Plantation Palms Golf Club

Plantation Palms Golf Club, designed by David Harman, provides every Tampa golfer with a challenging and rewarding golf experience. The links-style design starts with a welcoming par 5, and then slowly steps up with a mixture of strong par 3s. Just 10 minutes north of Tampa, this course was carved a 400-acre citrus grove that slopes from west to east, providing interesting elevation changes. Water is in play on 17 of 18 holes. Plantation Palms Golf Club has an attractive framing of greens by the use of pine trees, water and large snow-white sand traps. The true-rolling elevated greens have good movement and are a challenge for golfers.
Plantation Palms Golf Club
Scorecard for Plantation Palms Golf Club
Blue M: 72.6/139 557 404 355 199 369 395 215 435 516 3445 367 493 187 379 528 342 432 161 404 3293 6738
White M: 70.1/131 W: 72.0/120 521 375 330 179 353 366 188 415 476 3203 330 468 175 351 491 319 387 141 375 3037 6240
Gold M: 67.8/127 494 352 312 159 338 340 167 372 440 2974 310 403 164 324 474 300 357 121 363 2816 5790
Red W: 68.0/113 467 325 300 145 314 321 134 338 404 2748 281 366 133 291 438 268 347 113 328 2565 5313

Year Built 2000
Architect David Harman (2000)

Pull-carts No

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Collared shirt, bermuda shorts req, no denim

Worth the drive.

If you play white tees at other courses, do it here too. Plenty of teeth for less than 6000. Speed of greens inconsistent but still nice surface to put on. I liked it.

Great layout

I really like this course, friendly staff and the pub food is very good. Greens were in good shape but very slow. Pace of play was slow.

Plantation Palms

Beautiful course. Conditions were excellent. Layout somewhat challenging.

BEautiful & challenging

For an average golfer (bogie most holes) I has delighted to play this course. It had wide fairways and beautiful greens. The mid-day was stress free with no traffic, which was a blessing as it kept my nerves to a minimum and my pace on track. I loved the challenge, as some of the distance and hilliness of the holes could really be a test of perseverance, shot placement and stick choice.

I will definitely return and try to improve my score to at least par the course!

Plantation Palms - 10/27/2018

I've played this course many time but our area had a rainy summer and this course does not drain well. I played when it was cart path only and that was enough for me to let this place dry out before returning. Well it is dry and they recently added sand to all the greenside traps. Greens are in good shape but a little slower than what I'm used to. Real nice layout and is long when played from the blue tees. Overall a fine day just wished I had not doubled the 18th to shoot 81. Will play regularly again for the next few months for sure.

Disappointing

This course has been part of our regular rotation for a while now and I have been impressed by the progress that has been made here over the last couple of years. However, the current conditions are a BIG step backwards.

First of all, there is NO sand in any of the traps. In fact, they are so filled with weeds that our foursome agreed to allow a player to play alongside the trap if his ball went into them. I assume they are saving money by not refilling the traps with sand until the heavy rains end and the snowbirds return. But that didn't help us.

The second and bigger problem was the condition of the greens. We found that they were recently punched, although neither the course of the Golfnow website made that info available. When most courses punch their greens, they then sand them to fill a lot of the holes and to even out the space between them. These were not sanded, and had many bare spots. The putts would bounce up and down, left and right, so badly that we had to make a rule that a player would only take a maximum of 2 putts because they were totally unplayable and ridiculously slow. 20 foot putts could change directions several times before they reached the hole. It was almost comical. This is like when somebody cuts the grass super low in their backyard and then think they have a putting green. Totally unacceptable. These greens need to be sanded, watered, and ROLLED. I'm sure you will have the same experience if you play here in the near future. We will wait 60 days before we play here again.

Sept 21, Plantation Palms

Fun, challenging layout. Greens were recently punched, and very slow....I've played here with better green conditions. Fairways pretty good, even with all the rain lately. Good value for us tho.

Happy To See Course Has Reopened!

I’ve always enjoyed the layout at Plantation Palms. Glad to see the course has reopened. Good value for the time of day we were able to play and the cost. Greens look and roll great. The whole course could be mowed but I understand the daily challenge from the rain. The bunkers require a lot of work! The majority of the bunkers did not look like they’d been touched. I hope the course is able to get back to its original conditions.

No Improvements since reopening.

