condition is poor."

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2014
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

The fairways and some of the greens are in poor condition.

"Fairways in rough shape"

dkennedy311's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/28/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The fairways appear like they haven't been watered for months, brown grass and bare spots are plentiful. The greens were fine though, a bit long and slow.

"poor phoenix"

nighthawker's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The fairways were dead. The bunkers were in awful shape and the greens were spotty at best. Dont play this course until the watering problems are fixed.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"OMG! Seriously? This place needs closed!"

phil4a72's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/21/2014

In 30 years of golf all around America, I have never played a worse " course". Fairways Brown and cracked open. Greens missing large areas of grass and cracked open. Makes for wonderful putting. The best looking green , #14 is closed its so bad off. I'm not making this up. The dirt fairways are so hard your ball WILL end up in the gorse. If this isn't bad enough the design is awful. Who did this? Darrell and his other brother, Darrell? There is one green you cannot see. The flagstick does barely stick up above the weeds in front. Three greens are long and narrow with so much slope side to side that you would have to putt your ball off the side of the green.....from the middle of the green. I had three like that. I putted at the edge of the green and ended up 10 -12 feet beside the hole. Dumbest course ever. Sorry.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Poor condition--but with a good excuse"

professorwilson's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/19/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I have played this course several times and normally it is in excellent shape. When I checked in this time, the staff member shared that there had been some problems with their watering system, and several places in the fairways were burned up a bit. Also the bunkers were a bit rough. Well, the fairways were more than a bit burned up, the bunkers for whatever reason looked like dirt bunkers and even the greens (which I was told were still in good shape) were a bit questionable. One of the holes, #14, was completely closed, so we were given the option of playing #19--and yes, Phoenix does have a 19th hole. To be fair, the staffer would have offered us a discount--but declined to do this given we had already gotten a discount due to paying via the online discount.<br/> In short, had I never played here before, I would never go back. Given that this time seemed to be an anomaly, I will try it again--next year. Those who venture out this year, however, need to be prepared for less than ideal conditions. I cannot recommend this course this year--but I am fully expecting to be able to recommend it again next year.

"Dried out"

Gregory2809161's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2014

Course needed some mowing. Lots of dry spots. When the fix their pump system it will be fine.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Nice but not in the best condition"

kjkidd21's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2014

Course was definitely not in tip top shape. Some of the greens / fairways looked to have a fungus that was eating the grass and the 14th hole was closed (they added a 19th hole for total of 18).

However, course is challenging, well laid out and offers beautiful views of city skyline from a handful of holes.

I would definitely play again.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"grass lost"

Brian7312748's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2014

Everything green on the course was gone. I understand when things get away from a course, but it wasn't a simple question of disease or fertilization. The bunkers were the worst I have ever seen. Hopefully they can get their act together. There are too many low - cost options to waste your money here.

"SAD"

VinnieMulligan's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

It's a shame, the original owners put a lot of time and money into the course. It started out rough and eventually became a fun challenging course to play. A nice links course lay out with very fast greens and strategically placed bunkers. The post card was the view of the skyline of Columbus. Now, the fairways were burned out (hole #14 closed) and the greens are starting to go to. Bunkers had no sand and more weeds than my flower beds at home. Whenever someone from out of town came to visit Phoenix was always a consideration, nice course, fair price, close by and the view of the city. Now, I wouldn't play there with my Mother-In-Law.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Don't Play Here This Year"

Gobluejackets's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2014

Huge patches of dead fairway and greens made for a pretty miserable round. Rough was so high that balls were not findable (this is the "mowed" rough, not the natural areas). Bunkers were totally neglected. One green was aerated put not topped. Very frustrating to play here. I will not go back.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Given up before they knew they were done for in 2014"

fluidmotion12's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The course was unplayable. Did not see one ranger, pace of play was below average, was able to play the par 3, three times in a row before the seniors in front of us could finish the par 4. The fairway looked like my cornfield, and I sure as could of broken an ankle just walking with the tracks in the fairway.

Thank goodness this place is closed, I would rather chip golf balls into the old dump instead of playing here.

Sounds intense, but I am serious. I tolerate average city courses but this was PATHETIC and a shame to the city of Columbus. No wonder wants to play inside 270 except Scioto Country Club or Ohio State Country Club.

This was a blessing the course was gone, can only imagine what the city wasted of my TAX dollars to build "golf course"

"all dirt"

scoottn12's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2014

Course in very poor shape almost all dirt. would not go again

"Sad"

eafleming43's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2014

I have played Phoenix for over 10 years but have not been there for two seasons. I know there have been some changes recently but what I encountered was very surprising. When I arrived at the course at 7:30 I was disappointed to discover that the new company handling the food and beverage side of the course does not always show up when the course opens. As one of the course employees told me"it is very unprofessional but all he could do was apologize. It had been that way since the food and beverage operation was out sourced." In fact when I made the turn the girl at the counter was surprised to learn that golfers were attempting to purchase food and drink on the course before her 8:30 arrival.

The pro shop employees were very friendly. The flow of play was wonderful and the starter was fun to talk to. The course layout is still one of my favorite in Columbus but the course conditions were abysmal. From the bare fairways to the poor greens it was like playing at a course that was going out of business. It truly is a shame to see this course fall apart.

Ed

"Great course"

u000006190420's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2014
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Love the course and the layout. Only thing is the course is in rough shape. Superintendent said they had a water issue. But the greens are in great shape fairways have so e rough areas but still 100% playable

"Don't like"

Eric5640741's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2014

Fairways are not in good shape..good place to lose balls

"Unplayable conditions"

Robert7964140's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2014

So much if the grass is dead on this course. The greens are in horrible condition. The whole course is soggy too. During my round (which I quit early because of the conditions), they left the water running on the green twice. I had to wait for them to turn it off. Needless to say, I couldn't even putt because of the standing water. I wouldn't play here for free, let alone the twenty five Golf Now asking price. This is disappointing considering this place used to be one of my favorite courses. Now it's just junk.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Not what we expected"

freeatlast's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

We were not told until we arrived that the course was in such poor condition, and were told this was the reason for the low pricing. We could choose not to play, but had already driven there. One of the par 5's was even closed because the fairways and greens were in such poor condition. We have played here before, but it has not been in this bad of condition.

"No sprinklers"

hattenrf's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

No indication of course maintenance problems when we reserved. Got there and were told sprinkler system was out of commission. Fairways half-dead and greens 1/4 dead. #14 hole closed entirely.