The Links At Lighthouse Sound

2.4

The Links at Lighthouse Sound is an Arthur Hills-designed golf course that covers a scenic and varied terrain. Hills took advantage of not only the beautiful views afforded by the course's location right along the Assawomen Bay, but also the natural diversity of the terrain. He routed the front nine along the bay while the back nine borders the St. Martin's River, through mature hardwoods and pristine marshland. The golf course is home to the longest cart bridge in the country, stretching almost 1,500 feet to bring golfers from the bay-side holes to the marshland holes. It is also the only course in the U.S. with five consecutive holes playing to the same double green. The signature hole is the par-3 fifth, which requires a carry over a marsh to a nearly island green bordered by water on three sides.
Scorecard for The Links At Lighthouse Sound
Black M: 74.6/138 395 508 190 430 218 390 622 355 444 3552 310 188 558 184 462 430 360 455 532 3479 7031
Gold M: 72.2/133 332 496 173 385 185 385 585 326 396 3263 296 169 545 172 432 409 333 432 505 3293 6556
Green M: 71.2/131 332 496 162 385 168 385 550 326 389 3193 296 152 531 151 392 390 333 400 505 3150 6343
Blue M: 69.8/126 281 448 162 360 168 280 550 317 389 2955 285 152 531 161 392 390 305 400 470 3086 6041
White M: 67.7/120 W: 74.1/142 273 439 139 352 153 267 516 287 365 2791 250 111 375 146 350 375 300 395 455 2757 5548
Red W: 67.1/122 235 389 82 235 112 242 405 240 320 2260 195 105 367 120 252 295 233 322 404 2293 4553

Year Built 2000
Fairways Bent
Architect Arthur Hills (2000)

Dress code No Denim, Collared Shirt Required

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Maryland (2015 #3)
  • Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2014 #7)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 15

A terrific Fall treat

I play this course a lot and today I played it in an outing. It was a beautiful day, breezy and sunny conditions. Wonderful views of the bay from many holes make it worth the trip.

The course was not uniformly in good shape but overall not bad. The back nine has more troubled turf conditions. They would do well to consider an aggressive tree removal strategy, especially on holes 9 -12. Leave them open to the bay and wind and they will sparkle. This was done on holes 3-4 with good results. More aggressive chemical use to combat adverse conditions would also help.

The greens were a gem and like the better OC courses rolled nicely. Not too fast but true. Prices have dropped here (and everywhere) and I fear that the declining golf rounds are putting too much pressure on course and greens are taking a hit. Several others have experienced this and I hope this does not. It is still one of my favorites, but I will be watching for improvements.

lost luster over the years

I have played Lighthouse probably 10 times over the last 15 years or so. It's still remains one of the most beautiful courses on the East Coast. The layout and views are spectacular.

I have been disappointed my last couple visits in the course conditions, the maintenance is nowhere up to par from what it used to be, it used to be five star spectacular and now it is only three star I have been disappointed my last couple visits in the course conditions, the maintenance is nowhere up to par from what it used to be, it used to be five star spectacular and now it is only three star.

The full price rate is overpriced, for the rate that I paid it is acceptable but it still has lost a good bit of the luster that it had years ago.

The greens don't roll as nice and fast as they once did, the manicuring around the edges of the course is rough, lots of weeds where they never existed in the past, and once you are too far off the fairway, there are a number of very bare spots.

to reiterate: the layout is spectacular, the design and uniqueness of the holes - but just not as rich and I appealing as it once was

Amazing course layout

Although its pricey, love this course and want to play it again as soon as possible. great course conditions and love the layout

Extremely disappointed

I planned a 3 day golf trip with the guys and this was supposed to be the gem of the whole trip. HOWEVER, the decription below was copy and pasted from the previous review because it was 100% accurate to my experience one year later. Only difference, we suffered through the round, which took over 5 hours.

Had a bad experience playing this course. At bag drop had to unload my car since no employee was in sight. Tee'd off 20 minutes after scheduled start. Pace of play was ridiculously slow. Called the pro shop on two different occasions to report slow play. Rangers came out and apologized profusely but did nothing to move groups along. The single who played with us quit after 9. Our group quit after 13 after 4+ hours of hit and WAIT golf. No ranger was seen on back 9 in the afternoon. Unacceptable for a highly touted facility. The front 7 has nice views of the bay and ocean city and is in decent shape but the back which is wooded is in pedestrian shape with irregular rough, crab grass on tee boxes, and bald spots near the greens. At $139 fee, this golf course is no bargain. It is over valued and under conditioned. Will not play here again. Do not recommend.

