Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club - South Course

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirt, slacks or shorts (walking short length) are preferred: work-out shorts or denim are not allowed.

Black (W) 72 5603 yards 72.3 130

Although it is tucked away among rolling green hills and mature oaks, Lake Jovita Country Golf & Country Club is conveniently less than 30 minutes north of Tampa. The club offers two championship golf courses, the North and the South. The South Course, the original track at Lake Jovita, has a more traditional design than the other course. It features generous fairways and velvety-smooth greens. The layout weaves through lakes and ponds that into play on several holes. The course was built to fully utilize the hilly terrain, incorporating a variety of elevation changes throughout. The par-5 11th hole even features a 94-foot drop from tee to green, which is the largest natural elevation change in the entire state. It is one of Florida's "must-play" courses

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers playing multiple courses locals   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes undulating greens   Great for drinks dinner brunch

"A must play"

jdnoble's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2018

I played Lake Jovita North for the first time this week. Have been playing golf all over FL for 15 years and wish I would of had played sooner. I’ll definitely be coming back for the South course.

The North course is challenging if you miss fairways. There are a bunch of scoring opportunities if you can hit your spots. There is some great Florida style elevation changes too which are an added feature I really enjoyed (its Florida, elevation changes aren’t too common).

Plus the course has a full men’s/women’s locker room. I was able to hit the showers before heading to a business event. And I can’t forget to mention the food. I had the buffalo chicken wrap and coleslaw, which exceeded my expectations. That may be all I ever order when I make it back.

Plus, plus there are villa options if you want to stay and play. I travel into the area often and would prefer to bunk in a villa w/ some tee times.

All in all Lake Jovita is a must play and a track I’ll recommend to everyone I know!

"Decent golf"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Basically, the South course is in OK condition, not pristine as it was for a few years.The bunkers are in need of repair, an ongoing issue for the past 10 years.Sand is highly variable with many washouts and collapsed edges.The excuse that many are flashed does not hold up having played Southern Dunes recently.That course has flashed bunkers and they are immaculate.There were no washouts and the edges were neatly trimmed.The greens at LJ were not bad for summer greens.I think it is fair to say the course looks "tired" after 19 years of play.This is largely due to owners who think mediocre is good.Their apparent approach is to have more golfers at a cheap rate rather than a premium rate with less traffic.The day rate is less of what Southern Dunes charges.Southern Dunes is immaculate and Lake Jovita is not, which is a shame.It is clear why the PGA Tour stopped using LJ as a Q-school site.But,$35 a person is not a bad rate on a Monday when few people are on the course.

Response from Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club on 07/18/2018:

Thank you for the 4-star review of Lake Jovita. We are sorry to hear you think so little of Lake Jovita. We assure you are one of the best course in Tampa.

"Lake Jovita Pure Players Coursr"

Mjaniszewski's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2018

Greens in great shape. Starter shared limited info ( we figured out pin positions ourselves). Layout takes a couple of rounds to figure out. Pace of play was great - under four hours. Bunkers a plenty.

Response from Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club on 07/16/2018:

Thank you for the 4-star review of Lake Jovita. Glad to hear you enjoyed your round with us!

"Not Worth spending the day"

buckhome2014's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2018

This was our 3rd time to Lake Jovita and was looking forward to a great day of golf! My wife and I had an 11:30 tee off time and was paired with a single. The pace of play was horrible, It took 2:45 just to play 10 holes, so we decided to go home. Life is too short, and we will not be back and recommend this course to anyone

Response from Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club on 07/16/2018:

Thank you for the review of Lake Jovita. Sorry to hear the pace of play was slow while you were here.

"Great layout, fast greens."

Chris9066481's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2018

Great day at Lake Jovita. Staff was excellent. Only gripe would be that the holes were pushed way to hard into the ground creating an odd change in the level of ground around the pin. Also, staff I encountered on the turn didn’t know where to exchange the divot sand for the cart.

Response from Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club on 07/16/2018:

Thank you for the 4-star review of Lake Jovita. Glad to hear you enjoyed your round and the staff was friendly. Please come back and visit us soon.

Bobby5500627's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2018

Response from Lake Jovita on 07/13/2018:

Thank you for the 4-star review of Lake Jovita. We are glad to hear you like us! Come back and visit us soon.

"Awesome course, Ranger Needed!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This was such a great course, lot of rain lately so there were a lot of cart path only holes, not bad until you get behind a very slow foursome!!

