Highland Florida Golf Club

• 1650 S Highland Park Dr, Lake Wales, Florida 33853, Polk County
  • www.highlandflgolf.com

Year built: 1927
Architect(s): Wayne Stiles (1927), John Van Kleek (1927)
Type: Public
Greens: Tifdwarf Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Silver 72 5174 yards 69.1 113

"A Hidden Gem from long ago...loveit!"

danmann1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/29/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Today I made what becomes a semi annual pilgrimage . I traveled from my home town Sebring to Highland park to play golf. For approximately 29 years I have enjoyed what is a well kept secret in the Lake Wales area Highland Fla Golf club as it  now named. For the last few years honestly I found the course in some state of disrepair. I never gave up hope that someday this beauty might be restored to its playability, for all to enjoy. I cannot tell you how many times I have told many friends about the beauty and "go back in time appeal" that is golf course has. As recently as last January I had played here never caring about conditions so much as peace and having fun just playing the game. I went  today and Dixie greeted me with a smile at the counter. She is such a breath of fresh air. I was astonished at the changes I saw. Instead of a endless stream of palm frons and typical Fla blown down limbs l saw reseeded fairways and greens so close to being just right . Emaculate bunkers. Remembering Irma has only been 2 months ago. I was even more at peace. He/She, who ever might play this hidden gem must know that Charlie , Dixie,and Staff have given their heart and soul to this slice of heaven. Talk to them they will tell you, they show you. My biggest fear in the past, was each time I came back might be my last .Do to a closure. Now simply because of what is a massive undertaking by these folks, there is forever hope. Just close your eyes and remember courses like this were built to last. There is no fast turnover and closing in of the golf course community involved here,This is pure love of the game .I would say this to all if you ever have a day that you just want to get away and see nice rolling hills and an old style friendly no pressure atmosphere , you have to go no further than Highland Fla. Golf Club. If you are not to hung up on of playing an endless ripoff of enduring a  whos who golf courses with the slow play and bad staff, please come try this with your mind and spirit open and  do it with someone you love or just love to play golf with and spread the word. Or just do as I do. I treat myself and come home smiling knowing that someday I say I remember when, Dixie forever smiling, and Charlie never giving up changed this place forever, when so many scoffed and gave up. Give in ! Take a trip and  leave your class A personality in the trunk with your street shoes and play Highland Park Florida Golf Club. I would call it the Bandon Dunes of Central Florida. Rustic, back to nature, and instead of pretending to look 94 years old remember its actually is. This course is what they all dare to be and act like its so cool. Know what? Pay attention or this course will get you, its very playable in all aspects by todays standards. Give it a try and have fun.  I will  take Highland  Park over any so called new course any day. Thanks again Dixie and Charlie I will see you soon!!

Dan .

"Needs Attention"

Drummer65's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/24/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The layout of this course is terrific, small, challenging greens, and fun to play. OK, it would be more fun if it were maintained better. My partner and I lost four balls just off the fairway. The greens are small (which is OK) but need trimming, Stimp was about 9, which took some getting used to...We had an 8:00 tee time, and "Bob" didn't show up until 8:15, after two calls! This place has such potential, I've got to try it again. It's not long, but it could be fun. At this time, play for the enjoyment, not the score.

"Similar to Harder Hall C.C. & Plantations Otter GC but w/ some elevation."

extennisnowgolfer's avatar
Florida Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 2/2/2012

Love the layout. Has some unique holes, especially the holes where you're hitting downhill & uphill shots. Fairway are sparse sometimes. Rough can be high enough to lose errant balls. Tee boxes fair. Postage stamp greens are hairy & slow. Fun course though.