Played this course early this year(2018) and decided to give it another try since the first shot was a bad experience.

Started with the guy in the shop saying you could only hit 120yd shots on the range, followed by cart path only. Carts aren't allowed in the parking lot, so after paying and getting my range bucket of 120 yard balls, i parked my cart and went back for my bag, left the range bucket full on the floor board of the cart and my receipt clipped on the score card holder. The cart kid, re parked my cart, threw away my receipt, and put my bucket on the wall beside the bag drop. I asked him what happened to my cart with the balls in it, he said " well it didn't have a bag on it."

This round wasn't any better. There are only 2 positives to take away, Large greens and a decent layout. The upkeep is horrible. Tees are sparse once again and the greens aren't much better. The front 9 greens were a little better than the back. The back 9 greens had patches and bare spots on just about each green. None of the bunkers are kept up. Some are completely over grown (9th hole) and just left with long grass/weeds in them. See the pictures for some examples, even found a a light bulb in one bunker. For 34$ I left the course feeling like I was robbed. 12$ would be a fair price for such conditions, Every other course in the surrounding area is in better shape. Not sure what is taking so long for this course to bounce back, but I'm staying away for a while.

Getting Better and Better!

I have reviewed this course several times and this is the first time I have given 4 stars. Once again, the course was totally abandoned until the current owners bought it and started bringing it back. The bare spots have mostly grown in, the fairways are filling in nicely, and the greens are looking good and rolling better. The ONLY negative I have is that the greens are not receptive to incoming shots-many good shots will bounce over the back. Even the sound of the ball landing on the greens has sort of a "woody" sound as if there was wood below the soil that the greens are built on. I know nothing about green construction, but these are definitely different than the millions of other holes I have played elsewhere. I don't want to praise the course too much because it will get crowded and expensive. This is a GREAT layout and a fantastic value right now.

Getting Better!

This course just keeps improving and improving. PP is a very challenging and interesting layout that continues to improve since it was rescued from retirement about 2 years ago. I was amazed by how NON-soggy the course was considering the daily heavy rains we have been seeing lately.

The ONLY negative I can come up with is that the greens are still hard as a rock, so that even well struck high trajectory wedges are hard to keep on the green unless they land way up front. Other than that, you should come over and face a course that will challenge your game.

Loved the course, unfortunately we got rained out on 12 but will be back to play it again.

Slow greens

Greens were very slow, unlike the 11 rating promoted on the website. Spots around the green, needed work. Good course to practice on but overall a little disappointed. Regardless the course was wide open.

Overall course fine.

Overall the course is fine, but needs some work. The sand traps are going to be totally redone in the very near future. I am sure the management will be getting the course in excellent shape as time goes on. The staff is excellent and very accommodating, helpful, and friendly. Some folks complained about water during the first weeks of June. They had more than 8 inches of rain in just a few days. Any course would be wet with that much rain. Will definitely play again next week. Also, Mullugan’s Pub serves good food and very cold beer.

Great challenge

Course layout is awesome and challenging from back tees. They have some uniquely beautiful holes not seen in other Bay area courses. Good stuff

Plantation Palms is a Terrific Course!

Aside from the soggy course requiring cart path only course maneuvering, we truly enjoy our round. Every time we play we enjoy it even more! We will definitely be back.

Stay away from this course

First problem was that they had four groups teeing off at 9:30 no one said why. We had to wait to see off at 10:00 . The course was in such bad shape weeds in fairway holes and mud everywhere,the bunkers had weeds growing in them and were rock hard. After 2 1/2 hours to play front nine we left. Can't believe they actually charge to play.

CART PATH ONLY

Lot of rain this week and Plantation Palms shows it. Was told it was CART PATH ONLY while on the third hole. Front fairways were NOT recently mowed but greens were cut but were choppy and balls wobbled near the hole. I’m not a young man so that was much more walking than I expected in the Floida afternoon heat. I will check with the pro shop before playing in the conditions again. Staff is always courteous and friendly. Beverage cart girl worked hard and made several laps of the course. I generally enjoy playing Plantation Palms but today was not as delightful as expected.

Trying to come back, but struggling

Conditions have taken a step backwards. Ther’s been a lot of rain but course does not drain well. Fuzzy fairways and bumpy greens. Very nice staff. Just don’t think they can get it back to it’s glory days.

Lutz, Florida