Response from Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club on 07/16/2018:

Thank you for the 4-star review of Lake Jovita. Please come back and visit us soon.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/23/2018

Response from Lake Jovita on 07/09/2018:

"Wonderful"

westybruin's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2018
Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Great course. wide Fairways. Some carries are a liittle long for a older golfer from whites. Big greens. definately not your basic Florida golf outing

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 06/21/2018:

Thank you for the 5-star review of Lake Jovita. Please come back and visit us soon.

"Good course except for the punched greens"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2018

The course was a pretty good course except would have liked to know that the greens were just punched. Also the bunkers were full of water. Lost 2 balls in the bunkers cause of water. The staff wasn’t the friendliest except the starter.

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 06/19/2018:

Thank you for the 4-star review of Lake Jovita. Glad to hear you enjoyed the round here. Please come back and visit us soon.

"Punched greens"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2018

Fairways were goox.We knew the greens were punched.

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 06/19/2018:

"Great courses"

mikezehm's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2018

These two courses are excellent courses- both layout and condition. You won’t be disappointed in either one.

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 06/07/2018:

Thank you for the 5-Star review, we appreciate the great feedback regarding our course conditions. Thanks for coming out and we hope to see you again soon.

"Excellence in golf"

Vick43's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2018

I played the North Course. the fairways and greens were absolutely superb the layout on the front 9 was reasonable, hilly, with well-placed sand bunkers, not overly challenging from the white tees if you can hit your drive over 200 yards. The Back Nine was harder. Rolling Hills with tighter Fairways with for 5 Tee shots where 160 airborne shots was called for to get over the hazard and into the Fairway. With difficult trees and water and sand bunkers well placed. However the course as a whole was excellent, I am 74 years old my drive go around 160 to 170 so I had to be very careful where I hit the ball. I could play this course everyday and love it highly recommend Lake Jovita Golf and Country.

David Vick

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 06/04/2018:

Thank you for the 5-star review of Lake Jovita. Glad to hear you enjoyed your round with us. Please come back and visit us soon.

"golf"

Bill5122890's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2018

nice day of golf this course was on are top 5 list of course we played this year the greens where true the fairways where great the course was in great shape even for all the rain we had would like to play there again the price was a little high but great value if your in the area its worth playing

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 06/04/2018:

Thank you for the 5-star review of Lake Jovita. Glad to hear you enjoyed the course conditions. Please come back and visit us soon.

DeeWinch's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 05/14/2018:

"Most unfriendly staff ever"

hstrawn's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2018

Course is fine but experience is terrible. Worst starter ever. Brought 12 golfers on vacation and wasn’t welcomed at all. No one at bag unload or in pro shop spoke. Starter was a jerk and clearly didn’t want us there. If you want to be private then be private. Play world woods and tpc instead. They actually want you there. Starter here needs to take lessons from Mark at TPC.

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 05/14/2018:

We would like to apologize for the experience you faced while you were here at Lake Jovita. We want all of our guests to feel welcome while they are here.

"Lake Jovita North"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2018
Used cart Perfect weather

We picked a good time to play at a reasonable rate.The fairways on the north course were good.The greens were also good.Around the greens still has a significant amount of various weeds that interfere with play. The bunkers are no better or worse than usual.The bunker edges look uneven and some are still in washout mode from the hurricane rain 8 months ago.The faded green color of the grasses differs from several other courses I have played recently.Maintenance apparently has limitations on what can be spent on two fine golf courses worthy of better upkeep.If the owners are not spending 29% of revenue on maintenance they are short changing what could be among the best facilities in Florida.

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 05/14/2018:

Thank you for playing Lake Jovita. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and letting us know where we can improve. Please come back and visit us soon.

itsalnfun's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2018

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 05/10/2018:

ppmarshal's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2018

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 05/10/2018:

Thank you for the 5-star review of Lake Jovita. Please come back and tee it up with us soon.

"Worth the Drive"

SLorenzo8's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2018

Make sure to call the pro shop first to make sure greens aren’t punched. I drove 45 minutes to this place and it’s worth it. Midweek had the course to ourselves and great conditions. Great scenery and a challenge for those of us who usually play flat courses and greens. Only gripe was whoever cut the cups made them sunday pin placements on a Wednesday with so many pins tucked. Wow. Will play the South next time.

Response from Lake Jovita Management on 05/07/2018:

Thank you for the 5-star review of Lake Jovita. Sorry to hear about the tough pin placements. Let us know how you like the South Course next round.