Bad experience

The Tale of Two Courses

I played on September 16th, 2017 with a group of golf buddies as part of our annual outing. We were excited to play this course, as it is widely touted to be the best course in Ocean City and one of the top ranked in the country.

We ended up with a strange feeling after playing this course. The first seven holes and holes 17 and 18 are links style and wind-swept and the remaining holes are wooded or parkland style. The links style holes are in great shape - tee box to fairways to greens. However, the rest of the holes are in terrible shape - bald patches all over the fairways and bang in the middle, hard pan areas around the greens making it impossible for an average amateur golfer to chip or pitch, beaten up greens and poorly maintained bunkers.

We did not pay full rates as this part of an overall package. But, I understand that the regular prime time rate is $199 for a round. Its simply baffling how they cannot keep the course in better shape through the season.

Don't be fooled with the standard answers from some of the over rated Ocean City courses this year that it had to do with the unusually hot summer, lots of rains, blah blah blah....We played a couple of other courses in the same area, one of them a public course and they were in fantastic shape. These courses experienced the same weather. And we are expected to believe that the Number 1 course in Ocean City could not keep up with this weather, and that too for 9 holes out of the 18.

Overall the course is challenging, and the layout requires proper club selection and prudent shot making decisions. The wind is a huge factor. Especially the par 5, where we had to go up two clubs to combat the winds from the bay. The views of the links style holes are spectacular thanks to the vegetation and stunning views of the bay.

We will definitely not be going back to play this course.

Favorite in OC, Maryland

I think the bay views are stunning and the layout is enjoyable with some genuine links-thrills along the way. Love the shared greens and when surrounding neighborhoods and waterfront are incorporated. The front 9 is as good as it gets in the OC area. I finished up once on 18 as a wedding reception was hosted at the clubhouse. I bogeyed while a cellist played in a nearby gazebo. It was magical. It's expensive in the mornings, but a good bargain in the later afternoon.

Poor weather

Masters Weekend

What golf enthusiast will forget this weekend,, ? Not me, for 3 reasons now. My wedding anniversary, Masters Weekend and The Links at Lighthouse Sound.

Rainig heavy when I got there so I sat in the car for a bit I allow about an hour for checking in and hitting a few balls with each club etc,, The Starters all of the staff where complete Gentlemen,, from the counter in the pro shop the cart return. I was given the run down of the course ( condensed version ) Then begin, 1st hole was par,, We where under cart path only due to the weather so pace of play was slow ( i was playing solo ) but I got my exercise in . Alittle confusion on hole 3 until I looked in the yardage book. These greens are SO fast and true. The views of the Bay and marshland are almost overwhelming. Keep in mind i'm racing the weather here,, Its supposed to beging to get high winds as the day goes on and rain,, i'll beat like always. If you want water hazards this is the place to go almost everything here is waterview very few aren't. Since the cold weather was in play I added a club to each shot , I did well overall, I did'nt use my driver much since the wind was mostly in my favor, my 3 wood was fine into the wind keeping the shot low. Hail began coming down,,, I posted 2 pictures,, the longest bridge in America sunshine with a puffy cloud,, headed to the 9th hole to the hail covered green at the 11th the weather turned here in minutes then sunshine and almost took off my coat then another blitz of hail on the 14th. Fortunately the carts where covered keeping me dry. on 17 the thunder began,, holy smokes I tucked in close to a house for a bit and lit a cigar about 15 minutes I sat still looking at the GPS in the cart to see if they are calling players in and looking at my phone weather radar. A marshall came up on me at 17th tee box and we chatted a bit as the sky cleared even though the hail was still on the fairways and greens he left I hit par,, 18th was good as well got there in 3 , 3 putted through the remaining hail on the green. 88 overall score. The weather seemed to match what happened at The Masters

Stay in the fairways out of the bunkers and below the pin.

AWESOME!

Played twice in really bad weather, staff looked at me like I was crazy both times. Needless to say I had the course to myself. Even with the rain and high winds I loved the experience, reminded me of a decent day in Scotland.

Course was in good shape, bent fairways and greens with my only complaint being the Poa that's quite prevalent on the greens. Course layout in my opinion was great and challenging. Water in play on numerous holes, especially marsh areas which made the course visually stunning. Not a bad hole on the course. If your in the Ocean City area this is a must play!

Wow